Crossover Fan Fiction / InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ The Journey to the City of Endless Night ❯ Chapter Sixty-One ( Chapter 61 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]

Chapter Sixty-One
 
Unease flowed through the main hall of the inn as they waited for the old sorcerer's return. Inuyasha shifted in his chair, staring out the window into the street. No matter how much he shifted, the hanyou could not find a comfortable position. He didn't like chairs, nor did he see the reasoning behind them. The chair back poked into his shoulder blades a little more each time he moved. Inuyasha found it difficult to sit cross legged as one leg kept sliding off the meager cushion. He grumbled, “Stupid fucking chair. I hate these things.”
 
His gold eyes watched the crowds pass by, hoping to see Kagome. Inuyasha had returned a half an hour ago, only to find that his mate had not. Tapping his clawed fingers against the windowsill, the hanyou grew restless. What if it had been a mistake to leave Kagome in that busy crowd? Inuyasha couldn't imagine what could be keeping his mate. She had bought Rin a gift in the first store, after all. He assumed that when he arrived back at the inn that Kagome would be waiting for him. Inuyasha sighed. “Come on, Kagome, get here already. What the hell is taking so long?”
 
Pulling a small, rectangular box from inside his haori, the half-demon hoped he had made the right decision. The sorceress had told him that Kagome would love the gift. He thought it was a useless thing and that it had no value, but if it would please his mate, it would be worth it. Polgara had said that not all gifts had to have a practical use, especially romantic ones. Inuyasha shrugged. It didn't make sense to him, but he figured it had to be one of those mysterious things about women that he simply would never understand. Besides, it didn't matter if he understood, what mattered was Kagome's happiness. Inuyasha knew he had to say thank-you to his mate somehow. Now all he had left to do was figure out the proper time to give it to her.
 
Inuyasha tucked the box back into his clothes. He rested his feet on the windowsill, finding that to be the most comfortable position in the chair thus far. The hanyou rested his elbows on his knee, propping his head up with one hand. He snorted as the time dragged and still Kagome hadn't returned. If she didn't arrive soon, he was going to search for her. Inuyasha saw that the daylight was fading and he certainly didn't want Kagome out in the city after nightfall. Inuyasha muttered, “I'm giving you ten more minutes, Kagome, and then I'm going to look for you.”
 
One foot slipped from its place on the sill, kicking Kagome's bag, next to the chair. Inuyasha bent down, pushing it away from him before putting his feet back up. As he struggled to get comfortable, Inuyasha felt the chair tilt. He threw his arms up, steadying himself. Inuyasha exclaimed, “Shit. Stupid chair.” Once his feet were planted, the half-demon realized that he could rock his chair. As he balanced, and the more he did it, the more Inuyasha liked it. Absentmindedly, the half-demon tapped his fingers on his knee. “You've got only five more minutes, Kagome.”
 
“My, you certainly are an impatient one, aren't you?”
 
Inuyasha looked around, noticing that everyone else busied themselves with packing. His brows furrowed. No one was talking to him so who had said that? The half-demon glanced to his left, and then to his right, not finding anyone remotely near him. Shrugging, Inuyasha turned back towards the window, looking out. “Whatever.”
 
“Still not too bright, though.”
 
Inuyasha's ears perked as he tried to locate the speaker. He looked around again. Miroku and Silk were talking together as they readied their packs. Polgara and Poledra stood by another table, tallying the number of packs as they were handed to them. Everyone seemed too distracted with preparations to bother with insulting the half-demon. He bit his lip with a fang, trying to figure out who might have said that.
 
“Garion, dear, don't just stand there, please fold these blankets. We need them ready to go on the pack horses,” Polgara ordered the young blond man as she packed her cooking supplies.
 
“Yes, Aunt Pol.” Garion busied himself next to Polgara, folding up blankets for another pack. His plain face became grim, concentration in his blue eyes as he carefully folded each one. He looked so earnest as he completed his task.
 
The knight, horseman, and red-bearded man sat at another table with the dancing girl and her owner, discussing the route they would take to head back West. The juggler sat with them, entertaining Vella as he juggled colored balls. The dark-haired Emperor joined the two sorceresses, handing them his pack. None of them even seemed to take notice of Inuyasha by the window. Inuyasha observed that his brother and Rin had yet to come down to the main hall. No one else was there, so who could be saying these things? Inuyasha snorted, and glanced back out the window. “Feh.”
 
“You might want to be careful when tilting your chair like that. It could be dangerous.”
 
Inuyasha stopped rocking. He leaned forward, looking out the window. People passed by quickly, trying to reach their destinations before it grew dark. He muttered, “Alright, who said that? I'm getting tired of your smart ass remarks.”
 
“I believe that's what you told me last night.”
 
The hanyou blinked. It was the same dry voice from the night before. He whispered, “You again. What do you want?”
 
“I see you've set aside your guilt. That's good. I don't think you can afford it, not today.” The voice paused before it remarked with amusement, “I must say, though, you do have a most unusual way of getting rid of it. I suppose if it works, it works.”
 
Inuyasha growled softly and hissed, “You stay out of my relationship with Kagome.”
 
“You don't have to get defensive. It was only a comment,” The dry voice said. “You also don't have to say things aloud. I would prefer it if you didn't. People might start to wonder if you keep talking to yourself.”
 
“I don't?” Inuyasha whispered. “But then how do I reply?”
 
No. You don't. I am, in your mind, after all. Just think your replies, Inuyasha. I'll hear you.”
 
Inuyasha put his feet back up on the windowsill, turning to face the window. He glanced around, noticing that the others still weren't paying attention before he looked back out into the street. He thought, asking the strange voice in his mind, “How do I know you're not one of those weird Grolims? You never did tell me who you are.”
 
You're just going to have to trust me for now. I can't have you alerting Belgarath just yet that I'm speaking directly to you. I'd have you ask Garion about me, but there isn't time right now.”
 
Why can't you tell me who you are yourself?” The half-demon's brows furrowed. He tapped his fingers on his knee, scanning the crowd for Kagome. “Why do I have to ask someone else who you are?”
 
I'm not permitted to tell you my identity.”
 
What do you mean you're not permitted to tell me?” Inuyasha frowned. He started to rock in his chair again, staring out into the street. The people passing by walked faster, ushered along by military officers in red tunics on horseback. Their heads were down as they scurried to their destinations. Inuyasha hoped that Kagome would arrive back soon. He muttered aloud to himself, “You're running out of time, Kagome.”
 
It's against the rules.”
 
What rules?” Inuyasha wiggled his toes, pushing his chair to tilt more with his feet. His chair leaned back and the half-demon found it a comfortable position. “What does it have to do with me?”
 
A soft growl reached Inuyasha's ears, and he swiveled one ear underneath his hood in its direction. Turning his head, the half-demon blinked in surprise. His brother stood at the bottom of the stairs, clutching Rin tightly around the waist. Rin kept her eyes trained on the small pack grasped in her hands while Sesshomaru's narrowed. He bared his fangs to ward away any who drew too near. Kagome hadn't exaggerated at all when she had told him about his brother's outburst. Whatever the boy had done to Rin had really shaken his brother up.
 
Inuyasha couldn't ever remember seeing his brother this worked up before. He had witnessed Sesshomaru's temper, certainly, and usually directed at him, but this was different. Anxiety, confusion, and anger fluctuated in Sesshomaru's scent. His tall form was tense and his expression wary. It made Inuyasha forget all about the voice in his head for the time being as he wondered what had happened between Rin and the boy.
 
