Digimon Fan Fiction ❯ Digimon Tamers: Emerald Knight ❯ Green Lantern or Tamer ( Chapter 3 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Disclaimer: I do not own Digimon or any of its characters. Green Lantern is owned by DC Comics and Cartoon Network.

DIGIMON TAMERS: EMERALD KNIGHT

PART 3

GREEN LANTERN OR TAMER

BY HOWLING WOLF

Ganthet frowned thoughtfully as he watched Takato fly away with Guilmon. He had not expected someone to find the ring. But then, Ganthet had not expected to be thrown into a parallel reality. Or to have the last power ring be separated from him as well. `The boy is no more then a child. And yet he wielded the ring with the precision and control of a seasoned warrior.'

Deciding to find out if Takato was truly worthy of wielding a power ring, Ganthet followed the boy back to his home.

"All right Brainiac what just happened back there with Takato?" asked Rika.

Henry sighed. He knew that there was no way he was going to escape Rika's questioning.

"Rika have you ever read the comic The Green Lantern?"

"That dumb comic from America? Nor really, why?" Rika asked growing impatient.

"Well you see, Takato found a ring just like the one in the comic." Answered Henry.

"You mean to tell me that the goggle head is a super hero now?" laughed Rika.

"How else do you explain what Takato did?" Countered Henry.

Rika frowned on her way back home. The thought of Takato actually being a super hero was strangely disturbing for some reason. `Takato tomorrow you and I are going to talk.' Thought Rika.

"Grandma I'm back." Rika said.

"Dinner will be ready in a moment or two, Rika." Seiko said from the kitchen.

"Right Grandma." Rika said heading to her room.

Takato sighed with relief as he slipped his ring off. He had managed to get inside his room without his parents seeing him. There was no doubt in Takato's mind that his parents would have freaked out if they had seen their son in his new outfit. Takato turned to lie down on his bed and stared in shock. Standing before was a blue midget dressed in red robes.

"The ring, give it to me." Ganthet said.

Takato's hand tightened around the ring. "Who are you?"

"I am Ganthet. I am the last guardian of the universe." Ganthet said calmly.

"You mean like in the comic?"

This took Ganthet by surprise. "What do you mean?"

Takato grabbed the comic off his desk and handed it to Ganthet.

Ganthet felt his eyes widened as he read the title of the comic. The implications of where he now was came rushing to him. If he was in a reality where his universe was a comic here then he had a difficult choice to make. Returning to his own universe would take most of his own energy, Ganthet realized. And he would still be too weak to find some one else to give ring to.

"I have little choice then. Takato Matsuki I give to you the responsibility of being the last Green Lantern in the universe."

This took Takato completely by surprise. He had expected Ganthet to insist on him returning the ring.

"Uh not that I'm complaining, but why me? I mean I hardly know how to use it." Asked Takato.

"I watched your battle with that strange creature earlier. Although you do not have much experience you wielded the ring with great precision. I can not stay in your reality for much longer. My own reality is need of guidance still." Said Ganthet.

"How did you get here anyway?"

"A mistake on my part. Listen well. The ring you have is the last of the Green Lantern Corps. There were thirty six hundred members in the corps. Each was to protect their own planet and an assigned sector of space. With only a weakness against anything the color yellow and need to recharge twenty four hours the rings were only limited by the wearers will.

"Now that has changed. One of our greatest champions in the corps has destroyed us. Hal Jordon, after battling some of the corps on the way to OA, absorbed the power of the central battery. Afterwards he left the planet for parts unknown. After creating your ring I decided to destroy OA so that Hal Jordon could not come back to use the planet as a way of recharging." Said Ganthet.

As he did, Ganthet created images so that Takato could understand just what it was he might be getting into. The images ranged from the entire Green Lantern Corps to the final battle between Hal Jordan and Sinestro to the destruction of OA. Takato was amazed at all this, but still he had a question for Ganthet.

"Doesn't your reality need this ring more than mine? I mean I still have Guilmon to help me." Said Takato.

Ganthet shook his head. "No the ring chose you. We, the guardians, have always chosen most of our corps members. But on occasion the ring of member has found a new wearer by itself. Now you have a decision to make young Takato. Are you to be a Green Lantern or not."

Takato looked at the ring in his hand. Ganthet was right he did have a decision to make. `I always enjoyed being a tamer even when there was danger. But as a Green Lantern I could do so much more.' Takato thought. He looked back up to Ganthet. His decision made.

"I've decided. I guess you've got yourself a new Green Lantern." Said Takato.

"I am glad. Now Before I leave I shall explain to you a thing or two about your ring. Because it was created after the central battery was destroyed your ring does not have the yellow weakness. Nor does it have to be recharged every twenty four hours. Also you do not need to constantly remove your ring. Just think about your uniform and it will appear." Ganthet said.

"Well that's good. Hey wait a minute, you said you were leaving. When are you leaving?" asked Takato.

"Right now. Far well Takato Matsuki." Ganthet said as he began to fade away.

Takato started to protest before he realized that it was too late. Then he noticed that where Ganthet had been there was a green rock. Picking it up Takato frowned at it. Before he could wonder what to do with it, the rock began to glow and expand. Takato let out a gasp as the rock fell from his hand. It dropped to the ground while it was still transforming. Getting over his shock Takato looked at the newly formed object.

"A battery. I guess I recharge my ring with it. I wish Ganthet had explained a few more things to me." Mutters Takato.

TO BE CONTINUED…