Digimon Fan Fiction ❯ An Absence of Light ❯ Kerpymon Attacks! ( Chapter 8 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Chapter 8: Kerpymon Attacks!
 
 
Guilmon knew something was bothering his Tamer, and it wasn't the injured arm this time.
 
Ever since the previous night, when Alice had found her Digimon partner, Takato had been distant. At first Guilmon had been worried that Takato might be jealous. But then he realized that the boy was worried.
 
He held off asking until the afternoon, when they stopped near a river to rest.
 
“What's wrong, Takatomon?”
 
Takato sighed. “Guilmon, you know how there are good Digimon and bad Digimon?”
 
Guilmon nodded.
 
“It's just…I always thought Devidramon were bad Digimon. I mean, they're Evil Dragons. How can they be good? How can this one be Alice's partner?”
 
Guilmon had been wondering about that himself, at first. But as soon as he'd seen how happy Alice was to have her own Digimon, he hadn't questioned it. “If he fights for her, the way I do for you, does it matter?”
 
“…I guess not.” Takato reached out and rubbed Guilmon's head. “Thanks, boy.”
 
Nearby, Renamon couldn't help but overhear the conversation. She had also been slightly worried about Devidramon being trustworthy. She had never encountered a Tamer with an evil Digimon, and she wasn't sure they could be Tamed in the first place. Somehow, though, she couldn't bring herself to tell Alice that.
Nor could she argue with the facts. The D-Arc had tracked the dragon, and he had known Alice on sight and by name. There was no other explanation; Devidramon belonged to Alice now.
 
Renamon risked a glance at Alice, who had gone to the river for a drink of water.
 
Alice carefully cupped her hands in the water and raised them to her mouth. As she began to drink the cool liquid, she had an epiphany. “I'm a Tamer now. I have a Digimon to take care of.” She looked down at Pico, who she had removed from her shoulder so he wouldn't fall off as she bent over. He still seemed to be asleep, and had been since last night. She was beginning to wonder if he was really that tired, or if he was just taking it easy since there had been no surprise encounters lately. Well, either way, she wasn't about to let him skip meals.
 
She reached down and placed her hand on his head, shaking him gently. “Pico?”
 
His round, yellow eyes snapped open at once. “Alice needs something?” he asked, looking up at her.
 
Alice smiled. “Yes. Alice needs you to drink.” She dipped her hands into the water again and held them near his face. “Go on. It's good for you.”
 
Without hesitation, Pico stepped forward and began to drink from her hands.
 
She had honestly expected him to sniff the water first, make sure it was pure or something. It was then that she realized why he hadn't: Pico trusted her completely. She was his Tamer, and he would probably never question anything she did. With Guilmon and Renamon, they had their own distinct personalities. Pico never even woke up unless she wanted him to. In many ways, she felt like a mother with a newborn baby.
 
“Alice has more water?” Pico asked suddenly.
 
“Huh? Oh, sure. You can have all you want.” When he didn't move, she realized he was waiting on her, and dipped her hands into the river. “Pico, if you're ever thirsty, you don't always have to ask me first.”
 
“Will not drink what Alice has not blessed,” Pico replied as he lowered his head to drink.
 
Alice blinked a few times. “`Blessed?'” she whispered in confusion.
 
* * * * *
 
“Awaken, little one. There is much to be done.”
 
He slowly opened his eyes and gasped.
 
The Great Dragon Who Reigns stood above him, cloaked in shadow.
 
“Rise, my child. I have a task for you.”
 
The Digimon rose to his feet. “I am yours to command, Oh Great Dragon.” He bowed his head respectfully.
 
“This is my will: grow stronger, child. None must exceed you in power. You have been chosen to preserve the great and terrible glory of all dragons. You will bring about the downfall of the Grand Defiler.”
 
“Is such a thing really possible?” the Digimon asked in shock.
 
“Anything is possible, so long as we will it enough. But this is fate, child. You have been chosen.” The Great Dragon leaned forward and stretched out his arm.
 
The Digimon reached out as well, wonder in his eyes.
 
“Are you okay, Pepper?”
 
That was NOT the voice of the Great Dragon. The Digimon blinked a few times, and realized it had all been a dream.
 
“Pepper? Did you have a bad dream?”
 
A soft, warm hand came to rest on his head. His vision cleared, and he could see the human girl who had taken him in staring at him with concern. Then she smiled and drew him into her arms.
 