Everyone stopped what they were doing momentarily, clearing a path for Sesshomaru and Rin. The pair crossed the room, sitting in a corner away from everyone. The Demon Lord held Rin flush against his chest, the sleeve of his haori hiding the young girl mostly from view. Rin kept her head bowed, setting their pack on the floor. She wrapped her arms around Sesshomaru and she buried her face into his fur. His brother bared his fangs, growling low in his throat. The group looked away, resuming their packing duties.
 
Inuyasha's eyes connected with Sesshomaru's. The Demon Lord's eyes narrowed further and he glared at the half-demon. Rin pulled back a bit, reaching a hand up to rest on his brother's cheek. Sesshomaru turned his full attention back to Rin, and the harshness in his gold eyes softened a little. Something passed between the two and they turned their backs on the rest of the room. Inuyasha cocked his head to one side. His brother's behavior was so strange. There had to be something terribly wrong for Sesshomaru to act the way he was.
 
The half-demon couldn't explain it and he grew curious. Inuyasha prepared to join his brother when the strange voice in his mind said, “I wouldn't do that if I were you.”
 
Startled, Inuyasha jumped, nearly toppling backwards in his chair. He firmly planted his feet,digging his claws into the wood, and balanced himself in time. It prevented him from crashing to the floor. He exclaimed aloud, “Shit!” Once fully stabilized, Inuyasha snapped at the voice, “Don't do that! You nearly made me fall over in this fucking chair.”
 
I believe I told you not to rock in your chair like that.” A satisfied smugness filled it.
 
Shut up, asshole.” Inuyasha snorted, crossing his arms. He tapped one foot on the windowsill as a scowl crossed his face. “Wasn't I asking you a question? You never answered it.”
 
I believe you were, yes.”
 
Well, aren't you going to answer it?” Inuyasha flattened his ears to his head.
 
Depends which question you want me to answer.”
 
Alright, who are you?” Inuyasha rocked his chair absentmindedly.
I already told you, I am not allowed to answer that one. It's against the rules.”
 
What rules? You never answered that.”
 
My opposite and I agreed to these rules. I am not allowed to reveal my identity myself. You must ask someone else.”
 
Your what?” Inuyasha glared out the window. “What the fuck does that mean? Can't you just answer my question? Who are you? What do you want with me?”
 
It means exactly what I said. It's against the rules for me to answer your question.” It almost sounded like the strange visitor in Inuyasha's mind sighed. “We're going in circles, Inuyasha. Just trust me for now and ask Garion---later.”
 
The door opened, and the old sorcerer entered, a scowl on his face. Following him was the tiny red-headed queen, the blond woman, Durnik, and bringing up the rear, Sango and Kagome. Shippo perched on Kagome's shoulder, sucking on some treat. Belgarath grumbled, “Come on, finish packing and let's go.”
 
Garion's mate squealed, rushing to Polgara. “Aunt Pol, you won't believe what Kagome found!”
 
“I'm sure it's quite nice, but I'll find out about it later, okay, dear?” Polgara folded up a tunic, putting it into another pack before tying it shut. She brushed her hair away from her face, tucking the white lock in her midnight mane behind an ear. Her gray eyes softened to a blue and a smile crossed her stern face. “You can tell me all about it when we're traveling again.”
 
Sesshomaru snarled, shielding Rin's body from the rest of the room. He glared over his shoulder at them, red tinting his eyes. They narrowed when they locked on the little queen. His lean frame tensed again and he growled louder. The Demon Lord scooted further into the corner, distancing himself away from the group.
 
“Oh, you'll love it, Aunt Pol. Trust me. It's one of the most beautiful things I've ever seen, though I'm not sure who she's going to give it to.” Ce'Nedra clapped her hands. “I just wish I had seen it first.”
 
Inuyasha pinned his ears to his head. He lost his balance and he felt the chair topple backwards. There was no saving himself from the fall this time. It slipped out from underneath him and the half-demon smacked his head onto the floor. He groaned, clutching the back of his head. “Fuck. That really hurt!”
 
I told you not to tilt your chair like that. You just wouldn't listen to me.”
 
Inuyasha growled. He snapped aloud, “Shut the fuck up, bastard. Quit being such a smart ass.”
 
“Who's he talking to, Kagome?” Shippo asked, concern in his green eyes. He peeked around her head, glancing back and forth between Inuyasha and Sesshomaru. His tiny frame was tense and he shrunk back as Sesshomaru stood, holding Rin close to his side. “Did you see anyone say anything to him?”
 
“I'm not quite sure, Shippo.” Kagome rushed to Inuyasha, kneeling down on the floor. “Are you alright, Inuyasha?”
 
Miroku and Silk stopped their packing. The spy remarked to the monk, “You know, my spiritual friend, I think your friend hit his head harder than we thought. Did you hear anyone say anything to him about that fall?”
 
“Nope. Perhaps the chair said something offensive to him. Maybe he offended the chair somehow. It could be the other way around, I suppose.”
 
“I'd say that's one for the chair's side, then.” They both shook their heads, shrugged and passed Inuyasha as they went out the door, carrying their packs.
 
Inuyasha called out to their retreating backs, shaking a fist, “Very funny!” He grunted, and shook his head, blinking. “Yeah. I'm fine.”
 
Shippo peered down from Kagome's shoulder. “Are you sure?”
 
“Yeah. I said I'm fine.” The hanyou stood and kicked the chair. “Shit, that hurt.” His hand went to his sword hilt. Inuyasha would show this chair that he couldn't be made a fool of like that. “ Fucking chair!”
 
Shippo shook his head. He sighed. “If you say so.”
 
Kagome put her hand onto Inuyasha's, stopping him from drawing Tetsusaiga. She leaned her head onto his shoulder. “Come on, Inuyasha. Belgarath said we'll miss the ferry if we don't get going now.”
 
Inuyasha nodded, slipping his arm around her waist. He gave it a gentle squeeze before letting go. The half-demon bent down, hoisting Kagome's backpack onto his shoulder. “Oi, are we going to the ferry or what?”
 
“I was just going to mention that we do have a deadline,” Belgarath said. He glared at Ce'Nedra. “We must get on the ferry immediately, or we'll have to wait until morning to cross the river. Let's go.”
 
“Mind riding on Sango's shoulder for a bit, Shippo-chan?” Kagome asked the little boy.
 
Shippo's lips formed into a small pout. His shoulders slumped and he dejectedly said, “Alright.”
 
Kagome kissed his cheek. “Thank-you for understanding.”
 
The group exited into the street, and Inuyasha gripped Kagome's hand. It was twilight and the streets were nearly empty. As they headed in the direction of the ferry, Inuyasha noticed that the strange voice had left him alone again. He shrugged, looking down at his mate. Kagome smiled wide at him and she let go of his hand to slide her arm around his waist. Inuyasha did likewise, pulling her closer to himself as they went by military officers, and a few saluted them. Other military personnel assisted them by leading the horses.
 
They were escorted through the city gate and the same man who had fired arrows upon their arrival in Mal Rakuth saluted them as they passed. He called down to them, “May your journey be a safe one, your Majesty! Come and visit Mal Rakuth again soon!”
 
“Perhaps I will, Kallath,” Zakath replied. “When things are calmer, I'll visit. Keep the city safe for me in the meantime.”
 
“You have my word, your Majesty!” A wide smile crossed his face and he bowed slightly. “Mal Rakuth shall not fall.”
 
Inuyasha glared up at Kallath snorting. He muttered, “Oh sure, now he can kiss ass. Earlier we weren't good enough for his precious city.” He cleared his throat and blushed as he caught Kagome's glare. “Feh.”
 
