CSI - Series Fan Fiction ❯ Hidden Memories ❯ Believing ( Chapter 3 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
Hidden memories

Disclaimer: I do not own CSI

Spoiler: Slightly based on Episode 15 of Fruits Basket.

A/N: I wanted to try something a bit different this time. I just had to do a story based on poor Momiji-kun, anyways enjoy.

Chapter 3 – A childish wish

“Forgiving does not erase the bitter past. A healed memory is not a deleted memory. Instead, forgiving what we cannot forget creates a new way to remember. We change the memory of our past into a hope for our future.”

Lewis B. Smedes

I see a lot of things doing this job; homicides, serial killers, stalkers, you name it we solve it. We follow the evidence, putting the accused behind bars. Searching for the truth. Even though we follow the same routine over and over, it still never ceases to amaze me what people do to each other.

Sometimes, I wished I had a different job, something more along the lines of a doctor, or paramedic. A job where you got to be the knight in shining white armor, instead of near the gray hand of death.

I won’t complain about my job though. I help uncover the truth for those who can’t speak themselves. Anyone can be a victim.

Anyone.

And that is what frustrates me the most. The fact that people who have done nothing wrong, are sometimes the ones who hurt the most.

Even children.

Those cases are probably the hardest for any CSI to work, cases with an innocent child who was exposed to the darker, crueler side of the world.

There was this one case I worked 5 years ago, a simple robbery finished in record time. The geniuses that robbed the place wore no masks and forgot about the cameras. No one seriously hurt, just a few scratches on two witnesses. Nonetheless, they were still injuries. Thus, I was forced to collect evidence from them at the hospital.

Since it was a busy night, I was told to wait in the children’s wing, as it was nearly empty. I sat beside the only other occupant in the room. He was about 8, with angelic blond hair and bright blue eyes. He was swinging his legs back and forth, even though his legs and arms were slightly deformed.

I found out later that he was also born with a weak heart. And yet, even though he was born with a weak heart physically, he carried a very strong heart mentally. We ended talking every time I went to the hospital. As the months passed by, we were quickly becoming friends.

He would tell me about his father, who worked as the head doctor and owner of the building. He would tell me proudly about his baby sister who was going to preschool, showing me pictures from his little scrapbook; exclaiming how much she was like a copy of their mother, following her around like a baby chick. I learnt he loved sweets and I brought him some almost every time I would visit.

I would soon come to enjoy and anticipate visits to the hospital. I could talk to him for a few hours and forget about the dark, cold world outside the hospital walls. He would show me what he drew that morning, or about the little bird he saw fly through the window.

He was showing me his latest drawing, when a woman with long blond hair walked through the door. It was obvious from the pictures I was shown multiple times, that the woman standing in front of me was his mother, with his little sister standing behind her.

I was shocked to see her; she was as pretty as he described her. But, it was her words that shocked me the most.

“What are you doing here so late? You should get home, your mother might worry.”

“Yes of course, I’ll be sure to get home soon.”

“Alright, be sure to tell her I said hi. Come on sweetie, let’s go see papa.”

They left as he sat there smiling at them as they walked out the door. He slowly walked to the window and sat down.

“This is bad, she saw me. Now I’m going to have to apologize to papa later.”

I stared at him.

“Apologize?”

“ Well, you see, mama doesn’t know me. She forgot about me.”

I sat there stunned. How can she not know her own child?

“When I was born, she rejected me with all of her body and soul. It’s a disease passed down from my dad’s side, every few generations. The children cursed with this disease are either overly protected, or shunned. She started getting sick.

Papa said that over time she would get used to it, but she kept getting worse. Eventually, she would start to forget everything and everyone around her.”

“Mama is getting really sick. The doctors say if she forgets about you, she might get better. Let her have the operation, let her forget you and papa will love you for all of mama’s share too. You love mama don’t you? Please, let her get better.”

“I was there before they did the operation.”

“Are you sure you want to do this? Are you not going to regret it?”

“My only regret, is having that monster come out of my body.”

“And then, I was erased from mama’s memory. She became healthier; after a month or so, she started smiling again. Did I, did I do the right thing? Did I really help her?”

Tears were streaming down my face as I hugged him. You watched them from afar, and yet, you are able to keep on smiling. You would keep your distance even now to prevent her from getting hurt.

“I would rather live on with a bad memory then never have experienced it at all. Even if it were a sad memory, that would hurt me. Even if I would regret it later on, if I still hold on to it, without letting go. Maybe someday, I would be able to overcome these sad memories. Because, I want to believe that even though it’s a sad memory, there is no memory that you can just forget.”

“The truth is, I never did want her to forget me, but that’s just my childish wish…it’s a secret, okay?”

Now every time I work a hard case, I think of him. No matter how much he’s been through, he’s still able to watch them every day from afar; finding the little things in life to make others smile. Being able to stay so optimistic after suffering so much, is a strength I never had.

And now, I believe it too.

A/N: Man what a bad ending to this chapter... anyways please leave a review and tell me what you think. If you're interested, message me and I can send you the link to the part in the episode in which I based the story on. I highly suggest you watch Fruits Basket on youtube, it’s a great anime. I always feel like crying every time I see it. I'll continue when I get a good idea, but that might not be for a while if ever...



------------------------------------------------------------------------ --------