Doctor Who Fan Fiction ❯ Dr Who - What If ❯ Memorials & Marriages ( Chapter 12 )

[ A - All Readers ]

Rose watched the Doctor run around the corner into Leadworth village. What was he up to? And why shouldn't she talk to the vicar? She turned back to the group of people who were standing around the war memorial. There were cadets, serving soldiers, and the veterans, all chatting and exchanging stories.

 

Timothy Latimer looked at her and smiled, and she wandered over to say hello. `Hiya Tim. Howya doin'?' she said, as she leaned forward to kiss his cheek.

 

`Hello Rose. It's really true; they shall grow not old, as we that are left grow old. Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn,' he quoted from the ode of remembrance. `I can't believe it's been nearly eighty years. You haven't aged a day.'

 

She leaned forward and spoke in a conspiratorial whisper. `I haven't even aged an hour.'

 

He gasped in amazement. `I knew the Doctor was a Time Lord, but to actually see it . . . to live a lifetime, and see you as you were that day . . . it's incredible.'

 

Rose smiled at him. `Yeah, I know. It gives me a buzz every time we do it.'

 

`And where is the Doctor?' Tim asked, looking past her across the green.

 

`Oh, he said he had to go an' arrange somethin'. He was bein' all mysterious and secretive as usual.'

 

Tim raised his eyebrows in realisation and smiled. `Ah, so that's when he does it.'

 

`Does what?' asked Rose with a frown. What was going on?

 

`Does the thing he's gone off to do,' he replied cryptically.

 

`Oh you're as bad as `im,' she said with a smile. She thought she could hear the muffled sound of the TARDIS somewhere in the distance.

 

`He told me that you trust him. That you always have, and that you always will. I think your trust is well founded, so keep the faith and your dreams will come true.'

 

The vicar came over to Rose and held out her hand. `Hello Rose. It's lovely to meet you at last.'

 

`Hello,' she said shaking her hand. A frown seemed to be a permanent fixture on her face. `Do I know you?'

 

`Oh no. Of course, you don't know yet do you? Sorry, just forget I said anything. The Doctor will be here any minute . . . in fact, here he comes now.'

 

The Doctor approached from the direction of the church, opposite to the direction he had left. He came bounding across the green, all full of energy and excitement.

 

`Rose, I'm back!' he said with a wave. `Can I have a word? We've got things to discuss.' He held her elbow and guided her over to the war memorial.

 

They sat on the stone slab in front which contained the inscription of the names of the fallen in the wars. He looked up at the statues, a mother with a shield, her fallen son to her left, a fallen villager to her right.

 

`Of all the places it could have been, I never thought it would be at a symbol of conflict and war,' he said mysteriously.

 

`Thought what would be?' She reached out and held his hand. `Doctor, what's goin' on?'

 

He turned his gaze from the statues to her and smiled. `There again, they're also a symbol of peace, fortitude and hope . . . I like hope.'

 

`Doctor?'

 

`Eh? Oh, what's going on? Well, a while ago you asked me where it would be, and whether it would be romantic. And there was another question you asked which I can answer now, if you'll answer mine.'

 

Rose was trying to work out what he was on about. “Where what would be romantic?” she thought to herself, when he slid off the stone slab and knelt on one knee in front of her, holding her hands.

 

`Whatcha doin'?' she asked in surprise.

 

`Rose Marion Tyler, you have been incredibly patient with me, and so understanding. Even when I didn't deserve it. Unfortunately, it took a bout of being human, and you opening your heart to that human, for me to realise what I've got, and a vision in a watch to realise what I could have.'

 

`Oh my God . . . is this what I think it is?'

 

He reached into his jacket pocket and took out a small red case. He flipped it open to reveal a fabulous diamond ring. `Rose . . . will you marry me . . . now, today, in that church over there?'

 

She sat on the slab, open mouthed and dumbstruck. Surely this wasn't happening. She was dreaming, it was another vision somehow.

 

The Doctor was looking at her worriedly, muttering under his breath. `Please say yes. Please say yes. Please say yes. Please say yes.'

 

She looked over to the group of people on the other side of the green, all looking at them expectantly. Tim smiled at her knowingly and nodded. The vicar had her hands held together in front of her, nervously biting her knuckle in anticipation.

