Crossover Fan Fiction / InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ The Journey to the City of Endless Night ❯ Chapter Fifty-One ( Chapter 51 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]

Chapter Fifty-One
 
A warm breeze rustled the verdant grass. Shuffling along a hill, Jaken kicked a loose rock. The toad demon tripped, careening forward. He squawked as he slipped on the cool grass, his staff sailing through the air to land straight up in the ground. Beating his tiny fist into the ground, Jaken spit dirt and grumbled, “Why did you leave me behind, Sesshomaru-sama? Your faithful servant should be at your side. Not that brazen child!”
 
Standing back up, Jaken brushed pieces of grass off of his robe. He snatched the Staff of Two Heads back up and continued on his way. When he reached a small rock, Jaken took out a small knife and chiseled a line into the rock face. “Thirty-four days. When will you come back for me, my lord?” Jaken slumped against the rock, staring forlornly out towards the endless plain. He still couldn't understand why his lord had abandoned him and allowed Rin to travel along. That should have been his place, not hers.
 
Glancing over, he could clearly make out the interconnected twin towers. Jaken sighed. It had been his home for little over a month. Each day he hoped that Sesshomaru would rise above the hill to collect him and they could continue on their way. The endless waiting gnawed at Jaken's slim patience and the two gentle old men he stayed with only provided him with cryptic messages about his lord's doings and whereabouts. However, their method of finishing each other's sentences infuriated Jaken the most.
 
“How could you leave me behind, Sesshomaru-sama? Why did you leave me with these humans?” Jaken whined.
 
Jaken stood, steadying himself on the rock. He continued down into the valley, wandering further away from the towers. He arrived at the small cottage and plastered his face against the window, staring in. It looked just as the sorceress had left it: neat and tidy. Blinking, the toad imagined his lord sitting at the table. Sesshomaru, even in his memory, looked as regal as ever. His lord's long, silver hair brushed the floor. The royal markings stood out in stark contrast to his pale face. Sesshomaru's posture projected confidence and strength. A gleam of sunshine caught a silver bowl and the vision faded. Jaken pulled away from the window to sit down in front of the cottage. “Don't forget your loyal servant, Sesshomaru-sama.”
 
Horse hooves approached and Jaken stood quickly in hope that Sesshomaru had finally returned. His shoulders slumped when he saw sitting astride the horse instead was a young, blonde man. He stopped, looking down at Jaken. “Good morning, Jaken. It's a lovely morning for a walk, don't you think?”
 
Jaken sighed and began to walk up towards the Tree. He was in no mood to talk with the strange young man. The young man followed him and his horse nudged the toad's shoulder, causing Jaken to squawk. Jaken shouted, “Get that filthy animal away from me, you stupid boy!”
 
Eriond smiled and shook his head. “I thought you might want some company. Horse wanted to go for a run.”
 
“I don't care what that stupid animal wanted.” Jaken snorted, making his way towards the tree. “As if I want the company of a human like you.”
 
Eriond frowned, rubbing the neck of his horse. He stared out towards the center of the Vale. His blue eyes looked distant and he said, “Your lord will return to you. I am certain of it. A great evil, however, must be dealt with. Only once it has been destroyed can he return. Not before.” The young man blinked and smiled wide, his angelic face lit up. He said, “Well, I thought I'd offer company but Horse wants to see other parts of the Vale today.” Eriond waved and kicked the sides of his horse. The animal galloped away with such speed that it reminded Jaken of Sesshomaru, seeming to appear as a brown blur before disappearing.
 
“Just what did that strange boy mean? He never makes any sense.” Jaken shook his head, using the Staff of Two Heads as a walking stick. He frowned. “It doesn't matter. I don't need him to tell me that Sesshomaru-sama will return. Foolish boy!”
 
As he reached the middle of the valley, Jaken stared up at the immense tree. Its branches shaded a vast expanse of the grass land. Birds roosted in the upper branches, singing. Jaken envisioned his lord perched amongst the branches, graceful and serene. Sesshomaru's fine silk robe lifted in the breeze and his silver hair shone in the sun. His golden eyes stared upwards towards the sky in contemplation. Jaken shook his head, dispelling the illusion. His lord was not truly here and no matter how much he wished for Sesshomaru's presence it would do Jaken no good to create visions in his mind.
 
