Digimon Fan Fiction ❯ Dark Diaries ❯ Keep your friends close... ( Chapter 6 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Dark Dairies

Entry 6 ~ "Keep your friends close..."

Written by Rocker Starlight

Permission by Lord Archive

A/N ~ This chapter will contain speech that is telepathic. To allow you readers to know the difference easier, telepathic speech will be between * - *. I hope this helps ease your reading experience. ^_^

****************

Erin rubbed his forehead as he watched the news on the television. It had been four days since the attack at the mall, and almost every single day had shown one or more eyewitnesses being interviewed, venting their opinions that the monsters that kept attacking their town should be destroyed. Others sounded a bit more reasonable, merely voicing their worry over the safety of their friends and family.

Shaking his head, Erin finally turned the TV off in annoyance. While he understood how some of those people felt, it really grated at him that half of them did not know anything about the incidents they had supposedly been at. After hearing more then one person complain about how 'That Dragon man that always showed up' was a menace, the teen had finally gotten sick of listening.

Walking to the kitchen, the orphan smiled at Jill as he moved past her. He watched a moment as she made some turkey sandwiches, packing them in small paper bags for the younger children. As he grabbed a few pieces of fruit out of the refrigerator, he piled them onto a plate, starting to carry them out when he saw the mute girl giving him a curious look.

Laughing softly, Erin tried not to smile nervously. "Don't mind me, Jill. Just been really hungry the last few days, ya know?" As he watches her eyebrow raise a little more, he backs up slightly. "Well, gotta run, got to... Write a letter to Selene!" Laughing a little more nervously, he slipped out of the kitchen quickly, before Jill could sign anything.

Sighing softly to himself, the teen quickly walked out the backdoor of the home, glancing around to make sure no one noticed him as he make his way out to the tool shed behind the building. Giving a final look around, he slid himself quickly into the small shed.

"It's about time." Witchmon sat on one of the crates inside the small building, her broom in a corner. The small black lines on her eyes, looking as if someone had drawn a single line across her closed eyes, made her soft glare a little cute. The small, golden claws on the back of her gloves gleamed a moment as she reached her large hands out for the plate. Taking it, she quickly took a small apple, taking small bites out of it.

Erin leaned against the door, watching the witch digimon eat the assorted fruits. He had hidden her here after the mall incident, and thus far, he had been able to keep anyone from finding out she was here. He had been able to say he had found her cat as a stray, and convince Ms. K to let him keep it as a pet in the house. Although his digimon captive had been more then a little annoyed when he had told her about it.

Wiping a little of the juices from the fruit from her mouth, Witchmon looked at her captor, setting the now empty plate down. "Well? Aren't ya gonna question me?" She smirked softly. "Or is it time for the strip search?" The blush from the boy's cheeks made her laugh softly, always enjoy pulling his chain a little when she could.

Giving a small huff, Erin sat down on the floor, leaning against the door still. "Well, how about telling me more about what you're looking for?"

The female digimon shrugged slightly. "I told you already. I was told to find a dark energy source that had been detected faintly in this area of Earth. Unfortunately, my superior made me team up with that idiotic Boogeymon, who just wanted to scare a bunch of humans. And we can see where that got him." She gives a small smirk. "And before you ask again, no I can't name my superior, since he never told me who he was. All I know is he's male, and I would recognize his voice."

Erin sighed softly as he nodded. She had given him the same answers during the short period he had questioned her a couple days ago. "Well.. If you didn't like Boogeymon, why agree to work with him?"

Witchmon crossed her arms over her chest, as she gave a small huff. "I wasn't given an option. When the headmaster from Witchelny tells you to follow a mysterious voices orders, you don't question it, no matter how much you want to..."

Erin tilted his head, watching her curiously. "Witchelny?"

The digimon gave a small smile, as she grabbed her cloak, laying the black fabric on her lap and smoothing it out. "Witchelny is a separate part of the digital world, where many magical, demon, and angelic types go to learn magic. Most of the expert magic casters in the Digital World came from Witchelny." She smiled a little more, a bit of pride in it this time.

The teen nodded, as he listened. He was no closer to knowing who it was that was attacking his home, but at least he may be able to learn more from a digimon itself now. Standing up, he turned towards the door slightly as he spoke. "We'll continue this later. I need to get back inside before anyone comes looking for me." As he saw the female witch nod, he walked out, leaving her by herself in the tiny shed.

****************

Jill watched out of the window of her bedroom, as the older teen walked out of the tool shed. It was the sixth time he had gone by himself into the small building, and she had been wondering just why he was suddenly going out there so much. Especially since every time he had, he had taken food in.