When they finally reached the ferry, the sun had fully set. A leaky old barge bobbed unconvincingly in the yellow-brown river. Attached to it was a large, heavy cable pulled taught over the water. That was connected to a rope hitched up to some oxen. A muddy man led the animals. He stopped, looking over his shoulder.
 
“Well, I think this is where we part,” the old sorcerer said to the horseman, large red-haired man, and knight. “Good luck heading back West. Don't forget to tell the Alorn Council the instructions I've given you.”
 
“You have our word, Ancient One. Thy orders shall be carried out to the fullest and without fail.” The knight struck a gauntleted fist against his breastplate. “Of that, you can be certain.”
 
Inuyasha rolled his eyes. The knight always seemed so ridiculous in his over-dramatic speeches. He was grateful to see him go. “Oi. Are we crossing the river, or what?” Kagome roughly elbowed him and he fell silent.
 
Belgarath sighed. “I'm sure they will be, Mandorallen.” He rubbed his short white beard and turned towards Vella and her owner. “Yarblek, you have the letters I gave to you for Porenn?”
 
The dark bearded man nodded. His fur cap fell into his eyes and he adjusted it on his head. Inuyasha scowled at him from underneath his hood. He still didn't like this man, disgusted that he would own a woman. Yarblek patted a pocket on his tattered tunic. “I've got them right here, Belgarath. Don't worry.”
 
Vella snorted. “I'd worry. He might lose them when he gets drunk.”
 
Yarblek sighed. He shook the thief's hand. “Good luck. I don't envy you. Just don't get killed, alright, Silk?”
 
“It's always been a goal of mine.” Silk's long nose twitched. “Barak, Hettar, good luck. I think you'll need it with our Mimbrate friend.”
 
The red bearded man laughed uproariously. “Not as much as you'll need to cross that river in that miserable excuse for a boat.” He picked up the thief, giving him a bear hug. “See you later, Kheldar. You'll have to rob someone else from now on.”
 
Inuyasha let go of Kagome to cross his arms. He tapped one foot, flattening his ears. “Speaking of that, weren't we in a hurry so not to miss the ferry?”
 
Kagome hissed into an ear, “Don't be so impatient, Inuyasha. Let them say good bye. We'll go across the river soon enough.”
 
You should listen to your mate, you know. You certainly are terribly impatient.”
 
Inuyasha snorted. “Feh.” He silently told the uninvited visitor in his mind, “Shut up. No one asked for your opinion.”
 
You're just saying that because you know I'm right.”
 
Feh.”
 
“Hopefully, we'll see you when our appointment is over in Cthol Mishrak,” Belgarath said.
 
“Take care of the horses,” The strange, grim horseman's quiet voice said. It was his only comment as they parted ways.
 
“Good bye and good luck,” The giant red-haired man said. They mounted their horses and rode west, leaving the remaining group standing on the muddy riverbank.
 
Belgarath called out to the ferryman, “How much to cross, good ferryman?”
 
The muddy ferryman assessed them, squinting his eyes. Greed crossed his muck smeared face, and he smiled wide, revealing that his two front teeth were missing. Spitting onto the ground, the man replied, “Two gold pieces.”
 
Silk's beady, black eyes narrowed and his long pointed nose twitched violently. “That's highway robbery!”
 
Inuyasha rolled his eyes and sighed. “Feh. Who cares how much it costs? Let's just go already.”
 
“Perhaps you'd rather swim across,” the ferryman flatly replied.
 
The old sorcerer sighed. “We don't have time for this. We have to get going.” He turned towards Silk. “Just pay him so we can be on our way, Silk.”
 
“Finally, some common sense,” Inuyasha grumbled. “Can we just get across now?”
 
Is there a possibility that you're some distant relative of Belgarath's? You seem as irritable and peevish as he is on a good day.”
 
Inuyasha growled low in his throat. He snarled at the obnoxious voice, “Shut the fuck up. You're not funny, you know.”
 
Kagome whispered, “It's only a little bit more. We'll pay and be on our way.” She leaned closer. “Besides, you're upsetting your brother.”
 
Inuyasha looked over towards his brother. Sesshomaru grasped Rin around the waist, an annoyed scowl on his face. He growled, his fangs bared slightly, and his gold eyes warily watched the group. Irritation fluctuated in his scent, and the Demon Lord tensed. Rin eased her arms around Sesshomaru, giving him a hug. Her head rested on his shoulder, and she rubbed small circles with her hand on his side. Sesshomaru's expression softened and he looked down at Rin, brushing his hand through her hair. His brother sighed softly, his tall frame relaxing. His strange behavior perplexed the hanyou and he wondered what had happened to Rin to make Sesshomaru so agitated.
 
Silk's indignant voice drew Inuyasha's attention away from his brother as he shouted, “Absolutely not, Belgarath. I have my principles. He's cheating us and I refuse to let him get away with it.”
 
“Kheldar, just do it.”
 
A young solider approached the emperor. He said softly, “Your Majesty, may I speak?”
 
“What is it, lieutenant?”
 
“Allow me to handle the ferryman.”
 
Zakath nodded, waving his hand. “Do as you please.”
 
The lieutenant saluted. He called to the muddy man, “Ferryman, you will allow these people to cross the Raku river for free.”
 
“Now why would I do something so foolish?” The ferryman spat again.
 
“Either you let his Majesty cross for free or the Imperial army shall take possession of this pitiful excuse for a ferry boat,” the tall, red-clad solider replied. “Do I make myself clear?”
 
“You wouldn't dare!”
 
“Try me.” The lieutenant eyed the ferry. “In fact, if you continue to delay his Majesty, he may consider you treasonous.”
 
“I suggest you listen to him, good ferryman. I can declare this ferry my property,” Zakath said. “Do we have a deal? We cross for free, and you can keep your ferry?”
 
The ferryman grumbled to himself. He shouted, “It's a deal.”
 
Inuyasha snorted. “Finally. Maybe we can actually get somewhere now.”
 
Zakath turned to the solider, “Lieutenant, thank-you for your assistance. What is your name?”
 
“It was my pleasure, your Majesty. My name is Masca.”
 
“How about I promote you to colonel, Masca?”
 
Masca bowed low. “I'd be honored.”
 
“Good. Take the rest of the escort back to Mal Rakuth, colonel.” He slid a coin purse from his belt. “Do give this to our ferryman in payment for our crossing. I know he doesn't deserve it, but maybe it'll keep him from behaving the same way to another group of travelers.”
 
Masca saluted the emperor. “Yes, your Majesty.”
 
Once they were aboard the run down barge, the ferryman smacked the lead oxen's rump. The ferry lurched in the water, sluggishly cutting through the rushing current. It bobbed a few times, straining to reach the other side. Soon, it crashed haphazardly into the riverbank, the trip taking far less time than it had to haggle about it. Inuyasha gratefully stepped off of the rickety boat, watching as Durnik led the horses off. They could have been on their way far sooner if they had simply paid the ferryman's asking price.
 
“Now that we're across that river, I think there are some things you need to know,” Belgarath said. “We're going north to reach Ashaba. To get there, we have to cut directly through the province of Venna. This will be the most dangerous territory we've traveled through thus far.”
 
“If ye don't mind me interrupting, me ancient friend, can I say somethin' about the locals of Venna?” The juggler said, walking on his hands. Inuyasha wondered what an entertainer might know about this Venna that would be of some use. He didn't seem to know much beyond bawdy stories.
 
Surprising the hanyou, the old sorcerer nodded. Why did he defer to this strange man? Surely none of his information could hold any importance. Belgarath said, “Go ahead.”
 
