D. N. Angel Fan Fiction ❯ Who is the Greatest Thief? ❯ Purification by Accident ( Chapter 7 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

Who is the Greatest Thief?
 
Chapter 7—Purification by Accident
 
Note:::
 
`. . .' is Daisuke speaking to Dark
 
:. . .: is Dark speaking to Daisuke
 
---
 
“Is it just me, or is this becoming extremely episodal?” Ginryu asked, lying on the couch in the girls' apartment. She was absorbed in playing a handheld videogame.
 
“What do you mean?” Aiko asked, without pausing her typing.
 
“You know—we're high school students by day, art thieves by night, you research our target, we steal it, and do it all over again the next day. It's like a badly written anime.”
 
“So. . .you're saying we should do something totally out of the blue?” Kora asked, her homework spread out in front of her on the floor.
 
“Yeah. . .shake up the plotline.”
 
“Well, maybe the writer of this badly directed anime will throw in a plot twist by the end of this particular episode.” Aiko hit a few final keys and spun around in her chair. “Okay, we can go now.”
 
“Did you send an e-mail to the police?” Ginryu asked.
 
“Wouldn't that be too. . .predictable? Episodal? Et cetera?” Aiko smirked and ducked the pillow that was thrown her way.
 
“We don't need to contact the police, they'll already be there. Again.” Kora pointed her pencil in the direction of the TV.
 
“Oh, you have got to be kidding,” Ginryu and Aiko said at the same time.
 
---
 
“But Mom—”
 
“No buts, Daisuke.” Emiko Niwa tugged on the hem of her son's shirt, smoothing the fabric. “And remember, if you see those girls again tonight, don't let them steal anything from you.”
 
“Mom, they wouldn't take any of the Hikari items—those artworks are all from this world, right?”
 
:Sometimes even I'm not that sure. . .:
 
`Please don't say that, Dark. . .'
 
“I know they seem like nice girls, Dai, but I don't like the way they're stealing all of your attention.” Emiko straightened, striking a dramatically forlorn pose. “Dark is supposed to be the greatest thief of all. . .”
 
:Hey, hey! I still am!:
 
“But besides that. . .” Emiko placed her hands on Daisuke's shoulders, serious this time. “If that jewel last night really was a bomb. . .you and Dark could have been hurt. So just be careful around them, okay?”
 
“Mom. . .I'll be fine. Dark knows what he's doing.” Daisuke smiled and gave his mother a hug. “So what am I after tonight?”
 
---
 
“Dark will be after the necklace `Chain of Memory' on the first floor,” Kitsune said into her communicator. She was kneeling at the edge of the copse of trees that surrounded the museum, obscured from sight. She could see everything inside and around the museum, however, as she had once again tapped into the security and television cameras. “And we're after the `Vase of Demeter' on the second floor.”
 
“What is with all the fancy names?” Akkiko muttered from her usual position, hidden within the shadows in the museum. “Can't people just appreciate the beauty of the art itself?”
 
“It adds to the drama,” Tenshi said, from her position on the roof. “And it looks better in advertisements. Or on warning cards.”
 
Kitsune continued typing. “Apparently this artwork was named such because of the woman carved on the front. Historians were stumped as to where and when the vase was made, or who she is. So they just called her Demeter, the Greek goddess of the Harvest, and plopped it in the museum.”
 
“Why aren't the police in the building yet?” Tenshi asked. “You would think they'd have been in there hours ago, fruitlessly preparing for another strike by Phantom Thief Dark. They're just sitting outside.”
 
“That would be because of the wards,” Kitsune said, grinning.
“What wards?” the other two girls asked, sounding a little freaked.
 
“Hey, Akkiko wanted something different—so I hacked the police database and sent orders to stay out of the building because new security measures were being implemented. But they're really magic wards I planted when I was at the museum earlier today.”
 
“Who'd you say that order came from?” Tenshi asked, suspicious.
 
“Why, your Satoshi-kun, of course.” Kitsune's grin grew and Akkiko laughed. “I want to see what happens when he and Dark show up and react to the wards.”
 
“You are so bad,” Tenshi said, shaking her head. “And what do you mean, my Satoshi-kun?”
 
“Hush,” Kitsune snapped, switching her com-link to the police radios. “Hiwatari's here, and he's not happy. Ladies, prepare yourselves—”
 
“What are you doing?”
 