A pair of doves circled above and landed before shimmering into the twin sorcerers, Beltira and Belkira. Both wore identical blue robes, their white hair long. They were clean-shaven and identical smiles rested on their lips. Jaken could never tell them apart. When he believed to be speaking to Belkira it would turn out to be Beltira and vice versa. The two men nodded their heads in greeting.
 
“We have been---” began who Jaken thought had to be Beltira.
 
“---looking all over for you,” finished Belkira.
 
“Won't you come back---” Beltira continued.
 
“---to our towers, Jaken? We have breakfast ready---”
 
“---for you.”
 
Jaken's shoulders slumped and he nodded. “Yes. I was just on my way there.”
 
“Why don't we walk---” Belkira began.
 
“---with you, then?” Beltira finished.
 
Jaken gripped his staff tightly in his hands, resisting the urge to flame the two annoying men. He trudged towards the towers as the two old sorcerers followed close behind in silence and for that the toad was grateful. He grumbled, “I should be with Sesshomaru-sama and not with these pesky humans. Why is that brazen child at his side and not me, his most trusted servant?”
 
As they approached the towers, Jaken stared up at the twin buildings connected at the top by a small arch of stone. One of the twins walked up to a hidden door and spoke, “Move.” The rock face of the tower seemingly to be smooth, shifted and opened into a small doorway. It never ceased to amaze Jaken that these humans held such power in a single word; the action seemed so ordinary to them.
 
Beltira began, “Won't you come up---”
 
“---for breakfast, Jaken?” Belkira finished.
 
Jaken entered the dim staircase behind the stone door and slowly climbed upwards into the round turret at the top of the tower. He felt his stomach growl as the smells of cooking meat wafted down to him. The twins' ability to cook was the only thing that made Jaken's stay in the Vale bearable. He hadn't felt the sharp pang of hunger the entire time. They made sure that he remained well fed, even to the point that the little toad had discovered a small paunch around his middle. This morning, the smell of roasted lamb greeted him and he inhaled deeply.
 
Upon entrance, Jaken sat down at the small table set aside for him. Shortly after being left behind, Belkira or Beltira, Jaken couldn't say which one, had simply pointed to the spot and spoke the word “table.” It had been there ever since. He set the Staff of Two Heads aside to rest against the gray stone by his blankets. He rubbed his hands in anticipation. One of the twins turned the roasting meat on the spit over the fire and Jaken watched in fascination as the meat turned.
 
Beltira took the meat off the spit and cut it into slices before handing a plate to the waiting Jaken. He said, “Here is your breakfast---”
 
“---we hope you will enjoy it,” finished Belkira.
 
Jaken pulled at the meat, greedily eating. The lamb melted in his mouth and tasted sweet. He said around a mouthful, “Not bad for human cooking.” Wiping his mouth with his sleeve, he pushed the empty plate aside. Sitting back, Jaken patted his stomach. The meal had been good and now he wanted to take his late morning nap. This had been the routine for the toad demon since arriving in the twin towers, a week after his lord's departure.
 
He slowly stood, crossing to his small pallet on the floor in the corner by the fire. Jaken stretched wide and yawned, curling up into a ball, and pulled the blanket around himself. He closed his eyes, preparing to sleep. The small fire in the tower provided warmth and security as Jaken began to drowse. He heard the soft rustle of a scroll being unrolled and the scrape of a chair against the floor.
 
The toad demon startled from his drowse when he heard one of the twins begin to speak, “And when the Dog that Speaks Little shall succumb to the children of the Dragon God turn to the Demon's Conscience for it shall be her power that shall save him. But, lo, guard well the Demon's Conscience for if she should fall the Spider shall triumph.” The old sorcerer frowned. “Just what does that mean? Children of the Dragon God? But Torak's dead. Maybe the Darine has something.”
 
Jaken opened an eye to see that he was alone with one twin. Where the other one could be puzzled him. His yellow eyes watched the old sorcerer intently. It had been awhile since he had heard such a cryptic message. In the past he had heard the twins refer to Rin as the 'Demon's Conscience' and Sesshomaru as the 'Dog that Speaks Little.' What power could the girl have that his lord would need? It did not make sense to the toad demon. He snorted. “She's just a silly girl. As if she has any power Sesshomaru-sama would need.”
 
