Digimon Fan Fiction ❯ An Absence of Light ❯ Healthy & Wise ( Chapter 12 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Notes: If you're having trouble picturing any Digimon mentioned, a Google image search is a good place to start. Just try searching for the Digimon's name (add the actual word "Digimon" if that doesn't work). If you still can't find a pic, let me know and I'll try to help.
 
 
Chapter 12: Healthy & Wise
 
 
Jenrya wasn't aware that he'd fallen asleep until Rapidmon suddenly came to a stop, the slight jerk rousing him. "What's wrong? Why'd you stop?"
 
"Jen-kun, I think we got a problem."
 
"What kind of problem?"
 
"There's a kid down there waving at us."
 
"And?"
 
"And HE'S got a Terriermon, too. And a Lopmon."
 
Jenrya rubbed the sleep from his eyes and peered over Rapidmon's wing. Sure enough, he could make out three figures below them in a large field, two of which looked very familiar. "Must be a Tamer. We'd better see what he wants. He might know something about Shuichon. Or maybe he knows Ruki."
 
It wasn't impossible; Ruki had been to (and won) quite a few Digimon tournaments, although Jenrya doubted that most people who attended them were actually Tamers themselves.
 
"Okay," Rapidmon said as he began to set them down. "But I got a bad feeling about this, Jen-kun."
 
Jenrya patted his partner's shoulder reassuringly. "It won't take long. I'll let him know we're in a hurry."
 
The boy stepped forward as they touched down. He had blonde hair and a very disarming smile. "Thanks for stopping, Lee-san," he said, bowing slightly before extending his hand.
 
Jenrya blinked as he shook hands. "You know me?" He couldn't help noticing the way the boy's Terriermon draped its ears around his shoulders, exactly the way Jenrya's Terriermon would have. He also noticed that the Lopmon stood a good distance away from its Tamer, watching them with an odd look on its face. Almost as if it were jealous.
 
The boy smiled wider. "I make it a point to know about people who save the world repeatedly. I saw you and your friends beat the Reaper. My name is Wallace, by the way."
 
"Listen, no offense, Wallace, but Rapidmon and I are really in a hurry, and-"
 
"I know. You're worried about your little sister."
 
Jenrya's face went blank. "How did you-"
 
"Don't worry about her right now," Wallace said, his smile growing unnaturally wide as he continued to squeeze Jenrya's hand. "I promise she'll be the last thing on your mind when we're done."
 
"Jen-kun," Rapidmon said, concern in his voice. "We should go."
 
"I can't allow that," Wallace said softly. "Welcome to the first of three trials, Lee Jenrya."
 
"Trials? What are you-" Jenrya's question was cut off as Terriermon's ears suddenly snapped up, wrapped around his head, and slammed his face into Wallace's fist. Jenrya stumbled backwards, blood pouring from his nose as he tripped and fell.
 
"JEN-KUN!" Rapidmon roared as he darted forward, only to have his arms yanked brutally behind his head by two powerful, hairy arms easily twice the size of his own.
 
"Make sure he doesn't interfere, Wendimon," Wallace instructed with a grim smile. "This trial is for his Tamer, not him."
 
"Why are you doing this?!" Jenrya shouted, wiping at his nose angrily.
 
"I've always appreciated that you don't like making your Terriermon fight. But I don't think you can fully appreciate his defending you until you're forced to do his job for once."
 
Wallace's meaning sunk in as his Terriermon leaped to the ground and began to grow both upward and outward, until he was a growling, gun-toting Galgomon.
 
"You're insane," Jenrya whispered in horror.
 
Wallace chuckled. "Maybe. But I promise the pain you're about to experience is quite real."
 
* * * * *
 
Since her house was bigger than Juri's (and hadn't been demolished like Takato's and Shuichon's), Ruki decided they should regroup there. No one offered any real protest (Shuichon preferred Juri's because she was getting thirsty, but Juri promised she could make tea at Ruki's just as easily as she could at home).
 