“'T'will be a dangerous trip, as our ancient friend pointed out, what with Venna bein' overrun by Grolims, Chandim, and Temple Guardsmen, an' the like.” Feldegast flipped over. “We'll not be wantin' t' meet any of them so best t' avoid them, if ye kin follow. There only be two cities in all of Venna an' one of them is where Torak's last disciple resides. No one kniows fer certain if Urvon be in his dread city, or if he's hidin' from that Naraku fellow, but getting' by Mal Yaska t'will be perilous indeed.”
 
Belgarath glared at the entertainer. “We're going through territory completely under control of Torak's church. That means Grolims and potentially Hounds. I'm not sure how much more dangerous it will be with demons, but we'll have to chance it. We can't miss our appointment in Ashaba.”
 
“'Tis the Temple Guardsmen that kin cause the most unnecessary of troubles. They be knights of sorts and aren't nearly all that bright, if ye know what I mean. We can most likely avoid getting' into any skirmishes with them if we try to stay off the main road. The less we go near them, the less they'll find us. It's the Chandim and Grolims we best concern ourselves with. I suppose we best get goin' if we'll reach the House of Torak before it crumbles to dust.” Feldegast winked at the old sorcerer.
 
“Quit trying to be funny.” The old man mounted his horse. “Let's get going.We'll do some hard riding for much of the night. The faster we can cut across Venna, the better.”
 
Inuyasha silently asked his uninvited mental passenger, “You in there?”
 
No, Inuyasha, I'm busy daydreaming about you being less irritable. Of course I'm here. Where else would I be?”
 
You don't have to be such a fucker, you know. Can I ask you something?”
 
We're not doing this again, are we?”
 
No, it's a different question. I want to know, do you know what he means by Chandim? Who or what are they?”
 
Yes, I know what the Chandim are. They used to be Hounds a long time ago, but were converted back into humans, more or less. They can talk to Hounds and are loyal to Torak's remaining disciple. I'd be on the look out for them, if I were you.”
 
That's all I wanted to know.”
 
Inuyasha mounted his horse, following everyone else. He pulled in alongside Kagome, watching the road around them. He didn't like the idea of running into more of those Grolims or Hounds, and now he had to worry about these strange Chandim on top of it. Inuyasha glanced in his brother's direction, noticing that Rin rode with Sesshomaru. He sighed. It would seem it would be up to him to maintain watch on the road alone. Getting Kagome's attention, Inuyasha said, “Oi.”
 
Kagome glanced towards him, smiling slightly. “What is it, Inuyasha?”
 
“I don't like the sounds of this place, this Venna.” Inuyasha twitched his ears, raising them to full alert. “You stay close to Sango and Miroku, alright?”
 
“Okay.” Kagome nodded. “But where will you be?”
 
“I think I had better keep an eye on the road. Sesshomaru seems too out of it to watch the front.” Inuyasha sighed. “Just what the fuck did that boy do to Rin to make my brother so pissy, anyways?”
 
“I don't know. I think he might have just talked to Rin. I'm not really sure what made your brother so angry.” Kagome glanced over towards Sesshomaru. “I think it's a good idea if you watch the road, too. It sounds like we might run into a lot of trouble. Go, I'll be fine.”
 
Inuyasha snorted, and said, “Remember, stay close to Sango and Miroku.”
 
Inuyasha kicked his horse, taking the lead. He kept his eyes on the road, and his ears perked, listening for anything. The hanyou certainly did not want to be taken off guard. If anything or anyone should attack, Inuyasha would be ready. He couldn't let his mate get hurt and with his brother out of sorts, that task became monumental. Inuyasha shook his head. Just when had he started to need Sesshomaru's help to keep his pack safe? Inuyasha glanced over his shoulder, his eyes connecting with his brother's. Sesshomaru's expression had slipped back into the cold, unreadable one that Inuyasha was accustomed to. Hopefully he would help out with guarding soon.
 
They pushed their horses into a gallop, cresting a hill. Pale moonlight illuminated the road, casting small groves lining it into shadow. Several villages along the way were heavily barricaded with gaunt, haggard peasants standing guard throughout the night. Some held crude axes and swords while others brandished bows. A few villagers ineptly fired arrows at them as they passed, warding the traveling party away. Most drifted harmlessly, landing on the edge of the road. The scent of desperation filled the air, and Inuyasha wrinkled his nose.
 
Casting the moonlight into a haze was a chill mist. Inuyasha glanced up, noting the gathering heavy, dark clouds. He could smell the earthy scent of rain and inwardly groaned. The way the old sorcerer had described the terrain meant they most likely would not stop anytime soon, even for a downpour. Hopefully the cloud bank above would disperse without storming. The inu-hanyou did not want his mate or the little girl to catch cold.
 
Looking back, Inuyasha noticed that Rin now rode with Kagome. Both also wore heavy wool cloaks to shield them from the cold. He wasn't sure when they had changed riding arrangements, or how they had convinced Sesshomaru to allow it. They must have stopped and changed into the warmer garments and then caught up to the group. Sesshomaru rode next to them, facing forward and his back straight. It was a start. At least now Inuyasha could turn his full attention to the road if his brother personally protected Kagome and Rin.
 
They turned, heading north-east off the main road onto a deserted trail. Along it, empty shells that used to be farmsteads mournfully beckoned to them. Their thatched roofs had caved in, filling doorways with debris. Scorch marks marred the walls, some of the destruction appearing to be months old. Others were fresh, still reeking of burnt flesh. Sad, pitiful bodies lay in the ruins, and Inuyasha retched from his saddle, the stench and sight overpowering him. He grumbled, “Oi. We should have taken another road.”
 
It can't last forever.
 
Now what does that mean?”
 
This foolish destruction. The idiocy behind it. Eventually it'll have to end.”
 
The mist switched over to the downpour that Inuyasha had dreaded earlier. The half-demon pulled his hood further over his head in a futile attempt to block the rain. Even in his fire-rat, he could feel the cold cut into him. He asked the dry voice silently, “What do you mean it'll eventually end? Make sense, will you?”
 
It means, Inuyasha, the world can't take much more of this.”
 
More of what?”
 
The terrible weight of what you're seeing on this road. The strain it places on the land. What causes it. It can't continue on like this.”
 
Feh. What the fuck am I supposed to do about it? You expect me to right all the wrongs in the world?”
 
No, Inuyasha, I never said that. You asked a question, I answered it. There might come a time, however, where I might ask you to right at least one wrong,” the voice remarked cryptically. Before Inuyasha could retort, it said, “It'd be best for you to be fully alert on this next stretch of road.”
 
The rain battered the ground, turning the road slick. The horses churned up mud as they galloped and it spattered to coat their legs and bellies. As visibility decreased, and the horses struggled to find their footing, they slowed to a brisk trot. The wind changed direction and the drizzle stung Inuyasha directly in the face. His hands felt numb holding the reins and the hanyou found himself agreeing with Kagome's hope from that morning---maybe they should have stayed one more night at the inn. It was certainly turning into a dismal night for travel.
 
The thief pushed his horse to surge past Inuyasha's, taking the lead. He called back over his shoulder, “Belgarath wants me to scout ahead! That way you can protect the group better!”
 
“Whatever,” Inuyasha replied miserably.
 
They passed another ruined farmhouse. It appeared that when it had been whole that it had been but a hovel. On the ground outside the caved-in door, two wretched bodies lay in a heap. One shielded the other protectively. Both had met their demise in the same manner---their skulls were split open. The hanyou could tell that in life these two had been mates, and in their final moments, the male had at least attempted to save the female. Inuyasha glanced back, his eyes connecting with Kagome's. If he had been in the male's place, he knew he would have made the same effort---even at the cost of his own life.
 