The sorcerer shuffled through some other scrolls spread out on the table. He slapped his hand onto the parchment. “Here it is! The Darine says: 'Behold, in the day that the Spider takes up the blade of the Dark Spirit shall the name of the Child of Dark be revealed. The children of the Dragon God shall rejoice and when they should assail the Dog that Speaks Little for the span of three days, fear not, for when the sun sets on the third day shall the Demon's Conscience discover her true strength. Guide and protect the Demon's Conscience well for if harm should befall her all shall be for naught and the Spider victorious.' Seems we have a new Child of Dark, but when will the rest happen?”
 
Jaken sat up, clutching the Staff of Two Heads tightly to his chest like a favorite toy. What the sorcerer had read aloud disturbed him. The thought that someone would attempt to harm his lord unnerved him. Even more, that it would be Rin to save Sesshomaru baffled the toad demon. She was nothing more than a human girl. The toad couldn't fathom how she could possibly hold strength that his lord would need. Setting the staff back against the wall, Jaken settled down in hope that Belkira would believe him to be asleep and continue. He muttered, “My lord is powerful and has no need of that human girl's help.”
 
“Jaken, look out. Your staff---” Belkira called out.
 
Clattering to the floor next to him was his staff and he squawked in surprise, his tiny heart beating rapidly. Snatching it up in his grasp, Jaken pulled himself up. His daily nap had quickly become an act of futility. Jaken stomped towards the stairs and started down them before tripping on his own feet, tumbling head first. He cried out, thrusting the Staff of Two Heads in front of him, hoping that someone would save him. In mid fall, he saw the other sorcerer at the bottom of the stairs. With a slight movement of Beltira's wrist, Jaken hovered in mid-air. Slowly, Jaken moved closer to the bottom of the stairs before being set onto the ground. He panted and bowed low to the sorcerer in thanks.
 
Beltira smiled gently. “You must be more careful, Jaken. We wouldn't want to see you hurt.” The old sorcerer knelt down and helped Jaken to stand. He dusted the toad demon off before handing him his staff. “Here, you're all better now. Have a nice walk. Be more careful.”
 
Jaken clutched his staff tightly to his chest. He brushed past the old man, not replying. The thought that his lord might fall to an attack disturbed him greatly and he wandered away from the towers. Jaken frowned. Who would have the power to harm Lord Sesshomaru? He stopped at the small stream and sat down on the bank, setting his staff across his lap. He watched the sunlight reflect off the water. A soft footstep startled him and he jumped. He let go of the Staff of Two Heads and it rolled into the water. He squawked, “My staff!”
 
A soft laugh could be heard and Eriond joined him on the bank, holding the staff. “It seems this is not your morning.” The horse stood not far away, grazing.
 
Jaken glared in his direction. He snatched his staff back, making sure he had a firm grip on it. He snorted. “I don't remember asking you, you dreadful boy.”
 
Eriond smiled, his blue eyes lit up. He sat down next to him. “You miss them, don't you?”
 
Jaken folded his arms over his staff and glared out into the river. “Try minding your own business, human.”
 
Eriond frowned. “I miss my friends, too. I wasn't allowed on this trip, not this time. It's hard to be left behind when you know those you care about are facing all sorts of danger.” He looked out into the water, casting a stone. It skipped across the water, making ripples before sinking.
 
The toad demon lifted his head, sticking his nose into the air. “Sesshomaru-sama is formidable. He's the Lord of the Western Lands and has no reason to fear anyone. Don't be stupid, boy.” Jaken frowned, keeping his anxiety about what he had overheard to himself. “As if anyone could hurt him. Foolishness!”
 
Eriond sighed and cast another stone. The young man grunted as he fell back. “Geran! There you are! You have Beltira worried about you, you know. You shouldn't run away from the twins.” A little boy, roughly the age of three, pinned him to the ground.
 
Geran smiled wide, his sandy blonde hair falling into his face. He laughed, a high pitch squeal. The little boy hugged Eriond. “Errand!”
 
