Digimon Fan Fiction ❯ Digimon Adventure: REMIX ❯ Factorial Remix MegaBlast ( Chapter 5 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Digimon Adventure Remix: Episode 5
Factorial Remix Megablast
(AKA: Kabuterimon's Electrical Surge!)

Not being one for speeches, I'll keep this short. Koushirou, or Paso, here, to summarize what happened last time. At Mimi's suggestion, we crossed a desert that seemed impassable, and found a village of Pyokomon. Meramon attacked from Miharashi Mountain, but Piyomon evolved into Birdramon to save us. I theorized that the Black Gear that was in his body had something to do with his aggressive behavior.

"Dammit," Koushirou shouted, sitting on a tree stump. "Other than those couple minutes back in the Pyokomon Village, this thing won't even turn over for one processor cycle." His red hair was slick with sweat, as was most of the children's' hair, from the hike here.

"Don't worry about it," Taichi said, reaching out. "I know just how to do this. You just need to make a couple subtle adjustments." He pulled his hand back, and was shocked when Koushirou's skull hit his jaw, bowling him over. "What's the big deal? It's not like that stupid machine is alive."

"The big deal? The big deal is that I don't want you ruining my computer by throwing it around like a madman, Goggles!" Koushirou was positively pissed at his supposed friend's behavior, and the lack of response from his other traveling partners. "Mimi, you understand what I mean, right?"

"Umm, yeah," she said, blinking. "I understand perfectly, Paso-kun. So, let's find some . . ." As usual, she had lost her train of thought in mid-sentence. She was staring off in the distance, and Koushirou followed her gaze.

"Is that what I think it is," Yamato said, pointing towards it.

"Well it's certainly not a Paso Deluxe Bull Driver," Taichi grumbled, rubbing his chin. "Look at this, man! I'm gonna have a bruise here for like the next week."

"I still love ya," Yamato said, casually. "Besides, bruises build character."

Hikari giggled as she watched Yamato wrap his arm around Taichi, just firmly enough that her brother couldn't easily get out of it. Koushirou finished his mental calculations, and nodded.

"That should be the Factorial Fortress," he announced, putting Charlene away. "Meramon told us we might be able to find some power for my computer there, so I suggest we take a visit."

"And pray that nothing weird happens," Mimi said, stretching her arms out in front of her. Koushirou wondered at those sudden moments when she made sense, but was impressed that she could almost seem to control whether she was ditzy or at least mildly bright. She was certainly not an ordinary girl.

A beep from his back brought him to his senses. "Charlene?" He pulled out the laptop and checked, then grinned. "Amazing! Charlene is operational again, but . . . damn, her battery is low." The others were already headed towards the factorial fortress, and he hurried along after them. Glancing towards the monitor, he rose an eyebrow as the battery suddenly resumed a full charge. "Eh, whatever," he muttered, closing the laptop. He carried it under his arm into the factory.

"I hope they have a manufacturer's outlet," Mimi said, entering the factory. "You know, they always have killer deals."

"Nice joke," Gomamon muttered, rolling his eyes. "Killer deals."

"You're so dull," Yamato said. "I only hope they can make us a way home."

"Yeah," Taichi said, trying to avoid Yamato. "A way home would be really good. Especially with all the danger we've encountered so far."

"I only hope I can get a proper power source for Charlene," Koushirou said, blinking as his eyes adjusted to the semidark conditions inside.

"Conveyor belts," Jou muttered, watching the machines as they built, something. "Someone must be here to run the conveyor belts. And people have to eat, so there must be food somewhere in here."

"I wouldn't count on that," Yamato said, glancing around. "I really don't think anyone is here."

"I certainly don't smell anyone," Agumon said, shrugging. "Or any food either. But the Pyokomon let us take some of their food with us. If we get hungry, there's always some of that."

"But, someone must be running the equipment," Sora said, feeling one of the products. It was smooth to the touch, and warm, almost like heated metal. "Right?"

"I wouldn't think so," Koushirou said, watching. "The machines seem to support themselves well enough."

