Digimon Fan Fiction ❯ A Digi-Tale [FFC] ❯ Chapter 2 - revised ( Chapter 2 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

A Digi-Tale, Chapter 2

by Time Lady

-----------------------

Disclaimer: I do not own Digimon. I'm just borrowing them for the duration of this story.

-----------------------

Princess Hikari picked at her dinner. She sat at the royal table between Prince Taichi and Lord Daisuke. Lady Mimi was across from them.

"Lord Daisuke, kindly remove your elbows from the table," reprimanded Mimi.

"Sorry my lady," he replied with a blush.

"Hikari darling, what is wrong?" asked the queen.

"I'm sorry Mama," returned Hikari. "I guess I'm not very hungry."

Suddenly, a page approached the table and bowed respectfully. He whispered something in the king's ear. The king's face lit up. "Really? Have all of his needs been attended to?"

"He is refreshing himself as we speak your highness," replied the page.

"Excellent. We will receive him in the sitting room." The king turned to those assembled at dinner. "We are in for a treat. You are all invited to come to the sitting room after dinner."

"Who Father?" asked Taichi.

"Someone special," was all the king would say.

After dinner, everyone assembled in the royal sitting room. Pages had brought in additional seats so that everyone would have a place to sit. The chairs were arranged as if to watch a performance. Daisuke maneuvered so he was sitting next to Hikari. The princess rolled her eyes in exasperation. She was tired of the young noble's attention. As much as Daisuke and Taichi hoped otherwise, Hikari had absolutely no interest in Daisuke as a possible husband. Unfortunately Daisuke and Yamato were her father's prime choices at this point.

The page stepped forward and bowed with a flourish. "Your majesties, honored guests, may I have the honor of presenting Wizardmon."

Hikari sat up, her interest perked. Wizardmon hadn't visited the palace in at least five years. His visits were always special.

"I apologize for the delay in my arrival your highness," said Wizardmon as he bowed with a flourish. "I was held up by the storm."

"As long as you are well," said the king. "I asked you here to ask you to perform at a special occasion. Taichi's betrothed, Princess Sora, will be coming for a visit in a month."

"And you were hoping I would perform for the princess," added Wizardmon knowingly. The king nodded. "I would be honored your highness. And I am also certain that the youngsters were hoping for a special performance now."

Wizardmon spent the next half-hour performing tricks to please the royal family. Only those who knew Wizardmon well knew that this was just a hobby of the Digimon. His powers far surpassed those that any imagined. Yet he knew that if he used his full power, people and Digimon could be hurt. He preferred to give the image of a simple traveling entertainer.

After his performance, the group split. The king and queen had business to attend to. The tutors had lessons to plan. Daisuke and Taichi wanted to play a game of ball before bed. Miyako had a headache and went to bed early. Hikari was left alone, save Gatomon. The two walked out to the palace gardens and sat on a bench. Scanning the heavens, Gatomon pointed up. "Look Hikari. The first star of the evening is out."

"Hmmm. . . ." Hikari looked up at the lone star. "Star light, star bright, first star I see tonight. I wish I may, I wish I might, have the wish I wish tonight." Hikari closed her eyes and wished with all her heart.

"And what might that wish be, your highness?" Hikari opened her eyes to find Wizardmon standing before her. "A new gown? A new tiara? A silken flower for your hair?" Wizardmon reached behind the princess' ear and pulled out a silk rose, which he presented to her with a bow.

"Thank you," said Hikari, managing a smile. "But I don't know if you'll believe what I wished for."

"Try me. I've heard many wishes in my time," said Wizardmon with a wink.

"A man I can love," replied the princess.

"You're not serious," said Gatomon. One look said the princess was.

"I know I will have to marry soon for the sake of the crown. But I would rather marry a man I can love, rather than be forced into a political marriage or one of convenience to someone like Daisuke."

"And what qualities would this man have to have?" asked Wizardmon, his mind already at work.

"Oh come on," began Gatomon.

"I want a man who is strong, yet gentle and loving. A man I can rely on when I need to. A man I can tell my innermost thoughts to."

"You don't want a lot," said Gatomon as she suppressed a chuckle.

"Hmmm. . . . I can't guarantee anything princess," said Wizardmon. "Though when I come next to the palace, I might be able to bring an angel with me."

"Wizardmon, what. . . ." Before Gatomon could finish her statement, Wizardmon was gone. She and Hikari looked at each other in confusion.

---

The next morning, Takeru was up just before the sun. He had an agenda to follow. The night before he told Cook that he wanted to be at the market first thing in the morning, so she had left her shopping list and money on a table in the kitchen. Takeru snatched it up, grabbed a piece of day old bread and a big basket, and was out the door.

"Tell me again why we're out so early?" yawned Patamon as he flew behind Takeru.