Shuichon's parents hadn't said much at all. Janyuu had offered to carry the wounded Impmon, but his wife was still a bit edgy around Pepper. Ruki couldn't blame her; apparently Shuichon had instructed him to protect her mother, and now Pepper was following her everywhere like some sort of small but determined guard dog. Anyone other than Shuichon that got near her was promptly snapped at. This didn't exactly help, as she kept trying to hide behind her husband, who, after two minutes of dodging, insisted that he hadn't really cared for that particular pair of pants, anyway.
 
The two winged strangers flew overhead, searching for any signs of Ryo or evil Digimon. Ruki had accepted they were good, once her D-Arc had identified them as Valkyrimon. And after running through evolution lines in her head, she'd decided that there was a reason those two seemed so familiar. But if they wanted to remain unknown for now, she could keep her mouth shut.
 
That, however, proved to be unnecessary.
 
Just before they could set foot in Ruki's front yard, someone else emerged, his mouth stuffed.
 
"Kazu-kun?" Juri asked slowly.
 
Hirokazu looked up in slight surprise and swallowed noisily. "Hey, guys. Ruki, did you know your grandma makes the BEST oatmeal-"
 
"What are you doing in my house?" Ruki snapped.
 
"Oh, that. When Alice didn't come home last night, her parents started calling around. I remembered Takato had been hanging out with her, so I went to his place, but it looks like a bomb went off in it. So I figured, 'Ruki will know what's up,' and I came over here. And your grandma told me I might as well stay, especially when this freaky portal opened up in your room-"
 
"Portal?" Juri asked.
 
"And WHAT were you doing in my ROOM?!" Ruki shouted.
 
Kazu rolled his eyes. "Next thing I know, Guardromon comes through the portal and tells me he has to get downtown. He takes one step and then turns into this guy." Kazu threw an odd but awed look at his Valkyrimon, which had landed next to him while he was speaking. "Isn't he cool?"
 
"So why didn't you come with him?" Juri asked.
 
"He said it would be way too dangerous and that I might get hurt. That, and Ruki's grandma had just pulled a fresh batch of cookies out of the oven..." He paused, finally noticing Panjamon. "Hey, Juri, you got Leomon back! That's great! Um...is it me, or has he had a few birthdays since I last saw him?"
 
Juri opened her mouth, but Panjamon cut her off. "Much has changed within me. But I am still essentially Leomon."
 
"Cool. Well, come on in, you guys," Kazu said, noticing that Ruki still looked pretty steamed. "I left enough cookies left for everyone, I think."
 
Juri stayed outside the gate as the others went in, noticing that Panjamon hung back as well. "I thought you said you weren't Leomon anymore?"
 
Panjamon shook his head. "I have some of his memories, which makes me think I was him, once. But I do not think I will ever truly be him again. I do not think I can even de-evolve anymore. But you seemed so happy when you thought I was Leomon, so I thought-"
 
Juri cut him off by throwing her arms around him and pressing her face into his chest. "If you are Leomon, that's great. If you're not, that's fine, too. I'll just have to learn to appreciate you for who you are, and not who you might've been. I'm just glad you're here, and that I've been given a second chance as a Tamer."
 
Panjamon said nothing, but he did raise his paw and carefully stroke her hair. He could not decide if it was something he'd remembered would feel natural, or merely something he'd suspected he would enjoy. In the end, it was both, so he decided it didn't matter.
 
* * * * *
 
"So no one's ever heard of this Sagemon?" Alice asked softly.
 
"It might be because we travel in different circles," Renamon suggested, "but I'm starting to think he might not exist. I certainly don't recall Ruki mentioning anyone by that name."
 
"It could be a trap," Takato muttered, keeping his eye on their two guides. "No offense, Pico, but it's hard to trust anyone with Devimon in their name."
 
"But can't we take the risk, especially if they really do know where a portal is?" Alice asked. "You said even Guilmon can't open portals, and he's the strongest Digimon we have, right?"
 
"Someone who could open a portal doesn't necessarily have to be strong," Renamon pointed out. "A Digimon might have the ability in addition to or in spite of his own natural power."
 
"Yeah, just look at Culumon," Guilmon added. "I wonder what he's up to now?"
 