“Don't be scared,” she whispered, resting her chin on his head. “Mommy's right here…”
 
He could not explain it, but there was the oddest sensation whenever she touched him. It was unlike anything he had ever experienced before. He was not quite sure if the Great Dragon would approve. The feeling did not make him feel stronger, nor weaker. It just made him…feel. He suspected he was even starting to like it, if only a little bit. Within seconds, he had fallen asleep again.
 
* * * * *
 
Now that Alice had her own Digimon, Renamon thought it best to try and find Qinglongmon. Though they had managed to avoid any encounters with dragons so far, venturing into the Holy Dragon's land would surely bring that luck to a halt.
 
“It will be very dangerous,” Renamon admitted. “But if any Digimon could control so many dragons at once, it would be Qinglongmon. Even if he is not directly responsible for the increase, he should be able to do something about it.”
 
“But…are you sure that's a good idea?” Takato asked, lowering his voice and glancing at Alice. She had wandered off a little ways with Pico (she'd been doing that a lot lately) and was watching the sunset.
 
“You're worried about Pico being able to protect her?” Renamon guessed.
 
Takato nodded. “He hasn't tried to evolve once since we found him, and he's not even awake unless we stop to eat. I'm beginning to wonder how bad you hurt him.”
 
Renamon frowned. “Believe me, whatever damage I did to him has healed by now. Maybe he's conserving his power, or maybe he's being lazy. But I'm concerned about Alice's safety as well. We'd be very limited in a fight.”
 
“I know what you mean. We'd have to take turns protecting Alice. Guilmon, could you…Guilmon?” Takato turned to see that Guilmon had wandered over to Alice, and was growling steadily at something.
 
“Takato…I smell dragons,” the red Reptile reported, his eyes narrowing as they searched the sky.
 
“Already?” Takato asked.
 
“They're not from Qinglongmon's lands, but they've been following us.” Renamon stepped forward and paused, a grimace coming over her face. “Wonderful. Devidramon. Lots of them.”
 
Even as she said it, the group of Evil Dragons came into view, a rapidly moving series of black shapes overhead.
 
Takato couldn't help looking at Pico, who was, surprisingly, wide awake.
 
“Brothers…will not hurt friends,” Pico stated. “They flee…from a great threat.”
 
“What kind of threat, exactly?” Renamon demanded.
 
Pico closed his eyes. “One who is not meant to be…what he has become.”
 
Takato met Renamon's gaze. “You don't think he means…?”
 
Renamon didn't have a chance to answer as the sky suddenly darkened, and several shrieks of pain floated down to them.
 
“No…he is upon them…” Pico whispered in horror.
 
“Do you…want to go help them, Pico?” Alice asked.
 
A pained look entered the Digimon's eyes as he turned to her and answered solemnly, “Must not leave Alice. Alice would not be safe.”
 
“But…if you wanted to help, I wouldn't stop you. They're your family…”
 
“Cannot leave Alice,” Pico insisted, closing his eyes again. “Will not leave Alice open to harm.”
 
“Pico…it's okay, really.” Alice tried her best to smile, despite the situation. “I'll be fine. Renamon and Guilmon will keep me safe while you're gone.”
 
But Pico had obviously made up his mind, and was no longer answering her.
 
There was another set of cries from above, and this time, countless small bodies could be seen falling from the sky.
 
“They've been knocked back to their Child forms,” Renamon murmured in awe. “So powerful…”
 
Before any of the Pico Devimon could hit the ground, black lightning rained down and struck them all, cruelly deleting them on contact.
 
Alice blinked back tears and held Pico tightly to her chest. “What could be that strong…?”
 
“You won't like the answer,” Renamon replied. “Takato…it's him.”
 
A huge, dark shape emerged from the clouds, floating to the ground almost casually. Bright yellow eyes glowed with menace as their gaze landed on the Tamers.
 
“That…can't be Lopmon. It can't,” Takato whispered in disbelief.
 
“Try your best to keep that in mind once he attacks,” Renamon said. “It's the only hope we have of surviving.”
 
“But…you can stop him…right?” Alice asked.
 
Renamon took her time in answering. “The best I can do for now is Taomon. If Takato dared to summon Dukemon, he wouldn't be 100% because of his arm. A Perfection level and a wounded Ultimate don't stand a chance against what Lopmon has become.”
 
“We can't fight him,” Takato whispered. “I mean…it's still Lopmon in there…”
 
“If we don't fight,” Renamon said firmly, “he will kill us all. If we do fight, we can at least hope to prolong that fate…if only for a few minutes.”
 