The road sloped and they rode down the hill, leaving the decimated hut behind. As the rain continued to pelt Inuyasha, he hoped that the old man would allow them to rest soon. The relentless, frigid downpour seemed to have no end, and if he was this chilled to the bone, Inuyasha could only imagine how cold the girls were. Weariness flowed through the half-demon, culminating in a sharp tightness in his lower back. With each stride, the horse jarred him further, sending jolts of pain throughout his body. All Inuyasha wanted to do was rest and cuddle with his mate.
 
Another horse pulled in alongside his, and the hanyou blinked. Sesshomaru rode next to him, staring stoically into the gloom. Inuyasha peevishly asked, “Oi, what the fuck are you doing up here, jackass? Shouldn't you be back with the girls?”
 
“Half-breed, this Sesshomaru does not answer to you,” the Demon Lord coldly replied. “I suggest you change your tone.”
 
“Feh. Why must you always be an obnoxious ass?” Inuyasha snorted. “Just answer the damn question already.”
 
Sesshomaru glared at him from the corner of his eye. “If you must know, this Sesshomaru is curious about what the thief is doing.”
 
“Scouting, or so he told me.” Inuyasha shrugged. He grunted as his horse cantered over a bump in the road. The half-demon shifted, trying to find a comfortable position in his saddle. “So, any other reason you're up here?”
 
“What this Sesshomaru chooses to do is his concern alone, not yours, half-breed.”
 
“Oh, I see. You're just up here to be a jackass. I get it.” Inuyasha flattened his ears. “Be useful at least. Go back and protect the girls.”
 
“Do not think you can order this Sesshomaru around, half-breed.” Sesshomaru glared at him, baring his fangs.
 
“I'm tired of your superiority complex. I've got the front tonight. Guard the rear or the girls.” Inuyasha bared his own fangs.
 
“Your insolence may prove fatal, half-breed.” Sesshomaru snarled at him.
 
“Feh. You don't intimidate me, bastard,” Inuyasha scoffed. “I can kick your sorry ass any day of the week.”
 
Before the argument could escalate any further, the thief rode towards them, his hand held up, motioning everyone to stop. His long, pointed nose twitched and his dark eyes were grim. Silk curtly said, “There are some Grolims up ahead.”
 
The old sorcerer joined them at the front. “Exactly how many Grolims?”
 
“I'd say about thirty, give or take. They're pretty preoccupied with religious observances at the moment. We shouldn't have any trouble getting around them. They don't seem to have any demons, at least from what I saw,” Silk reported.
 
“Good. I'm going to take a look anyways, to be on the safe side. Then we'll continue on our way.” Belgarath dismounted and crept up the hill.
 
Garion followed the old man, Inuyasha and Sesshomaru not far behind. Oddly, the juggler joined them. He blew into his hands. “'Tis an awful, dreary night to be performin' some religious service in the open don't y' know. Grolims truly be the devout type.”
 
Neither Sesshomaru nor Inuyasha replied. Instead, they crouched into some bushes. Garion's face was grim and his blue eyes snapped with anger. The group peered into a small gully. Black robed men knelt in the wet grass, chanting in a guttural language. In the middle sat a large, black altar. On one side of it stood a brazier, hissing as rain hit it. On the other side was an enormous polished steel mask. Its ethereal beauty was marred by an insurmountable cruelty. The polished face held contempt and evil emanated from it. Inuyasha noticed that the men wore a replica of it. He asked, “Oi, just who is that mask supposed to be?”
 
Garion replied tersely, the rage in his voice tightly controlled, “That mask is Torak. They still give him offerings, even after I slew him.”
 
Belgarath quietly asked the juggler, “Are they Chandim?”
 
“'Tis hard to tell, me ancient friend. The Chandim itself may be fractured over this Naraku. We best not get into any unnecessary brawls with them, though,” Feldegast replied. “Chandim or not, t'would be best to vacate the area before they take any notice of us being here, don't y' know.”
 
Two of the cowled men dragged a young, naked woman towards the bleak altar. She struggled against their tight grip on her arms, screaming in terror. To Inuyasha's horror, he realized her tongue had been cut out. The wind whipped the girl's dark hair about her bruised face. More of the men grabbed her, shoving her onto the grisly altar on her back. Inuyasha growled low in his throat, fury building inside him. These men intended to rape this defenseless woman, and then complete their sacrifice as he had seen happen in the other grove. Inuyasha gripped Tetsusaiga, intending to stop it.
 
Belgarath gripped his hand, staying him. “No. We don't have time to fight these Grolims. Feldegast is right. We have to keep going before they notice us.”
 
“Let go, old man. I won't let them do this.” Inuyasha stared the old sorcerer down.
 
“We can't go through all of Venna righting every wrong we see. If we tried, it'd never come to an end.” Belgarath sighed. “I don't like what they're doing any more than you, but it can't be helped for now.”
 
The woman kicked, wailing miserably. The men restrained her, while another robed man picked up a long, curved knife. He turned towards the terrified woman, chanting in a hideous language. The man set the point of his blade against her bare chest before slicing it open. The woman shrieked in agony and then the man reached inside, yanking her beating heart out. With one strangled cry, she died.
 
The Grolim turned, facing the steel mask. He held the knife in one bloody fist, the woman's heart in the other. In a dreadful, booming voice, he cried, “Behold our sacrifice, Dragon God of Angarak. Accept our humble offering as we prepare for your return to destroy the Godslayer!”
 
“'Tis be you he means, young master,” Feldegast said to Garion.
 
“Thanks,” Garion replied dryly. “Do you mind?”
 
The other Grolims bowed low and a mournful gong sounded. They deposited the heart into the brazier and it sizzled. The ghastly smell made Inuyasha retch. Anger welled inside of him and he growled. They had just butchered this woman as if she were some hog. These Grolims were not human. They couldn't be after the awful butchery he had just witnessed. It was these Grolims who were also responsible for his attack on Kagome. He would seek retribution for all of these injustices. He shook off Belgarath's hand, drawing Tetsusaiga. “Let's see how they feel after I cut their hearts out with Tetsusaiga.”
 
No, Inuyasha! Belgarath is right,” the voice snapped in his head. “This is not the time or the place. You'll only create more havoc if you do that.”
 
They're the ones who made me hurt Kagome. Give me one good reason not to tear them apart.”
 
This is the cause for all that other suffering you've seen on this road tonight. This is the reason why you saw those desperate villagers, the burned farmsteads, the hovel with the couple. It is because of what you just witnessed that all of these people endure such agony,” the voice explained. “The world is gathering to rid itself of this very evil once and for all. What you're seeing here is only one small part of that obscenity. Destroying these Grolims in this valley will not end it. It'll take a lot more to do it.”
 
Inuyasha scoffed, “Like what? I'll kill these Grolims and they'll never cut anyone's heart out again.”
 
Trust me on this one, Inuyasha. It'll take a lot more than that,” the dry voice replied. “When the time comes, I can show you how to put an end to all of this. Now is not the time. You have other pressing matters to attend to at the moment.”
 
A harsh snarl pulled him back to the situation and he looked towards Sesshomaru. The Demon Lord's eyes flashed back and forth from gold to red. He gripped Tokijin's hilt in his hand, preparing to draw it. He stepped closer to the gully, moving to attack. Why had this human's brutal death mattered to his brother anyways? He didn't like humans very much as far as Inuyasha was aware. Save Rin and Kagome, Sesshomaru seemed to merely tolerate the other humans in their traveling party. Looking down at the slain woman, Inuyasha realized that she looked similar to Rin. She had the same petite frame and dark hair. Inuyasha's eyes went wide. He had to stop his brother from rampaging. Sheathing his sword, Inuyasha stepped into the Demon Lord's path, and said, “No, Sesshomaru, don't. That woman's already dead.”
 