Eriond smiled gently, sitting up with the small boy. He held him close to his chest. The gesture reminded Jaken of how Sesshomaru, when he believed no one knew, would hold Rin. It was the only time that Jaken could ever recall his lord's regal face holding any tenderness or his harsh gold eyes being soft. Eriond shook his head. “Geran, you really should stay with Beltira and Belkira.”
 
The little boy frowned, his large blue eyes filing with tears. His lip trembled and he started to cry. “No! I want to stay with you and Horse.”
 
Eriond sighed. “But you should let the twins know so they don't worry. Polgara would be very upset if she knew you were running off on them and your parents would be angry. They want you to listen to the twins, okay?”
 
Geran crossed his arms and pouted. “Okay, Errand.” He smiled wide and hugged the young man tightly. “Can we go for a ride on Horse? Please?”
 
“Alright. We should probably let Beltira know, too. Then we'll go for a nice ride, okay?” Eriond smiled gently, ruffling the little boy's sandy hair. He looked towards Jaken. “Will you be alright here on your own, Jaken?”
 
Jaken snorted. “Of course, you stupid boy. I have no need of your company.” He turned his back on the pair and stood, preparing to continue further into the Vale. “Stupid child. Why must you leave me behind with these foolish humans, Sesshomaru-sama?”
 
Eriond laughed softly. “Alright. I'll see you at supper time, then.” He lifted the small boy, placing him onto Horse before joining him on the back of the animal. “Enjoy the rest of your afternoon.”
 
Jaken shook his staff at the pair. “Foolish humans!”
 
He continued along the bank of the small creek, using the Staff of Two Heads as a walking stick. He shook his head. The strange, cryptic messages that the old sorcerer had read aloud returned to him. What did it mean that his lord would be assailed for three days and that Rin would be the only one to save him? It didn't make any sense to the toad. Sesshomaru was strong and could handle any threat. Jaken kicked another rock. He said, “It's all foolishness! All of it!”
 
 
 
Mud splattered on the hem of Miroku's robes as they galloped down the Imperial Highway. The monk drew his hood further over his head to ward away the relentless chill. He had received the hood from Polgara at breakfast, right before they began their trek to the city of Mal Rakuth. Miroku glanced to his left when he noticed a horse pull alongside his. Miroku said, “Well, good morning, Silk.”
 
Silk snorted. “It'd be a better morning if it would stop raining.” The rat-faced man shivered, blowing warm air into one hand. “I can hardly feel my fingers and we've been riding for nearly two hours by now. I know Belgarath wants to pick up the pace, but honestly, Ashaba isn't going anywhere. As if anyone wants that decaying house anyways.”
 
Miroku nodded and sighed. Looking ahead he saw Sango swaying on her horse. Her raven colored hair flowed in the wind, loose down her back. He allowed his eyes to travel to her supple bottom, lingering over it. He lifted his free hand as if to touch it, then blushed, rubbing his neck when he caught Silk's smug expression. He said, “Hopefully we'll find a nice inn tonight.”
 
“One can hope, I suppose.”
 
Both Inuyasha and Sesshomaru pulled in along Miroku's right side. The red hood shrouded most of Inuyasha's face in shadow, except for the disgruntled frown on his lips. A gray hood rested over Sesshomaru's head, also casting much of the Demon Lord's face in shadow.
 
Inuyasha grunted his greeting. “Oi. So what did you find in that stupid city, anyways? Besides mud.”
 
Miroku cleared his throat. “We discovered that Naraku plans on becoming their new God. He also wants to crush Mal Zeth and probably bring it under his control.”
 
Silk nodded. “He also has been trying to reach out to Torak's Church.”
 
Sesshomaru snorted. He did not speak as he rode next to Inuyasha. A frown briefly crossed his face as he glanced towards the thief before he turned his gaze towards the horse Rin rode with Kagome, next to Sango.
 
“Feh. We already knew he was talking to these Grolims. That's not new.”
 
Garion joined them, followed not long after by Belgarath. The young blonde said, “Good morning.”
 
The old sorcerer looked alert and disgruntled. “At this pace, with minimal rest, we should reach Mal Rakuth by nightfall, shortly after sundown.”
 
Silk nodded. “Sounds good to me. Hopefully we won't have any delays.”
 
Sesshomaru stated quietly, “Monk, this Sesshomaru would like to know what else you saw in this Rakand.”
 