"With any luck, helping Impmon protect the girls," Takato replied. "You still can't get in touch with Ruki, Renamon?"
 
"No," Renamon sighed. "I'd ask for one of your DigiCores, but I doubt I'm meant to have one just now."
 
Guilmon made a loud retching noise, but other than grossing everyone else out, he made no progress. "Sorry. Maybe I can try again a little later?"
 
"Much later," Alice said firmly. She glanced down at the DigiEgg in her arms, giving it a little pat. "Maybe my new Digimon will be able to open portals?"
 
"I suppose anything's possible, if you want it enough," Renamon said after a moment, though she looked doubtful. "This is the Digital World, after all. And Pico has shown a certain disregard for the norm. We can only hope the child takes after him."
 
* * * * *
 
Kazu's Valkyrimon had reverted to Guardromon once he was sure everyone was settled in safely, but the other kept his current form, for some unknown reason. Of all the Tamers, Shuichon found this a bit suspicious. Ruki was basically indifferent (she was still preoccupied with Kazu being in her house), and Juri wouldn't have dreamed of questioning them, since they'd given her Panjamon. Impmon was a little edgy around them, as expected. Janyuu found them fascinating, and his wife, quite predictably, retreated into the kitchen and declared it a monster-free zone. Everyone was nice enough to not point out that Pepper was still following at her heels.
 
The remaining Valkyrimon, perhaps aware of Shuichon's scrutiny, went out into the yard to sit by the fountain. It wasn't long before Shuichon followed him outside, with Culumon on her head.
 
"Who are you?" she asked. "How come I feel like I know you?"
 
"Because you do, Shuichon," he said simply.
 
She frowned. "But I've never met an angel before..."
 
He smiled down at her. "I am no angel. Merely a guardian. Your guardian."
 
There was something in his smile that made Shuichon feel...safe. "But I already have one. Don't Digimon have to check with each other before they take someone's partner?"
 
He stretched out his hand to her. "How would you like to fly like an angel?"
 
Without knowing exactly why, Shuichon placed her small hand in his. "Not too fast. Kaa-san says I get carsick."
 
"No sudden stops, I promise."
 
* * * * *
 
Rapidmon tried once again to free himself from Wendimon's grip, but the huge, hairy Digimon only squeezed his arms tighter.
 
It had been an endless hour since Jenrya stumbled off into the darkness, followed at a leisurely pace by Wallace and his Gargomon. The silence that followed was worse than any sounds of violence might've been. Rapidmon had no idea what was happening to his partner, but he knew it was nothing good. If this Wendimon, who was supposed to be a whole level below him, was strong enough to restrain him for so long, there was no telling what the Galgomon could be doing to Jenrya. The waiting was getting to be too much.
 
With no warning, Rapidmon suddenly shrank into Terriermon, and then shot back up to Galgomon.
 
"Dum Dum Upper!" he shouted, twisting around and catching Wendimon off guard with a vicious uppercut. He had already opened fire by the time Wendimon recovered, and sent the hairy beast crashing to the ground.
 
Then he was Rapidmon again, soaring into the night as fast as he could. Not incapacitating Wendimon further was probably a mistake, but he was too worried about Jenrya to waste anymore time.
 
There was a flash of light behind him, and suddenly Rapidmon found Antiramon running alongside him.
 
"Running will do you no good!" Antiramon shouted. "I'm faster and you know it!"
 
Rapidmon stopped shorted and twisted around, flinging out his arm in time to catch Antiramon square across the jaw. There was a sickening crack, and the oversized rabbit flopped lifelessly to the ground. "Too fast to stop, too," Rapidmon muttered before taking off again. "Hang on, Jen-kun, I'm coming!"
 
But only seconds later, Antiramon was up again, his eyes glowing malevolently in the darkness.
 
* * * * *
 
"There," Black Tailmon said, pointing to the shoreline. "Sagemon waits down there."
 
The others crowded around her, hoping to catch their first glimpse of the mysterious Digimon. All they found, however, was a beach covered in pink sand, and a huge statue of a Digimon.
 
