D. N. Angel Fan Fiction ❯ To Me, It's More ❯ To Me, It's More ( Chapter 1 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

To Me, It's More

 

 

"I'm sorry, Niwa-kun...but I'm in love with Phantom Dark!"

 

Phantom Dark...

 

Phantom...Dark...

 

Dark...

 

I'm in love with Phantom Dark!

 

Daisuke Niwa sat up straight in bed. His scarlet eyes were brimmed with tears and his shaking hands gripped the yellow fabric of his comforter as tightly as they could. Giving a great sigh, he laid back down on his pillow. Rolling onto his side, he curled his legs up and wrapped his arms around them. Closing his eyes, he barely noticed as a few stray tears made their way down the side of his face.

 

"It isn't fair," he whispered. Unclosing his eyes, he looked out the window in front of him. "It just...isn't fair. Why does Risa-chan have to be in love with him?! I've been her friend since we were little kids...I've always been there for her...but...but she loves Dark more than she could ever love me." He sniffed. "Dark doesn't even care about her!"

 

There was a slight pressure on his lower stomach. Giving a weak smile, he reached down and stroked the soft, white hair of his rabbit-like pet. "With," he whispered, looking down at the small animal.

 

With blinked slowly, focusing his large, red eyes on his owner. Cocking his head to the side, he let out the only word he knew how to say. "Kyuu?"

 

Daisuke sat back up, resting his head against the backboard of his bed. Taking With in his arms, he plopped the little animal on his lap. "I don't understand. I've been in love with Risa-chan for the longest time, but she only thinks of me as a friend." He sighed. "I know it's probably wrong for me to think such things, but I just wish there was a way for her to see me in the same light as I see her. I just want her to be with me..."

 

"Kyuu?" With put his front paw's on the teen's arms.

 

`Aaaw...Dai-chan, are you jealous?'

 

Daisuke growled, hearing the smooth voice of his other self filter into his mind. Dark was not the person he wanted to have his thoughts interrupted by. Especially not right now...when he was so mad at him. "Dark, I don't want to talk to you," he said, looked back out the window.

 

He could feel Dark prodding him and when he looked to the end of his bed he saw the purple-haired thief sitting there with a smug smile on his face. Daisuke leaned forward and attempted to swat at Dark, but his hand passed right through the spirit-form.

 

`And I ask again, are you jealous, Dai-chan?'

 

"Leave me alone."

 

Dark smirked and edged closer. `Dai-chan...Holding grudges isn't very becoming of you. Why don't you just accept the truth? I accepted the truth that Riku-chan thinks I'm a pervert.'

 

The red-haired teen rolled his eyes. "You didn't exactly have to accept that, you know very well that you're a pervert." Dark let out a hearty laugh at that. Lowering his gaze to the sheets of his bed, Daisuke sighed. "My dilemma is a little more complicated than the one you claim to have."

 

`Dai-chan...You're taking this whole thing way too seriously. Just because Risa-chan thinks she doesn't love you, doesn't mean that it's true.' Daisuke raised his head, slightly interested in what Dark had to say. Dark noticed this and chuckled, resting a ghostly hand over the boy's. `Through your eyes, I've seen the way Risa-chan looks at you. And I can see that to her, you're more than just a friend...more than just a `best friend,' to use her words.' He smiled. `I'm sure all she needs is a little push in the right direction so she can see her true feelings for you.'

 

Shrugging his shoulders, the young teen looked away. "I don't know, Dark."

 

`Oh come on...when have I ever been wrong about anything?'

 

Daisuke groaned. Dark had him there. The purple-haired thief did have a way of always being right about things. It was quite annoying, in all honesty.

 

`Just trust me for once. I have a sixth sense when it comes to matters of the heart.' The Phantom Thief smirked.

 

The fourteen-year-old scoffed. "Really?" he asked sarcastically. "Is that why you can't get Riku-chan to love you then?"

 

Dark crossed his arms over his chest in a dignified manner. Raising his nose into the air, he let out a little `tsk' noise. `Sarcasm isn't very flattering, Daisuke. Though it may work with me, it doesn't have the same effect when someone like you uses it. Maybe this is why Risa-chan hasn't realized her feelings for you yet.'

 

Before Daisuke could reply, Dark faded back into his mind. The teen rolled his eyes. "You're such a whiner, Dark. You just know that I'm right, you spoiled little..."

 

"Dai-chan, it's time for breakfast!"