Miroku nodded. “Yes, Sesshomaru-sama. We were also told that a Demon Lord named Nahaz had also sided with Naraku. They said that Naraku and Nahaz would liberate them from Malloreon control, particularly the Church.”
 
A frown flickered across the Demon Lord's features again. “I see.”
 
“I suggest while we're in the city that Zakath not pay any visits to the temple for religious observances, that's for sure,” Silk said, blowing into his hand. “In fact, the best policy with all of Torak's temples is to steer clear of them, if at all possible. It's always been one of mine.”
 
“Feh. If it's anything like that grove then I don't want to see it. What's so special about the stupid temple, anyways?” Inuyasha grumbled.
 
“It's not what happens inside, Inuyasha,” Miroku said. “It's what they put outside. On the doors to the temple they have a replica of this Torak.”
 
“So? They're his temples, aren't they?”
 
“You didn't let me finish.” Miroku sighed. “There was another mask. This time of Naraku.”
 
“Naraku? Are you serious?” Inuyasha asked.
 
Miroku frowned. “Yes. Naraku must be serious about appearing as this new God. Perhaps he actually believes it. I can't really say except he had to have ordered the mask made. It was that life like.”
 
“Feh. Whatever. Why am I not surprised. Let me guess, they also hold sacrifices for that asshole.”
 
Miroku nodded. “Yes, unfortunately innocent people are being sacrificed in Naraku's name.”
 
Garion shook his head. “I had hoped all those sacrifices would end after I defeated Torak. It seems they'll never give that up and Naraku is not helping.”
 
“That's pretty much all that happened.” Miroku squinted into the gray mist.
 
The thief chortled. “Not all, my spiritual friend. You left out the most important detail.”
 
Miroku inwardly groaned. When Silk hadn't mentioned the pig during the bath he had hoped the thief would refrain from telling Inuyasha and Sesshomaru. He already had enough embarrassment now that Sango knew. “That wasn't important.”
 
Inuyasha snorted. “Just tell us already, monk.”
 
“If it is important, you should tell us,” Sesshomaru added.
 
The spy's dark eyes danced with glee. “True love is always important.” His nose twitched.
 
Belgarath groaned. “You are the most aggravating man, did you know that?” He turned his horse. “I think I'll go ride with Hettar. He's an Alorn I can tolerate most of the time. At least he doesn't go out of his way to be irritating all the time.”
 
“Feh. What woman did you meet this time, lecher?”
 
Silk laughed. “She came up to him first. And would you believe he rejected her?”
 
“You've got to be kidding me. He rejected her?” Inuyasha's eyes went wide. “You ill, monk?”
 
Sesshomaru's eyes narrowed and his mouth drew into a tight line of disapproval. He glared in Miroku's direction, although he did not comment.
 
“There was no woman.” Miroku clenched his hand into a fist to resist losing his temper.
 
“Sure. As if I believe that. How long have I known you, lecher?”
 
“You want to tell them or should I?” Silk's grin increased.
 
“Silk, don't be so mean.” Garion sighed.
 
Miroku shook his head. “I suppose there is no getting out of this. It was a pig. A pig followed me around and I couldn't get it to leave me alone.”
 
Inuyasha scrunched his nose in confusion. He smiled wide and started to laugh. “A pig? You can't be serious.”
 
“She was a beautiful pig. She had the creamiest skin you've ever seen,” Silk said. “And she was utterly devoted to our dear monk. It took everything to separate them.”
 
Sesshomaru's frown increased and he rolled his eyes, shaking his head slightly. “Foolishness.”
 
Miroku shook his cursed hand at the spy. “Give me one good reason not to suck you up into my Wind Tunnel, Silk.”
 
Inuyasha shook his head as he continued to laugh. He sighed as he caught his breath. “So what do you think Naraku is after this time? Why become a religious figure?”
 
Miroku sighed. “That's what baffles me, but I think it has to do with the fact that if he should appear as this religious figure more will listen to him. Naraku has always enjoyed manipulating people after all. What better way than to give them hope for a God only to crush them.”
 
