Dragon Ball/Z/GT Fan Fiction ❯ Chinks in the Armor ❯ A Visit to the Doctor ( Chapter 9 )

[ Y - Young Adult: Not suitable for readers under 16 ]

Sorry to take so long with this latest update. My mind works in strange ways because it jumped ahead two years to the androids. Yet I've done my best to pull it back to Bulma's pregnancy and try and fill in the time gap. After all this is a three years fic!
 
 
Chinks in the Armor
 
Expectant Mothersand Absentee Fathers
***
 
In the days that followed, Bulma found herself busy laying plans. While she was the rising VP of capsule, she also ended up making clandestine deals in the way of bomb shelters and new defensive uses for Dr. Polly Carbonate's plastic. Fear filled her often times, and she dreaded what the repercussions of her pregnancy would be. Today she had arranged for an appointment with her gyn but instead of driving right to the clinic she insisted on a shortcut. Unfortunately the shortcut had turned into a long circuitous route that convinced her friend Polly Bulma was dodging the appointment entirely.
 
"What should I do?" she whispered.
 
"Don't you trust this doctor?" Polly asked as they rode through the city in Bulma's car.
 
"I… think so. She's Dr. Iodine. She's prescribed my birth control pills since I was sixteen. I can't help but think my mom wouldn't care who the dad was as long as she has a grandkid. But my dad…"
 
"All right, here's what you can do. You can try and go someplace on a long trip and make up a cover story. Sooner or later you can't hide this. You're a grown woman, Bulma with your own destiny. There are lots of single mothers who use artificial insemination to get pregnant. Let the press think it's that if that sex partner of yours Doesn't come back."
 
"He said he would," said she. "And he spoke like he expected this baby would be born."
 
"That's a start," Polly nodded. "Now, let's get you to a doctor and get a sonogram and see if it's healthy."
 
"But he's a Saiyan…"
 
"So, if Dr. Iodine knows what's good for her she'll keep her trap shut. You're NOT going to get a coathanger to this are you?"
 
"No! But what kind of a mother can I possibly be?" she asked.
 
"As good as you can if you want this baby. And the father by the sound of it wants the kid or he wouldn't have acknowledged you were pregnant. He can sense ki you said, so he must have wanted it, right?" Polly Carbonate said logically. Relief filled Bulma's empty soul, and she felt as if this woman were a much needed anchor in the whirlpool her life was becoming.
 
"Here we are," Bulma said, pulling up to the small unobtrusive clinic.
 
"You can do this. You're not alone," said Polly, reaching for Bulma's hand. Bulma gave it a squeeze and smiled with watery eyes. Then she released her hand so they could both unclip their seatbelts and exit the car. Drawing in her breath sharply Bulma strode forwards through the parking garage with her friend at her side. Seeing Bulma's legs stud with goose pimples and her slowing gait, Dr. Carbonate slung an arm around her shaking shoulders.
 
"One step at a time. C'mon you're Bulma Briefs, remember?" she urged. Bulma nodded and let herself be dragged along by the slightly older woman. She guessed Dr. Carbonate was barely thirty.
 
"How do you manage a kid and a full time job?"
 
"I have a nanny and daycare. But the father DOES show some interest. Even though we're not 'together' he still takes the baby on weekends. And he DOES pay child support. But since your kid's father is an alien prince I don't know if you'd have to worry about that," said she. Bulma laughed nervously, feeling the knot in her stomach lessening.
 
"No court will want to even TOUCH this custody agreement," said she.
 
"Are you sure that you don't want to tell your parents now? It's not like they can…"
 
"They can disinherit me," she mumbled. "And the scandal… my dad's old fashioned."
 
"What a load of bullshit. Well let's take this one step at a time. Mind the step," she said. Fortunately they were soon sitting in the waiting room of the clinic. Bulma thumbed through the magazine nervously while Polly checked her watch. Then they let the receptionist admit them to the clinic. Along with other mothers and families they were in good company.
***
 
"So is this your first?" asked the nurse, taking Bulma's temperature.
 
"Yes," Bulma said.
 
"You two must be very happy," said she, glancing at Dr. Carbonate. Bulma blinked.
 
"Oh no… we're not a couple. I'm just bringing her here," Polly laughed with a wave of her hand.
 
Bulma's blue eyes widened and she whispered, " what the hell was that about?"
 
"Obviously she thinks that you and I must be lesbian lovers having a kid. Don't sweat it. That shows you how open minded the people at this clinic are. I'd say it was a good sign," said she.
 
"Is everything confidential?" Bulma whispered.
 
"Of course. Sorry about the confusion. I just started here two months ago," the nurses aid apologized, blushing. The slight bulge at her abdomen gave Bulma some reassurance that someone else was facing the same immediate concerns though further along.
 
"She's just not used to the idea of… being a mother," Dr. Carbonate said.
 
"I'm scared to death," whispered Bulma with wide eyes. "I feel sick."
 
"Here, let me get you to lay down on the examining table. Then I'll get the GYN to look at you, Miss," said the nurse assistant. With Dr. Carbonate's help they walked Bulma into the nearest examining room. Wax paper crackled under Bulma's backside when they helped her sit on the table. Dr. Carbonate physically helped lift the smaller woman in her arms to the nurse aid's appreciation.
 