“But…Shuichon,” Takato began.
 
“Takato. We will never see her or the other Tamers again if we don't win this fight. If you won't help me, at least have Growmon stand in the way when Kerpymon tries to hurt you and Alice.” With that, Renamon drew on her stores of strength and evolved straight to Perfection level.
 
Taomon gazed down at them one last time before heading out to face Kerpymon. As tall as she was, the height difference between them was enormous, and Takato knew in his heart that she wouldn't stand a chance alone.
 
“Guilmon…you have to go help her. I know it's Lopmon, but…try not to think about it.”
 
Guilmon nodded. “Don't worry. We'll stop him.”
 
“Okay. Let's go-”
 
“No, Takato,” Guilmon interrupted with a frown. “WE will stop him. You stay here with Alice.”
 
“But…you heard what Renamon said!”
 
“We won't call Dukemon unless there is no other way.”
 
Takato sighed. “Okay. Go get him, boy.” He held up a blue card, even as Guilmon ran to join Renamon. “Matrix Digivolution, Activate!”
 
Megalo Growmon roared as he touched down beside Taomon.
 
Kerpymon stared at them for a moment longer. Then, with a wicked smile, he began to approach.
 
“Don't force this fight, Lopmon,” Taomon said softly but firmly.
 
“You would do well to refer to me by my true name, Taomon,” Kerpymon replied coldly in a gravelly voice that seemed impossible for anything that had once been Lopmon. “I am as far beyond Lopmon as you are a normal fox. Farther, even.”
 
“We don't want to hurt you!” Megalo Growmon growled.
 
Kerpymon smiled a smile full of malice. “Don't worry. You won't.” He kept advancing.
 
Taomon took a step back. “I am warning you one last time, Kerpymon. Don't force this fight.”
 
“But when one side is hopelessly overwhelmed, it's not a fight,” Kerpymon pointed out. His yellow eyes flashed dangerously. “It's a massacre.”
 
* * * * *
 
Jenrya did not get that many phone calls anymore, so he was a bit surprised when one of the monks told him there was a long-distance call for him. He was even more surprised to learn that the caller was Akiyama Ryo.
 
“Hello?” Jenrya asked in mild disbelief as he lifted the receiver to his mouth.
 
“Lee-kun. I hear you're training to become a monk. How's that working out for you? Well, I hope.”
 
Jenrya blinked. He didn't know Ryo all that well, but he could never remember the Tamer sounding so familiar and formal at once. It was odd…unsettling, even. “Fine. Did you call just to ask me that?”
 
“No, of course not,” Ryo chuckled.
 
Jenrya couldn't help thinking that chuckle was inappropriate. “Then why…?”
 
“I don't know if Takato or Ruki informed you, but there have been a lot of…attacks here, recently.”
 
“Ruki mentioned some Digimon appearing, yes.”
 
“Ah, of course. She's always so capable, so…on top of things.”
 
For some reason that he couldn't identify, Jenrya did not like that phrasing. “You were saying?”
 
“I thought I might go over and check on the others, see if they need any help. Monodramon's been taking on some of Cyber Dramon's more…delightful personality traits, if you catch my drift, and he could use some exercise.”
 
Jenrya's first instinct was to tell Ryo to stay exactly where he was…but then, for all he knew, Ryo could be standing in Shuichon's room at that very moment. That image was a decidedly unwelcome one, and he forced it out of his mind at once. “Ah…but as you said, I'm sure Ruki has things under control.”
 
“Well, I thought I would check with you. After all, with Guilmon and Renamon still in the Digital World, that just leaves…Impmon to protect Ruki, Juri, and Shuichon, doesn't it?”
 
He thought about saying that Culumon was there as well, but decided against it. “I suppose they could use some help,” Jenrya admitted after a moment.
 
“Not to worry you, of course, Lee-kun,” Ryo said at once. “I'd only pop in to make sure they were okay, then pop back out. I'm sure everything is, as you said, just fine.” He paused. “I could even tell Shuichon I'd spoken to you. That you were thinking of her?”
 
Jenrya opened his mouth, and then closed it. He HAD been thinking of Shuichon at that exact moment, but how Ryo could know that was beyond him. Perhaps he had only guessed…perhaps not. But he was suddenly not opposed to anything that got Ryo off the phone faster. “If you really think it's necessary, Ryo. I have to go.” He hung up before Ryo could get another word out. Then, with a speed he hadn't known he'd possessed, Jenrya dialed the number for Ruki's cell phone. If he couldn't be there to stop Ryo, he wanted to be sure that Ruki knew in advance to be wary of him.
 