"Well, whatever is going on," Taichi said. "I have no doubt we can find out more if we split up. One group will explore the rest of the factory, and the rest will try to find people down on the belt level. How does that sound?"

"It sounds good, big brother," Hikari said, smiling.

Within several minutes, the team were decided. Yamato would lead a group of his brother, Mimi, and Koushirou on the belt level, while Taichi took Sora, Jou, and Hikari.

"Wait," Piyomon said, a shiver going through her spine. "Don't go any further this way."

"But what's wrong?" Jou needed to have a reason. "I mean, this way is as good as any other, isn't it?"

"Just, wait," she said.

"Is something the matter Piyomon?" Sora knelt down by her friend, and sighed.

"I can't explain it," Piyomon said. "But it just feels dangerous. It's just a feeling, but it doesn't feel that great."

"We're going," Taichi growled, pushing on.

"Big brother, what are they making?"

"Maybe parts for robots," Yamato said, shrugging. "Or spaceships."

"What this," Koushirou muttered, looking towards a door. It was metal, and closed securely. He opened the door, and walked into another room, and grinned. "A battery like that could power the Mir Space station for a lifetime," he said. "My computer should be no problem. If I can tap into it's power, that is."

"What are you doing," Mimi asked, following him in. "Ooh! That's one big battery!"

"Indeed," Koushirou said, walking up to it. "And I'm trying to find a way to use its power for my computer." He sighed as he found the hidden catch, and walked into the battery, feeling Tentomon with him. "Mimi, you should stay with the other guys. I'll catch up once I figure this out."

"What happened to him," Hikari said, looking at the metal helmet. "I think he's hurt, big brother. Try to help him."

"All right," Taichi said, kneeling by his right arm. "I think we can get him out of these gears. But, he's just a busted robot."

"No, he's Andromon," Agumon said.

"Another Digimon?"

"That's right Taichi," Piyomon said, flying over his face. "And very advanced. He's a Perfect level Digimon, even higher than our adult levels. If we have to fight him, we wouldn't have a chance."

"If we work together, we can get him out," Sora said. "Then he shouldn't want to fight us."

"My mother doesn't like he doing heavy work," Jou said, tugging at his collar. "I have bad knees, and next to no upper body strength."

"Don't worry about it," Sora said. "We'll do all the hard work."

She and Taichi pulled, trying to get him out, when Taichi slipped. He fell back into a lever and knocked it back.

"Something is happening," Hikari said, smiling. "He's coming out!"

Within a moment, Andromon was lying, powered down, but free of the gears. He felt his systems initializing, though, along with a new program. He didn't question it, it took priority over his earlier programs.

". . . just needs a couple of good whacks as a jump start," one voice said.

"No," said another voice, slightly higher in pitch. "You'll hurt him."

"Big brother, just wait," said a third voice, a small brown haired human, he saw, as he opened his eyes.

"There was this movie," said a fourth voice, this one from a blue haired human. "And a robot came to life and ate all of the humans."

Eat all humans? That would suffice for my goal, Andromon thought.

"Look, I'm sure if we're nice to him, he'll be nice to us," said the second voice, a red haired human. He rose and turned towards her, grabbing her by the leg. It was his power source, thus it stood to reason that hers was likewise. "Forget what I said about him being friendly! Just run, guys."

"Magical fire," shouted another voice. Andromon turned to see a Piyomon, then felt an interrupt in his arm. The human fell from his grasp.

"Andromon will terminate intruders," he said, narrowing his eyes. His right hand turned into a blade, and he focused power to it. "Spiral sword!"

The humans ran, and Andromon frowned. This would be more work than he expected.

"What do you think it is," Tentomon asked, looking around the room. It was a large circular room, with many symbols of Digicode on the wall. He had never seen Digicode written this way, though, and was as confused as his partner.

"Binary annotations of some sort," Koushirou said. "Based on the size and obvious variant, I expect each one is sixteen bytes, if not a full program. That makes for an amazingly complex piece of software, if each of these sytmbols holds that much data."

"And in plain speak? For those who didn't major in computer engineering."

