Crossover Fan Fiction / Crossover With Non-anime Series Fan Fiction / Naruto Fan Fiction ❯ NAvatarUTO ❯ Paths Converge ( Chapter 28 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

Sasuke scowled at the ground. It figures that the one time Kakashi showed up on time, it was to tell him that they'd have to skip training. He had said he had other business to attend to and gave his signature closed eye smile before heading towards the canal. Typical. How the hell was he supposed to get stronger with a teacher who always dropped out on him? How did Naruto do it? Sasuke thought back to the battle against Gaara in the forest. Not only had Naruto used a ridiculous amount of shadow clones, but after all that managed to summon a toad comparable in size to Shukaku. Sasuke grit his teeth, remembering how he'd been helpless while Naruto had taken Gaara down single-handedly. Since when had he gotten so good? Maybe Sakura would know. Kakashi had said something about her guarding the Avatar so she was probably outside his apartment. Sasuke turned and headed back to town.

Sakura stood outside the door to the Avatar's suite. She tensed, pulling out a kunai as a dark figure approached. "Who goes there?"

"Stand down," an impatient voice quipped, "I'm here to speak with the Avatar."

Sakura frowned. "For what purpose and under whose authorization?"

"My own." The figure said, answering both questions.

Sakura squinted at the guy. Shadows were obscuring his face and she didn't recognize him. "And you would be? State your name, rank, and affiliation."

There was a pause. "No."

"Excuse me?" Sakura exclaimed, irritated at being completely disregarded. Finally the figure stepped out of the darkness and Sakura sucked in her breath when she finally got a good look at him. "Itachi Uchiha, S rank criminal, missing nin."

"You're trying to give yourself courage by acting smart and listing everything you know about me." Itachi observed. "Pathetic."

Before Itachi could activate his sharingan, Sakura slammed her eyes shut and growled, "What are you doing here Itachi Uchiha?"

"That, foolish little girl, is none of your business." Itachi stated. He leaned over and put a hand on her cheek. She flinched but refused to open her eyes. Itachi tried to pull one of her lids up only to jump back as Sakura shrieked and swiped her kunai at him. He sighed. "You can't honestly think you can defeat me little girl."

Sakura's knees were trembling as she spoke; "Of c-course not! I know I'm going to die now, but that's not going to stop me from protecting my village!"

Itachi smirked. "I have no intention of killing you. You're too weak to be worthy of an honorable death."

That did it. That was the last straw. How dare he call her weak? How dare he laugh at her loyalty? Sakura's eyes flashed with anger and she glared at the man before her. He smiled. "Got you."

Sakura slumped to the ground, caught in a genjutsu. Just before she lost consciousness she managed to snarl, "You asss…"

"Actually, I'm a weasel."

Back In the flat, Aang and the others were arguing about what to do next.

Aang, Toph, Sokka and Katara sat glumly in what had been essentially their home for the last two months. Each of them had gloom on their mind.

"So what now?" Sokka asked, finally voicing everyone's thoughts. "We're not safe here."

"When were we ever safe?" Toph snorted.

Sokka relented, "Touche. But the point is, the village was just attacked, they're too weak right now to give us adequate guards, and they may be on the brink of war."

"We need to leave." Aang summed up.

Katara looked up in surprise. "What? We can't leave now! They need us! The Leaf is in trouble and we should help."

"Katara, this is not the war we set out to fight." Aang pointed out.

"What difference does it make? Why should one war take precedence over another?" She snapped back.

"Because this isn't our responsibility!" Aang argued. "I'm the only person who can stop the Fire Nation. The ninjas will have to deal on their own. Besides, we're only a burden to them now. They're still trying to protect us even though they're too weak to do so. Not only that, but they are no longer obliged to since Zuko has found out where we are. Leaving is the only way we can help them. Right now I need to be there for the benders."

"Aang's right." Toph said. "And staying here hasn't gotten us any closer to our goal either. Aang still has two elements to learn."

"Well it's not exactly like we've been trying! Katara yelled. "You were all too busy taking the chunin exams! And now, right when Konoha is in trouble we can't just say 'see ya later' and leave!"

"Sure we can." Sokka shrugged. "It's not like they'd even notice."

Katara opened her mouth to protest, but just then they heard a firm knock at the door.

"Now who could that be?" Aang mumbled as he stood to get the door. Cautiously, he pulled it open and saw a boy in a black cloak with red clouds. "Um, Hello?" Aang said tentatively. He noticed the headband with the leaf emblem on it, so the guy must be an ally. He must have gotten in a really bad fight though for there was a deep gash across the thing. Aang shuddered to think what could have gouged the metal so smoothly.

"I came to speak to you and found your guard unconscious." Itachi explained. Aang opened the door fully to see that Sakura lay in his arms. "She needs rest. Would it be too much trouble to set her down in one of your beds?"

"Of course!" Aang exclaimed, worry written all over his face. "Follow me!"

Itachi obliged, following a few steps behind Aang and politely looking around as if he handn't already scoped out the place when he had waited for the gaang during the invasion. They gathered in the living room and Itachi gently placed Sakura down. "This is Katara, Sokka and Toph." Aang introduced.

Itachi nodded politely. "Itachi."

"Nice to meet you, Itachi." Katara said. "Thank you for bringing Sakura to us." She pulled her flask of water and began hovering orbs over the kunoichi. Katara frowned looking down at the girl lying before her. "I can't figure out what's wrong with her."

"It's chakra exhaustion." Itachi easily supplied. "I've seen it before, but that brings me to my point. You're not safe here anymore. The village is weak. A genin who shouldn't be anywehere but in the hospital is not a suitable means of security for the world's only hope for peace. My organization, The Akatsuki would like to supply you with our protection." Itachi raised an eyebrow at the looks the kids were sending each other. "Are you opposed to our offer?"

"No, not at all." Sokka cut in. "We were actually just talking about that."

"Good." Itachi said. "Pack up your things. The sooner we leave here the better."

"I don't want to be a burden anymore!" Aang protested. "We've gotten along by ourselves so far!"

Itachi nodded and put a hand on Aang's shoulder. "Then don't think of it as us protecting you like a child, Avatar. No one doubts your capabilities. We, The Akatsuki, wish to help you because we have a common goal to achieve: peace. A lightning bender and a fire bender are among our ranks and are willing to teach you."

Another knock sounded at the door and Toph lazily stood to get it. "It's like earth kingdom rush hour in here." She muttered.

Itachi stood. "I have to go now. Come with me somewhere we can finish this discussion in private."

Aang hesitated.

Toph opened the door.

"Where's Sakura? I was told she was guarding you four." Sasuke demanded.

Toph raised an eyebrow mockingly. "Whatcha need her for?" She asked. "Is Mr. Moody in looooove?"

Sasuke narrowed his eyes angrily. "Where is she? I need to talk to her."

"Now Aang" Itachi urged. But Aang was distracted by Toph arguing with Sasuke in the other room.

"All right, all right! Hold your horses, cranky pants." Toph whined. "Pinkie fainted from catra tiredness and a nice man brought her to us"

"Chakra exhaustion?" Itachi heard Sasuke's voice sound around the corner.

It was too late.

"Sakura has perfect chakra control. No way she got…" Sasuke rounded the corner and froze. His eyes locked on Itachi and everything else disappeared.