Sesshomaru bared his fangs, narrowing his crimson eyes. He hissed, “Move out of my way or I shall remove you.”
 
“No. Don't waste your energy.” Inuyasha stood his ground, defiantly staring Sesshomaru down.
 
Sesshomaru's hand shot out, squeezing the hanyou around the throat. He leaned in snarling as he stuck a claw in. The Demon Lord growled, “Insolent half-breed.” He promptly let go, dropping Inuyasha to the ground before stalking off towards the waiting group.
 
The juggler whistled. “Fer a minute there, I thought he might kill ye, me dog-eared friend. That was mighty brave, the way ye stood up to him, with him being a Demon Lord an' all, don't y' know.”
 
Inuyasha glared at him, sucking in air. “Feh. As if I'd let him kill me. I'd kick his ass first.”
 
“Come on, let's go,” Belgarath said. “We only have a half an hour to put as much ground between us and them as possible.”
 
Peering around one of the bushes, Silk informed the old sorcerer, “There's a grove a little to the north-west we can cut through.”
 
“Good. Let's get moving.”
 
Galloping at breakneck speeds, they hurtled through the thicket, leaving the dreadful Grolim ceremony behind. Their low, terrible chants reached the hanyou's ears, and he flattened them, repressing a growl. Indignation filled Inuyasha at what he had witnessed, but now his focus turned to keeping watch on the terrain. The half-demon ducked branches to avoid being unhorsed. The rain cleared and a cool breeze rustled the trees, whispering of uncertainty.
 
Emerging from the trees, they descended a hill into another vale. They pushed their horses to a sprint, and Inuyasha resumed the lead, Sesshomaru not far behind. Pressing onward, they crossed the main road and immediately veered away, returning to their north-eastern direction. The clouds dissipated, revealing the moon overhead. It cast silver light onto their surroundings, making things appear colorless.
 
In the distance, they could see the ruddy orange of a village on fire. Approaching them on the road were cold and despondent peasants, most likely fleeing inhabitants of the blazing town. Black smoke filled the sky, the scent of burning wood and flesh permeating the glen. Inuyasha held a damp haori sleeve to his nose as they thundered past. He couldn't believe all the destruction he had seen throughout the night.
 
They rode on across the plain, leaving the hamlet's misery behind. The breeze faded and tendrils of fog settled over the road. It thickened slowly until all there could be seen in any direction was gray. They slowed their horses as the murk left them vulnerable to any attack. Inuyasha held the reins of his horse in one clawed hand, the hilt of Tetsusaiga in the other. He raised his ears, trying to pick up on any potentional attackers in the vicinity. The scent of damp earth and rain filed his nose, preventing him from sniffing out enemies. The fog swirled around him, solidifying into an immovable bank.
 
“Damn it. I can't see anything,” Inuyasha muttered to himself. Calling over his shoulder, he asked, “Oi, jackass, you smell anything? All I smell is the damn rain and wet mud.”
 
Sesshomaru snorted, his soft voice replying, “No. This Sesshomaru does not. The ground is too wet.”
 
“Fuck. There could be anything out there. Keep your ears open, I guess.”
 
Inuyasha, you're virtually surrounded on all sides.”
 
What the fuck are you talking about? By who?”
 
You're riding directly into a battle. The Grolims are raising and manipulating this fog to hide their attack formations from the Karands. Any moment now, they'll charge the grove to your right and flush it.”
 
Inuyasha raised his ears, swiveling them. All he could hear was the drumming of their horses' hooves, and he growled in frustration. “Are you sure?”
 
I'm positive.”
 
He strained his hearing further, winnowing out the sounds of their cantering horses. Eventually the sound of snapping twigs and the mutters and grumbles of men reached the hanyou's ears. Off in the distance, the brazen peal of a horn sounded into the dense fog. “Are you absolutely sure? It sounds like someone is camping by the road for the night and that horn sounded a couple miles west of here.”
 
I'm certain of it, because that was the signal from the Chandim to the Temple Guardsmen for the charge.”
 
Shortly after the horn's blast, the thundering of approaching horses filled Inuyasha's ears. He muttered, “Shit.” Jerking his reins, the half-demon slowed his horse to fall into step with Sesshomaru. He shouted, “We're surrounded! I'm going to go protect the girls. You've got the front.” Inuyasha drifted further back without waiting for his brother's response. He pulled in alongside Kagome, twitching his ears underneath his hood as he listened to the approaching charge. He tossed his hood back, revealing his erect ears. Letting Kagome know that he was there in the fog, he whispered, “Oi.”
 
Kagome asked, “What are you doing back here, Inuyasha? I thought you said you would keep an eye on the road.”
 
Waving a hand at her, he hissed, “Quiet, wench. Don't you hear that?”
 
Kagome nodded. “Sounds like a lot of horses. Maybe they're just some travelers, like us.”
 
“No. They're charging right at us in this unnatural fog.”
 
“Unnatural fog, Inuyasha-sama?” Rin asked, her brows furrowed. “Rin doesn't understand.”
 
“Yeah, Inuyasha, that doesn't make any sense,” Kagome said, drawing her cloak tighter about her shoulders.
 
Polgara gasped from her position on the other side of Kagome. “What do you mean that they're riding at us in unnatural fog? What do you mean by that?”
 
“Oi. It means exactly what I said. There are horses charging straight at us in this unnatural fog. They're using it as a cover to launch an attack,” Inuyasha explained.
 
The old man joined them, cursing in various languages under his breath. He shouted, “Pol! There are Grolims and Chandim and Temple Guardsmen to our west, and Karands to our east. He's right about this fog being unnatural. We've been blindly riding into a Grolim fog bank for the past twenty minutes.”
 
Polgara's expression became blank for a moment and she said, “It's natural fog, but they've manipulated it, trapping it here. It's probably why we missed their tampering.” The dark-haired sorceress sighed. “Well, now what, father?”
 
“I don't think we have a choice. We stand our ground and fight.” Belgarath glanced towards Inuyasha, his blue eyes full of perplexed wonder. “I'm assuming you and your brother can handle the Temple Guardsmen and Karands while we handle the Chandim.”
 
Inuyasha snorted. “Feh. Of course we can, old man.”
 
“Good.” He nodded his head towards his daughter. “Coming, Pol? We must break up that fog bank.”
 
“Can't you get Garion to help you, father? I need to keep Grolims from attacking Rin,” Polgara replied.
 
“Let your mother handle that. She's been instructing her after all.”
 
“Alright. If you insist, father.” Polgara's tone seemed sweet and submissive, although the hanyou detected venom in her response. The pair rode towards the back, leaving Inuyasha with Kagome and Rin.
 
Inuyasha said, his voice firm, “Kagome, you and Rin stay close to me, you got it?”
 
Kagome nodded. “Of course, Inuyasha.”
 
Rin kept her eyes downcast as she whispered, “Yes, Inuyasha-sama. Rin will stay close.”
 
From the opposite direction of the charging horses came the defiant howls of men. They flooded the road and immediately started to attack the group with their crude weapons. Kagome's horse reared, screaming, and the two girls gripped tightly onto the reins. A long pike stuck out from its left shoulder, blood spurting out around it. The wounded mount bucked wildly, and the two riders cried out as they were thrown. Inuyasha launched himself out of his saddle, shouting, “Kagome, Rin!”
 
The half-demon rushed to catch them, his eyes trained on the murky sky. In the corner of his eye, he saw that a silver she-wolf streaked by. She launched herself into the air, her massive jaws hooking in Rin's dress collar. She landed with the child, and in the heavy fog seemed to flicker blue. Inuyasha blinked and Poledra stood in the wolf's place, a hand on Rin's shoulder.
 