"Each of these symbols holds a large part of a program, if not a whole program. If I change them like so," he said, moving a finger to erase the corner from one of them. The lights instantly went out, leaving the room in almost pitch darkness. "Voila, we see a change in our environment."

"Shit," Jou said. "Who turned out the lights?"

"I hope it wasn't Andromon," Taichi said. A sound was heard in the distance. "And I hope that wasn't Andromon either."

"Maybe we shouldn't wait to find out," Sora said, gesturing behind her.

"Somebody please explain why we're standing here like logs while whatever it is is getting closer," Jou said, turning around. "Red eyes, that can't be good."

"I don't know," Sora said, grabbing Taichi's hand. "Goggles?"

"Hey, you know my plan of action," he said. "Run!"

And so they did. And so Andromon identified them, rising his right arm. "Spiral sword!" He stood still as he watched the blade vortex towards it's targets. He would not miss.

They turned a corner, and Andromon sighed. "Even in this darkness, they cannot avoid me forever."

"Smooth move," Koushirou muttered, tapping his fingers on his laptop. "Might I have deleted the wrong program?"

"I think that is a distinct possibility," Tentomon said, blinking his compound eyes in the darkness. "Perhaps if you were to un-delete it?"

"Good thought," Koushirou said, pulling out a marker. "Now to replace what I erased, with a bit of metallic ink." He stroked in a careful curve, and the lights flashed back to life.

"That's mysterious," Koushirou said, loading his compiler on the computer. He quickly began trying to interpret the code, and nodded as he started to make some progress.

"What's so mysterious?"

"Most batteries are driven by a chemical reraction," he said, looking at the screen. "But this one is driven by it's own digital reaction, producing power from no visible source."

"And in more plain talk?"

"Just a moment."

"Of course," Tentomon said, flying up. He recognized some familiar symbols, and nodded at the codes for "create" and "break".

"Exactly," Koushirou said, grinning. "If I can decode more of this program, I may either be able to find us a way out of here, or else make one."

"Did they forget to pay their electric bill," Mimi said, as the lights came back on. "Or was it just a blackout?"

"You have no imagination," Yamato said, glaring at her.

"Intruders sighted," Andromon stated, staring at the children. "Andromon doesn't like intruders. Spiral sword!"

"What's your problem," Hikari said, turning to face him.

"Problem? I am in proper functional condition," Andromon reported. "Hear my words, intruders. Andromon will have his vengeance."

"Vengeance?" Taichi pulled Hikari back and held her behind him. "Look, man, we jump started you! I got you out of those gears."

"Intruders are Chosen," Andromon said. "The Chosen must be eliminated."

"I really admire your dedication, Paso," Tentomon said, finally beginning to see why his friends called him that. "I mean, you're in here working while all your friends are having fun."

"I find this immensely fulfilling," Koushirou said, looking towards his partner. "What could be more fun than solving a puzzle or decoding a program, when nobody else can do it?"

"I can think of many things," Tentomon said, annoyed at that thought. "Like relaxing on the beach, or playing a game of hide and seek, rather than worrying about being stuck in a room with no exit. But I admit that that's only me."

"I hope to find out how we got here," Koushirou said. "And perhaps learn about you Digimon, and prove some of my theories."

"What sorts of theories? I am who I am, and I'm not hiding any secrets."

"Is that so?"

"I simply don't understand this preoccupation with your identity," Tentomon said. "Is there some deep secret in your origins?"

"A secret?" Koushirou closed his eyes as he remembered that night, peeking through his bedroom door. His parents had been talking, about him. They were debating whether or not to let him know something . . . something which he presumed later on was his adoption. His mother wanted to tell him, but his father didn't support that. He took off his glove, and saw the birthmark he'd always concealed.

"Koushirou? Are you all right?"

"This," he said, showing the back of his hand to Tentomon. "This is my secret. I don't know who I am, because I don't know who my parents are." An orange bat was on the back of his hand, glowing softly. He sighed and put the glove back on. "That's why I need to find them, whoever they are."

"I see," Tentomon said, sighing. "But, you are my partner. The screen is acting odd, and I feel danger. Paso, your friends are in trouble. Can't you feel it?"