"I think you're mistaken. That Digimon hasn't moved in centuries," Renamon pointed out.
 
"You mean...you've seen this Sagemon before?" Takato asked.
 
"No. But it wouldn't matter, because that isn't Sagemon. It's Vikemon, if the legends I've heard are true. He sealed himself in stone, so that he could watch over the sea until he was next needed to protect it. That was ages ago, but he was rumored to have the ability to warp space and time."
 
"So...if we wake him up, he might be able to open a portal?" Alice guessed.
 
"That's just it; no one can wake him up. Only Vikemon can decide when he's needed. Unfortunately, the sea doesn't look like it's in any danger."
 
"What if we...I don't know...blow it up somehow?"
 
Renamon sighed. "Then he would probably attack us."
 
"You don't need to worry about that," Wizarmon said. "Here comes Sagemon now. He will help you."
 
Takato wasn't sure what he was expecting, but it was nothing like what he got as a boy stepped out from the long shadow of the statue. Even more surprising was the fact that he knew the boy. "Kenta!"
 
"Actually, I've been going by another name lately," Kenta replied as he walked up to them. "But I'm glad to see you're all still in one piece."
 
Black Tailmon curled her tail around Kenta's legs. "They were right where you said they'd be, Sagemon. We brought them straight to you."
 
Kenta bent down and stroked her head. "Thank you, Black Tailmon. I knew you wouldn't let me down."
 
"Wait, YOU'RE Sagemon?!" Takato asked in disbelief.
 
"It's just something they call me," Kenta replied, looking a little embarrassed.
 
"But why? You don't even look like a Digimon," Alice said.
 
"Well...you guys know what a DigiCore is, right?"
 
"We do now," Alice replied, shooting Takato a look as he ducked his head.
 
"It's basically the heart of every Digimon. It's what makes them Digimon, really. So...I, um, have one."
 
"Say what?" Takato asked.
 
Sighing, Kenta pulled up his shirt, revealing a fiery red sphere lodged in the center of his chest.
 
"Does it hurt?" Alice whispered.
 
"It did going in. Now, I barely even notice it. But all the Digimon seem to."
 
"How did you get it?"
 
Kenta pulled his shirt down rather quickly. "Tell you later. Right now, we need to get home." He turned to the statue behind him. "You can come out now; it's time to go."
 
The air around the statue shimmered strangely, and then a hulking Digimon appeared next to it.
 
"Everyone, say hello to Vikemon," Kenta said.
 
"But...the statue," Renamon whispered slowly. "They're supposed to be one and the same..."
 
"We couldn't wake up the real one," Kenta explained, "so we decided to borrow his form for a while. Fortunately, it comes with all the powers of the real one. Well, except the one we need. But I think we can fix that."
 
Kenta's Vikemon placed one of his enormous black paws on the statue. "I have need of your weapon, brother," he said in a gruff voice.
 
There was a loud snap, and one of large maces attached to the statue's back came loose and fell into Vikemon's hand.
 
"This will help us open a portal to our world," Kenta said, pointing up at the mace. "So, you guys ready?"
 
* * * * *
 
“I bet you value Terriermon's help now, don't you?” Wallace asked quietly.
 
Jenrya said nothing. Mostly because the clamp at the end of Galgomon's gun was closed around his neck.
 
“Digimon are here to help us, Jenrya. If you won't let them help, there's no point. Do you understand?”
 
Galgomon's grip loosened slightly, and Jenrya took a deep breath, pausing to spit out some blood. “Yes,” he gasped.
 
“Good.” Wallace glanced at his watch. “You have three minutes to call your Terriermon. After that, we start again.”
 
“No need,” a voice whispered angrily behind him, and Wallace felt the unmistakable press of a gun against his back. “Now get him off of Jen-kun, or you won't live to regret it, I promise you.”
 
“Galgomon,” Jenrya sighed in relief as Wallace's Digimon released him. “You came for me.”
 
“Course I did, Jen-kun. That's what Digimon do for their Tamers. And that was the lesson, wasn't it?”
 
“Yes,” Wallace agreed with another of his wide smiles. “So it was. The first lesson, anyway.”
 