"To get the errands done as soon as possible so we can sell the truffles from yesterday and find out the owner of the Digivice. Perhaps there's a reward for it."

"I never thought of that." Once they were out of the manor's grounds, Patamon flew up to the tree and retrieved their stash.

The two friends walked to the town as quickly as they could. The stalls in the market were setting out their wares. Coming early ensured the best pick of produce. By the time Takeru finished his shopping, the specialty shops were opening. He opened the door of the place he knew sold truffles when they could be found. A half-hour's haggling later he left with a sizable pouch of gold.

"If we keep this up," said Patamon as they walked to the Digi-Registry office, "by the time you come of age you'll have a small fortune."

Takeru sighed. It would only be a few more months before he was officially of age and legally able to leave his father. He didn't know what he would do when he left except take Patamon and go as far away from this province as possible. Perhaps they would go to another country altogether. He would do anything that would get them away from their current life. The Digi-Registry wouldn't open for another 15 minutes, so Takeru used one of his gold coins and splurged on a several meat turnovers for himself and Patamon. By the time they hungrily finished their breakfast the office had opened.

"Excuse me sir," said Takeru to the man behind the desk. "I found this digivice in forest and wished to locate its owner."

"Let me see it," returned the clerk. He pushed the buttons on the digivice. "Hmmm. . . ." He then placed the digivice in a carved crystal. "Are you sure this isn't your digivice?" asked the clerk.

"Yes sir. I don't own a digivice."

The clerk glanced over the desk at Patamon. "But you have a Patamon. And this digivice belongs to someone who is bonded with a Patamon. You didn't receive a digivice with him?"

"No. . . . I found Patamon's digi-egg in the forest."

"Put your hand on this crystal," said the clerk. The two crystals glowed in sync. "According to the crystals, this is your digivice. He handed the digivice to Takeru.

Stunned, Takeru stammered his thanks and left. "My digivice. . . . my own digivice. . . "

"Maybe you were supposed to find it when you found me," suggested Patamon. "And it's been lying there for years."

"I don't know," said Takeru. "Maybe Wizardmon will know."

"But we don't know where his cottage is," said Patamon. "And he said he was going to the capital."

"I think we'll run into him again soon. But right now we need to get back home. Cook needs these vegetables for lunch." Takeru took off at a run, with Patamon flying behind him as quickly as possible.

---

"Have you seen Wizardmon this morning?" Princess Hikari asked her tutor Sir Koushirou as she sat down in the library.

"I saw him briefly this morning as he was taking his leave of the king and queen," said Koushirou. "He said that he wished to return to his home as soon as possible to prepare for his show."

"Oh," said Hikari, disappointed at missing Wizardmon.

"Now Princess, please turn to page 129 of your science text," began Koushirou.

Hikari sighed and complied with her tutor's request.

---

Outside of the palace, Gatomon was astride the back of Saberleomon, the king's Digimon. "Faster," said Gatomon. "We need to catch up with Wizardmon. . . ."

"Why?" growled Saberleomon.

"I'm worried about what he said to Hikari." Gatomon refused to elaborate. It took the pair about ten minutes to catch up with Wizardmon.

"Is something wrong?" asked Wizardmon as the two bounded towards them.

"Why did you say you would bring the princess an angel?" asked Gatomon as she slid off Saber Leomon's back.

"That worries you?" said Wizardmon with a twinkle in his eyes. "Shall I bring you an angel too?"

"This is serious," said Saber Leomon as he devolved to Leomon.

"Now old friend, you should know me well enough," replied Wizardmon.

"I don't want to see the princess get her hopes and expectations up then have them shattered," said Gatomon.

"That's why I said I'd bring an angel," said Wizardmon. "An angel's time on this world is limited. It would take agreement on both parts for the angel to be able to remain."

"You are plotting something," said Leomon.

"I wish only for the princess to be happy," said Wizardmon.

- -

It was close to midnight by the time Takeru wearily trudged to the small attic room he shared with Patamon. The two had spent the day catering to the whims of Yamato and Gabumon. Thankfully the earl was taking his elder son to visit a neighboring duke. While the earl secretly longed for his elder son to win the heart and hand of the princess, his more practical side had him seeking out an advantageous marriage.

Takeru looked forward to the earl's absence. Not only would Yamato not be there, but the servants would also be free to take a secret holiday. Meaning for at least two days of the duke's weeklong absence the servants would do as little work as possible. Cook had secretly been making extra preserves and storing them away to sell at the market. Melorah, the chambermaid, planned to visit her parents. Vargas, the duke's manservant, planned to rest as much as he could. True, there were still chores to do, but they could be done at the leisure of the servants, rather than at the whim of the earl. Cleaning could be left until the day before the earl's return. True it would be a scurry, but the freedom and rest beforehand was more than worth it. Takeru planned to take advantage of that freedom to find Wizardmon's cottage. A little extra truffle hunting wouldn't hurt.