 

The redhead jumped, grabbing his clock off the nightstand. "Oh my God! It's so late!" Scrambling out of bed, he rummaged around for his school uniform and hurriedly got dressed. "I was so involved with my `talk' with Dark that I didn't even notice the alarm clock go off!"

 

After brushing his teeth and fixing his hair, he ran down the stairs. "Sorry mom... gotta run!" he yelled, grabbing a piece of toast from a plate on the table.

 

Emiko tapped her foot on the tile floor. "Not without giving me a kiss!" she said, grabbing her son's collar.

 

Daisuke groaned. "Mom, I'm late." He sighed and pecked his mother on the cheek. Then he raced out the door.

 

Emiko giggled. "Remember; be home before five-o-clock!"

 

AAAAAAAAAA

 

"Please don't let the bell have rung! Please don't let the bell have rung!"

 

Daisuke repeated the sentence aloud as he ran down the practically empty hallway of his school. His eyes widened as he noticed someone step out around the corner. "Watch out!" he yelled, but it was too late and he went crashing into her.

 

The girl let out a little scream and they both toppled to the floor. Red eyes blinked slowly and their owner shook his head to come back to his senses. He let out a gasp, realizing just what position he and Risa Harada were in. He had his arms on each side of her head, one leg between hers, and the other outside of her left leg. His chest was gently brushing against hers and their faces were mere inches apart.

 

Daisuke could feel the blood rush to his cheeks, and he could also feel himself about to transform into Dark. In his mind, the Phantom Thief was practically rolling on the floor laughing. "No! I can't let her see me as Dark!" he hissed quietly.

 

Risa cocked her head to the side, her cheeks tinged pink. "Umm...Niwa-kun?" She raised a hand to push the red-haired teen off of her, but she stopped suddenly. Had she just caught a glimpse of...purple hair? She sat up slightly, raising a hand and placing it against the boy's cheek. "Ph-Phantom Dark?" she whispered hopefully, her eyes becoming brighter. "Phantom Dark?!"

 

Daisuke put his hand over hers, shaking his head negatively. "I'm sorry, Risa-chan," he said, standing up off of her. "It's only me." Feeling the transformation become almost complete, he apologized and took off in the opposite direction.

 

The brunette blinked, hurriedly standing up. Taking a step forward, she squinted to get a better look at his retreating form. That dark purple hair was unmistakable. It belonged to Dark and no other. Raising a hand to her heart, she stared hard as the figure went out of sight. "Niwa-kun... you really are...Dark-san?" She smiled softly and tucked a strand of silky brown hair behind her ear. "I should have known sooner."

 

"Risa-san..? What are you doing out in the halls? Class has begun already?"

 

Risa turned to see Satoshi Hiwatari. She gave a small, embarrassed giggle. "Oh, I just had a little accident. I'll be on my way now."

 

Satoshi watched her from behind his glasses as she headed down the halls towards her first period class. He then looked down the other end of the hall, a smirk forming on his handsome face. "Daisuke-kun...you may still achieve your divine maiden..."

 

AAAAAAAAAAAA

 

After school, Daisuke walked through the courtyard by himself. He was still thinking about the collision between himself and Risa earlier that morning. "She must think I'm the biggest klutz in the world," he thought aloud. "I'm never going to get her to love me back..."

 

`Cheer up, Dai-chan. These things take time." Dark sniggered in the recesses of his mind. `Besides, you weren't acting any more klutzy than usual. Risa-chan must be used to you running into her by now, so I doubt that this morning's run-in really made that much of a difference.'

 

"Dark, shut up!"

 

"Niwa-kun, who are you talking to?"

 

Daisuke jumped, hearing the familiar feminine voice behind her. Whirling around, he scratched the black of his neck nervously. "R-Risa-chan! I wasn't expecting you to sneak up on me!" He let out a small laugh. "I-I wasn't talking to anyone...just to...myself...heh..."

 

`Real smooth, Dai-chan...' Dark said sarcastically.

 

Daisuke mentally kicked Dark in the groin for, once again, butting in at the worst possible moment. The thief let out a small wince and immediately shut up.

 

"Niwa-kun, could I talk to you for a minute?" Risa asked; her voice quieter than usual.

 

The red-haired teen turned his head and gave her his full attention. "Uh, sure...What is it?"

 

The brunette bit her lip, fiddling with the bow on her uniform blouse. "It's a little private, Niwa-kun. I don't want anyone else overhearing. Could you...follow me, please?"