“Feh. Whatever. Seems like a waste of energy if you ask me.” Inuyasha glanced towards Sesshomaru, nodding. “I think I'll go keep an eye on the road.” He allowed his horse to slow, falling back to the rear while Sesshomaru pushed his to gallop until he reached the front.
 
“Tough crowd.” Silk sighed. “Tell me, monk, have you ever seen that Demon Lord laugh? He seems to take everything so seriously. He didn't smile even once when you admitted a pig followed you around love struck.”
 
“Sesshomaru? He's never been known for showing much emotion, no.” Miroku watched the Demon Lord as he rode ahead. Sesshomaru's long silver hair flowed down the sides of his horse and he sat rigid in the saddle. Miroku shook his head. “And no, I can't really say I've ever seen him laugh.”
 
“He's strange, that's all I'll say. Reminds me of how Zakath used to be.” Silk shrugged. “Hey, monk, have you been practicing at all?”
 
“You mean that Secret Language? Yes.” Miroku nodded. “I must say, it will come in handy if we ever get in a situation like in Rakand.”
 
“Yes, it has come in handy in the past for that very reason.” Silk winked. “I'll teach you some more when we stop for a short rest. I know Belgarath, if he's riding by Hettar the first time those horses start to complain he'll give in and we'll have to stop.”
 
Miroku glanced behind him, noticing the old man and strange, silent horseman riding side by side. He wore a leather tunic and brown hose. His lean frame sat straight in the saddle and his angular face held a grim expression. The old man said something to him and Hettar nodded, his long, black lock moving in the wind.
 
Miroku turned to face the road again when he felt something collide with his chest. “Shippo! What are you doing back here?”
 
Shippo scrambled to ride on his shoulder. “Sango was telling Kagome that you had a pig following you around. Is that true?”
 
Miroku groaned. It seemed everyone was finding amusement at his expense. “Yes. It's not really that big of a deal.” He glared at the spy. Silk stifled his laughter, hiding his wide grin behind his hand. Miroku grumbled, “It's not that funny. Let's just drop it already.” He looked over towards Shippo. “So, tell me, why are you really here, Shippo?”
 
Shippo frowned. “Kagome said she wanted to talk with that red haired girl and Sango about girl stuff.” He stuck his tongue out. “I don't want to hear about that yucky stuff.”
 
Miroku laughed. “Girl stuff, huh? It could be interesting.”
 
Silk said, “Women will do that and it's best that menfolk not hear it. Although, as a Drasnian it'll be difficult to curb my curiosity.”
 
Miroku smiled when he heard Sango's rich, warm laughter. “Ah, to have Inuyasha's hearing. They must be discussing the most fascinating things.”
 
“I'm sure they are, monk.” Silk grinned. “But you don't have Inuyasha's hearing so you'll have to imagine the conversation. I'm sure you can manage that.”
 
Shippo snorted. “You never change, monk.”
 
As they continued, the mist cleared and the clouds dispersed revealing the warm sun. It glinted off of the muddy river that ran alongside the road. The villages they passed were not hostile, but remained wary. The troubles they had encountered on the road to Mal Zeth were absent and they cantered along without much conversation. Miroku allowed his hood to fall about his shoulders. They stopped briefly, only to water the horses.
 
Water sprayed as they drove their horses through a small branch of the river. On the horizon, as sunset approached, a grim city arose. It rested on the banks of the muddy river, almost forbidding anyone to pass. The city looked more like a fortress with high, gray stone walls. Black towers soared above, repelling any travelers. Perched high in them were archers poised to shoot any intruders. It had to be the most uninviting city they had encountered thus far. As they neared, Miroku noticed a large crowd milling around in front of the gates.
 
Silk shook his head. His dark eyes narrowed. “I should have expected this.” He frowned and his large nose twitched. “Your Naraku fellow is killing my business. You do realize this, right?”
 
Miroku sighed. “I can see that.”
 
A loud shout could be heard from the battlements. One archer let an arrow loose. “Get back from that gate! We don't need any demon sympathizers in Mal Rakuth! Turn back and leave!”
 
“Friendly, aren't they? Remind me to thank Zakath for the hospitality of his cities,” Silk quipped.
 
“Now what will we do?” Shippo asked from Miroku's shoulder. “What if we can't get into the city?”
 
“We'll have to get into that city somehow,” Miroku said. “There has to be a way.”
 
