Death Note Fan Fiction ❯ Rules ❯ Chapter 7 ( Chapter 8 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Rules
 
A/N: "Last Beautiful Girl" and "Mad Season" belong to Matchbox 20.
 
Chapter 7
 
That night, Light had difficulty sleeping. There was so much to think about, so much to plan. It was possible, considering the recent developments, that his previous plans would be unnecessary, and it would certainly be counterproductive to implement them until he knew for certain. But that left him with the task of developing new ones, and that fired up his brain so much that he had trouble shutting it down for the purpose of sleep. When 3 AM rolled around, he flipped on his computer to get a head start on researching tomorrow's executions; ten minutes later, he had fallen asleep at his keyboard.
 
He woke around 9:30 the next morning with a painful stiffness in his neck. Grumbling, he dragged his body down the hall and into the shower. As the hot water pounded onto his head, flowing over his skin and easing his tense muscles, his mind began to work again. He had concocted several plans last night, but this morning his thoughts kept going back to one in particular. It was the most risky, the most unsophisticated, and the most … well … childish. But for some reason he couldn't reject it, and by the time he turned off the water, he had decided just to go for it.
 
He pushed open his bedroom door with renewed confidence and resolve.
 
"Ryuk, go home."
 
"Aww, but Light --"
 
The stare that Light sent him pinned the Shinigami to the wall. Ryuk swallowed.
 
"Right then. See you later, Light."
 
Even before Ryuk had finished phasing through the wall, Light had his phone in his hand and was dialing numbers.
 
"Hello?"
 
"Ethan, it's Light. You know how we were going to go to lunch this afternoon?"
 
"Yeah."
 
"Well, I may need to cancel. I don't know yet if I will or not, but --"
 
"Hey, not a problem," Ethan's friendly voice interrupted. "Just let me know when you do know, okay?"
 
"Yeah. Thanks, Ethan."
 
"Anytime. See ya."
 
Light hung up the phone and stared at it for a moment. With that, he had put his previous plans on hold, but he could pick them back up again if the need arose. All that remained now was to give this new plan a try, and for that, he just had to visit the McCormicks' house. Slowly, as if with dawning realization, he looked down at his bare chest and the towel around his waist. Perhaps, he conceded internally, that wasn't the only thing he needed to do.
 
Forty minutes later, Light, dressed and groomed, knocked on the McCormicks' front door. His professor opened it with a surprised smile.
 
"Light! What can I do for you?"
 
"Good morning, Professor," he replied with his usual friendliness. "Is Elijah in? I'd like to talk to him."
 
"Sure. Come on in." She held the door open for him, and he entered the house. As he did so, he heard music coming from the dining room and a soft soprano singing along.
 
"It won't be the first heart that you break; it won't be the last, beautiful girl. The one that you wrecked won't take you back if you were the last beautiful girl in the world …"
 
Curious, he poked his head in and saw a familiar bubbly blonde, wiping up the table and bobbing her head along with the music. Her hair was up in a messy ponytail, her sleeves had been rolled up to her elbows, and various trashbags and cleaning supplies were strewn all around her. She waved at Light briefly with a rag.
 
Light turned to Julie with a confused look. "Annie cleans your house?"
 
The other smiled. "When she threw the party that made my house a mess? You bet she does." She gestured with her hand. "This way, Light. Elijah's upstairs." With Light following, she walked over to the bottom of the stairs and called, "Elijah! Light is here to see you."
 
Almost immediately, Elijah's voice floated down, "Tell him I'm not home and to come again another day."
 
Julie exchanged an amused look with Light and answered, "Tell him yourself. He's right here."
 
After a small pause, the voice asked, "Light?"
 
"Yes?" Light replied, sending his voice up the stairs.
 
"I'm not home. Come again another day."
 
