Cowboy Bebop Fan Fiction ❯ Tenshi Trail: Shin Heart ❯ Vol. One, Chapter Eleven: My Guardian ( Chapter 11 )

[ Y - Young Adult: Not suitable for readers under 16 ]

My Guardian
Sakura came home from the hospital. She had a long day there. The tenshi-chi just wanted to go home and be in Spike's arms for the rest of the night. But as usual, there would be a change of plans. The nurse made it back into Bebop. Ed raced up to her.
“MAIL!!!!!” she yelled out. “Tenshi-lady has mail!!!” She waved the scroll wildly in her hands. Sakura looked at her slightly surprised.
“Really?” she asked. “From who?” Ed shrugged at her.
“Dunno!” the tech geek called. Sakura took the scroll and looked at it for herself. She recognized it right away. The nurse went quiet right away.
“Thanks Edward,” she mumbled to her “younger sister.”
“Welcome!” Ed called out. Sakura headed back to her room. The tenshi-chi sat down onto the bed she shared with Spike. She took another look at the scroll. Yes, it's Amadeus' alright. But, she hadn't gotten a letter from him in months. What could he be writing to her for now? Only one way to see. Sakura drew in a deep breath and pulled the crimson string. The scroll fell open. The tenshi-chi began reading to herself quietly. This time, the scroll read:
My Little Lass:
I have returned to you again. But, all is not well around you. I am not suppose to tell you this. But, I know that you can handle this now. So, I'm going to tell you the truth before I die. You have a demon of darkness within you. It is like a ticking time bomb. But, yours is different from the others. Because of your power, I had to put one and a half of another one in your heart. This is your failsafe. I put it there to protect you.
 
Sakura looked up some. “Protect me…” she mumbled to herself. She began falling into another daze. A black backdrop slowly fell around her. Kaze-san appeared right in front of her. Sakura looked on surprised.
“Momma!” she gasped out. The ghost didn't speak at first. She just stepped forward and hugged her beloved child tightly. Sakura lied up against her soft breasts. The tenshi-chi shut her eyes lightly. Kaze-san put her chin on the top of the girl's head.
“Yes,” she murmured. “I am back to warn you.” Sakura slowly opened her eyes and looked up at her guardian.
“Momma,” she said. “What do you mean?” Kaze-san gently ran her fingers through the nurse's hair.
“Shhh!” she whispered to her. “You mustn't worry. Spike will be there to protect you no matter what.” Sakura nodded at her quietly.
“Yes,” she replied. Kaze-san drew in a deep breath. She didn't want to do this. But, Amadeus insisted on telling her truth right now. The ghost sighed again. “Oh Amadeus!” she thought. “I hope you know what you are doing with this one!” Kaze-san turned her daughter's face to her. Sakura looked up at her with hopeful eyes. The ghost prepared herself to spill it out.
“In your heart,” she began. “Is something called a shin heart. It is a small piece of muscle that regulates your powers and morals. When the seventh chaka in a tenshi-chi is destroyed, the shin heart becomes activated. You are in danger because you have one and a half of a shin heart.” Sakura nuzzled her cheek closer to Kaze-san's breasts.
“Why is that?” she asked. Her guardian took in another painful deep breath. More of the truth coming would be painful. But, it had to come out on her former lover's behalf. Kaze-san mentally prepared herself to tell more.
“The shin heart has a chance of turning a tenshi-chi fallen by a certain trigger,” she explained. “You have a higher risk because you have an extra. If the shin heart can't be contained, the tenshi-chi has to be slaughtered!” Kaze-san broke down into tears as she hugged her daughter closer to her chest.
“I don't want that for you,” she wailed. “You are just too precious for me!” The ghost wept bitter tears about the future if her shin heart became activate. Sakura cuddled closer to her guardian.
“It's okay,” she murmured to Kaze-san. The ghost looked down at her slightly surprised.
“Hm?” she asked. Sakura looked up at her smiling.
“Spike and them are here to protect me,” she replied. “I will be fine. Don't worry about me.” Kaze-san smiled at her in soft pride. Sakura had grown up some still she lost her virginity to Spike. Maybe she could survive after at all.
“You're right,” she said. “I wish nothing but the best for you and Spike.” Sakura gave her a little nod. Kaze-san slowly leaned in and kissed her daughter on the lips. Sakura relaxed and let her do so.
In a few minutes, the tenshi-chi slowly came back to earth. She knew now what Amadeus was warning her about. The nurse knew that she would have to be extra careful in the days leading up to her shin heart activating. If only it were that simple…
Even though she told the truth, Kaze-san's heart still ached inside. She didn't tell the tenshi-chi everything. There's one truth that the ghost couldn't bring herself to say. This mission could be the last time that she and Sakura would ever see each other again. Worry filled the ghost up once again. Sure the tenshi-chi was growing up and forming her own sense of independence, but can Kaze-san herself cope with losing Sakura when it's all said and done. Kaze-san sighed to herself as she fought back the tears. “Amadeus,” she thought. “I hope you have done the right thing by telling her the truth!
Dry Your Tears, Ghost