Cowboy Bebop Fan Fiction ❯ Smoke Gets in Your Eyes ❯ One-Shot

[ P - Pre-Teen ]
Author's Note:

First off, obligatory copyright notice. Cowboy Bebop isn't mine, I'm just borrowing the characters for a little bit. The song "Smoke Gets in Your Eyes" isn't mine either...I don't know who sings it actually, I just know it's a song title and seemed appropriate.



Smoke Gets in Your Eyes
LH-chan 2002


That dream again.... I glance quickly around the room to assure myself that it truly was a dream.

The common room of the Bebop, not an operating room in a hospital.

The old beat-up couch, not a cold operating table.

A blanket hangs half off the couch, the other half still tangled around my legs. Someone must have thrown it over me after I fell asleep here.
The ship is quiet. Everything seems perfectly normal.... I let my head drop onto my hand.

I hate that dream.

It comes back to me every now and then. Always the same thing: The memory of the operation that installed my fake eye.

No doubt why it came to me tonight. Not after what that girl, Roco's sister Stella, said. Not the part about me having something wonderful inside me. I stand by what I said before: I've got nothing like that left...dead men can't have anything left.

No, she said that things can be seen more clearly when you can't see with your eyes. I wonder...about that.... The fake eye doesn't see, though it's connected to the nerves and muscles. It's only to make it move like my other one, so it's hard to tell which isn't real. A cosmetic thing. Making a prosthetic eye see isn't one of the things that doctors can do...or at least they couldn't then, I don't know now, I haven't kept track. I understand what Jet means about his arm...this eye is my eye. I don't even notice the difference anymore.

It really is amazing how you adapt.

It wasn't like that, before. Half-blind, I thought it was all over. How could I fight, or pilot, or...anything...if I couldn't see? But life then didn't allow time for thinking about things like that. There was no time to question. If I didn't fight, I'd die. If I couldn't pilot my ship, I couldn't get out of danger, and I'd still die. No time to say "I can't".

I trained, I practiced, I honed my Jeet Kune Do skills to a point that I could fight with both eyes closed. I went out in Swordfish II every chance I had. To Hell if I crashed, there was only one way to learn. I think I could fly her with both eyes closed too, if I wanted.

I still drag the tail landing from time to time though....

I think...I might have been able to see more clearly then....

But it's different, once you're a dead man.

Even though I've gotten my sight back, like they say you do when you die. I don't see clearly, not in this dream I'm not really living. This dream I only see in one eye...while the other eye replays the past, the life I lost, before it was swept away in blood and gunsmoke.
Gunsmoke that clouds my eyes and leaves me drifting in the dream, feeling like, any minute, I'll wake up...in another lifetime....

Maybe there I'll see clearly again....


............


See you Space Cowboy...