Digimon Fan Fiction ❯ How to Tell You ❯ A Shoulder to Cry On ( Chapter 4 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

How to Tell You
Chapter 4: A Shoulder to Cry On

It was Monday, and Ruki pushed herself to get through school, trying her best not to let her obvious weakness show. She was barely able to even stand the thought of her life, and what it had become, but realized that she needed to fill the hole in her heart. "Come on, just let the bell ring," she said, watching the clock as school ended. "Let me find Takato... I need someone, to talk with."

"All right class, tonight's homework assignment is to study today's kanji and prepare for tomorrows reading assignments." This from their teacher, Ishida-sensei, as class wound down. "And don't try to fake it tomorrow, or I'll give you the rest of this year's kanji for homework!"

"Whatever," Ruki said as the bell finally rang. "I can't believe this, though, I finally meet him on almost equal terms, and then this happens. It's like my worst nightmare come true."

"Maybe that's because it is," Renamon said. "You don't like being weak, so this is something you can't stand feeling."

"I know, Renamon. It's a figure of speech." She leaned against a pole outside of the building, and looked around. "Do you know where gogglehead is?"

"He's in the park, or at least headed that way. He goes there every day."

"Intercept him for me," she said. "I'll wait at home."

"I understand, Ruki," Renamon said, sympathetically. "I'll take him."

"This is weird," Hirokazu said, watching as Takato approached. "He keeps looking back, like he expects someone."

"Don't worry about it," Kenta said. "I bet he's just being a bit paranoid. I mean, with that game between the Digimon Queen yesterday, it's no surprise that he'd be that way."

"I bet she's the one he's looking... Huh!? Kenta, where is he? Where did he go?"

"He was there just a second ago," Kenta said. "And then he just, disappeared."

"Hey, what!? Hey, you're that Renamon!"

"Very astute," Renamon said. "Ruki asked me to fetch you, so I am doing so."

"(Does she, want to talk? This is weird, yesterday, she said she didn't need my help, an now she sends her Renamon to bring me to her. She sure is weird, even for a girl.)"

"I certainly hope you aren't too uncomfortable," Renamon said, covering his eyes with one of her hands. "But it's probably best you don't know where she is, unless she wants you to know."

"Oh," Takato said, wondering what this was all about. He liked her, it was why he had offered to help. But this was a bit uncalled for.

"Good job, Renamon," Ruki said and Renamon finally stopped moving. She uncovered Takato eyes and he looked around the room. He couldn't tell the size, because most of the room was in shadows, and then he saw her. Ruki was just lying on her bed, looking horrible, just looking towards him. "Hello, Takato."

"You- you didn't call me a gogglehead," Takato said, shocked. "You remembered my name?"

"Of course, little fool," Ruki said, narrowing her eyes and lightly chuckling. "Plus, I don't need to look down on friends, do I?"

"Y- you consider me a friend? How many friends do you have?"

"Now? Two... maybe three," she said. "Let's just say my life hasn't much contributed to getting me friends."

"I suppose I guessed as much," Takato said. "But, why would you call me now? I mean, yesterday you didn't even want to talk."

"Renamon, leave us alone for a while," Ruki said. "We need to talk alone." As Renamon stepped into the shadows, Takato watched, in awe at that ability. "Last night, I just felt so empty. I couldn't think of anything else to do. I've always tried to fill it, but now, I don't even think battling can keep covering the emptiness."

"But why would you feel empty? I mean, I'm sure you're popular," Takato said.

"Maybe," she said. "I don't care though, if I'm popular or not, as long as I'm strong. And now... I'm not strong anymore. I've been jealous of you since we met, really. How you have parents, and how they seem to actually care for you. Me? I only have my mother, and she hardly even seems to notice me when I'm right here. I never knew my father."

"Is that why you always fight? Because your parents don't care about you?"

"It covered the pain, it helped me forget the emptiness with a rush. First with the cards, then with Renamon." Ruki had closed her eyes by now, and was thinking back. "I remember the first time I played the Card Battle game... I beat my neighbor, and the rush just made me feel like something mattered, for once in my life. He was in tears, but I was so happy that nothing could really describe it, except maybe the word ecstasy."

"Look, Ruki, I'm here to help you get through this," Takato said, looking at her. "I mean, Hirokazu and Kenta would kick me out of the club for sure if they heard this, but I really like you. I care about what you're going through."

"So, I have two people who really care," Ruki said, opening her eyes. "You're sweet goggle boy. I guess I should have known that you could care, after all, you're parents care, so why shouldn't you?"

"Well, I never really thought of it that way," he said. "But, Ruki, I don't just like you, I like who you are, I like how you push yourself. I guess I really admire that part of you. I mean, you really do know what you're doing when you're out battling, that's when you're in your element, Ruki."

"Just shut up, Takato," Ruki said, pushing herself up. "Mom surrounds herself with men, like she wants to forget about my father. But for once, I want to see someone who really cares, and feel what it's like to know they're there, Takato. Takato, I want you to be there for me, when I need someone to lean on. Will you do that?"

"Well, yeah, I mean, I don't think I could live with myself if I refused," he said, looking at her again. He saw the deep violet of her eyes, and it pierced him to the bone. "But of course I can do that, Ruki. Of course."

"Well then, let's do something about it," she said, pulling him close. "Let's promise each other that if we need help, we can turn to the other. That way, neither of us has to feel weak again."

Ruki was feeling powerful now, especially seeing how Takato seemed to like her strong self. "And if you agree," she said, grinning at him. "Just let me have this moment." She leaned in and kissed him, just a quick kiss, then pulled back, and looked in his eyes. "And maybe later we can do more than that quick kiss," she said, smiling at Takato.

"As long as you don't start getting soft on me," Takato said, chuckling. "I'll always be here to help. But keep strong, for my sake."

Ruki was very happy about this turn of events. "Of course, my little Taka-chan," she said. "Of course. And no going easy in battles either. After all, goggle boy, all's fair in love and war. And we have both to look forward to."

~ Finis -- for now ~