Silk blew into his hand. “Besides, I'm tired of sleeping on the ground. One night in an inn will be nice. I suggest we let someone else handle this, though. I don't think those archers will listen to me.”
 
They stopped, dismounting. As they neared the gates an arrow whizzed past. A blur of red flew past Miroku's vision before he saw Inuyasha clutch Kagome and Rin to his chest protectively. He turned his back to the city walls, deflecting another arrow with his robe. He eased out of it, draping it over the girls before facing the city. More arrows landed not far behind Inuyasha. He growled, a hand on Tetsusaiga's hilt. Before he could withdraw the massive fang from its sheath, Sesshomaru joined him, placing his hand over Inuyasha's. Inuyasha glared at his brother. “Back the fuck off, asshole.”
 
Sesshomaru shook his head. “No, little brother.” He looked up towards the city battlements. “Do not waste your energy on a pathetic human city, half-breed.”
 
“Feh. They shoot just one more fucking arrow---” Inuyasha pulled his hand out of his brother's grasp.
 
Miroku sighed. “Someone should do something soon or I think Inuyasha will explode.”
 
“I've noticed that our dog-eared companion has a short temper, yes.” Silk shook his head, pulling on his large nose. “Ah, Belgarath, you might want to do something before we don't have a city to enter.”
 
Belgarath snorted. “As if arrows will stop demons. Ridiculous.”
 
Shippo nodded. “Those archers are lucky, he didn't use the Wind Scar.” He jumped down from Miroku's shoulder. He cried out, “Kagome, are you alright?”
 
“Oi, of course she is, runt,” Inuyasha replied.
 
Kagome hugged Shippo to her chest. She said, “I'm just fine.” She glared at Inuyasha. “Don't be so mean to him, Inuyasha.”
 
Inuyasha snorted, turning his back to them. “Feh.”
 
Miroku shook his head. “Some things will never change.”
 
The old sorcerer crossed his arms. “Zakath, this is your country not mine. Do something.”
 
“Thanks for reminding me, Belgarath.” Zakath's dark eyes glinted. He sighed and stepped closer to the city. “You there, shooting arrows, do you realize you are committing treason? Is this how you greet your Emperor when he visits?”
 
“How do we know you are the Emperor and not someone impersonating his Majesty?” An archer leered. “You look like a common peasant. Where is your entourage? Why weren't we told of your coming?”
 
Zakath pinched his nose and muttered, “How would you like to have a new post in Gandahar?” He looked up towards the battlements. “You do realize that you are being ridiculous. No amount of arrows in the world will ever prevent demons from entering the city.”
 
Another archer gasped. He said, “Kallath, he isn't lying. That is his Majesty. I served under him directly at the Battle of Thull Mardu.”
 
Kallath looked from Zakath to the other archer. “Are you sure Actas?” He squinted, his beady eyes becoming more so.
 
“Yes. And unless you want to find yourself crucified I suggest you apologize to his Majesty and allow his party to enter the city,” Actas replied.
 
Kallath's olive tone became white. He bowed. “Your Majesty, please accept my humble apologizes.”
 
Zakath waved his hand. “Forgiven. However, I suggest you be more careful about how you address strangers in the future.”
 
A trumpet blasted and a deep voice bellowed, “Make way for Kal Zakath!”
 
Zakath sighed. “I told them to drop the 'Kal' from my name.” He shrugged. “Are you satisfied, Ancient One?” He smiled wide at the sorcerer.
 
Belgarath rolled his eyes. He snorted. “I'm surrounded by show-offs.”
 
Miroku took a firm grip of his horse's reigns as the large gates swung open. He smiled when he fell into step with Sango. “Why, my dear Sango, how nice it is to walk with you.”
 
Sango glared at him before smiling wide. “I suppose I'll have to do in place of your true love.”
 
“Very funny.” Miroku sighed and shook his head. Hopefully the pig quips would come to an end soon. He blinked in surprise when he felt Sango take his hand. She looked towards the ground, a light blush tinging her cheeks. He squeezed her hand. “Why my dear Sango---”
 
As they passed through the gates, the city within was no more inviting than the walls outside. Similar to Mal Zeth, Miroku grasped that the city of Mal Rakuth based its lay out on the military. White washed, windowless buildings lined the straight roads and the people in them stopped, saluting as the group passed.
 
