D. Gray-man Fan Fiction ❯ Grandpa Bookman ❯ Chapter 1

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
"I know I’m never allowed to truly be with you, but if you ever disappear, even if you’re the Bookman, I will follow. And if I can’t follow you, I shall wait. I shall wait and keep a warm household, patient for your return." -Samantha, the Akuma Girl.

“Well that’s the news, Mr. Bookman.” The doctor said sternly. It was a nice day, but bookman was sitting in a doctor’s office, finally recovered from a recent illness. Or so he thought.
“A year and a half, huh?” bookman said calmly. A year and a half to live. Damn. Bookman stood and left the small office, down the stairs to the first floor where his student, Junior, was sitting, reading the paper. Or not, because he saw him smile.
“Another letter from Sam?” bookman asked. It had been a few years since they had left the Black Order, but his student couldn’t help but keep in touch with the witch/akuma/Noah girl he had met there. He remembered her well. A witch as a human, she was made into an akuma with the same body and soul, only to awaken as a Noah years later. Her life in hell and turmoil, he recalled how she had made friends and pushed through, ending up a great asset to the Black Order.
The only problem was she and his student had fallen in love.
“w-what are you talking about?!” Junior said, hiding it in his jacket. 25 and he still liked to play the role of a kid. “I was reading the paper, like you told me to!”
Bookman sat down next to him with a sigh, wondering how he was going to break it to the redhead. He glanced at him and took in the features of his student he had never noticed. He had changed his style of earrings, and his hair was a lot longer than it used to be. He still had the stupid scarf, but he had gotten a lot taller. Junior was a big boy, so bookman took a deep breath and pulled out a cigarette.
“I have a year and a half to live.” He said, lighting it. Junior gave a quick stricken look, but then sighed into composure.
“Is that so?”
“Yup.”
“Now what?” Junior asked.
Bookman thought for a moment. His student was soon going to surpass him by default, and he was almost ready. Almost, with the exception of Sam.
“It’s time for you to finish your training. But to do that you have to get yourself out of love.” Bookman said seriously.
“But I’m not in love!” he protested.
“Just shut the hell up and listen.” Bookman snapped, “ I’m giving you one month. One month to spend with her, one month to end it. After that you’ll break off all ties with her and finish your training, and you can succeed me.”
Junior just stared at the floor. One month? Just one month? Then he could never see her again, never hear her voice. The worst part ,he thought, is she will understand.



Sam stood in the shop next to her house, fixing up the flowers she sold there. The owner of the store rented the two-story house to her, in exchange for working in the shop. She sighed and brushed her above shoulder-length hair out of her face as she messed with her flowers. She put a red rose, a white carnation and a purple tiger lily together in the middle. Lavi, she thought, touching the rose, Allen she thought brushing her fingernail against the carnation, and of course, Kanda! She giggled, tapping the tiger lily.
It had been two weeks since she sent Lavi’s letter to the order, so they could send it via-golem. It would probably be another two weeks before she would get a reply, but she was happy to wait. She would always wait, just as she promised him when he left the Order.
“Are you thinkin’ about that never-show man of yours?” Cecilia said, coming in from the back. She was a large dark woman, her outfit never complete without a large apron and a mixing spoon in hand. “Enough day-dreamin’ for now and get these cookies next to the cakes!” Sam smiled and quickly did as she was told. She loved CC’s baker and flower shop. No matter where you were at, it smelt good.
Sam bent down and slid open the glass door, setting the cookies down in a stylish way, when she heard the bell ring, telling her someone had come in. still working on her cookie arrangement, she just said, “welcome to CC’s, I’ll be with you in a minute!” She finished and stood up, only to be grabbed from behind.
“Mmmm, you smell like cookies!” a voice said in her ear. Sam flipped herself around and hugged the man.
“LAVI!” she nearly screamed.
He laughed and smiled at her. “Who’d you think it was, Yuu-chan?!” Sam bopped him lightly on the head.
“What are you doing here? I thought bookman-“
“Panda thought it would be nice to take a break, so I’m here for a month!” he lied. He didn’t want her to worry, to be sad. He wanted her to be… her. That and he had a plan.
“Hey, bookworm, stop fraternizing with my work!” Cecilia said, standing in the doorway to the back kitchen. Lavi just laughed, rubbing his head. It was going to be a long month…