“What…?” Jenrya asked.
 
“I did say there were three trials, in case you forgot,” Wallace said, and as he spoke, his blond hair darkened a shade, and his face changed as well. “Welcome to trial number two.”
 
“I knew it!” Galgomon hissed. “You guys aren't real! There's no way your Digimon should've been that strong!”
 
“We're real enough,” the boy replied, gesturing to his own Galgomon as its form began to change, too. “But unreal enough not to be confined by the usual rules.”
 
“Then a better question is, what are you?” Jenrya muttered as Galgomon came to stand beside him. “A ghost?”
 
“A digital ghost,” Galgomon added with a growl.
 
The boy smiled at them. “Close enough, I suppose. You can consider me your drill instructor, if you want. For now, though, just call me Yamato. Oh, but I'm being rude. I forgot to introduce my partner.”
 
Jenrya swallowed nervously as the transforming shape resolved itself into a growling Metal Garurumon.
 
“Don't worry, Jen-kun,” Galgomon said, stepping in front of his Tamer. “I got your back. Your front, too!”
 
“That's great, but who's got yours?” Jenrya asked weakly, pointing at the fast approaching figure of Antiramon.
 
Galgomon laughed nervously. “Uh…I'll get back to you on that…”
 
* * * * *
 
“Do you think they'll hatch soon, Ruki?” Jeri asked as she gently laid a blanket over the two softly glowing DigiEggs.
 
“I doubt it,” Ruki replied. “They need time to get their strength back. Ryo evolving them straight to Chaos Omegamon must have drained all their energy.”
 
“How do we stop him, if he can do things like that without blinking?”
 
Ruki bit her lip. “We can't. Not now. Takato's our best hope, so until he and Alice get back, it's all we can do to survive. I honestly didn't expect much help from Kenta, but even one Valkyrimon would be great, and we've got two. I bet Panjamon is pretty handy in a fight, too.”
 
Juri tensed slightly and glanced into the next room, where Panjamon was staring out of a window, still as a statue. “I know he's strong, Ruki, but…I don't want him to fight. I don't want to lose him again.”
 
“If he doesn't fight, Juri, he's going to lose YOU,” Ruki pointed out. “Ryo isn't playing games. Well, he is, but they're deadly ones. We can't afford to hold anything or anyone back at this point. He's got every advantage, and if we don't meet him head on, we won't be here when Takato gets back.”
 
“But…what if he's not strong enough?” Juri whispered, her eyes wet with tears. “What if he dies again?”
 
“As far as I know, no Digimon dies forever. He's living proof of that. The Valkyrimon should be able to bring him back again…in theory. But playing it safe won't help anyone stay alive. You have to realize that before it's too late.”
 
“I can't help it, Ruki! I…I'm scared…”
 
“You think I'm not?!” Ruki snapped. “You think I don't think about what might happen to me because Renamon isn't here? To Shuichon and her parents? To you?” She closed her eyes and sipped her tea. “I'm just as scared as you are. But I don't let it stop me because if I don't fight, it's that much easier for Ryo to walk all over us.”
 
“But-”
 
“But nothing, Juri! If you can look me in the eye, and tell me that if Ryo was about to kill me, that you'd sit there and just watch, I think we should end this relationship right here.”
 
Before Juri could answer, Panjamon stepped into the room. He stared at each of them for a long moment. Finally, he turned to Juri and asked, “Is she your mate?”
 
Juri turned bright red at the phrasing, but managed a small nod.
 
“Then the eventuality she spoke of would never happen. I would protect both of you with all that I am.” With that, he walked out and returned to the window.
 
Ruki smirked. “Well, don't think that just because he's such a stand-up guy means you're off the hook.”
 
* * * * *
 
Shuichon couldn't help feeling a bit guilty as Valkyrimon lowered her to the ground. Here she was, having fun with a new Digimon, while Lopmon was stranded in the Digital World. He might be in trouble, or just sad and alone. He might be calling her name even now, on the off chance that their connection might allow her to her his pleas.
 
Her new friend noticed her expression. “Is something bothering you?”
 
