Death Note Fan Fiction / Death Note Fan Fiction ❯ Bohemian Rhapsody ❯ Part IV: Hard Rock ( Chapter 4 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

First off, I apologize for the insanely long wait. I don't know why I'm having so much trouble writing these days. I love writing, but I'm just so tired of everything else.
 
Disclaimer: I do not own the characters from Death Note. The lyrics from “Bohemian Rhapsody” are the intellectual property of Queen.
 
----------------------------------------------------------------- -------------------------------------------------------------------------
 
Bohemian Rhapsody
 
-
 
Part IV: Hard Rock
 
-
 
Raito's Point of View
 
-
 
“Yagami-kun.”
 
I raised my eyes in the direction of the voice, though I didn't have to look to know it was L.
 
Maybe I shouldn't have bothered to look. I already knew what I'd see: a pale, hunched figure; hands shoved into pockets; black, disheveled hair shrouding blank obsidian eyes.
 
Whoever said the eyes were the gateway to the soul had obviously never met L. Either that or L's soul contained nothingness.
 
I waited expectantly for L to continue speaking. I didn't bother trying to fake hope in my eyes. I knew L wanted Justice—and I knew what that meant.
 
“I have reached a decision.”
 
I remained silent, my eyes trained on his unblinkingly.
 
“I have come to the conclusion that Justice would best be served if you underwent the death penalty.”
 
-
 
So you think you can stone me and spit in my eye
So you think you can love me and leave me to die
 
-
 
I didn't react. The fight was over. I just needed… acceptance.
 
-
 
Oh baby
Can't do this to me baby
 
-
 
“You are scheduled to be euthanized at twelve o'clock noon tomorrow.”
 
-
 
Just gotta get out
 
-
 
“You will be permitted to see your father one last time right now.”
 
-
 
Just gotta get right out of here
 
-
 
I was vaguely aware of hands grasping my shoulders and leading me from my cell. After that, everything was a blur. At some point, my father's face swam into view. He spoke to me. I spoke to him. L showed up again. And then I was back behind bars.
 
-
 
Nothing really matters
 
-
 
I was going to die in less than a day's time.
 
I just wish I had more time… to redeem myself.
 
-
 
Anyone can see
Nothing really matters
Nothing really matters to me
Any way the wind blows
 
-
 
----------------------------------------------------------------- -------------------------------------------------------------------------
 
Third Person Point of View
 
-
 
L couldn't let Raito go just because Raito was his first friend. If L allowed emotions to get involved, it would compromise the case.
 
It was logic that awarded him victory in the Kira case—it was the same kind of logic that helped him conclude how to bring Kira to Justice.
 
It really wasn't so complicated after all, at least in L's eyes. Raito regretted his actions as Kira. L was simply giving Raito an opportunity to redeem himself.
 
To the world (even the detectives working with L on the Kira case—in other words, all except L himself and Watari), Kira would be dead—a nameless, faceless, but very human individual would be executed today at 12 o'clock noon. (L even went so far as to arrange for a different criminal, one deserving of the death penalty, to take the place of “Kira.” Perhaps L was a hypocrite, he broke the law, but when he did it was always for the right reasons and he was never caught.)
 
Yagami Raito, however—formerly known as Kira—would begin his lifelong community service sentence working alongside L, assisting him in solving cases the within the laws of society.
 
Deceiving Raito into believing he was going to be killed (again) may have been cruel and unusual if Raito himself hadn't accepted death as the only possible outcome. L wondered abstractly if there would be any psychologically or emotionally damaging repercussions due to his deceptions, but then L rationalized that Raito shouldn't have played that game in the first place if he wanted to avoid injuring his psyche.
 
L also wondered if he'd regret keeping Raito alive. What if things didn't work out?
 
L shook his head. L knew he wouldn't regret it, and that he had brought Raito to Justice.
 
And when L knew something, L was always right.
 
-
 
.owari.
 
----------------------------------------------------------------- -------------------------------------------------------------------------
 
So… I'm not really sure if I'm going to write a sequel to this. I really would like to write an LxLight piece sometime, but I don't really know if it's going to be a direct spin-off of this or something different.
 
But anyway, if you're interested—keep on the lookout. It will probably be at least a few months before I begin—maybe even a year or more. I would like to finish up some of my KH stuff before I start on another super-long story. I hope it will be epic though. xD
 
I don't deserve reviews for this. It took abysmally long and it just wasn't up to the quality I expect my writing to be. However, I give you my thanks for reading.