 

She looked back down into the deep, ancient, cute, puppy dog eyes. `Wellll, I'd like to marry you today, in that church. But it don't work like that, except in films an' stuff. There's the Banns to be read an' stuff an' . . . everythin'.'

 

He gave her that look, the one where she had dribbled down her smart jacket. `I'm a Time Lord . . . I have a time machine. It's all sorted . . . if you want.'

 

Tears started to trickle down her cheeks. `Yes!' she whispered. `Oh I want. I SO want this! Doctor, yes, I'll marry you!'

 

He gave her the most enormous, joyous grin she had ever seen on his face. He slid the ring on her finger and stood up. She was already on her feet, and he lifted her high into the air, wrapping his arms around her thighs and turning circles, slowly lowering her down into a passionate kiss.

 

The crowd on the green cheered and applauded, as the Doctor shouted. `Yes! Yes! Yes!'

 

The vicar walked over to them. `I take it she said yes then?' Just wanting to confirm that her assumption was correct.

 

The Doctor could hardly speak. `Oh yes, Margaret. Definitely. Absolutely.'

 

`Oh good. I'm so pleased. He wasn't sure you know,' Margaret told Rose. `I've never seen someone so nervous about asking the question. You'd have thought his life depended on it. Anyway can't stand here gossiping, I've got a service to prepare.' She hurried off across the green, and took the group with her towards the church.

 

`But Doctor, what about a dress, bridesmaids, and all that?'

 

He waggled his eyebrows. `Sorted.' He took her hand, and led her towards the church.

 

At the church, Rose stepped through the arched, stone doorway into the cool exterior, and was immediately enveloped in a squealing hug from her two best friends.

 

`Shareen, Keisha, what are you doin' here?'

 

`We're your bridesmaids of course, you numpty. why'd ya think we're dressed like this?' Shareen said, holding her arms out to indicate the peach dresses they were wearing.

 

`You look brilliant. I can't believe this is happenin'.'

 

`Believe it girlfriend,' Keisha said. `That bloke of yours is a diamond geeza. If you ever let him go, I'm havin' him myself. He's arranged everythin','

 

`But what about a dress? I can't get married in a jacket and trousers.'

 

Shareen laughed. `Get used to this word; you'll hear it a lot today. Sorted. It's in the vestry, with the hair curlers and your bouquet.'

 

Rose started to cry. `Hey, hey,' her friends said, wrapping their arms around her shoulders. `Don't cry, this is supposed to be the happiest day of your life,' Shareen told her.

 

`I am happyyy,' she wailed. `It's just that mum and dad aren't here, and I've got no one to give me away.' (sob)

 

`You've really got to trust that man of yours more! It's sorted. He's shipped in a load of people he said you'd be pleased to see. And the old guy over there in fancy dress is waiting to give you away. I think the Doctor said his name is Charlie.'

 

Rose wiped her eyes, and leaned to the side to look past her friends. Sitting in a pew at the back of the church was a man in Victorian clothing. He stood up and gave her a nervous smile.

 

`Charles!' She ran over, and gave Charles Dickens a hug. `Oh thank you, thank you.'

 

`Oh, I say,' he stuttered as he awkwardly patted her back. `I think I could get used to this modern behaviour.'

 

Rose let him go from the hug and held his hands. `Thank you SO much for doin' this. You don't know what it means to me.'

 

`My dear girl. How could I refuse when that strange man with the unruly hair, stepped out of the Doctor's shed and told me who he was and what he proposed to do?' He nodded sideways towards the back of the church.

 

Rose looked, and there at the entrance to the nave, next to the stone font, was the Doctor's shed. The Doctor was leaning against it with his arms and legs crossed, and a contented smile on his face. She blew him a kiss and mouthed “thank you” to him. He gave her a cocky wink in reply.

 

`Rose,' Shareen called to her. `We need to get you into that dress and get your hair done.'

 

`Comin'.'

 

They led her to the vestry, and opened the door for her to enter. Hanging on a shelf opposite, was her wedding dress. She gasped, and tears started to well in her eyes again. It was beautiful, all silk and lace and pearls, with a lace up bodice.

 

`C'mon kid, we've gotta squeeze ya into this little number,' Keisha said with a smirk.