Nodding his thanks, Inuyasha turned, his eyes locking on Kagome. She sailed through the air, her eyes squeezed shut as she held her arms over her head. The hanyou shot up into the fog, catching his mate in one fluid motion. Clasping her to his chest, he landed. Inuyasha smoothed hair from Kagome's face, kissing her forehead. “You alright, Kagome?”
 
Kagome looked up, hugging him. “Yeah, I'm fine. Thank-you, Inuyasha.”
 
“What about you, pup. You alright?”
 
Rin nodded. “Yes, Inuyasha-sama. Rin's okay.”
 
A vicious snarl could be heard followed by the agonized screams of men. Inuyasha peered into the gloom and all he could perceive were flashes of green light. An ominous demonic aura filled the road and red eyes stared back in the murkiness. It was Sesshomaru and he hacked through two charging horses and several men on foot without effort. One man on horseback charged towards the enraged Demon Lord, his lance targeting Sesshomaru's chest. Flicking his wrist, Sesshomaru sliced the horse and man in half with his whip. He growled at Inuyasha, his crimson eyes narrowed. Rin rushed to him, hugging the Demon Lord tightly. She whispered, “Sesshomaru-sama.”
 
Kagome squeezed Inuyasha's hand. She whispered, “Why don't you see if Miroku and Sango need any help. I'm very worried about Shippo, too. We'll stay close to Sesshomaru, okay? We'll be alright.”
 
Inuyasha snorted. He bit his lip, watching as two horsemen charged towards each other. Peering into the fog, he could see that one wore armor and brandished a lance while the other wore red and wielded a rapier. Near them, Inuyasha saw the smith wave a club to ward off attackers as he guarded the little red-headed queen. He said, “Alright. Just be careful.”
 
“You, too.” Kagome kissed his cheek. She took her bow from her back, notching an arrow. “Go. Find Shippo.”
 
Inuyasha kissed her cheek back. He whispered into her ear, “Mate. Mine.” The hanyou let go and drew Tetsusaiga. “Be careful.”
 
Surveying the chaos about him, Inuyasha could hear the clang of swords and the thundering of horses. Occasionally, the screams or gurgles of dying men filled the murk of the night. Holding Tetsusaiga at a low point, Inuyasha pushed his way through the battle, trying to locate the young kit. A man charged the hanyou with a broad spear, screaming his defiance. Inuyasha easily deflected the weapon, knocking the man aside forcefully into a tree, rendering him unconscious. He saw no reason to kill the man and continued on his way, hoping to find Shippo, Miroku, or Sango.
 
Flickering in the corner of the half-demon's eye, he could see a strange interruption in the fog. It shimmered in a rainbow hue, followed by small flashes of intense heat. A tremendous roar filled the gloom, and Inuyasha flattened his ears, wincing. Glancing to his right, he saw a monstrosity charge towards him. Standing ten feet tall, the beast had several arms, fitted with massive clawed hands. It raised its terrible muzzle and bellowed, revealing long, pointed fangs.
 
Inuyasha leveled Tetsusaiga in front of him, muttering, “Great. Just what I need. That must be a demon.”
 
Emitting another roar, the demon rushed Inuyasha. Not knowing where Sango, Shippo, or Miroku were in the fog, the hanyou hesitated to use the Wind Scar. He planted his feet, preparing to stand his ground. Just as the demon attempted to claw Inuyasha, he swung Tetsusaiga, decapitating the beast. It toppled to the ground dead before vanishing in a puff of smoke. Snorting, he said, “Some demon. That was pathetic.”
 
“Pol, try walking a bit further away from me. We have to get more wind,” Belgarath shouted in the murk.
 
“Garion, go in the opposite direction that I am. Let's try again to bust this fog bank,” Polgara's determined, albeit weary voice called.
 
“Yes, Aunt Pol.”
 
“Shit.” Inuyasha murmured as he parried with another swordsman. He pushed the man back, knocking his sword from his hand. The hanyou swiftly punched him in the jaw, sending him reeling back. Inuyasha stepped over him, continuing his search for Shippo. “If they could just get rid of that fucking fog.”
 
I'm not sure how long they can keep that up.”
 
You again.” Inuyasha slammed his fist into the face of another man, unhorsing him. “What do you mean now?”
 
All that fog is being held here by a lot of Will. The Chandim are doing everything to keep it here. They outnumber Belgarath, Polgara, and the rest. Creating wind will be virtually impossible.”
 
Two demons howled, shrieking in an inhuman language. They attacked a mounted man, one devouring the horse, the other the man. There orange skin appeared to glow in the murk. Turning, their mouths dripped blood and pink foam coated their long fangs. Communicating to one another, they targeted Inuyasha next. Dodging them, Inuyasha sliced one in half with Tetsusaiga before stabbing the other in the back.
 
Alright, I'm following. Using their Will or whatever they call it will wear them out eventually. I get it. But if they can't do it, then what?”
 
That's where you come in.”
 
Me? Why me?” Inuyasha jumped, dodging a charging horse. “I can't do any of that sorcery shit.”
 
Why is it that always the first question? It just is. Don't worry, you won't be using sorcery.”
 
“Inuyasha!” Miroku called to the hanyou. He hoped off the fire-cat, Sango not far behind. “We can't find Shippo.”
 
“Fuck!” Inuyasha sniffed, trying to pick up on any scent of the kit. The mud blocked his senses, preventing him. “I was hoping he'd be with you.”
 
“Yes, he was, but he went to find Kagome when he heard her cry out. Is she alright?” Sango asked.
 
“Yeah. Her horse threw her, that's all.” Inuyasha raised Tetsusaiga, blocking another attack. “Sesshomaru's guarding her and Rin with that weird wolf-woman. I'm not worried about them. As worked up as my brother is tonight, no one will get close to them.”
 
“Alright. I'm going back to the air. Maybe I can find him in one of the groves,” Sango said.
 
“I'll stay here with Inuyasha,” Miroku said, using his staff to ward off a charging man. “Hopefully we'll find him soon.”
 
Sango and Kirara took the skies, leaving the half-demon and monk to defend themselves. They stood back to back, keeping any attackers at bay. Inuyasha said, “Oi, monk, the demons are weaker than last time. Seems they're either not really high ranking, or they're just weak without jewel shards.”
 
“If it wasn't so foggy, we'd be able to finish this fight a lot sooner.” The monk shoved his staff into the stomach of another man. “We'd find Shippo sooner, too.”
 
“Tell me about it. Fucking fog.”
 
You never let me finish. You're the most impatient person I've ever worked through. Not even Belgarath's in your caliber. I can help you with the fog.”
 
“Aunt Pol, it's just not working.”
 
“Just keep concentrating. We almost had a breeze!”
 
“He's right, Pol. Let's separate more.”
 
“What are they talking about doing?” Miroku asked.
 
“They're trying to make a breeze or something with that sorcery.” Inuyasha punched a fur clad attacker in the face, knocking him back. “Will you quit being an ass? Just tell me what to do. The sooner we break up the fog, the sooner we can get out of here.”
 
You'll have to use Tetsusaiga.”
 
“Let's spread out to find Shippo,” Miroku said.
 
“Fine,” Inuyasha replied, fending off another charging horse. “Use Tetsusaiga?”
 
We need wind, right? You'll be using the Wind Scar in particular to accomplish that.”
 
No fucking way. Not when I can't see. What if I hit someone like Kagome?” Inuyasha slashed his way through attackers, trying to find Shippo. “Are you insane?”
 