Annie must have been listening in from the other room, for she burst into laughter. Julie chuckled and waved Light up the stairs before turning and going into the kitchen. Shrugging, Light did as he was bidden and climbed the steps to the second floor. He peeked into rooms until he found Elijah's at the end of the hall.
 
The blond didn't even look up when Light came in. His eyes stayed glued to the small television on his dresser as he slowly spooned ice cream into his mouth.
 
"Sorry, I didn't realize you were watching a movie," Light apologized. He moved a bit further into the room so that he could see the screen. "What is it?"
 
"Murder on the Orient Express," Elijah answered. "Agatha Christie's mysteries aren't that complicated, but I rather like Hercule Poirot." He smiled around the spoon, finally turning his eyes to match Light's gaze. "He's rather eccentric."
 
Light laughed lightly at this statement. "Well, you would know," he teased gently. Elijah's smile briefly morphed into a wide grin before his face went blank once more and his eyes returned to the screen. Light sighed and continued, "I kind of wanted to talk to you. If it's all right, could you finish watching this later?"
 
Immediately, the older man leapt off of his bed and walked over to the TV, switching it off. Turning to Light, he said in answer, "This is the fourth time I've watched it, so I don't mind." He stuffed in another mouthful of ice cream and asked around the spoon, "W'at 'id oo wan'?"
 
In response, Light reached behind him and shut the door to the room. Elijah raised an eyebrow at this but said nothing, content to wait. Once the door had closed, the younger man stood up straight and caught the eyes of the older man in a strong, steady gaze.
 
"I want to end these games," he stated.
 
Elijah raised the other eyebrow. "Games?" he echoed.
 
"I know who you are. And you know I know." Light smiled at him. "How could I not? So I want to end this pretending, at least when it's just you and me. I completely understand you wanting to keep it up when others are around, and I'll respect that. But I …" He took a breath in preparation; here came the risky part. "I want to know why you've come back and how. I've concluded you're not after me, so I want to know what you are after, and if possible, I'd like to help you get it."
 
Still, Elijah said nothing. Light searched his face carefully. That blank expression could have been incomprehension, but it just as easily could have been a refusal to show a reaction. He cursed internally. Why was L so hard to read?
 
"You don't trust me," he continued, letting his tone take on a bit of pained disappointment. "I understand. I mean, I wouldn't trust me either if I were you. Not after I … after I … " … killed you. No, he couldn't get himself to say it. "Not after what I did to you. But I promise you, this isn't some kind of trap. I'm just …" He sighed and let his true emotions come forward. "I'm just tired, Ryuzaki. I don't want to be fighting you anymore. At least not over this."
 
He stopped and waited. Elijah did not move, did not blink. Light began to feel the frustration building within him. "I know other things, too. I know you have no name and an infinite lifespan. That's amazing, you know. I really want to know why you have that, how you got it, what your goals are. I don't have to be your enemy, you know. Not if you're not after me anymore. We were such good friends at one point. We can be that again if you want."
 
Still, nothing. Light's anger finally flared. "Why aren't you saying anything?" he demanded. "If you're not going to accept my offer of peace, then at least deny that you know what I'm talking about! Don't just stand there and stare at me!" His voice rose with every word, and by the end, his chest was heaving with the violent emotions that were coursing through him. "If you're insistent on being Elijah, then deny me. If you're going to be L, then accept me. Don't just say nothing! Dammit, why won't you say anything?!"
 
"Because," the answer finally came in a soft, sad voice, "I cannot say what you want to hear. So I say nothing."
 
"Then deny me," Light insisted, his head beginning to pound. "Tell me you're not L Lawliet. Tell me you have no memories of chasing Kira. Tell me you didn't die at my feet! Tell me you don't know what the fuck I'm talking about and that I must be completely insane!"
 
The blue eyes merely blinked. Now completely enraged, Light closed the space between them in an instant and grabbed Elijah by the shirt, bringing the other man's gaze level with his own. He had a terrible urge to start a fight, just like they had done so many times when they were handcuffed together, but he pushed that desire down inside of him. The women downstairs would hear and come running. Instead, he burned his eyes into Elijah's as if trying to light a fire in his soul. He opened his mouth to yell some more, but the quiet voice stopped him.
 