"If you'll lay back I'll get you something. And if you're feeling up to it, make sure she puts this on," said the aid.
 
"Remind me to complain," Bulma groaned, pressing her hand to her mouth. Polly smoothed her hair from her forehead.
 
"Easy, relax," she said quietly. Shaking her head she glared up at the ceiling as if to confront the absent father light years away in space.
***
An ultrasound technician soon slathered gel over Bulma's belly. She tried not to squeal with laughter at the smooth probe gliding over back and forth. In the small wedge of sound they saw odd shapes that the tech tried her best to decipher. Into view swam a small empty oval, which the tech pointed to.
 
"It's one sac. Looks like you're a few weeks along all right! Congratulations, you're a mother, Miss Briefs," said the tech.
 
"Remember no reporters get wind of this or its you're job!" said Bulma angrily.
 
"Of course not!" said the tech.
 
"Easy Bulma," said Polly, sitting with her arms folded across her chest. Her eyes softened at the sight of the amniotic sac and a small shape inside jarring into view then slipping out as the tech tapped keys and froze the frame.
 
"It's so small, I can't see it," Bulma said.
 
"Let her hear the heartbeat if she can," said Dr. Carbonate. Nodding the tech waved for the other nursing tech to grab a small handheld Doppler. Seconds later Bulma's heart pounded at the sound of the monitor, and a fast whooshing noise.
 
"A heartbeat?" Bulma blinked, looking down at her belly. She only had a slight pooch on her normally flat toned abdomen.
 
"That's it, very strong. Looks like you were twelve weeks along instead of eight. You remember…" Dr. Iodine asked.
 
"I do," Bulma said quickly. "And so does the father. But he's not available."
 
"Well we can give you some helpful literature and a prescription for prenatal that will help. And of course the blood tests will show us more information. But don't hesitate to schedule your next visit. And don't worry. We'll be discrete, Bulma," said Dr. Iodine.
 
"My parents don't know. And I don't WANT them to know," Bulma swallowed hard.
 
"Understood," the doctor nodded. She motioned for the techs to pack up the ultrasound, and then a small clicking noise was heard followed by the hiss of a printer.
 
"What's that?" Bulma panicked.
 
"Would you like a picture of your baby, miss?" asked the technician. "I know it's small, but sometimes it helps to relate…"
 
She passed the picture to Bulma, and she swallowed hard to see the small shadows showing the sack and something not much larger. Nevertheless Bulma's throat choked and she felt some sense of relief. It was a real live baby, and not an abstract concept any longer. Hearing that heartbeat had made her son a reality she could finally accept.
 
"My son," she murmured, laughing almost hysterically as she felt herself pass out on the exam table.
 
"Ms. Briefs!" the tech groaned.
 
"Bulma," breathed Polly sharply.
 
"Don't worry, we'll take care of her. If necessary we can admit her to a hospital for observation," said Dr. Iodine.
 
"You don't get it. The child's father… is not a NORMAL person. Any tests you get results from, if they are anomalous, you can't let anyone know," said Dr. Carbonate as she gave Dr. Iodine a meaningful look.
 
"Is the father… a Reclassified?" asked her with a voice in a whisper.
 
"You could say that. He's not anything like an ordinary human if that's what you mean," said Dr. Carbonate.
 
"Ah, I see. Don't worry. I see that you know more about this sort of thing then you let on. Fair enough. I'll recommend someone with experience with Reclassified and their families," said she.
 
Reclassified was a label for someone who had been genetically altered during any experiment by anyone associated with the Red Ribbon Army or other illegal genetic research. King Furry's provision had granted amnesty and anonymity to any anomalous alterations of nature. This included those many would call 'freaks'. While sentient animals were common, there were a preponderance of mutants from the labs of Dr. Minos and ones like the lost Dr. Cochin and Dr. Uiro. The unholy trinity of genetic researchers had produced many a bio warrior that only wished to live under a new identity. Medical treatment for such bio or genetic refugees was handled under Provision 51.
 
Dr. Iodine scribbled down a number and showed it to the scientist. As Bulma muzzle came around she blinked up in shock to see the two women talking seriously in hushed voices. "What's going on?"
 
"Ms. Briefs, I'm simply giving you the name of a physician who can handle Provision 51 cases such as yours," said she.
 
"P… provision 51?" Bulma stammered.
 
"It's okay, they're on our side, Bulma. They won't breathe a word to anyone. And you'll get the best care this world can offer," Dr. Polly Carbonate whispered. Bulma nodded gratefully, and took the folded bit of paper offered.
 
"don't worry. You're in good hands with this doctor," Iodine nodded. She slipped out, leaving both women alone in the exam room.
 
"I'll leave so you can get dressed Bulma," said Polly. She squeezed her friend's shaking hand. Bulma nodded weakly and sat alone in the sterile room. Burying her head in her hands she felt the tears leak down her cheeks.
 
"Damn you Vegeta," she whispered to none in particular. Already under Provision 51 she was relegated to a code of silence that would forever raise the eyebrows of any of her Z warrior friends. Some of them had received treatment in such centers. Nevertheless the unspoken code among society would wonder why she was being so evasive. Sooner or later Yamcha would pry, and her other friends.