 

Daisuke nodded and followed the teenage girl down the brick pathway. Stuffing his hands in his pant pockets, he walked slowly behind her. Dark was still surprisingly quiet in his mind, and though he was staring intensely at Risa, he didn't feel the urge to transform. Things were looking up.

 

When the two teenagers reached the park, the brown-eyed girl stopped walking. She sat down on a wooden bench and motioned for her friend to do the same. Once he sat, she quickly reached out and took his hands in her owns. "Niwa-kun...this morning when we ran into each other..." she paused and looked away, a light blush spreading across her pale cheeks.

 

The red-haired boy laughed. "I'm so sorry about that, Risa-chan. I'm just a big klutz and I didn't really look where I was going."

 

Risa shook her head. "No, it's not that...I don't care that you ran into me. I'm kind of used to it..."

 

`Told you, Dai-chan.' Dark sniggered, listening to the conversation with interest.

 

Daisuke ignored him and watched as Risa continued talking.

 

"I...when you were running away after that, no even before you left, you looked different. You weren't Daisuke Niwa. You were...or you looked like...Phantom Dark." She looked away, dropping his hands. "I know it's silly of me to think that I saw him but...I could swear that it was his face and not yours. Do you think I'm crazy, Niwa-kun?"

 

The redhead smiled. "No, not at all."

 

"Niwa-kun, I want to ask you a question. And....Could you please be truthful with your answer?" Her friend nodded and she leaned forward to whisper in his ear. "Niwa-kun are you...are you Phantom Dark?"

 

Daisuke's eyes widened. He pulled away slightly, averting his gaze to the floor. How could he answer that? Risa wanted him to be truthful...but...if he told her, his cover would be blown. And if she wasn't really his sacred maiden, then who knew what could happen? She could tell everyone, and then the secret of the Niwa family would be exposed. Balling his hands into fists, he shook his head. "Risa...I..."

 

"You're not?" Risa sighed. "I'm so stupid. I could have sworn you were him." Tears welled in her big, brown eyes. "I'm sorry, Niwa-kun. I never should have asked you such a silly question. But that one night when I met Dark after you ditched me, I could swear I saw your eyes in his. I could swear that you were a part of him...and" she blushed, not believing that she was actually telling Daisuke all of this. "And that's one of the reasons I felt so attracted to him..."

 

Risa brought one of her hands to rest on Daisuke's shoulders. Leaning even closer to him, she closed her eyes. "His kiss..." she brushed her lips lightly against his, and they both sucked in their breaths.

 

Daisuke could feel himself loosing control over his body. Risa was actually kissing him! "Risa..."

 

Risa pressed their lips together more forcefully, not letting him speak so she could prove her point. She was reenacting the kiss between herself and Dark. And if she had been right about the whole thing, Dark would be there when she pulled away.

 

"His kiss was just like that..." She whispered after their kiss.

 

She dared now to open her eyes, and a large smile appeared on her face. There on the bench sat the Phantom Dark in place of where Daisuke had been. "I was right! You're Daisuke Niwa and the Phantom Thief Dark!"

 

Dark smirked, nodding his head. "Risa..." he whispered, standing up from the bench. "Dai-chan and I are one in the same. He is me, just as I am him. We are one mind, one body, one soul. If you love one of us, as you claim to love me, than you love the other. So if you love the Phantom Dark...you are also in love with Daisuke Niwa."

 

Risa looked to the floor. She could love two people? No, they weren't two people. Dark had told her...him and Daisuke were the same. Loving one was loving the other. So...all this time she thought of Daisuke as only her best friend...she had secretly been in love with him? In a way, that made sense. And it also made sense because that was how she knew Daisuke was Dark. She had known in her heart...because she loved him.

 

"I'm going to let Dai-chan back in control now."

 

Dark slowly faded and was replaced by Daisuke's shorter, ganglier form. The redhead was wearing a goofy grin and his face was flushed. Risa giggled, wrapping her arms around his waist. "Niwa-kun...no, Dai-chan..." she buried her face in his soft hair. "To love one is to love the other. Dai-chan, I love Phantom Dark...but I love you just the same, maybe even more."

 

Daisuke smiled, wrapping his arms around the girl's waist. Once again, Dark had been right. All Risa needed was a push in the right direction. To figure out whom he was, and who Dark was too. Pulling away slightly, he raised a hand and cupped her cheek with it. "Risa-chan...I...I love you too." And not saying anything further, he sealed the space between them with a chaste kiss.