Sitting back on her bed, she adjusted the shorts and T-shirt she had put on, because of the summer heat, thinking quietly. Erin had been acting strange over the last couple weeks, disappearing at times, acting a little nervous. The strangest thing she had noticed had to be the injuries he had gotten while he had been home by himself, supposedly from falling down the stairs. Although when she and Ms. Klink has bandaged his chest up, she had wondered how he got a small cut in the middle of the large bruise on his chest.

Walking over to her dresser, she picked up one of the framed pictures. She looked at the photo, that had been taken a little over two years ago and smiling faintly. The picture was from a fourth of July celebration that the orphanage had gone to in Clio Park. Erin stood in the center, blushing and smiling nervously, with Selene and Jill both on his arms, both girls dressed up for the evening.

Setting the picture back on the dresser, Jill wiped the small tear out of the corner of her eye. She could still remember helping Selene to turn the embarrassed teenager more shades of red then she had known existed over the course of the night.

Shaking her head out of the memory, she regained her normal smile, as she put a scrunchie in her hair, pulling it back into a ponytail. Walking out of her room, she gave herself a small, silent giggle. Since Erin had decided he needed to hide something, it seemed about time she figured out what it was.

***************

Walking through the park, Angela smiled sweetly as she and Mary walked hand in hand, watching some more of the reconstruction of the playground. She and her twin had been coming as often as possible to see watch the work since it had begun. Glancing over, she smiled over her shoulder at Ms. Klink, who was sitting on a park bench watching them.

Angel continued walking around the outside of the working people, adjusting the small blue dress she had worn, matching her twins identically. As she watched the people walking back and forth, something caught her attention away from the workers. Looking over, the assertive twin could see a pair of hands with red gloves juggling fire behind the consession stand for the softball diamonds. Tugging on her twin's hand, Angela started to lead her sister over to the hand, her curiosity getting the better of her.

Mary was more then a little cautious, slowly following her twin. She glanced back at her caretaker, who was watching them from a distance, and gave a small wave. Seeing the older woman motioning for them to come back towards her, Mary tugged back on Angela's hand, stopping. "Angel, Ms. Klink wants us to go back."

"But, I wanna see who was juggling the fire!" She points towards the woods, seeing the pair of hands gone. Blinking, Angela looked around, trying to find the gloves owners, before finally giving up. "Alright..." Reluctantly, she followed her sister back to the bench.

Another hour passed, before Beverly Klink decided it was time for them to go home. "Angela, Mary, its time to go." She stood up, putting her thin jacket back on, as she waited for the twins to come back.

Angela looked up, having been exploring around the opposite side of the playground, when she heard her caretaker's voice. Pouting slightly, she picked up the pretty colored rock and slipped it into the pocket of her dress. Just as she stood up, her eyes widened as she noticed someone else was standing close to her.

At first, she thought it might by a young boy, a few years older then her. All his clothes were a deep red color, from the gloves on his hands to the hat on his head. The holes for his arms and his hat both were almost frayed looking, almost looking like actual flames, while his pants simply had flame designs on the bottom of them. A pair of goggles sat around his hat, settled on the brim, while hanging from the pair of black belts around his waist, hung two large matches, one with a red head and the other with a blue one. Her thoughts that he might be another child were tossed out, as she looked at his face better, seeing small stitches in his mouth, as if to hold it closed, as well as the purplish skin on his face and arms.

She stared at the red colored boy a moment, as she stood up, brushing her dress off a little, before smiling softly. "Your the boy who was juggling the fire, weren't you?" He nodded silently, holding up his left hand and making a couple, small balls of fire dance over his hand, before they disappeared again. Angela's face brightened, as she saw the display. "Wow! Could you teach me to do that?!" She asked eagerly.

The boy stared at her a moment, looking her up and down, before smiling slightly, giving her a nod. "I'll follow you home. Just don't tell anyone. It'll be a surprise."

The girl gave a startled look as she watched the stitched mouth open slightly, just enough for him to talk, before she gave a thought at the request. It wasn't lying, she just wouldn't tell anyone until he got there to teach her. Smiling again, she nodded. "Alright, see you there!" She turned around, running off happily around the half-constructed playground.

The 'boy' smiled darkly, as he turned around, walking towards a few trees. "We'll follow her. She barely has the scent of the one we want." Jumping into the tree, he disappeared from sight.

***************

Witchmon sighed softly, as she lay on the small mat that the boy had brought her. With her hat sitting with her cloak on top of the crate, all she had on was her dress, boots, and her gloves. Caressing her stomach with her large hands, she closed her eyes, trying to relax a little. Her rest was interrupted as she heard a small noise, sounding like it came from the house. Muttering softly to herself, she stood up, sitting on the crate, as she waited for the human male to return and question her further.