"One of these days. . . ." he heard Patamon muttering with a cough as he came into the room. Takeru's eyes went wide. The normally orange and white Digimon was now totally black.

"Patamon, what happened?"

"Gazimon and Gabumon happened. They grabbed me and dumped me into the charcoal bin."

"Let's get you cleaned up."

A half-hour later, Patamon was almost totally cleaned up. Some of the charcoal dust was imbedded in his fur and would take longer to get out. Patamon collapsed into the hammock hung for him. Wearily Takeru went to the loose floor plank under his bed and pulled out his secret stash. His small savings was growing. He was too old to become an apprentice and there weren't too many opportunities for a youth of his age. At this point his main choices were merchant or sailor. But once he left, there was time to study his opportunities. Finally he hid his savings back in its place and went to sleep.

Most of the next day was spent readying the earl and Yamato for their Journey. Nobles never traveled light. Yamato insisted on packing clothing for every possible occasion that might come up. Things had to be packed for Gazimon and Gabumon as well. Late afternoon the hired carriage finally pulled away. The staff waited until the carriage was well beyond the manor's gates before everyone felt they could relax. As if of one mind, they all went into the house and collapsed from exhaustion.

Fatigue set in, delaying Takeru's plans until the next day. Everyone was so exhausted that they slept straight through to the next morning. Early the next morning Takeru left a note for cook, then he and Patamon returned to the woods where they first met Wizardmon.

"So how do we find his cottage?" asked Patamon grumpily. He would rather be in his hammock asleep than wandering around the forest at this early hour.

"Why don't you fly up over the trees and see if you can spot anything?"

Reluctantly Patamon flew over the treetops. He returned a few moments later. "There's smoke coming from the north. Like from a campfire or chimney." The two went in the direction Patamon noted. After walking for about a mile, they came across a small clearing. A small, pleasant cottage sat in the center surrounded by a small, well kept garden. "Nice place," said Patamon as he flew closer.

"I hope this is the right place," said Takeru. He walked up to the door to knock. It swung open before he could touch it.

"Is it safe?" asked Patamon, who landed nervously behind Takeru.

"Yeah," returned Takeru, a note of uncertainty in his voice. They walked past several rooms. "This cottage didn't seem so large from the outside," he said after 10 minutes.

"Welcome Takeru, Patamon," said a voice from a nearby room. The two were nearly startled out of their skins. "Forgive me for not greeting you at the door," said Wizardmon as he walked through a door. "I knew you were coming, but I started reading while waiting for you. And once I start it's hard to stop."

"We weren't sure we'd found your home," said Takeru.

"Well, now that you're here, why don't you two join me for morning tea? I know that you have many questions. Hopefully not as many as the princess' tutor Sir Koushirou usually has. Once he starts asking he never seems to stop. Each answer I give him leads to five more questions." As he talks, he leads Takeru and Patamon through the house.

"I didn't realize your home was so large," said Takeru as they passed two more rooms.

"It's larger on the inside than on the outside," said Wizardmon casually. Before Takeru could ask what that meant, Wizardmon led them into a small, pleasantly furnished room. Wizardmon had been expecting them. That was certain from the 3 place settings at the table. The two guests' eyes went wide. On the table were foods that they had only had small tastes of when Cook snuck them tidbits. Foods that the earl felt were too good for servants. Sweet cakes, luscious jams and jellies, crisp cookies, rich custards. . . . Takeru and Patamon were amazed - and becoming hungrier by the moment.

"Please, eat, enjoy yourselves. Then we can talk," said Wizardmon. He smiled one of his hidden smiles in satisfaction as the two youngsters began to eat. They ate as if they hadn't been fed decently in weeks. Truthfully, all they had were the meager rations allowed them by the earl, supplemented by the occasional treat the two allowed themselves from Takeru's hard-earned money. Neither Patamon nor Takeru paid any attention to their host. If they had, they would be amazed at the food passing right through the high collar of his cloak to his perpetually hidden mouth.

Patamon and Takeru ate until they were beyond stuffed. "I don't think I've _ever_ ate that much," said Takeru. "Last time I had anything like that was when half a dozen guests didn't show up for one of the earl's banquets and there was food left over. And that must have been three years ago."

"Even when your mother was alive, the earl was not known for his generosity," said Wizardmon. "Your mother knew exactly how to get the earl to do what she wanted though. But everyone knew your mother was the one responsible."

"Could you. . . . tell me about my mother?" asked Takeru.

"She was a wonderful woman. Your mother was a model of kind and generosity. She is the one who tempered your father and brother. Have you ever seen a portrait?"