 

Rose stripped off, and put on the clean pair of pale blue knickers that were on the chair. `Gotta have somethin' blue, girl,' Shareen told her. Her bridesmaids helped her to put on the white basque, and laced her into it. She put on the stockings, and a garter borrowed from Keisha. She didn't go into the details of why Keisha had a sexy, white leather garter. She then put on the white, ankle high boots, before putting on the dress. Finally, she sat at the desk, while Keisha styled her hair into loose curls, and Shareen did her makeup.

 

The Doctor went to his suite of rooms in the TARDIS, and took his Gallifreyan clothing out of the wardrobe. He took a deep breath and sighed, he had not worn these clothes in a long, long, long time. He put on the traditional deep red trousers and tunic, over which he wore an open coat of the same colour with a wide golden border inscribed with Gallifreyan writing.

 

He stood in front of the full length mirror, and turned to the left and the right, checking his profile. He leaned forward, sniffed and rubbed his chin. `Yep! You'll do.'

 

He left the TARDIS, and went into the church to chat to the guests. Eventually, the vicar came up to him and asked him to take his seat at the front of the church, as they would be starting soon.

 

Shareen came out of the vestry and went to Charles to ask him to come and fetch Rose. She liked Charles, he was so old fashioned and sweet, a real gentleman.

 

`Oh my word! What a vision of beauty my eyes behold!' he said. Rose beamed a smile at him that lit up the room.

 

`Don'tcha just love the way he talks?' Shareen said.

 

He held his arm out for her. `Are you ready my dear?'

 

`Oh yes!' She took his arm and walked out of the vestry.

 

Mendelssohn's Wedding March started up on the church organ, expertly played by the man himself. The Doctor had asked Jakob Ludwig Felix Mendelssohn Bartholdy if he would mind showing them how it should be played.

 

As Rose walked slowly towards the altar, Charles leaned towards her slightly. `I have to ask you Rose. That man you are marrying, is he really the Doctor? Because I have to say, not only does he not look like the Doctor I met in Cardiff, he doesn't seem as rude or abrupt.'

 

Rose laughed quietly. `Yer got that right Charles, but he is definitely the same man. He's more at peace with himself these days.'

 

`But how is it that a man can change his visage so.'

 

Rose smiled at him. `He sort of had an accident. It's complicated.'

 

The Doctor looked over his shoulder, and his breath caught in his chest. He couldn't believe the vision of beauty that was slowly coming towards him. She came alongside and gave him a big grin.

 

`Hiya,' she said with a saucy wink.

 

`Hi yourself,' he replied. `You look beautiful.'

 

`Considerin' I'm human, I know.'

 

`You're not going to let me forget that, are you?'

 

`Dearly beloved, we are gathered together here in the sight of God, and in the face of this Congregation, to join together this man and this woman in holy Matrimony . . .' Margaret started.

 

She proceeded through the marriage service in the usual format. `Doctor, will you take Rose Marion to be your wife? Will you love her, comfort her, honour and protect her, and, forsaking all others, be faithful to her as long as you both shall live?'

 

He gazed lovingly into her eyes. `I will.'

 

`Rose Marion, will you take the Doctor to be your husband? Will you love him, comfort him, honour and protect him, and, forsaking all others, be faithful to him as long as you both shall live?'

 

Rose grinned at him. `I will.'

 

`Who gives this woman to be married to this man?' Charles stepped forwards and proudly passed Rose's hand to Margaret. It was at this point that she went a bit off script. She took an ornately embroidered strip of golden cloth and wrapped it around Rose's hand and she held it out towards the Doctor. He took the end of the cloth and wrapped it around his own hand.

 

`Who speaks for the bride?' Margaret asked.

 

A short, dark haired woman in the first row of seats stood up behind Rose and spoke. `I consent and gladly give.'

 

That voice! Rose knew that voice. She turned quickly and saw the smiling face of Sarah Jane Smith. She gasped back tears. `Sarah Jane?! I, I . . .' Sarah Jane nodded at her and sat down.

 

`Who speaks for the groom?' Margaret continued.

 

Rose's eyes went wide when a bearded man in Elizabethan clothing stood and winked at her. `I consent and gladly give,' he said with a theatrical flourish and a bow.

 

The Doctor and Rose exchanged vows, promising to hold each other for better, for worse, for richer, for poorer, in sickness and in health, to love and to cherish. When the Doctor got to the next part, there was the briefest of hesitations that only Rose and Sarah Jane noticed. Till death us do part, had more significance to a Time Lord than any human.

 

And, according to God's holy law, in the presence of God, they made those vows.