Her eyes went wide, when she saw the door open, to reveal a young human girl in a pink tanktop and baby blue shorts. Her blond hair was pulled into a ponytail behind her head, and dark blue eyes staring back at the digimon in shock. Witchmon was more surprised, when the young girl she recognized from the mall stepped into the shed, closing the door behind her.

The witch digimon watched the young girl for a moment, as the blond gave her a soft smile. She watched as the human started moving her hands oddly, as if trying to say something. "Umm... Hello? Konichiwa? Buenos Dias?" As she watched the girl nod and try those hand gestures again, the female digimon sighed softly, touching the human's mind with her limited telepathy. *There, this should help. Now, hello?*

The girl blinked, as she heard the words inside her mind. *H...Hello? How are you doing this?* Her mental voice was a soft, sweet tone, as she watched the digimon curiously.

Witchmon smirked softly, as she watched the bewildered human. *I can speak telepathically with people I am near. It makes conversations so much easier, don't you think? So, what's your name then?*

The girl smiled softly as she bowed her head. *My name is Jill Kenneth. Who are you? Why does Erin keep coming out to visit you?*

Witchmon stared at the girl a moment. *Erin?* As a mental image formed from the girl, showing the boy who had been questioning her, the digimon gave a small smile. *I'm Witchmon. And Erin has been letting me stay here, so no tries to hurt me.*

Jill nodded, accepting the explanation. *Would you like me to get you something to eat? I can probably bring you a sandwich, or a pop, or something.* She smiles sweetly, feeling happy to be able to speak with someone who can easily understand her.

The witch digimon nodded to the sweet girl. *A drink will be fine. Erin already brought me food for dinner.* Witchmon watched as the girl nodded and quickly ran out of the shed. She didn't know why she had side stepped explaining the complete reasoning behind her being here, but the emotion she had felt for the boy who was holding her just made her not want to tell her.

The digimon waited a few minutes, wondering why it seemed to be taking Jill longer then it would Erin, before a noise from outside caught her attention. She frowned slightly, smelling the familiar scent of a digimon outside the walls of shed. Putting her cloak and hat back on, she took her broom, cracking the door slightly to peak outside.

Witchmon's eyes widened as she saw why the human girl hasn't returned. From her point of view, she could see Jill, stuck to a giant spider's wed, with a Dokugumon standing before her. With its big, black body facing the shed, the skull and crossbones upside down to her, she could just barely see the large red hair on its head and the horns from the helmet. She frowned, figuring the spider digimon was probably drooling as it stared at the human.

Opening the door, she stepped out, just about to blast the stupid bug, when a small fireball flew past her face, hitting the side of the shed. Turning her head in the direction the attack had come from, Witchmon was greeted by the sight of the short haired twin being held in front of a digimon dressed in red with a top hat that looked like it was a flame. A red glove held the girl by her throat, while a dark smile graced the stitched lips of the digimon holding her.

Witchmon's eyes widen in surprise, before her hand tightened on her broom. "FlaWizarmon…"

**********

Erin rubbed the back of his neck, as he walked home. After his talk with Witchmon, he had found a note from Ms. K, asking him to buy a few cat supplies, since it had been his request to keep the orphaned feline. Carrying the bags of cat food and kitty litter home, a chill ran up his spine, as he stepped in front of the door.

"Something… Something's wrong…" Glancing around, he quickly ran along the side of the building. Setting the bags down behind a bush, Erin pulled the coin out of his pocket, whispering softly to himself. "Coin Fusion."

As the dark power fused with his body, the teenager slowly crept towards the backyard, now able to here voices from that direction. Stopping at the corner, he looked around it, staring in shock at the scene before him.

In a giant web set up in front of the backdoor, Jill and Angela both hung from the thick strands, struggling some as they stared fearfully at a giant spider with a metal mask with horns and a skull and crossbones on it's back. It almost looked like It had two hands holding thick clumps if it's own red hair next to it's head, while the rest simply came out from under the mask.

By the shed, Witchmon was tied up with the same strands, stuck to the wall as she glared at a short digimon wearing red clothing, and a fiery looking top hat. Her broom was a foot away from her, as she struggled against the bonds holding her.

"FlaWizarmon, what's going on?! What's the meaning of this?!" Witchmon was almost screaming as she glared at the fire digimon. "I don't remember picking on human as being one of your pastimes."