"My Digivice?" He glanced down, to see it glowing with a soft purple light.

"How strange," Yamato said. "Those conveyor belts build the, whatever they are, and then these ones take them apart. How weird."

"Tentomon to Pasomon, can you hear me?"

"I've stumbled onto something much larger than a piece of software," Koushirou said. "And I am abandoning my alien theory as well. Tentomon? Is something wrong?"

"Well, other than it getting very hot in here? Can you do something to stop it?"

"If I knew what it was," Koushirou said, and Tentomon rolled onto his back.

"I'm being friend like a piece of salmon," Tentomon shouted, writhing in agony.

"Maybe if I, yes. I'm cutting off power in three seconds. I may never find out what this means," Koushirou said, holding his finger to the power key. As the computer shut down, Tentomon sighed in relief, and his Digivice stopped glowing.

"I don't like computers," Tentomon said.

"Come on," Taichi shouted, climbing in a crane. "Try and get us, you freaky robot!"

"Andromon will have vengeance," Andromon droned, like a broken record. He felt a tug on his back as the crane pulled him up. "Damn you, Chosen! Altitude reading abnormal. Ground interrupt, must return to ground."

"Just try it from there," Taichi shouted, rushing off.

"Goggles, stop taunting the crazy android," Jou said, as the four children and their three Digimon ran off.

"Yama-kun, why can't we leave?"

"Because, Mimi, we still haven't found out what gets built here," Yamato replied. "So far, all we know is that whatever it builds, it takes apart."

"I just hope there's a door," Takeru said, holding Patamon in his arms.

"Guys," Koushirou shouted, running out from the room. "You'll never believe what I just discovered."

"What is it," Yamato said, looking towards Koushirou.

"The computer program running this factory, is also producing the power to keep it going," Koushirou said. "But more importantly, in this world, Data is a physical and manipulable substance. Some data is even living and viable, capable of supporting an ecosystem. In a word, it's alive."

Taichi ran out of the factory, his group hot on his tail. "Guys, we've got to get out of here," he shouted, gesturing wildly with his arms.

"I really don't think I like the sound of his voice," Mimi said.

"I said, we have to get out of here, and I mean now," Taichi said, getting closer to the other four children.

"Goggles, what do you mean?"

At that moment, the floor between the groups gave way, revealing Andromon, looking very pissed at everyone. "More Chosen? They will also be destroyed." Yamato glared at Andromon, and growled. "Sensors detecting hostility. Preparing to neutralize threats first."

"Uh, Palmon, is that freaky guy talking about us?"

"I hope not, Mimi," Palmon said. "He's Andromon, and he's acting strangely. He's normally a peaceful Digimon."

"Gatling missiles!"

"Takeru, watch out," Yamato shouted.

"Don't worry, Yamato," Gabumoin said, glowing. "Gabumon evolve, Garurumon!" He grinned a toothy grin as he stomped the missile out of existence, protecting his partner and friends.

On the other hand, Taichi's group was in more danger. The missile had opened, and was currently shooting towards the group. Garurumon was in no position to stop that one, though. "Agumon, you have to evolve!"

"Right," Agumon said, focusing. He felt it, and laughed. "Agumon evolve, Greymon!" He swung his tail, sending the missile flying far away. "Now for Andromon. Are you ready, Garurumon?"

"When you are, Greymon," Garurumon replied, seeing Andromon turn towards Greymon. "Fox fire!"

"Mega flame!" Greymon's fireball was turned into data when Andromon slapped it aside, while the blue fire simply had no effect. He grabbed Garurumon and spun, throwing him into Greymon. Greymon groaned as he tried to get back up, Garurumon wincing in pain.

"You dare to challenge Andromon? I will teach you the error of that choice," Andromon said, his right hand spinning. "Spiral sword!" The energy blade rocketed towards the struggling Digimon, knocking Garurumon into the air, and giving Greymon a chance to get up. Andromon swung a fist, knocking Greymon over, then grabbed his tail.

"Can we say, 'Batter up'?" Jou watched in fear as they fought, Andromon slamming Garurumon waith Greymon's body. "He seems so much more powerful than Greymon and Garurumon. Almost like he's evolved further."

