Dragon Ball/Z/GT Fan Fiction ❯ Chinks in the Armor ❯ Facing the Facts ( Chapter 13 )

[ Y - Young Adult: Not suitable for readers under 16 ]

Disclaimer: I don't own Dragon Ball Z, it belongs to Toei Animation Co. Ltd. and was created by Akira Toriyama. However the Oc's Bakelite, Polly Carbonate, Curie, Infrared and Melmac are mine as is the plot of this fan fiction. It means no harm to the awesome anime and manga! I make no money from this!
Chinks in the Armor
Facing Facts
Out in the lobby Dr. Briefs sulked silently. Seated across from Yamcha he said nothing to the young Z warrior who cupped his own hands around a small mug of expresso. Down into the cup the former desert hyena peered, seeking desperately the reasons for what had just transpired. If only Bulma had told him what was going on he could have helped her.
"You know how it is. Once Bulma's made up her mind, Kami help anyone who gets in her way," Yamcha said.
"You think I don't know my own daughter, young man!" griped Dr. Briefs, narrowing blue eyes behind his thick glasses. Due to the strength of his prescription they magnified his eyes to the dimensions of an intent owl rather then an absent minded professor.
Yamcha however would not be intimidated by someone he knew for the last ten years. After all, he had lived a good amount of his life at Capsule as Bulma's on and off again boyfriend. Only months ago he had disappeared into his desert retreat to train for the androids with the help of Puar. Unfortunately the last time he had seen Bulma face to face he knew something was up when she threw the flowers back in his face. Had his suspicions been true? Yet Yamcha only needed to look at the boy once to know it wasn't his.
How it hurt. Yet his affection and love for Bulma melted any desire for revenge. All he ever wanted was to make her happy. Now was his chance to be her hero; the charming man who would sweep her off her feet and tell her everything was all right. Then he snapped his attention to the matter at hand: convincing an angry father that he would take care of Bulma's future. Most likely they had no clue who the father was.
So drawing in a starting breath he coughed, "Dr. Briefs, sir. You don't need to worry about Bulma. I mean she's in good hands."
"She's a big girl. And she seems to have made it VERY clear she doesn't need Daddy to bail her out!" Dr. Briefs lamented. He swallowed a mouthful of coffee as equally biter as his mood.
"I know it hurts, but I watched her, for what it was worth," said Yamcha. "Why do you think I came and tried to make peace a while ago? I put two and two together, and figured she must be pregnant."
"Then why in HELL didn't you tell me sooner! I'm her father!" Dr. Briefs slammed his fist on the table. Coffee cups rattled.
Yamcha exhaled, and then leaned forward. "Because maybe she thought you would just accept it like you do everything ELSE in her life?"
"And what does THAT mean?" Dr. Briefs demanded.
"Face it sir. When she went off to Namek you didn't seem worried about what she went through. But I watched almost every moment! She fought for her LIFE! And the least you could have done was held her and patted her back! Did it ever dawn on you she needed her Daddy then? And maybe now she's figuring she needs to go it on her own because she knew you couldn't be bothered?" Yamcha ranted. He could not stop the angry string of words. All the time on King Kai's planet he had seen Bulma's trials, unable to help in his frustration.
"You are out of line, young man!" Dr. Briefs retorted.
"Yeah well maybe I am. But you know what? Bulma always came to me when she needed a shoulder. Because you and mommy dearest weren't there. You were too busy worrying about your latest gizmo, and she was hung up on finding something to wear! Where were you two when King Piccolo was going to blow up the world, huh? Bulma called you for HOURS and all you did was hang up on her!" Yamcha continued.
"You can talk! Where were YOU all these months when the child needed his FATHER?" Dr. Briefs shouted back. Both men gripped the sides of the table, staring each other down in their verbal sparring. Dr. Polly Carbonate stood at the periphery of the battle unseen. Shaking her head yet again she took her daughter's hand and decided it was best to butt out. She had done her part. Now it was up to Bulma to decide who else to let in on her secret. When Bulma needed her, she would be there.
"You're right. I deserved that," Yamcha held up a hand. "But we both let her down. She shuts people out. Remember how stubborn she is?"
"She was always like that," Dr. Briefs sighed. Shoulders hunched over as he grabbed his coffee for a shred of warmth.
"Well the kid's born. Now you're a grandpa. Isn't that worth something? Can't we forget this for Bulma's sake?" asked Yamcha.
