D. Gray-man Fan Fiction ❯ Grandpa Bookman ❯ Christmas Wish ( Chapter 3 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
December 5,
“Dear Sam,
I’m sorry, but I won’t be able to make it this Christmas, but I will send you and Risa gifts! Give her a kiss for me!
With love,
Bookman”

January 17,
“Dear Bookman,
Risa started walking today! She can say “momma, daddy, Uncle Allen, Aunt Lenalee” (although she says len-leh!) “And books!” she’s so smart, just like you. Hope to see you soon! XOXO

Missing you,
Sam and Risa.”

March 25,
“Dear Sam,
I’m sorry I missed our anniversary. I should have been there, I should have. It’s just hard with the war down here, I’m just glad I was even able to send this letter. I love you more than air, the both of you.

Kisses!
Bookman”

June 30,
“Dear Bookman,
You’ll never guess who came over for Risa’s 4th birthday! Kanda and Jin! Do you remember her? Cross’s niece. She had the light blue hair and the man-eating flowers loved her. Apparently, they’ve got a bun in the oven so to speak! Kanda hasn’t changed much though, still moody, still fun to pick on. Risa inherited your knack for messing with his hair… hoping you come home soon!

Thinking of you,
Sam and Risa”

November 4,
“Dear Sam,
Looks like I won’t be home for Thanksgiving, it’s been so long. I think I haven’t been home since I left the month after we were married… I love you, I love Risa, and I just want you to know I wish I were home so much.

Homesick for you two,
Bookman”

December 13
“Dear Sam,
I’m not gonna make it for Christmas again. I love you, please don’t forget that! I’ll try to get home soon I pro-“

Sam set the letter down. She was going through a drawer filled with old papers, finding the back and forth letters she had saved from their years apart. All of hers were updates of life at home, his, reasons why he couldn’t come home just yet. Five years… five years he was gone being the Bookman. He had come home, maybe twice for an hour or two, because he was shifting trains. Risa was always asleep, Sam started to wonder if her daughter thought her father was real…
She put her hand to her face to find she was crying. Now we can’t have that, she thought, wiping it away.
“Mommy?”
Sam turned around to see Risa standing there, her rabbit doll clutched to her chest. “Is daddy gonna come home for Christmas?”
Sam sighed and pulled her daughter into her lap. “Daddy won’t make it this year baby-doll. He says he loves you and misses you very much.”
Risa just looked at the paper. “Mommy?”
“What is it sweetie?”
“If daddy comes home, will you stop crying?”
Sam stopped. She hardly ever cried, or at least she thought. She missed her husband, she wanted him home, but at the same time, she knew this was the way it had to be, if they were to be together at all…
“yes.” She whispered, hugging Risa tightly, “I’ll stop crying when daddy comes home.”

Risa was a smart kid. Before she was even in school, she knew the alphabet, could spell short words, and knew the numbers up to five hundred. She knew how much her mommy cried, especially in her sleep. Sometimes she would cry out daddy’s name, and sometimes names she didn’t know. She knew what her daddy looked like, mommy showed her pictures from their wedding. And she knew that when mommy wrote to daddy, she never asked him to come home.
But she was going to do just that.

Risa was sitting in her desk at kindergarten after the bell had rung. “It’s time to go home now, Mrs. Bookman.” Her teacher said, and smiled at her, picking up the papers from the floor.
“Miss. Brusher? Can you help me with something?” Risa asked sweetly.
“And what would that be?”
“I need to write a letter.”

Lavi was sitting on another train, coming from another town, to another area. He was tired, and almost fell asleep when he heard a tap on the window. He looked up to see a black golem flying like crazy to keep up with the damn train. Lavi stood up and pulled the window down, sending his hair flying around him, snatching the golem and shutting the window.
“Phew!” he said, running his fingers through his hair to tame it once more. The golem flew in front of him, opening its mouth to let him take out the letter. After he did, the golem flew and landed in his scarf that lay in a small bundle on the bench, not willing to go out into the wind. Lavi laughed and petted it, then turned to his letter. He opened it and pulled out Sam’s letter, only to have another one fall out onto his lap. It was taped shut with “daddy” sprawled out on the top.
“Now what is this?”

Cecilia was making pies, Risa running around her like a hungry cat. “Risa-dear, who’s all comin to Christmas dinner?” She asked, making her tenth piecrust.
Risa counted on her fingers, “Uncle Allen, aunt Lenalee, uncle Kanda and Aunt Jin, Miranda and Krory…” Risa pulled Cecilia down and whispered “…Daddy!”
“Are you sure he’s comin sweetie? Your momma said he won’t be able to make it this year…,”Cecilia said. She didn’t want to have Risa’s hopes up, only to have them shattered when he didn’t come. But Risa’s face just lit up with an ear-to-ear smile.
“He’s gonna come this year!” she shouted, bounding out the kitchen door and into the shop, only to run back in. “someone is here!”
Allen and Lenalee knocked on the door, Allen carrying an insane amount of presents, while Lenalee was carrying green bean casserole. Sam hurried to the door, wiping turkey off her hands onto her apron, and opening the door for them. “Merry Christmas!”
Risa waited for Allen to put down the presents under the tree before she glomped him.
“Whoa!” he said, giving her a spin hug. She’s just like her father! Allen thought, putting her on his hip with a smile. “Someone is happy!” Risa just laughed and scrambled out of his grasp, to hug Lenalee. Allen remembered watching her grow up, and thinking back on it, Lavi never would have that chance. Of the few times he had come across his friend, he was always eager to know how she was, how both of them were. Allen sighed and gave Sam a hug and a kiss on the cheek, “it's good to see you again!”
Sam hugged him back, “same here.” Soon everyone had come, and even Komui had decided to appear. The afternoon was filled with laughter, the smell of food, Miranda and Krory tripping, and the opening of presents. They were all surprised to find Sam and Risa had unmarked presents for them, but Sam knew it was from her brother Tyki. It’s too bad he’s still on the wrong side… she thought, handing the black kitty doll to her daughter. After the presents the adults fawned over Kanda and Jin’s son, Tai, all the while Kanda tried his best not to curse as the baby pulled on his hair.
Sam looked around. “Has anyone seen my daughter?”
“I’m right here mommy!” Risa said from the doorway to the living room. “I have a present for you!” Sam sat there, puzzled. Risa smiled big and turned to pull someone into view.
Lavi.
“I’m home.” He said with a soft smile. Sam slowly stood up, only to have everyone stand up and crowd around him. Unable to hear them all at once, he picked up Risa and motioned his hand for everyone to be quiet. He moved through them to his wife, who was on the verge of tears.
“Welcome home!” she cried out, throwing her arms around him, kissing him.



“Dear Daddy,
It’s me, Risa! I need you to come home for Christmas, so mommy will stop crying. If you don’t I’ll ask Uncle Allen and Uncle Kanda to get you! We miss you lots and lots, so hurry!

I mean it,
Risa.”