"That's right," Piyomon said. "I told you, he's a Perfect level Digimon. Even in our adult levels, we don't have a chance."

"You have to try before you give up," Sora said. "Piyomon, try to digivolve. Please?"

"I have been trying," Piyomon said. "And I can't. I suppose I just need more time to recover from yesterday."

Tentomon's eyes flashed as he thought over the recent events. "Paso, try re-entering that program from earlier. I think that that might be the key to my evolution."

"Of course," Koushirou said, loading his computer up. "That must be what the Digivices are for. They allow us to share energy with you, so that you can evolve. And now, I just need to try and remember the right sequence."

He began tapping his keys on the keyboard, putting in as much of the program he'd entered before as he could recall. Remembering the code wasn't hard, it was the order that was confusing. He could feel something, a new vibration, coming from his Digivice. "Tentomon?"

Tentomon nodded, and felt the power surge through his body. A truly amazing experience. "We cracked the code," Koushirou shouted, holding ou this Digivice.

"Tentomon evolve, Kabuterimon!" He was a large insect, with blue skin protected by his hard armored shell.He had four large membraned wings on his back, and four arms with five bony fingers on the hand of each. His mouth opened sideways, and his head was covered with a very bulky helmet-like piece of exoskeleton. "I guess it worked, Paso." He nodded once, then flew into the fray.

"Andromon, you're hurting my friends," he shouted, avoiding the flying Garurumon. "Hang in there guys, I'm doing my best."

"It won't be enough," Andromon said, focusing his gaze on the giant beetle Digimon. "Gatling . . ."

"Megablaster!" Kabuterimon released a bolt of energy, vaporizing the missile attack as it was launched, and forcing Andromon back.

"Andromon is just too durable," Jou said. "He never seems to run out of power."

"Power?" Koushirou watched, and noticed something. "That's it! If we interrupt his power source, we may be able to defeat him. But, we don't have any idea where to start."

"His leg," Sora said, shuddering as she remembered him picking her up. "I think he tried to do that to me when he first woke up. He grabbed me by the leg, and seemed a bit surprised that I was still active."

"Excellent thinking," Koushirou said, looking towards Kabuterimon. "Kabuterimon, aim for his leg! You can't defeat him on his own level, so try to cut his power."

"All right," Kabuterimon said, pulling back as another energy blade flew towards him.

"Puny insect," Andromon said, preparing for another attack.

"Megablaster!" The energy bolt shot into the gray flesh of Andromon's leg, forcing a black gear out. Like the one with Meramon, it flew into the air before vanishing, this time clearly disintegrating into a cloud of Digi-dust.

"Kabuterimon? What have I been doing?" Andromon looked up at the giant beetle, confused. "I suppose I have some apologies to make."

Taichi and Jou were shaking hands with Andromon, and finishing off their introductions. "And I'm Yagami Taichi," Taichi said, bowing. "It's a pleasure to meet you properly, Andromon."

"Thank you. I apologize again for my behavior earlier," Andromon said, a hint of sadness in his voice. "Normally I'm nonviolent, and strive for peace. But that black gear reprogrammed me. It made me want to, well, destroy the Chosen. Clearly that means you eight humans are Chosen. I can't help you out, and for this, I apologize. However, you can get out of here by following the sewers beneath the factory."

"Sewers? Well, how do we get there?" Jou was curious, even if slightly disturbed by the thought. "If it's the only way out."

"Please, let me finish," Andromon said. "Then I will lead you there. I have to warn you, there are Digimon living in that sewer. They dislike light, though, so if you travel quickly, you may be able to get out before they are a problem. They are the Numemon, and they are poisonous to most organic Digimon. I have little doubt the same will hold true towards the children."

"Warning noted," Taichi said, clapping a hand over Jou's mouth before he could protest. "We'll be very careful."

And so I was able to help Tentomon evolve. I just hope the Numemon won't be a problem for us, and that my laptop's power doesn't die. Ah well, you'll just have to find out about those things next time, on Digimon Adventure Remix.