Cowboy Bebop Fan Fiction ❯ Tenshi Trail: Shin Heart ❯ Vol. One, Chapter Nine: Hard Case ( Chapter 9 )

[ Y - Young Adult: Not suitable for readers under 16 ]

Hard Case
The Hammerhead landed in front of the courthouse. Jet turned to Ume. The sensei looked pale all over. With good reason today. This was day two of her wrongful death suit. The family wouldn't give up at all until they made her pay for their son's death. Day one turned out to nervous-wrecking. She didn't know how day two would turn out. Jet noticed her trembling.
“Aw Ume,” he said to her. “What's wrong?” His girlfriend looked over at him.
“I don't think I can do this!” she said forced out of her mouth. “I'm sorry! I thought that I could, but I realize now that I can't! They'll eat me alive in there. I can't take another day in there!” Ume began fighting back her tears. “I don't know if I can make it anymore!” she cried. “I'm just going to settle out of court.” Jet quickly grabbed her hand. The sensei looked up right away. Jet gave her a stern look.
“You shouldn't have to pay for something that's not your fault,” he said to her strongly. “Personally, he got what was coming to him. But that's not the point. If you give up now, his family will be your life however. This is your chance to serve all ties to the asshole for good! We can't blow this! Do you understand?” His words calmed her right down. She felt her strength returning again. The woman realizes that Jet wasn't going to leave her hanging out to dry after all. He meant what he said about supporting her. Ume held his hand back.
“Right!” she called. “I want to be with you and get them out of my life once and for all!” Jet smiled at her proudly.
“I know you can do this,” he said. His girlfriend nodded at him.
“Thanks Jet!” she called. The man opened the cockpit and the sensei stepped out.
“I'll pick you up later today!” he said.
“Okay,” Ume replied. Then, she headed into the courthouse. Jet stayed until she went inside. Then, he fired up and flew away. Day two of Isamu vs. Isamu began.
The court had been packed since morning. Ume felt really small here. She felt as if she could shrink away into the floor. The talking all around didn't help her either. The sensei had to take a couple of breaths in order to keep herself going. Once she made it to the defendant's chair, Ume sat down and looked around. Her deceased husband's family sat on the plaintiff's side. They grinned at her like hungry animals. They wanted to eat her alive. They wanted blood today. They came to see her sweat and cave under pressure like a cardboard table with many weights on it. Ume glared at them coldly. She decided not to give them the satisfaction today. The sensei knew that she had support on her side this time. She couldn't let Jet down. The judge slammed his gavel against the bench.
“Order in the court!” he called out. “This is day two of Isamu vs. Isamu! Prove your case!” The plaintiff's lawyer stepped forward.
“Your honor,” he said. “I would like to call Mrs. Isamu to the stand!” Ume kept on her fighting face at those words. The old woman stood up and walked over to the man with the bible. She placed her right hand upon it. The man looked at her with distrust in his eyes. He knew that she would lie through her teeth in this case. But what could he say? He's just the man that holds the bible.
“Don' you swear to tell the truth, the whole truth, and nothing but the truth, so help you god!” he said. The old woman smiled at him in fake innocence.
“I do!” she said. The first lie already. This would be a doozy today. Throughout the plaintiff's questioning, Mrs. Isamu lied the whole time. Everyone in the court saw it. But they couldn't say anything. They had no proof. The Isamu family had been known to be skilled liars for a long time now. They were so good at it that one would be confused on which one was the truth and which was the lie. Her lawyer turned to the judge.
“No further questions,” he said. The lawyer returned to his seat. Mrs. Isamu grinned to herself on the witness stand. The defense's turn now. He knew the right questions to nail her against the wall.
“Mrs. Isamu,” he said. “Why do you think my client should be held responsible for your son's death?”
“I already answered that,” she replied.
“I know,” the lawyer replied. “But I'm just really curious. I mean there was no evidence to suggest that Mrs. Isamu had anything to do with her husband's death. She wasn't even in the house when he died, am I right?”
“Yes,” Mrs. Isamu replied.
“Your son was a powerful mob leader, am I right?” the defense asked.
“Yep!” the woman proudly bragged. Ah, a crack in the fort. Mrs. Isamu always bragged about the status of the family to all that would listen. In the past, she got away with it because no one could touch the Isamu family. But, now would not be a good time to say things like that.
“I see,” the defense lawyer went on. “So, why go after my client if she wasn't even there in the beginning?” Mrs. Isamu went quiet there. She looked at them with a pale face.
“Because,” the woman blurted out without thinking. “He's my son and someone has to take responsibility for his death!”
“Even if it is an innocent bystander?” the defense asked.
“Yes!” Mrs. Isamu yelled out loud. Ume glared at her former mother-in-law coldly. “That evil bitch!” she thought. “You would just give me Hell just for your son's death! You should burn in Hell with him!” Right then, the sensei found her will to fight once again. This time, it didn't leave her at all. The lawyer turned to the judge.
“No further questions,” he replied. Then he went back to the defendant's chair. The trial dragged on into evening. Ume looked like a worn out rag doll by the end. She breathed in exhaust. Who knew keeping a brave face the whole time could tire someone down? The sensei would just be happy to get this trial over with. She just wanted to be home to her students and Jet Black.
By the end, Ume found her boyfriend waiting for her in Hammerhead in front of the courthouse. She joy filled her heart as she hurried straight over to him.
“So,” he said. “Is it all worth fighting for?” The sensei smiled at him boldly.
“Hell yes!” she cried out. “Anything to get that evil shrew out of my life permanently!” Jet grinned at her.
“Glad to here that,” he replied. Then, he helped his girlfriend into the ship and they flew off for the day. The war had just started today! May the best fighter win!
Say You in Space, Sensei