“It's Lopmon. Even when I called, he didn't come. He always did before. Maybe he's lost…or hurt…or…or…”
 
“If your heart truly desires to see Lopmon,” Valkyrimon said, “then you only need to close your eyes and wish it.”
 
“Really?” Shuichon closed her eyes tightly and clasped her hands together. “Um…Lopmon? It's Shuichon. You might not remember me, but I was your first friend. And you're my favoritest little bunny person. And, um, if you're not busy, could you come and see me? It's not really important, but I…I just miss you. So come back. Please?” Hesitantly, she opened one eye, in case he'd walked up during her little speech. But there was still no Lopmon.
 
She turned to ask Valkyrimon if she'd done something wrong, and was shocked to see his body surrounded by a pink aura. “What….what's happening to you?!”
 
“I am granting your wish, Shuichon,” he said as his body began to shrink rapidly. When the pink glow faded, a small, brown, long eared Digimon was revealed, his bright eyes shining with joy. “Did someone call me?”
 
“…LOPMON!!!” Shuichon shrieked, tackling him to the ground and covering his face with kisses. “You're here!”
 
“Of course I am,” Lopmon laughed, wrapping his long ears around his Tamer. “You called me home, Shuichon. How could I stay away?”
 
“But you had wings! And you weren't a bunny anymore!” Then her eyes widened. “Ooooh, Lopmon! You got a tattoo!” She pointed at his left eye, which was surrounded by a pink star shape.
 
“Much has changed with me, Shuichon,” he admitted. “But I will always be yours.”
 
She beamed and picked him up. “You haven't met Pepper yet!”
 
“Oh, I met him earlier,” Lopmon said quickly.
 
“But he didn't know it was you, either! You have to say hi again!”
 
“Shuichon, there's really no need for-!”
 
“PEPPER! LOPMON'S HOOOOME!!!”
 
* * * * *
 
Alice kept her eyes closed until the crackling sound stopped. Even then, there was a loud hiss that made wonder if one of them had been vaporized instead of transported back to their world. But when she finally dared to look, she found the hissing sound was coming from the ground they stood on, which was charred black and smoking.
 
“Everyone okay?” Kenta asked, adjusting his glasses. “It was a little bumpy, I know, but it was our first try.”
 
“Thanks for not mentioning that before,” Takato muttered, looking a little green.
 
“I just hope it didn't hurt my egg,” Alice murmured softly, stroking her DigiEgg for good measure.
 
“I'm almost positive it didn't,” Kenta replied.
 
“What do you think, Renamon?” Takato asked. When there was no answer, he turned to her, and was surprised to see Renamon's fur standing on end. “I guess the portal wasn't kind to your fur, huh?”
 
“I don't think that's it, Takato,” Alice said nervously, glancing around. “I think we're in trouble.”
 
Renamon glanced briefly at each of the children. “Whatever you do, don't trust your eyes.”
 
“Now why would you tell them something like that, Renamon?” a voice asked. “I think Ruki's made you paranoid.”
 
“Hey, I know that voice!” Takato said with a grin. “Ryo, is that you?”
 
“In the flesh,” Ryo said as he emerged from a nearby alley. “I'm glad to see you all made it in one piece.”
 
Takato stepped forward, perhaps to shake his hand, but something grabbed him. He looked back to see Guilmon's mouth clamped down on his arm. “What's with you, boy? You remember Ryo.”
 
“We should leave. Right now,” Renamon said, placing herself in front of Takato.
 
“What? Why? Ryo's one of us! Right, Kenta?”
 
But Kenta seemed anxious, too. “Takato, this is a trap.”
 
“What are you talking about? Have you all gone nuts?”
 
“Takato, even I didn't know exactly where the portal would take us,” Kenta explained. “How could Ryo know?”
 
“Well, he IS Ryo. You know normal rules don't apply to him.”
 
“Let me put you all at ease,” Ryo said in a deceptively peaceful voice. “I'm only here to introduce you to my new partner.”
 
“Hey, you got a new Digimon?” Takato asked excitedly.
 
Ryo smiled darkly. “Well…I improved on the old one.”
 