 

`The couple shall now exchange rings,' the vicar announced, and Rose suddenly realised that the Doctor didn't have a best man.

 

She smiled and thought “sorted”, as Tim was wheeled towards them with two ring cases on his lap. He took out two, plain gold rings and placed them on the deep red cushion.

 

They exchanged rings, and Rose could see a Gallifreyan symbol engraved on it. She made a mental note to ask the Doctor what it meant.

 

`Those whom God hath joined together let no man put asunder,' Margaret said, and then went back to the Gallifreyan ceremony. `The groom will now exchange that which no other may know.'

 

Rose looked puzzled, as the Doctor leaned forward and whispered in her ear. It sounded alien, a kind of mix of Gaelic, Cantonese and any other sing song language.

 

`What was that?' she whispered.

 

`My Gallifeyan name. There are only two people in the whole universe who know it, and one of them is you.'

 

The significance of what he had just given her was not lost on her. It was his most precious and valuable gift he could give her, and she treasured it. Giving her his true name showed her that he trusted her with it, now and forever.

 

`You may now kiss, husband and wife,' Margaret said with a smile.

 

The Doctor took the tip of her chin gently in his thumb and forefinger and tilted her head back slightly. His lips gently brushed hers, and retreated slightly without breaking contact. They applied slightly more pressure and he tilted his head to the side. His hands cupped her face as his lips applied a little more pressure. Rose ran her hands through his oh, so great hair. The kiss was chaste, pure, sensual and erotic all at the same time. No one was quite sure how they achieved it, but it was a fantastic snog.

 

The congregation started to applaud, as once again, time stood still for Rose, and her universe consisted of just her and her true love, her husband, the Doctor.

 

Margaret cleared her throat and spoke to the congregation. `Just chat amongst yourselves for a while. We just have the small matter of a licence to sign. Back soon.

 

Jakob Ludwig Felix Mendelssohn Bartholdy started playing some of his popular tunes, while Margaret took the Doctor and Rose to a table in the transept of the church. There was a hubbub of muted conversations as people chatted about the most unusual wedding they had ever been to.

 

Soon, the license was signed and filed safely away in the Doctor's pocket. Margaret stood in front of the altar and spread her arms out. 'Ladies and gentlemen, please be upstanding for . . .' She looked at Rose, as if wanting final confirmation of what she was about to say. Rose nodded with her tongue poking out between her teeth. `The Doctor, and his good lady wife, the Mistress Rose.'

 

Will Shakespeare leaped to his feet and roared his approval. `Oh bravo my friends, bravo.' His wife Anne stood beside him and applauded. She had a lot to thank Mistress Rose for, having told her wayward husband in no uncertain terms that he had taken a sacred vow that, forsaking all other, he would keep himself only unto her, so long as they both shall live.

 

His fame and notoriety had gone to his head, and it had gotten too big for his shoulders. He fancied himself as a ladies man when he stayed in London, and it took a young slip of a girl, with strong moral fibre to bring him down to earth. And Will knew it, and he too was grateful to that young slip of a girl.

 

`Bravo indeed,' Dickens said as he applauded.

 

Sarah Jane was standing next to him and she said, `well done Rose, well done.'

 

`Have you known them long,' Charles asked her.

 

`The Doctor I've known for years. Rose I only met recently, but I knew when I first met her that he'd more than met his match. Oh, Sarah Jane Smith by the way.'

 

Charles shook her offered hand. `Charles Dickens; pleased to meet you.'

 

`Really? THE Charles Dickens?'

 

`Well, yes. I suppose I am THE Charles Dickens; however there must be many people with that name.'

 

`But none as talented, or as modest.' They watched the happy couple walk down the nave of the church.

 

`But tell me, my dear lady,' he waved his fingers in front of his face. `Does the Doctor change his face and persona often?'

 

Sarah Jane laughed. `He's done it to you as well has he? No, I don't think he makes a habit of it.'

 

Charles frowned in thought. `Hmmm. Mind you, I suppose it will make for an interesting marriage.' Sarah Jane laughed again and took his arm to follow her friends.

 

The Doctor and Rose walked outside into bright morning sunshine, as the bells rang out in celebration. They kissed, and felt a thrilling shiver down their spines as one of the visions they had shared became a fixed point in history.