You can't make a mistake. Trust me.”
 
I'm glad you have such confidence in me,” Inuyasha replied sarcastically. He kicked another man in the stomach. Swinging Tetsusaiga, he shoved four men out of the way with the blade. “Alright, so what am I supposed to do?”
 
Remember what happened to your blade after Garion crossed swords with you? The Orb gave Tetsusaiga new abilities. It holds true for all the attacks it possesses, not just the Wind Scar. However, you'll be using your Orb enhanced Wind Scar, or the Sapphire Wind Scar, if you'd prefer. The name is all up to you. It is your sword, after all.”
 
Haven't I used this before?”
 
Yes, but not at its full potential.”
 
Inuyasha fought off another demon, trudging past the spy and emperor. They currently fought two red clad men. Zakath said, “I can't believe this! Half of the Karand forces here are my troops!”
 
The spy replied, “Seems you have a new problem other than just demons in Mallorea.”
 
“Don't be such an ass, Silk.”
 
Blue light illuminated the murk ahead and as Inuyasha approached, his eyes went wide in astonishment. A bright, blue fire encased Rin's right hand and determination filled her round face. The wolf-woman stood next to her, gesturing with small movements of her hands. With each motion, Poledra sent an attacker flying back. She said, “Now, Rin!”
 
Rin flicked her wrist, emitting a cerulean whip, not unlike Sesshomaru's whip of light. A demon lunged towards the quartet, howling and foaming at the mouth. Its six, clawed hands were poised to attack and eyes of green fire narrowed in triumph. Rin lashed at the monster with her whip, searing hits scaly face. The demon yowled in agony, shielding its eyes from her whip. Rin flicked her wrist again, smacking the beast's arms. Turning, it fled into the gloom, only to have Tokijin embedded into its back. The demon flickered and disappeared in a plume of smoke.
 
“Excellent, Rin! You used your whip well,” The wolf-woman complimented.
 
Another demon charged towards Kagome, who stood with an arrow notched in her bow. Resolve filled her face, her gold speckled eyes trained on her target. As the large beast lunged forward, she loosed her arrow, striking it in the chest. Pink light flared out, expanding to tint the fog a rose color. The demon screamed before disintegrating into dust. Kagome cheered, congratulating herself, “Got it!” She held her bow above her head, notching another arrow.
 
Sesshomaru's whip lashed out at various attackers, not discriminating between human or demon. His gold eyes were fierce and a ruthless expression rested on his pale face. A foolish foot solider rushed towards the Demon Lord, wielding a large spear. He raised it above his head, shouting a war cry. Sesshomaru allowed him to near, before swiftly slicing him in two. The man screamed and fell dead, twitching at the Demon Lord's feet. Sesshomaru retracted his whip, snorting. “Pathetic fool.”
 
A gruff voice called from the murk, “No matter how many holes we knock into the fog, it's just not enough. They plug it up immediately.” The voice let loose a string of several curses in a mixture of languages. “We're just going to have to try harder!”
 
“Maybe we're too spaced out now!”
 
You have to use Tetsusaiga. It'll go on for hours if you don't.”
 
Lunging onto his shoulder was Shippo. “Inuyasha! Is Kagome alright?”
 
“Oi, there you are whelp. I've been looking all over for you. Don't run off on Miroku and Sango like that. You scared them. Next time, stay with who ever you're with. You had your mother worried.” He knocked a man out of the saddle, the riderless horse harmlessly charging by.
 
“Sorry, but I heard her cry out and I wanted to make sure she was okay. Is she alright?”
 
“Yeah, she's fine. Sesshomaru's keeping her safe.” Inuyasha kicked a man charging them, knocking the wind out of him. He said, “You better stay close to me, runt. I don't want to waste time looking for you again.”
 
“Okay.”
 
You better use Tetsusaiga now. You're running out of time.”
 
Now who's being impatient?” Inuyasha sighed, slamming his fist into another man's temple. He replied to the voice, “Alright, but where are they? How do I just hit the ones I want and not those I don't?”
 
Walk forward until I tell you to stop.”
 
Okay.” Inuyasha shoved his way forward, clearing a path.
 
“Where are we going, Inuyasha?” Shippo asked.
 
“Never you mind, whelp.” He ducked a sword swing and kept walking forward.
 
Stop.”
 
Inuyasha stopped, peering into the gloom. “Alright, now what.”
 
“What's going on, Inu---father?” Shippo asked, leaning into the hanyou's face.
 
“Be quiet, Shippo. Get on the ground and stay low, close to me,” Inuyasha commanded. The kit obeyed.
 
Make the blade blue.”
 
Inuyasha focused, Tetsusaiga igniting in blue fire. The fur above the hilt took on an azure frost. He held it in front of himself, the dazzling color lighting the fog near him. Once the fire died, he noticed that the blade had become a deep, polished blue. “What next?”
 
Imagine the Wind Scar.”
 
Blue wind wrapped around Tetsusaiga, twisting and swirling as it formed the Wind Scar. Shippo gasped from his spot on the ground. He whispered, “What happened to Tetsusaiga?”
 
“Hush.” Inuyasha's brows furrowed and he bit his lip. “Now what?”
 
The track of the Wind Scar is too small as is. We need to call on the Orb's power that is infused into the blade to expand it just a little. Think of the Wind Scar being a bit bigger.”
 
Inuyasha concentrated, imagining the Wind Scar expanding. Tetsusaiga flared, the sapphire blaze blindly radiant. Every so often, ultramarine flares issued from the blade, forcing Inuyasha to look away. The Wind Scar swirled faster, and tugged forcefully on the blade causing Inuyasha to squeeze both hands tightly around the hilt. He gritted his teeth together, planting his feet into the grass. “Now what?”
 
Use it.”
 
Slamming the blade full force into the ground, Inuyasha watched as a massive blast erupted from Tetsusaiga. The Wind Scar flared out, expanding exponentially, and coursed towards some unseen target. It thundered as it crashed across the ground, wreaking havoc on the grove before him. Inuyasha shielded his eyes, squinting as it ignited the night sky a deep cerulean blue. Finally the Wind Scar connected with its target, the flash an incandescent, dazzling sapphire. Inuyasha breathed, “Oi.”
 
As it faded, the fog swirled and dissipated. The moon shone brightly and in the distance he could see a ruined, black altar, bodies littering the ground near it. Behind him, Inuyasha could hear the demons wail and shout in terror in their hideous language. A gentle breeze rustled the grass, tossing his hair about his face. The half-demon muttered, “Oh sure, now they can get a breeze going.”
 
“That was amazing,” Shippo whispered, his green eyes wide.
 
The dry voice in his mind exalted, “Done! And Done!”
 
“Now what does that mean? Don't you go taking all the credit. I'm the one who did all the work, you know. All you did was talk.”
 
That wasn't half bad, for a first try. A little overkill, but wonderfully executed. Perhaps there is hope for you after all.”
 
Don't be such a bastard. Was that the Sapphire Wind Scar? And who were those men?”
 
Yes. It was. It'll take time, but you'll get the hang of it. Those men were a small pocket of Chandim and Grolims. You did it, Inuyasha!”
 
Inuyasha turned, glancing at the battle behind him. Most of the attackers were dead, wounded, or in the process of fleeing. Shippo jumped back up onto his shoulder, drawing his attention. He asked, “What was that? What did you do?”
 
Inuyasha rested the blue blade on his shoulder, grinning. “That, Shippo, was the Sapphire Wind Scar.” He glanced at Tetsusaiga in wonder. Shaking his his head, Inuyasha said, “Come on, we better find Kagome so she knows you're safe.”