A new figure emerged from the alley, easily twice Ryo's height. At a distance, it would've been mistaken for a Cyber Dramon. But as it stepped into clear view, the differences were all too obvious. First and foremost, it had no red wings. The battle armor was more prominent than before, and there was a long, jagged crack running down the center of the silver, gleaming chest plate.
 
“I call him Cyber Dramon: Sniper Mode. He only has one attack, but it's easily worth two. Want to see it?”
 
Before anyone could answer, Cyber Dramon's chest plate swung open with a loud click, revealing a swirling, spherical mass of red and black.
 
“His DigiCore!” Kenta cried in alarm. “You can't just expose it!”
 
“Oh, it won't matter to you in a few seconds,” Ryo assured him.
 
This turned out to be all too true. For just as Ryo finished speaking, a wide, scarlet beam of energy flew from Cyber Dramon's with uncanny speed, headed straight for Kenta.
 
At the last second, Vikemon's large hand swung down, absorbing the blow, but he roared in pain and doubled over, his body shrinking in on itself until he was a quivering pink mass.
 
“Marine Angemon!” Kenta cried, picking up his Digimon. “What did you do to him?!”
 
“Well, I wasn't aiming for him,” Ryo replied with a shrug. “If it makes you feel any better, I paid a higher price.”
 
His meaning became clear when they all finally noticed that the only trace left of Cyber Dramon: Strike Mode was a few black data bits that were soon carried into the darkening sky.
 
“That is unforgivable!” Renamon shouted. “Creating an attack that destroys the Digimon itself?! You are an abomination!”
 
“How could you do that to your partner, Ryo?” Takato asked in disbelief. “Now he's gone…”
 
Ryo blinked, smiling at them. “Who said I only had one?”
 
Instantly, there were several loud, ominous clicking sounds.
 
“Takato, they're everywhere!” Alice shrieked, clutching her DigiEgg tightly.
 
Takato's eyes widened as he saw that she was right. Everywhere he looked, there was a Cyber Dramon with it's DigiCore exposed, ready to fire.
 
“It's nothing personal, Takato,” Ryo said quietly. “But you're the biggest threat to my plans. I can't allow you to live any longer. But don't worry. I'll tell Shuichon you said goodbye.”
 
As the scarlet beams of pure destruction bore down on him, the last thing Takato saw before shutting his eyes was the cruel smile on Ryo's face.
 
* * * * *
 
Next Chapter: Little Terrors
Ryo's mad experiments on Digimon continue, this time using data from Daisuke's V-mon. Panjamon finally sees some action, and Alice's DigiEgg hatches. Jenrya and Galgomon continue to fight for their lives against a foe who seems to have them in excess.
 
Digidex
Wendimon: Adult/Champ. You might remember this Digimon from the movie, though you might've mistakenly thought it was Cocomon, since Willis insisted on calling it that even after it had evolved.
Metal Garurumon: Ultimate/Mega. The Garuru Cannon half of Omegamon comes from him.
Vikemon: Ultimate/Mega. If Zudomon had a big brother, it'd be him. He actually can warp space with his hammer (I still say it looks more like a mace).
Cyber Dramon: Sniper Mode: (I made it up, don't y'know) A dragon warrior that pays the ultimate price when using its Erase Cannon.
 
 
I had a discussion with a reader about Kazu & Kenta's Digimon. Basically, about why I didn't like them: they were hardly used, and when they were, the results were just...disappointing, to me, at least. They never evolve (this is understandable in Marine Angemon's case), and other than serving as cannon fodder or glorified distractions, they might as well not have even bothered to show up.
Admittedly, I wasn't going to use Kazu or Kenta in this story, but once I figured out some other uses (other forms) for their Digimon, I decided to give them a try.
You will notice that Kenta's Marine Angemon never displays a lower form. This is because I cannot decide what it would de-evolve into, and I've given up trying. Instead, Marine Angemon will be his basic form, and he'll occasionally kind of mode change into another Mega/Ultimate Digimon. Which isn't to say he's that strong, but as long as he's here, I'm going to get some use out of him.