 

`You managed to hook him then Sweetie,' a trill, Brooklyn accent said from behind them. Rose turned to see a petite, platinum blonde, in a 1920's style beaded dress.

 

`Tallulah! Hah!' Rose grabbed her into a hug. `How are ya? Thank you for bein' here.'

 

`Oh I wouldn't have missed this for all the bagels in Manhattan. And I kinda got the jump on you,' she said, holding up her left hand and wiggling her fingers to show her a gold ring.

 

Rose squealed with delight and hugged her again. `Congratulations.' She looked around hesitantly. `And where is the lucky man?'

 

A handsome hunk stepped to Tallulah's side and put his arm around her shoulders. `Hello Rose. Congratulations yourself. You've got yourself one hell of a guy there.'

 

`Oh my God! Laszlo, you're face.' He was no longer a pig-like mutant; he was a normal, very handsome man.

 

'Yeah, I know. When the Doctor invited us to your wedding, he took us to this special, swanky hospital. I didn't believe it at first, thought it was a Halloween stunt. Y'know, trick or treat with all the nurses wearing cat masks an' all. But I gotta tell ya, they fixed me up good. And it didn't cost a dime, said the Doctor had called in a debt.'

 

Rose looked over to her husband, who was talking to some of the cadets and veterans. He looked over to her and smiled, seeing the loving look that she was giving him.

 

They mingled with the guests, giving out thanks for them coming, and receiving good wishes for their future. Rose put her arm through the Doctor's. `I never thought to ask, are you okay with a human religious ceremony?'

 

`Oh yeah. I mean, I've never met the big guy, but he seems a decent enough sort. Were you all right with the Gallifreyan part?'

 

Rose laughed at him calling God “the big guy”. `Are you kiddin'? It was perfect. I loved it.' She looked around the guests, seeing her best friend Shareen chatting up Charles Dickens, and Sarah Jane talking to Will Shakespeare and his wife.

 

`How is it?' she asked with a frown. `That all these people from different time periods, can be here in this one place at this one time?'

 

`Ooh, there you go again, asking all the right questions. The TARDIS has time locked the church. Through the lychgate over there, it's just after eleven o'clock, Sunday, November 11th, 1990. Inside the grounds of the church, it's any time you want it to be.' His eyes held a sad look. `And I did try to get your mum here, and Jack, but their time lines were too intricately woven into ours.'

 

She kissed his cheek. `Thank you for tryin'.'

 

After posing for three dimensional photos, taken by an award winning photographer from the 22nd century, the Doctor called for everyone's attention. `Right you lot. The receptions back at our place, with a party and free bar afterwards.'

 

There was a cheer, and they led everyone back into the church, to the doors of the TARDIS. The Doctor opened both the doors, and Rose was about to walk in.

 

`Where do you think you're going?' he asked her.

 

`Into the TARDIS. Why?'

 

`Oh no you're not. You Mrs. Lungbarrowmas, are going into our home. And I believe there is a very human tradition which we have to observe.' She squealed with surprise, as he scooped her up and carried her over the threshold of the TARDIS.

 

He carried her through the console room, with gasps of surprise behind them from members of the remembrance service, who hadn't been in there before. They led them down a few corridors, to a set of double doors which opened into a large banqueting hall.

 

`It's all informal,' the Doctor told them. `Sit where you like, but I'm afraid you'll have to help yourselves to your meals from the replicators, `cos we've got no serving staff.'

 

Some of the cadets had a quick conference, and a young man stepped forward. `We'll do it sir.'

 

The Doctor looked at him. `What?'

 

`We'll do it sir. It would be an honour to serve yourself, your wife, and especially the veterans. It's sort of what remembrance Sunday is all about, isn't it. Respecting the men and women who gave their all for us.'

 

`Oh, that's so sweet of you,' Rose said.

 

The Doctor smiled at the cadets. `You are a credit to those uniforms. Thank you.'

 

They had their meal, followed by speeches that were funny, poignant, and thought provoking. There was a cake for them to cut, which had been made as a special favour to the Doctor by Peggy Porschen. Once that was all done, they made their way through to another room, which was a ballroom, complete with holographic, virtual live band connected to a jukebox type machine.

 

The traditional first dance for the married couple was an easy choice, as Rose selected a track from the Glenn Miller catalogue. “In the Mood” started playing, and the Doctor led Rose onto the dance floor. The guests started to clap to the rhythm as the couple started to jive.