Kitsune jumped a foot in the air, squealing. She twisted to see Dark standing there, regarding her with a rather amused look. She glared at him.
 
“Do you mind?”
 
“Sorry, but I was curious about what exactly you pulled to make half the police force sit on their asses tonight.” He leaned over to look at her computer screen. “I thought I heard something about magic wards.”
 
“Kitsune? What happened?” Akkiko's voice crackled in Kitsune's ear-piece. She pushed Dark away and started her typing again.
 
“Your boyfriend's here, Akki. I'm sending him in through the roof.” She turned to look up at Dark. “Don't worry, the wards shouldn't effect you from that point.”
 
Dark tilted his head, suspicious. “But you're not sure?”
 
Kitsune shrugged. “Just trying to jazz things up around here.”
 
“I feel so much better knowing that.” He turned and took off, landing on the roof beside Tenshi.
 
“What's up?” the Darkangel nodded to him.
 
“One question: am I going to explode when I open this?” Dark asked, gesturing towards the skylight.
 
“Maybe.”
 
He facepalmed. “Jesus, you girls make things complicated.”
 
“Yes. Yes we do.”
 
Any further banter was interrupted as a helicopter dropped down from the clouds, shining its powerful lights on the two. Both Dark and Tenshi cursed and bolted for the skylight.
 
“Ladies first,” Dark shouted. Tenshi nodded and dropped down; the last thing she saw was a figure dropping from the `copter.
 
She immediately took off down the hallway, stopping as she rounded the corner. She heard Dark heading in the opposite direction, and then a second person dropped down. She heard Satoshi's voice speaking into a walkie-talkie.
 
“Hold your positions. Dark is on the second floor, moving down towards the Chain of Memory.” She head static-laced reply. “No, he did not set up those `security measures'. Those came from the other three we saw last night. Do not come into the building until I can find and disconnect them. Over.”
 
She heard Satoshi take off down the hall and sighed. Time to get to work.
 
“Akkiko?” she spoke into her earpiece. “What's your status?”
 
“Bored.”
 
“I mean, do you have the vase yet?”
 
“No, I'm waiting for something interesting to happen. Hey, Kitsune, are those wards still up?”
 
“Yes. . .but the police are moving on their own, even though Hiwatari told them not to.”
 
All three girls facepalmed.
 
“What kind of wards did you use, Kitsune?” Tenshi asked.
 
“. . .The exploding kind!”
 
“Akkiko? Get the vase and get out of here. The musuem's coming down.”
 
“Oh, you're exaggerating! They'll just dispel a lot of smoke. . .which will turn anyone nearby pink.” Kitsune coughed and closed her laptop. “So you still might want to get out of there. There are going to be a lot of angry policemen right about. . .”
 
Tenshi and Akkiko both heard explosions from outside, followed by screams and yells of outrage.
 
“. . .now.”
 
Akkiko sighed and approached the Vase of Demeter. She clicked in the security code Kitsune had given her earlier and within seconds had the emerald-green metal pitcher in her hands. She inspected the goddess on the front before peering inside to ensure no one had stuck a tracking device in the empty container.
 
At that moment a policemen skidded into the room. And he was, indeed, dyed pink.
 
“Halt!” he yelled, drawing his firearm.
 
Akkiko snickered. “Sorry, but I just can't take anyone seriously when they've been colored. . .pink. . .”
 
The officer growled and fired a warning shot. Akkiko jumped and hurried through the archway. Another shot rang out.
 
“Shit!” she cursed. “These guys aren't fooling around anymore!”
 
“Akkiko!” Tenshi rounded a corner and leapt up to the shadowy ceiling. “Keep going, I'll get rid of him!”
 
Akkiko obliged her friend and continued towards the central part of the museum. She heard another minor explosion followed by a thump as the knock-out gas overwhelmed the overzealous officer. She turned to see if Tenshi was behind her and slipped.
 
The Vase of Demeter flew out of her hands as Akkiko slid and crashed into the guard railing of the area that overlooked the main floor. The vase's handle caught on one of the chandeliers that hung from the ceiling.
 
There was silence for a minute and then water began to pour from what had been an empty vessel.
 
---
 
Dark raced down the halls, and heard Satoshi behind him.
 
:Damn—I should have gotten here early!: he thought. :Damn those girls. . .:
 
`Maybe Mom was right. . .we should avoid them from now on. . .' Daisuke said, sweatdropping.
 