Meanwhile, in his bedroom, Ryo smiled and put his phone back in its cradle. “Monodramon. It's time.”
 
The small, purple dragon stood up, a dazed look in his eyes. Silently, he padded over to Ryo's side.
 
Ryo stood up and pulled on a jacket. He paused as he reached the mirror, and then turned to gaze into it.
He had only been looking for a few seconds when what seemed to be black fire erupted from his eyes and scorched the mirror.
 
With a smile on his face, Ryo headed for the door, his eyes still trailing dark energy. “Time to go visit our friends.”
 
* * * * *
 
“Atomic Blaster!!!” Megalo Growmon cried, unleashing a huge beam of crimson energy from his chest.
 
Kerpymon made no move to block or dodge as the attack bore down on him. But then, by that point, no one expected him to any longer.
 
The very ground shook as the beam hit, and even though the entire area was soon covered in rolling dust clouds, everyone present knew what the end result would be, no matter how much they wished it otherwise. Taomon had even stopped throwing up temporary shields during the explosions. Kerpymon had yet to attack, so there was really no point in keeping her vision from being obscured. She had a sinking feeling that when he did attack, he would make no attempt to hide it.
 
Megalo Growman gasped for air, visibly drained as the dust clouds moved past him. “That's….five,” he gasped. “Has to…be hurt…this time…”
 
Taomon did not share his confidence. “Look,” she said simply.
 
Kerpymon was soon revealed, unmoved, unconcerned, and most importantly, unharmed. “Oh, Guilmon,” he sighed in his rumbling voice, shaking his head. “Now, you've begun to bore me. That is simply unforgivable.”
 
“You'll get my name right before I'm done with you!” Megalo Growmon snarled as the Cherubim Digimon slowly floated towards them.
 
Several feet behind the Tamed Digimon, Takato raised his voice. “He's too strong! Let me help you!”
 
“Not yet!” Megalo Growmon charged his immense opponent, a war cry erupting from his mouth.
 
Kerpymon stopped. Slowly, he raised one incredibly long arm and extended a single finger. Black electricity danced on his fingertip, and a cruel grin spread across his face. “Stop.”
 
And Megalo Growmon did stop, not because Kerpymon ordered him to, but because the black lightning, in an instant, had crossed the distance between them and seized the Cyborg Digimon, paralyzing every muscle in his body.
 
Taoman raised her brush, ready to utter a spell that would release her ally, but a look from Kerpymon stopped her. He could just as easily do the same to her, and then they would be lost. Best to save her energy for one final attack than to waste it now. Anyway, if it came down to that, she could give the Tamers a head start before Kerpymon pursued them as well.
 
Chuckling loudly, Kerpymon raised a hand, forming a long, black lightning bolt in his thick fingers. “Now, you really will be Guilmon.” His arm surged forward and threw the bolt straight at Megalo Growmon.
 
The battle dragon howled in intense pain as the bolt struck him, the impact tossing him off his feet. His body began to shrink in on itself in midair, and by the time he crashed to the ground, he was indeed Guilmon again.
 
Takato stared at his fallen friend in shock, unable to move. He was finally beginning to realize how powerful Kerpymon was, and how hopeless the battle had been from the start.
 
“Pathetic,” Kerpymon spat. Then he turned his evil gaze on Taomon. “It's your turn, my dear. Do to try to scream, if you can manage it.”
 
At Takato's side, Alice watched as Kerpymon began to toss lightning at Taomon almost carelessly. All of them were knocked away by her hastily constructed shields, but it was clear that each hit was still taking its toll on Taomon, as she recoiled and cried out at every shot.
 
Pico watched as well, his gaze never wavering from Taomon's defiance and bravery. Finally, he turned in his Tamer's arms and stared up at her pale face, which was streaked with silent tears.
 
Sensing the movement, Alice blinked and looked down at her Digimon.
 
“Alice…wishes to fight?” he asked after a moment.
 
Though they had barely been together two whole days, Alice understood that he was asking if she wanted him to fight. For some reason, he always found a way to avoid referring directly to himself. She wasn't sure if he was doing it on purpose, or if he just refused to acknowledge his own existence, outside of being her partner.
 
“Yes,” she whispered, even as she clutched him tighter to her chest.
 
“Alice…wishes to delete?” His yellow eyes studied her expression carefully.
 
She bit her lip, hating to have to answer such a thing, but glad he'd asked first. “No. Just…stop him from hurting our friends.”
 