"Light, let me go."
 
It wasn't a request. It was a command. A very soft, sad, and powerful command. It extinguished Light's rage immediately. Slowly, his fingers uncurled. Once Elijah was freed, the blond stepped back and regarded the other with empty eyes.
 
"I'm sorry, Light," he said, regret etched deeply into his face. "But I cannot answer the questions you have asked me."
 
"And that is all you have to say to me?"
 
"Yes."
 
"Fine."
 
Light quickly walked to the door and pulled it open. From downstairs, Annie's light soprano lifted to them. She had apparently moved closer to the stairs, and she was singing a different song at the top of her voice.
 
"I feel stupid …"
 
Both geniuses noticeably winced at the lyric. Hesitantly, Light turned back to Elijah and locked gazes with him once more. The older man was still standing there with that expression of remorse.
 
"Ryuzaki," he said quietly, "I really didn't think you would respond this way."
 
"You don't know me now. I kind of thought that you should somehow …"
 
Light grimaced and tried to block Annie's voice from his head. The words, however, kept seeping in, seeming too appropriate to be real.
 
"That truce I offered last night. I really thought we could extend it. That it could be for more than one night."
 
"I've been changing. Think it's funny how no one knows …"
 
"But I guess a truce between L and Kira just isn't possible, is it?"
 
Elijah just looked at him. Light grit his teeth. How could this be happening? Of all the scenarios he had envisioned his plan taking, this had never occurred to him. He did know one thing, however. He knew where he had to go from here.
 
"I guess the games will go on," he stated in a flat tone. "But Ryuzaki --"
 
"You grow colder now, torn apart, angry, turned around …"
 
"I won't hold back anymore. It's back to war now, between you and me. And I hope you know you're the one who's responsible this time."
 
He turned sharply on his heel, not waiting for a response he knew wouldn't come, and quickly fled down the stairs and out the door. Annie's voice followed him, haunting him.
 
"Are you gonna stand there? Are you gonna help me out? We need to be together now. I need you now …"
 
Once outside, Light ripped his cell from his pocket and punched in the numbers with shaking fingers.
 
"Hello?"
 
"Ethan? Light again."
 
"Heya, Light. Is your schedule clearer now?"

"Yeah. Turns out I can make lunch after all."
 
"Excellent. I'll see you there."
 
"Yeah," Light sighed. His shoulders drooped slightly, and his feet dragged. "See you there."
 
xXx
 
Outside, the rain pounded down mercilessly. Red and brown leaves tumbled over each other as the wind blew them down the street, and the trees that had once held those leaves bent and shuddered as if afraid. Inside, Elijah rested his head against the glass and watched the water pour from the sky. It reminded him of tears.
 
How long had it been since he had cried? Long enough that he couldn't remember the last time. He felt a bit like crying now, but he knew he wouldn't. His eyes didn't do things like that. After all, he wouldn't have cried for Watari even if he had been given the chance, and if anyone deserved tears from the reserved detective, the old man had. So he wouldn't cry, and no one would cry for him.
 
No, that wasn't true anymore. Julie would cry. Annie would, too, although Mark would kiss her tears away and comfort her until she forgot. But Julie would cry for weeks, even with Rich to hold her. A sharp pain tore through Elijah's chest. Julie would cry for him.
 
Damn Light. Damn him! Elijah hadn't been surprised when Light had snared and seduced Ethan. It hurt a bit, but not too much to bear. But then the two of them had gone after Julie, and Light -- devious, scheming Light with his smiles and his charm and his damned persistence -- had stolen Julie away.
 