As Dark entered the room where the Chain of Memory necklace was held, he launched himself into the air to get a better angle at swiping it. The glass case had already been removed; all he had to do was snatch it up. He heard Satoshi cursing as he arched back into the air.
 
The necklace was simple, with a thick chain and a pendant in the shape of a key. There was a note wrapped around the chain; Dark flattened himself against a ledge on the wall and unrolled it:
 
Thought I'd help out, just in case things got crazy. Akkiko.
 
:Heh. Maybe they're not so bad.:
 
“Dark!”
 
The thief smirked down at Satoshi. “Yes, Commander Hiwatari?”
 
“That necklace was under perfect surveillance when I was here this afternoon. Those girls helped you, didn't they?”
 
Dark laughed. “The great Phantom Thief Dark works alone. I would think a Hikari would know that by now.”
 
Satoshi glared. “Then what are those girls hoping to achieve? I know you know.”
 
“Ask them yourself. If you can catch them. Or I'll tell you—if you can catch me.”
 
Dark was about to take off once more when explosions rocked along the perimeter of the building. Both men cursed.
 
“Those idiots,” Satoshi said, spinning around.
 
“I wouldn't worry; those girls aren't interested in murder. They just want the art.” Dark jumped to the ground, spinning the Chain of Memory around his finger casually. “Well, shall we continue—”
 
At that moment, they heard gunshots. Dark grabbed the necklace, tensing. Satoshi, too, looked surprised.
 
“Heh—you don't want them getting hurt, do you?” Dark said. “Any more than you want Daisuke getting hurt.”
 
Satoshi ignored him. “They aren't supposed to discharge their weapons with all the media and citizens outside.”
 
“Sounds like someone's ignoring that order.” They heard another explosion. “Well, I don't know about you, but I'm going to see what's going on.” He raced out of the room.
 
Satoshi gritted his teeth. What were those girls doing?
 
He ran after Dark again, but this time he wasn't interested in someone catching someone else. He just wanted to make sure she was—
 
Dark tucked the Chain of Memory into a pocket in his shirt as he ran, not really attempting to evade anyone. He just wanted to make sure she was—
 
He entered the main hall of the museum and skidded.
 
:What the hell?!: he thought, looking up at the miniature waterfall coming from a pitcher hooked on the chandelier.
 
Water was filling the room, making the ceramic tile very slippery; even a Phantom Thief didn't stand much a chance. Dark slipped and slid right under the stream of water, spluttering.
 
Satoshi saw Dark go down and tried to keep his balance, but felt something dragging him down, a strange force acting behind the normal gravity in the room. He, too, slipped and went under the waterfall.
 
There were several flashes of light, and then darkness below.
 
---
 
Tenshi ran down the hall, cursing. “What did you do?”
 
Akkiko blinked stars out of her eyes and picked herself up. She peered over the rail to the main floor. Water continued to pour from the Vase of Demeter. Her eyes widened as she saw what had happened below.
 
“Um. . .Tenshi?”
 
Tenshi skidded to a stop beside her friend. She did a double-take.
 
“What did you do?”
 
Akkiko coughed and clicked on her communicator. “Hey, Kitsune? What exactly are the properties of the vase?”
 
“According to Yuuko, it was used to temporarily separate demonic presences from the bodies of mortals. Why?”
 
“It still works,” Akkiko said. “We may need some backup.”
 
Tenshi balanced on the railing before launching herself at the chandelier. She retrieved the pitcher, and the endless waterfall ceased.
 
And below her were four groaning figures; two normal, one with black wings, and one with white wings.
 
“Things are definitely getting complicated.”
 
---
 
A/N: . . .Wow, this getting so random. Um. . .yes. . .magical wards that turn people pink. Fun for the entire family. . .
 
But really, the main point of this whole story was getting the four guys separated by this alien piece of artwork. So. . .now the real plotline begins! I think. . .
 
And my favorite part of this chapter?
 
“One question: am I going to explode when I open this?”
 
“Maybe.”
 
XD Poor, poor Dark.
 
Happy New Year!! 2007—Rawk!
 
Disclaimer: D.N.Angel and its characters and settings are all owned by the appropriate parties. . .not me. I own original characters and settings as well as the plotline. And THAT'S ALL.