"Fine. For the sake of my little Princess I'll forgive you. Provided you step up and be a man. I suppose the fact you're here means you're serious," said Dr. Briefs. He reached over and held out his hand. Yamcha nervously took it, wondering if he was doing the right thing. Was Dr. Briefs blind? Or was it just wishful thinking. It was so easy to pretend that baby was his. Perhaps it could wait till the blood test, Yamcha decided. Right now they needed him. Bulma would probably want it kept a secret. He could feel it in his bones, and knew Bulma would tell when she was ready. How well he knew her. Firmly he shook Dr. Brief's hand and the two of them nodded.
"Will you be marrying her then?" asked Dr. Briefs.
"I… I mean… well… if she wants it," Yamcha nodded.
"Good man. Now let's go see the future heir to my company," Dr. Briefs laughed cheerfully. He slapped Yamcha on the shoulder. Both men rose from their table and wandered back to the room. Inside Yamcha felt hollow and sick at himself for the white lie. Sooner or later Vegeta would return, and he would have to face the truth. Or would he?
"Darn you Vegeta. I guess you got to my girl before I did. Joke's on me," Yamcha told himself. "But I swear if you ditch the kid, you'll answer to me and Goku!"
***
Back in Bulma's room, both mother and daughter took turns tending to Trunks. Now Mrs. Briefs held the sleeping baby in her arms while sitting in the large corner rocking chair. He snuggled into his grandmother's sizable bosom and stuck his tiny thumb into a cherubic mouth. Bunny reached into her purse and pulled out a small black knit cap. Bulma watched her mother tug the hospital cap off and replace it with the second.
"Mom, what's that for?"
"IT looks so cute on him, doesn't it?" she asked. "I always told myself if I had a son he'd wear this because he'd be such a handsome devil!"
"If you only knew," Bulma inhaled.
"What? It's obvious this little man looks JUST as handsome as his father," Bunny Briefs giggled.
"Mom, I have to tell you something, and it's gotta remain a secret," Bulma gulped.
"What, that your young man's coming back soon? I'm sure he'll want to see his son before he fights those awful nasty robots!" Bunny reasoned. It was odd to see her so on top of things, and for Bulma it was a frightening prospect. How could the reality escape her father and dawn so easily on her normally ditzy mother whose days were consumed with the pursuit of high fashion and what tea cakes to serve?
"I guess you know that Yamcha's not the father," sighed Bulma.
"He looks nothing like this handsome young Prince," Bunny sniffed. "It's so obvious he has his father's brow and face shape. Though he looks a lot like your father did when he was young."
"I'm sorry Mom. I guess you're sharper then I thought," Bulma admitted shyly.
"I may not be a super genius like you and your father, but I do know faces. I've seen and heard how you and Vegeta make love. You beat me to him, and it's only fair. Now he's given you a beautiful son! But when are you two getting married?"
"Mom, I don't' want to get married," Bulma blurted out. Bunny blinked at her with surprised blue eyes.
"Why ever not? My goodness you have to!"
"Because it would ruin everything. He's such an arrogant prick. And besides, all he cares about right now is fighting the androids. The last thing he needs is to worry about a wife and kid," Bulma explained.
"Nonsense!"
"Would you want him underfoot? Why all he'd do would be bitch and complain and rant that we're distracting him. He said so himself!" Bulma snapped.
"Oh dear," Mrs. Briefs murmured, rocking back and forth more vigorously. "He must be more worried about you two then you thought. I mean he's probably just saying those things to scare you when he really cares enough to keep you safe."
"Are you kidding me, mom?" Bulma laughed harshly.
"He's going off to war. Of course he has to be away. I suppose a wedding will have to wait," Mrs. Briefs sighed. "But what will the neighbors think?"
"I'll just tell them I wanted to have a kid before I got too old. So I used a sperm bank?" Bulma shrugged.
"That's not true!"
"Well it might as well be. Besides I want to keep it a secret. I don't' want everyone worrying about me and Vegeta. Because there is no 'us'."
"Whatever you want dear. But what if he comes back?"
"I'll worry about it when it happens then," Bulma decided. Bunny handed Trunks back to her daughter, and Bulma gently swayed back and forth in her own bed.
A few minutes later, Dr. Polly Carbonate knocked on the door. After Bulma told her it was all right to enter, she orbited the room nervously. By now, Bulma had managed to get Trunks to quietly nurse at her chest. Although she managed to get the hang of it, she was chapped and sore. Not to mention having her friend regarding her with odd looks wasn't helping her nerves.
"What?" Bulma asked.
Glancing back and forth Dr. Polly Carbonate then narrowed the gap between her and Bulma so she stood only six inches away. In a low voice she demanded, "I saw your dad and Yamcha talking. I just want to know if you're NUTS or are you SERIOUS?"
“Shush!” Bulma held a finger to her lips. She readjusted her hold on Trunks so he could more effectively nurse.
 