“I swear this was the shortest month of my life…” Lavi mumbled to himself, staring into the bathroom mirror. He closed his eye and thought about the picnics, the trips to the beach, the trip caused by the damn cat, which ended up as a trip to the hospital… for Cecilia. I’m going to have that wooden spoon in my nightmares… he thought. She nearly killed him when she got out of the hospital.
Lavi was snapped out of his daydreams when he heard a knock on the bathroom door.
“I folded all of your clothes and packed them for you…” Sam’s voice said softly. She found out last night, after the throws of lovemaking, and has been quiet since. Lavi sighed and opened the door, and stood in front of his love. Her greed-gold eyes were watching his feet, unable to look at his face. She looked two years his junior, but her years as an un-ageing akuma actually put her four years ahead. He put his arm around her shoulders and walked her to the front door. Bookman was waiting outside, and Lavi stopped before she opened the door.
“Don’t be sad.” He said softly.
“I’m not.” She replied with a half-hearted smile. Lavi just sighed and opened the door, giving Sam a kiss on the forehead before walking down the steps to join his master.
“Goodbye…!” Sam said as they walked away. She watched as her lover raised his hand in return. She stood on the steps long after they had walked out of sight…


If I hear one more thing about his damn dog, I’m going to lose it… bookman thought to himself. Months later, the duo had unfortunately run into Allen Walker, and he was chatting away with his student about some dog he recently adopted. And Junior was taking it in like a desert does water.
“So when are the puppies due?” Lavi asked excitedly.
“In about three weeks” Allen said, finishing his 8th bowl of food. Bookman was glad Allen was paying, and not he. “But the doctor said it could be anytime now.”
Bookman just ignored them and went back to his paper.
Two weeks later, they headed off again, getting onto a late-night train.
“You did get the right tickets, didn’t you?” Bookman asked, when he saw which way the train was heading.
“Some of the tracks got damaged in a big storm, so we have to go around the other way.” Lavi explained, “Unless you want to wait another month.”
Bookman just shrugged and settled into his seat, falling into sleep.

“Panda, wake up, it’s our stop!”
Bookman swatted at his student, only to have him dodge it. “What are you talking about, we shouldn’t be there already.” It was still dark out, meaning they had only traveled six hours at the most.
“You’ll see!” Junior laughed, heading out of the compartment door. Bookman slowly followed, pissed at the redhead. They stepped out onto the platform, only to have Allen appear and run towards them.
“L-Lavi! “ he doubled over, trying to catch his breath. “It’s Sam! She’s at the hospital, you need to hurry!” Allen grabbed his hand and ran towing him along. Bookman looked around and realized they were in the town that Sam lived in.
Damn it, I only have a little less a year to whip him into shape, I shouldn’t have to be dealing with this crap! the thought sourly. When he reached the hospital, Allen was in the sitting in the waiting room, fidgeting. Bookman just sat in a chair on the opposite side of the room, thinking of ways to punish his student. He had just gotten to throwing him into a volcano when a nurse came in.
“Mr. Bookman?” she asked. Bookman stood up, and she motioned him to follow. She led him down the halls until they reached a door, and he could hear his student’s voice on the other side. He opened the door but was not prepared for he saw.

“Who’s a pretty little girl?” Lavi laughed into the belly of the baby he was holding. Sam, looking like hell, was resting in the bed, smiling at the two. The baby laughed and grabbed at Lavi’s eye patch.
“Oh, no no no, don’t play with daddy’s eye patch!”
All thoughts on how to kill him just dropped, as did all rational thought. A baby. Now it all made sense, how his student could have been so easy to adapt. Even Allen was on it! He thought there was no damn dog!
Lavi looked over to his mentor and smiled. “Does Grandpa want to hold her?”
“G-grandpa?!” he started but he already had the baby in his hands. He looked down to see she had Sam’s face, but her eye and hair color were his students.
“When we found out you were going to… you know, we decided…” Sam started.
Lavi put his hand on the baby’s head. “This is the path I chose, along with being a bookman.”
He paused, trying to discern Bookman’s face. “We haven’t named her yet…”
Bookman sighed. As the baby laughed and clung to his jacket “name her Risa. It means laughter”
Lavi took the baby and gave it back to Sam. “Risa Miranda, then” he smiled “Risa, Miranda, Bookman.”



Well that’s it! I may do more, and it may involve KandaXfriends OC, allen and lenalee, you know, maybe a holiday get together… maybe. Dunno. Aaaaaaaaannnnnnnnnyyyyyyyy ways, leave a comment!
-Later!-
Sam