Zakath waved one man over. “Lieutenant, would you please tell me which inn is the best in Mal Rakuth?”
 
The lieutenant nodded. “Yes, your Majesty. You might want to try the Dragon's Fire tavern. It's a fine inn. Would you like an escort?”
 
Zakath nodded. “Certainly.”
 
Miroku glanced at Sango, giving her a small smile. He said, “Well, we made it, Sango.”
 
Sango blushed, squeezing his hand in return. She nodded. A small smile crossed her face. “It doesn't seem that inviting of a city, you think monk?”
 
“No, I'd have to agree with you.”
 
Silk winked at him, a sly smile crossing his lips. He said, “Seems your irresistible, my spiritual friend.” Glancing around the city, the spy shook his head. “I'll have to agree with Sango. It's not the most attractive city, though I'll take it over Rakand any day.”
 
Hanging over one building was a sign. A picture of a red and blue dragon breathing bright orange fire greeted them. Their escort stopped. “The Dragon's Fire, your Majesty.”
 
Zakath nodded. He gave the man some coins. “Thank-you. May I ask one more favor of you?”
 
“Certainly, your Majesty.”
 
“There is a young archer by the name of Kallath at the gates. Flog him for his insolence towards my party.”
 
“As you wish, your Majesty.”
 
Miroku noticed the satisfied expressions that crossed both Sesshomaru and Inuyasha's faces at this command. He shook his head. “Ah well, I guess it's better than letting them take the matter into their own hands.”
 
Entering the inn, Miroku noticed a stark difference between this one and the one in Rakand. The floor was swept clean with fresh straw strewn about. Soft light filled the room from oil lamps bolted into the walls. A portly man entered the main room, wiping his hands on an apron. “Are you travelers looking for rooms?”
 
Zakath stepped forward. “Yes, good innkeeper. We would like a few rooms. This inn was recommended to us.”
 
The innkeeper nodded. “Rooms are available so if you would like you can take them.”
 
“Thank-you. I'll certainly remember this inn and recommend it to my officers upon my return to Mal Zeth,” Zakath replied.
 
A man whispered into the inn keeper's ear. He blinked and asked, “Your Majesty?” The innkeepers eyes went wide. “My inn is honored. You can have anything you want.”
 
“All we want are some nice rooms. We've been on the road all day.” Zakath sighed. “Don't bother with all the formalities. They only get tedious.”
 
“Yes, your Majesty.” The inn keeper looked over the party. “I'll let someone escort you to your rooms. The baths are available and supper will be served in an hour.”
 
“Thank-you,” Zakath said.
 
A servant approached Miroku and Silk. He tapped the thief on the shoulder. “Prince Kheldar?”
 
Silk groaned. He muttered, “I can never escape that damn title.” Pinching his large nose, he sighed. “Yes?”
 
“Your Highness, there is someone waiting for you.”
 
“Oh? Who?”
 
“I was told to escort you to the room. If you'll come with me.”
 
Silk shrugged. He tapped Miroku on the shoulder. “Why don't we go find out who's waiting for me, monk?”
 
Sango nodded next to Miroku. “I'll set up our room with Shippo. You go ahead.”
 
“If you say so, my dear Sango.” He reluctantly let go of her hand and followed the thief up the stairs. The hallway was dimly lit. They stopped in front of a door and the servant said, “Here we are.”
 
Silk said, “Thank-you.” He winked at Miroku. “Well, are you ready to meet the mystery person?” He turned the door knob, pushing the door open. Inside the room sat a woman in a plain gray dress. She had long hair the color of honey that set off the creaminess of her skin. Her warm, golden brown eyes lit up upon their entrance. Silk gasped. “Velvet?”
 
Velvet smiled wide, dimples forming in her cheeks. “Why hello there, Silk. You weren't expecting me, were you?”
 
“I have to say I most certainly was not.” Silk shut the door. “How long have you been here?”
 
“Three days.”
 
Miroku stepped closer, smiling wide at Velvet. “And who is this beautiful young lady here?”
 
Silk smirked. He said, “Oh no you don't, my spiritual friend. That's my wife.”