 

After the first dance was over, everyone was on the dance floor, and the virtual band started their playlist. Rose couldn't believe what she was seeing half the time. Shareen was teaching Dickens how to do the bump; Whilst Keisha had Shakespeare doing the lambada, with his wife looking on in disapproval. And later, Tallulah and Laszlo taught everyone how to do the Charleston properly.

 

All too soon, the celebration came to an end, and “Moonlight Serenade” signalled the last dance. Rose draped her arms around the Doctor's neck as he held her close around the waist, swaying to the rhythm of the music. Will and his wife Ann, Tallulah and Laszlo, Sarah Jane and Charles, Shareen, Keisha, and a couple of fit squaddies, all enjoyed the last dance before it was time to go.

 

When the music had finished, the Doctor and Rose led Margaret and the inhabitants of Leadworth back through the console room to the doors. `Thank you Margaret for agreeing to all this, and thank you all for coming,' the Doctor said as he opened the doors.

 

`You are most welcome, Doctor. May you both have a long and happy marriage.'

 

`Thank you,' Rose said, kissing her on the cheek.

 

`Tim-Timothy-Tim-ah,' the Doctor said, shaking Latimer's hand. `Thank you, best man. For now, and then.'

 

Rose stooped down and kissed him on the cheek. `Thanks Tim.'

 

`My pleasure. Now and then,' he said with a mischievous smile.

 

`Now. You all might get a bit jet lagged when you go outside. It will still be just after eleven in the morning, so you might need an afternoon nap to catch up.'

 

Once the Leadworth people had left, he started up the Time Rotor, and they started to deliver the special guests back to their respective times.

 

The last stop was the park near Bannerman Road. Sarah Jane gave them both a long, affectionate hug. `I could tell there was something special between you two when I first saw you together in that school.'

 

`I wish you'd have told him that,' Rose said with a laugh. `Could have saved a lot of time and effort.'

 

`Oh, but half the fun is in the chase, and I must admit, I didn't see this coming.' She turned to the Doctor and held his hand. `You've changed, and I don't just mean your face. When I knew you before, you would never have contemplated anything like this. But now, somehow, you seem more human, or less alien at least.'

 

`Losing your home can do that to you,' he said sadly. `Gallifrey is gone, lost in a war with the Daleks.'

 

She put a hand to her mouth and gasped. `I had no idea. That's awful, I'm so sorry.'

 

`Yeah, well, it's done now, and Rose helped me to come to terms with it, and now, here we are.'

 

`Yes, here you both are,' Sarah Jane agreed. `A whole new big adventure ahead of you . . . Good luck.'

 

They all had tears in their eyes as they hugged for one last time, before Sarah Jane turned and left the TARDIS.

 

Hand in hand, they walked back up the ramp to the console, where he put the TARDIS into the Vortex. `So, Mistress Rose,' he started hesitantly. `Er, there's one tradition left.'

 

He was being uncharacteristically hesitant, and Rose suspected she knew why, but she couldn't resist teasing him. `And which one would that be then?' she asked with a sultry voice.

 

He blushed. He actually blushed. `Ah, er, um, well . . . I mean, we've only just started kissing, and, well, we can skip it if you want. I mean it's not a rule or anything, not the law. It's just a silly tradition.'

 

She moved in front of him, her back against the console, slowly rubbing her body up against his. `I don't know, I kinda like traditions. I mean, we've already observed so many of them today, you even carried me over the threshold.'

 

`Well, yeah, I know . . .'

 

`An' I'm wearin' somethin' old.' She flicked her earrings. `These were Mum's, from the flat. I'm wearin' somethin' new.' She stroked her hands seductively down her dress, before sitting on the console and resting her right leg across the edge.

 

She slowly pulled the hem of her dress above her knee to reveal Keisha's garter. `That's borrowed,' she told him. She stood up and wrapped her arms around his neck and kissed him on the lips. `I'm gonna let ya find out what I'm wearin' that's blue,' she whispered in his ear.

 

The Doctor cleared his throat. `So you're okay with that tradition then?' he asked, running his hands down her waist and hips.

 

`If it's the tradition I'm thinkin' of, my husband . . . then we are not goin' to get much sleep tonight.' She took his hand and led him out of the console room. `Y'know, I love the sound of that, “my husband”. I am never gonna get tired of sayin' it.'