FlaWizarmon turned away from the witch, a smirk on his stitched mouth. "Normally I wouldn't give a care, if I hadn't been told to bring you back. Lord Mystimon wishes to see you, to 'discuss' your failure." As the witch's eyes widened, the flame wizard walked in front of the giant spider, running a finger along Angela's cheek, making the young girl stare in fear. "If not for this young human, I would not have found you for quite some time. Your scent was just barely on her."

Erin dug his nails into his palms as he watched the wizard, barely keeping himself from growling. It was his fault FlaWizarmon and his pet spider had found them, since he had been the only contact between the female digimon and anyone in the house. Hanging his head slightly, a soft growl escaped him, as he stared at the grass.

Witchmon shifted her arms, using the small claws on her gloves to try and slowly cut through the spider's webbing. Just as she finished cutting the first strand, she stiffened as she felt a strong presence close by. At first, she thought Mystimon may have followed the idiotic fire wizard, but when she looked at him, he had a pondering look on his face, looking at the corner of the building the humans lived in.

The female digimon watched, as Erin stepped out from around the corner, the dark aura concentrating around the human. His head was bowed low, but Witchmon could tell from the way his body was tensed that he was not being submissive.

"You…" Erin's voice came out in a half growl, as he began slowly walking towards FlaWizarmon, ignoring the Dokugumon. The spider made itself known to the teen as it stepped in between him and the wizard digimon.

As he stopped a foot before the large insect, the look of anger left his face, chuckling darkly as a small chuckle escaped him. He looked up, his eyes now blood red as he stared at Dokugumon. "Fine… You go first…Digital Assimilation!"

Everyone but Witchmon stared as they watched the teen was transformed into the assimilated form. With a growl, Erin slammed his claw into the side of Dokugumon's head, sending it flying through the fence into the next yard. As his gaze shifted to FlaWizarmon, the demon man digimon leapt backwards, landing on the roof next door.

"If you wish a fight, then follow me, half-breed." FlaWizarmon took another leap, disappearing behind the house.

Black War Humon growled deeper, about to take off after the digimon, when he heard a noise next to him. Turning he saw Angela give a small yell of fear as she stared at him, Jill seeming more startled then fear. He stared at the two girls, his claws lowering, before a soft swat at the back of his head brought his attention back from the two pairs of eyes.

Glancing behind him, Witchmon lowered her broom from having using it to hit the assimilated teen, putting it underneath her, as she began floating. "Time to wake up, Black War Humon. You can explain things later, but right now, Dokugumon is still around. You be a good boy, and show it how well you can swat a bug." A dark smile graced the female digimon's face as she continued. "Flame boy is mine."

As Witchmon flew off after FlaWizarmon, Erin turned back to the girls. Carefully slicing at the bonds around them, pulling both girls from the web, and setting them on the ground. "Both of you go inside, and stay there. Don't let anyone come out, until I return. I'll explain then, alright?" The deeper voice was a little stronger then before, as he knelt down and addressed the two girls. "It'll be alright, I promise."

Jill watched the assimilated teen for a moment, before giving a gentle smile and nodding. Placing her hand on the startled red head's shoulder, she led Angela around the building, leaving Erin alone.

Giving a soft smile, Erin stood up, holding his arms out wide, as he looked over his shoulder, seeing Dokugumon returning. "Well then… Shall we dance?"

***********

Witchmon flew through the sky of the small town, looking around for the viral wizard she was chasing. "FlaWizarmon, come out here and fight!"

"Fire cloud!"

The attack came from her side, as a small shower of fireballs flew at her. Swinging her hand at the balls of flame, she countered. "Luna gale!" She watched as the wind of her attack ripped the fire apart.

"Heh. You always were a pain for me." The flame wizard stepped out from behind, his matches both in his hands. "But after this, Lord Mystimon will give your place, working for the new master of Witchelny. Fire cloud!" Swinging his blue match, the end burst into flames, firing another slew of fire at the witch.

Frowning, Witchmon held her hand in front her, facing the palm at the attack. "Aqua pressure!" As the water energy collected, it flattened and expanded, forming a barrier that shielded her from the fire. "Luna gale!" Letting the shield drop, she swung her hand again, firing the blast of air through the water, watching the water and air hit her opponent.

FlaWizarmon hissed as he felt the mixed attack striking him, growling softly. "Stupid bitch!" Bringing his red match down on the roof, flames began to form on the stones, starting to engulf the fire digimon. "Magic Ignition!" FlaWizarmon's body began to glow with the flame, as the fire around him gained strength, empowering the digimon. "Fire cloud!'