Takeru nodded. "There is one at the top of the grand stairs. When I look at the portrait, she looks so sad. Like she feels sorry for me, but can't help me."

"You two have the same eyes." Wizardmon noticed that despite Takeru's wanting to know more about his mother, the youth was in emotional pain. Too long deprived of the mother's love he desperately needed. Patamon also could tell that his friend was in pain.

"Wizardmon, we found a Digivice in the woods," said Patamon, trying to change the subject. "We took it to the registry office, but the clerk said it belonged to Takeru."

"Interesting," said Wizardmon. "May I see it?" Nodding, Takeru pulled it out of his pocket. Wizardmon held it and closed his eyes briefly. "Someone is looking out for you Takeru," he pronounced. "This radiates the aura of your mother's Elecmon. I guess the rumors are true that after her passing, he retreated to the Primary Village, where digi-eggs appear and often hatch. Other than the registry office, only Primary Village has the ability to bond Digivices with their owners."

"Mother's Elecmon. . . . I would like to meet him some day and thank him," said Takeru softly.

There was silence for a moment as Wizardmon gathered his thoughts. "Takeru, I'm very glad you and Patamon decided to come by today. I wanted to ask your help."

"My help?" replied Takeru, shaking himself out of his thoughts.

"As I'm certain you've heard, Princess Sora, the fiancée of Prince Taichi, is coming to visit her betrothed in 3 months," explained Wizardmon.

"Yes, I've heard the earl planning. He and Yamato have been invited to the palace. All of the nobility has, to introduce the princess to our country. They're supposed to go on a tour of the country afterwards. The earl is trying to convince the king to have them visit our town," said Takeru.

"Which will probably happen, since Yamato is supposedly one of Prince Taichi's closest friends," added Patamon.

"All of us have been making plans for while the earl is away," said Takeru.

"And have you made your plans?" asked Wizardmon.

"I was going to do things to try and earn some money," admitted Takeru. "In 6 months I will be of age, legally able to leave the earl. . . . able to leave my father. Patamon and I have been saving every coin we earn, so that we will have enough money to be comfortable when we leave."

"Then I have a proposition for the two of you," said Wizardmon. Takeru and Patamon stared at him. "The king has asked me to come and perform before the court," explained Wizardmon. "However, for some of my grander spells, I need an assistant. The king becomes rather uncomfortable when I use nobles as volunteers, and, from experience, most servants and Digimon just do not work well. I would like the two of you to be my assistants for my performances."

"Us?" asked Patamon.

"We're honored, sir, but the earl. . . . " began Takeru.

"The earl wouldn't know it was you. Your comrades at the manor would never report you gone, if they knew you were with me. The two of you would be right under the earl and Yamato's noses and they wouldn't have a clue."

"I don't know," Takeru hesitated.

"It would be a paid position of course," said Wizardmon. "It would also be considerably more comfortable and enjoyable than doing some sort of manual labor."

"And we won't get in trouble with the earl?" asked Takeru.

"Absolutely not," said Wizardmon.

"I say we go for it," stated Patamon. "I'd love to be right there and Gabumon and Gazimon don't even know it's me."

"All right," said Takeru.

- -

"Princess, are you all right?" asked Sir Ken. More and more often he noticed Princess Hikari was staring out into space instead of paying attention to her lessons.

"I'm sorry Sir Ken," apologized the princess. "I just have a lot on my mind." She let out a deep sigh. "Is it possible to be surrounded by people and still be incredibly lonely."

"Yes, it's possible," replied Ken. "Why do you ask?"

"Because that's how I've been feeling lately," admitted Hikari. "I mean, Miyako would rather be with you, Mimi would rather be with either Koushirou or Jyou, Taichi's always thinking about Princess Sora. . . . and I'm stuck with Daisuke."

"You don't like Lord Daisuke?"

"He's too much like my brother."

Ken chuckled. "I can see where that would be a problem. What about Gatomon?"

"She doesn't quite understand. It's not the kind of loneliness where you have no one around. It's the kind where you want to be with that one special person. I know Taichi feels it to some degree being away from Princess Sora, but at least he'll be with her soon. And next year they'll be married. But I still haven't found that person yet. Do I make any sense?"

"Perfect sense," replied Ken to Hikari's surprise. "Before I met Lady Miyako," he explained, "I often felt lost and alone, despite having Wormmon. When my services were requested at the palace as a tutor, I never expected to meet someone like Miyako, let alone fall in love with her. . . ." Ken hesitated briefly. "Sometimes I am still unsure as to where our relationship will go. I don't know if it will last another week, or the rest of our lives. But even if it lasts only a day, I am still glad of the experience."

With a sigh, Hikari looked out the window, wondering if she would even have a few moments respite from her loneliness.

<To Be Continued>