Pico did not move.
 
“Wait…maybe…” Alice shook her head. “Do whatever you have to in order to stop him. But…try not to delete him…for me.” She squeezed Pico tighter. “Understand?”
 
The Small Demon nodded as he carefully extracted himself from her grasp. “Alice must promise to stay back,” he stated, hovering directly before her face.
 
She nodded at once. “I promise. Go. Hurry!”
 
Pico turned and launched himself through the air, making a beeline for Kerpymon.
 
For some reason, that got Takato's attention. “Alice, what's he doing?!”
 
“What he has to,” Alice replied softly, though she looked very worried herself.
 
Kerpymon paused in his attacking Taomon when he noticed Pico a few feet away. He chuckled deeply and smiled a terrible smile. “And what will you do, little one?”
 
Pico's answer was a particularly swift flap of his small wings, which sent out several flying projectiles that flashed in the fading sunlight.
 
Kerpymon easily blocked the attack with a finger. “You'll have to do much better than that.” He drew the finger back into his fist, and then snapped it forward, flicking Pico away. The gesture seemed almost half-hearted, but Pico slammed into the ground with jarring force.
 
Alice barely stifled a concerned cry when her Digimon didn't move. “No…Pico, please be okay…”
 
Taomon suddenly rushed forward, spells forgotten as she swung her brush with enough force to take Kerpymon's head off. The only problem was that despite his huge size, he easily evaded her swings.
 
“Time to end the dance, my dear.” Kerpymon raised his hand.
 
Taomon tensed up, anticipating the attack.
 
Kerpymon grinned wickedly. “Lightning Spear!”
 
Taomon waited for the attack, but it never hit. She was just about to risk a glance behind her when a horrified scream tore through the air.
 
“PICO!!!”
 
Taomon spun around, only to see that the bat-like Digimon's small form still crackling with black electricity as he barely managed to stay airborne. “No,” she whispered in shock as he finally dropped into her waiting paw. “Why would you…?”
 
Pico slowly opened his eyes. “Alice…told…protect friends…” Then he fainted.
 
Taomon shuddered with rage as she turned back to Kerpymon. “You will pay dearly for this,” she swore.
 
Not surprisingly, Kerpymon didn't seem worried. “So your little friend wants to play Lightning Rod, does he?” His great yellow eyes narrowed. “Well, now you can all play…”
 
“Takato, take them and run!” Taomon shouted, throwing Pico toward Alice.
 
Kerpymon howled with laughter as he raised his hands to the sky. “Too late! There is no escape! HEAVEN'S JUDGMENT!!!”
 
Thunder rumbled overhead, and the black clouds flashed ominously.
 
Even as Takato dragged Guilmon to his feet and pulled Alice along with him, he knew they would never make it.
 
Black lightning bolts tore from the clouds an instant later, all of them aimed straight at the Tamers.
 
Taomon threw herself directly in the lightning's path, but it did no good. One bolt destroyed her hastily prepared shield, and another hit her head-on. She did not even have the strength to cry out as she fell to the ground, reverting back to Renamon in a matter of seconds.
 
When he saw her fall, Takato lost all hope of ever seeing his friends again. All he could think of was the pained look on Juri's face back when Beelzebumon had deleted Leomon. For him, reason gave way to brave stupidity, and he stepped in front of Alice in a last attempt to protect her. He expected her to protest, or to at least call him crazy.
 
Instead, Alice wrapped her arms around Takato and held him close. She suddenly realized why she was able to do so, and looked around desperately for Pico. Just before she could call his name, she looked and saw him hovering brokenly just above their heads.
 
Pico was staring at her with the strangest look on her face, as if he just discovered something important. “Alice keep promise,” he said.
 
“Pico…what are you…?” Then she knew what he was planning. “No! I won't let you! NO!”
 
“Alice keep promise,” Pico repeated as he turned and flew towards the oncoming lightning.
 
“PICO, YOU GET BACK HERE RIGHT NOW!!!” Alice screamed in desperation.
 
But he ignored her and continued to fly up…until he was struck by the closest bolt of lightning.
 
Alice pressed her face into Takato's shoulder, unable to watch any longer.
 
Takato, however, could not look away. Something just wouldn't let him.
 
Neither of them noticed Alice's black D-Arc glowing an angry red, even as a single word flashed across the small display screen:
 
Digivolution.
 
* * * * *
 
Next Chapter: Pico evolves, Ryo outreaches, and Lopmon unlocks.