Dodging low, Witchmon landed on the roof next to the one her opponent was on, using a stairwell to avoid some of the attacks. "Turn a guy down, and he never forgets…" Landing on the ground, she held in her hands, with the bristles by her head. Once the attacks quieted down, she jumped from behind the stairwell, swinging her broom to help her attack. "Luna gale!"

The flame wizard growled as the wave of wind dampened the flames around him, but smiled as they proved unable to put the fire out. "You can't beat me, Witchmon. Even your magic can't put out my flames."

"Black Tornado!"

FlaWizarmon's eyes went wide, as he felt the cylinder of wind surround him, pain coursing through his body. As the winds finally dissipated, the demon man dropped the two matched, barely holding himself upright. He slowly looked up, seeing Black War Humon smirking softly from above him, with his arms crossed over his chest. "Was that strong enough?"

"Fire cloud!" Throwing a small collection of flames at the assimilated fighter, FlaWizarmon growled as he saw the gauntlet covered arm swat the flames out with a simple gesture.

Witchmon, back on her broom, floating a little below Erin, smirking softly at the defeated digimon. "Hope you enjoy being reformatted. At least now, you won't have to deal with the rumors about your fire going out before you get started anymore. Aqua pressure!" Throwing her hand towards FlaWizarmon, a ball of water flew from her hand, striking the fire digimon with enough force that he burst into small black flecks.

Erin watched the attack, floating down to the same height as Witchmon, and smiles softly at her. "Thanks. I… well…"

The female digimon smiled at the human, patting him on the arm. "Your welcome. By the way, what happened to Dokugumon?"

Grinning a bit more, Erin chuckled softly. "He learned how good I am at bug swatting." Raising his claw to emphasize the comment, the pair laughed, as they flew back to the orphanage.

************

Erin fidgeted nervously, as he stood in front of the front door of the orphanage. He had already cleaned up the webbing and everything besides the broken fence in the back yard, to hide any evidence that a digimon attack had happened in his own backyard. Now, he had to try and face two people he considered like family, and was very paranoid about how they would react to what he had to tell them.

Feeling an overly large hand settle on his shoulder, Erin turned his head, looking at the smiling Witchmon. She had been acting much nicer since the fight with FlaWizarmon had ended, although Erin wasn't minding having someone to help him with this. "Calm down. You're shaking so much, I'm surprised you don't shake yourself into pure data." Laughing softly, she gave his shoulder a soft squeeze, before pushing him towards the door. "Now go in there and talk to them. I'll wait on the roof for you, alright?"

Stopping himself from hitting the door with his head, the teenager stood up straight again, giving the female a nod. As he listened to her fly up to the roof, Erin took a deep breath, trying to calm his nerves as he walked into the house. He went quickly up the stairs, until he reached Jill's room, hearing a soft crying coming from the room. He knocked softly, and watched as the blond girl opened the door, quickly being ushered into the room.

"Jill… Angel... I…I need to explain." He sat down on the bed, on the opposite end from Angela, as Jill sat down next to her, both girls watching him. He almost faltered at the sight of the tears in the red head's eyes, but he knew he needed to do this. "It started a little over a month ago, when I was having these weird dreams…"

**************

Floramon ~ *nods* Well, it seems Erin is finally learning to try and trust in people as well, as digimon. So when Erin is put to the test against a perfection digimon, will he prevail? Find out next time, on Dark Diaries!

A/N ~ First off, yes I got Witchelny from a site, I did not make it up out of my own head. Although since I have so little information, I am planning on working out Witchelny to be used more. ^_^

ToyAgumon ~ But, how did FlaWizarmon find Witchmon from Angela? They have never really been really close, physically, before he had already found her.

Well, this isn't that complicated. FlaWizarmon, being a magical digimon, was able to sence the residual aura on Angel. Because, after the mall, and being around Witchmon's cat, being around Erin, who was spending alot of time on her, and just being in the general area, left a small bit of Witchmon's aura around Angela, making it so the wizard could track her down. The term of 'scent' was not being used literally, although this detail may become covered in the next chapter.

ToyAgumon ~ *looks at one of the reviews* One of your reviewers has a question. He asked, where is Dark Diaries set?

^_^ Dark Diaries currently is set in Mt. Morris, MI, a small town that is literally just north of Flint, and about an hour north of Detroit.

On a final note, I am still looking for pre-readers. I'm mainly looking for editors for spelling and grammar, beyond what a spell check can accomplish, but knowledge of digimon, and thus editing he story a bit is welcome as well. E-mail me, and we can talk, and see if you would like to work with me. ^_^ I can think of benefits, but that is something I'll discuss in e-mails, not on my author notes. Well, hope everyone is enjoying the story, and see you all next chapter!