How dare he? Ethan was fair game, but Julie … Julie was … Julie was his. There was no other way to describe it. Not the way Watari had been his, not like a possession was his, but his all the same. To involve her in their fight, to pull her over to the opposing side and make her work against him, it was the worst kind of dirty play imaginable. It was an evil worthy of a demon killer like Kira.
 
His fists clenched tightly. Damn Light Yagami to the deepest depths of Hell.
 
"Elijah?"
 
He turned his head and found Julie standing a few feet away. She looked half dead from exhaustion. Another shot of pain lanced through him without explanation.

"Why are you still up?" he asked.
 
She smiled slightly. "I've been grading papers. Why are you still up? You don't have deadlines like I do."
 
He turned his face to the rain again. "I was thinking," he admitted.
 
"About what?" She had moved closer to him, and he felt her hand rest lightly on his back. He had never liked people touching him, but she was different. Over the months, she had slowly but insistently worked her way past his defenses and into his realm of trust. He had even begun to almost like the kisses she gave him. Almost.
 
"Julie," he heard himself asking, "are you really going to accept Light's offer?"
 
"Of course," she answered right away, making him flinch. "It's a fantastic opportunity. Kira is such a prominent and significant case right now. To be able to do a psychological profile using data from the leading police force, how could I possibly refuse?"
 
"You won't be able to publish anything," he argued. "It's too dangerous."
 
Her gaze on him intensified, and he turned farther away to avoid it. "I know that," she replied softly. "But I don't need to decide all of my activities based on their worthiness for publication."
 
His fingers dug into his palms. "It's a waste of your time."
 
"A waste?" she echoed. "How so? By that logic, all the puzzles everywhere, including the ones you do all the time, are a waste." Her hand moved to his head and began stroking his hair. "What's wrong?"
 
"Nothing."
 
Neither of them said anything for several minutes. He simply stood there, staring at the rain, and she stood next to him, running her fingers gently through his hair. Then, suddenly, her hand dropped and gripped his wrist.
 
"Come here," she ordered.
 
Surprised and confused, he only slightly resisted as she dragged him to a couch and forced him to lie down next to her with his head in her lap. Her fingers resumed their travels through his hair, and her other hand rested on his shoulder. She said nothing.
 
"Julie --" he began after a few minutes.
 
"It's okay," she interrupted. "You don't need to tell me. I understand that sometimes it's really hard to talk to someone else, and that's okay. Just know that it'll be all right, Elijah. Rich and I are here to help, or just to be here if that's all you want. We love you, and we're here."
 
Elijah squeezed his eyes tightly shut, and his fingers curled into the fabric of Julie's slacks. Words started pouring into his head, one after the other. He hadn't understood before how following the rules could be difficult enough that no one had succeeded. It had made no sense to him that the others, when threatened with failure, had not simply run. Now, however, he was beginning to understand.
 
Julie, I'm not who you think I am. I'm not a homeless amnesiac. I'm a soul brought back to life because I was unhappy in Heaven. I used to be the detective in charge of the Kira case, but Kira managed to get one step ahead of me and killed me. Julie, Light is Kira, and he's furious at me because I won't acknowledge who I am. He's going to use this psychological profile of yours to drive me into a corner because if I refuse to participate, you and Ethan will get suspicious and try to include me, but if I do participate, I'm certain to break the rules that allow me to stay here and then I'll have to leave and I don't want to leave because for the first time in my entire existence I actually have people who care about me and about whom I care as well and for the first time I'm happy and that's the whole reason I was given a second chance to begin with and I don't want to go!
 
A single tear pushed its way out of Elijah's eye and fell onto Julie's lap. If she noticed, she made no indication but continued to soothe him gently with her fingers. Slowly, tiredness began to creep over Elijah, and the flood of words and emotions ebbed away into an empty calm. The screams in his head died out, and the tension in his muscles eased. He felt sleep begin to overtake him.
 
Before it did, he lightly hugged the lap in which his head rested and whispered lowly so she could not hear, "Aishiteru, okaasan."