“What if the baby's father comes back? If he finds out that Yamcha claims he's the father don't you THINK he'll be pissed?” Dr. Polly Carbonate whispered.
 
“Serve him right for leaving me,” Bulma griped, glaring up at Polly Carbonate.
 
In response Dr. Polly Carbonate widened her eyes and backed away. She shook her head for a full moment, trying to wrap her brain around Bulma's reasoning which made no logical sense. Nevertheless in the language of emotion it rang very true and extremely clear. Crossing her arms over her chest she sat down in the chair Bunny occupied a half hour before. She huffed, “Bulma, that's bull and you know it! You said that you could hear his voice!”
 
“He could train here,” Bulma answered, focussing her total gaze on Trunks rather then her friend. "And how did you know about me hearing ANYTHING!"
 
"Because, I can put two and two together. Have you forgotten you told me about your 'steamy encounters' where you claim you could feel him making love to you, even though he wasn't there?" laughed Polly Carbonate harshly. "Come on, you DID tell me that, or are you going to deny it?"
 
At these words, Bulma felt the hot rush of blood swarming under her skin. She just knew she had turned bright pink because Polly Carbonate smirked in triumph, "Aha! That proves it. And still it doesn't it OCCUR to you that he WANTS this baby, and has every intention of being involved in its life?
 
Bulma spluttered, "You… you don't know anything! It's just a quick lay! Besides I thought you were on MY side!”
 
"Side? Who said there is a side? Bulma, I'm your friend! I've been right next to you this whole time. Believe me I have nothing but you and the baby in mind. But don't you realize we all might be in danger?" Polly Carbonate protested.
 
"Duh, I know the androids are an issue! Capsule thanks to you and me has been working nonstop on preventive measures," Bulma countered. Back and forth from his mother to Polly Carbonate Trunks glanced. If not for the fact he was nursing he would be whimpering. Just what these two women argued about he had little idea, but Trunks squirmed uncomfortably from the emotions he picked up on.
 
"I'm not talking about that. I'm thinking about ALL of us. Vegeta isn't the sort of man you cross. I mean he almost DID blow up this planet! And don't you think he'll be PISSED when he returns to find Yamcha hanging around and your parents thinking this is HIS responsibility!” Dr. Polly Carbonate continued.
 
Pulling Bulma's breast from his mouth Trunks uttered a loud bawl. Bulma snorted in frustration, “Maybe so, but it's MY choice, lady! You of all people should know about that!"
 
Lowering the volume of her voice Polly Carbonate continued, “It's his baby too. And even though I can't stand Curie's father, she STILL gets to see him on weekends. For the sake of Trunks, you have to get Yamcha out of the picture and straighten this out!”
 
“And why are you saying that?”
 
Frustrated Polly Carbonate huffed, “Because, Trunks is half Saiyan. Like it or not, people are going to notice. And with the paranoia surrounding the Androids, people are going to ask questions. The Association might even try to bend rules to find out more about your son. The fact that Gero's inventions have gotten loose…”
 
“What are you trying to say? I thought they were friends of yours!"
 
Polly Carbonate held up a hand, cautioning, “Hardly friends. Only a necessity to be used and kept at bay, and appeased."
 
"So you're saying they might do something? That they're in league with Gero?" Bulma blinked. Trunks whimpered yet did not cry, rocked in his mother's arms. Fortunately the two women continued their argument in more subdued tones that held no less emotion.
 
"Look, who knows why they do what they do? They could have done something to stop Dr. Gero but they didn't. I'm not sure why they didn't, maybe he eluded even them. But what I'm saying is that Vegeta might be the only one strong enough to protect you, us all from being destroyed. And the LAST thing we need is him against us because of your petty spite!” Polly Carbonate stabbed a finger at her.
 
“Dammit you're pissing me off!” Bulma snapped through clenched teeth. “You're crossing the line.”
 
“So are you. Don't come crying to me when Vegeta returns and he's pissed,” Polly Carbonate growled. She leapt up from the chair, turning her back to Bulma. Fists clenched and unclenched at her sides. Bulma humphed also, wrapping her arms more tightly around her baby nursing there. Tense silence predominated, during which Bulma and Polly Carbonate fumed in their emotional stews. Bulma wondered why Polly Carbonate bothered to stay if she was so angry. What right did she have to judge Bulma anyhow?
 
Finally Polly Carbonate broke the silence. Only slightly turning her head she mumbled, "Bulma, I'm your friend. Even though I'm extremely pissed, I'm sorry to be preaching to you. Can we just… I don't want you to shut me out because we don't see eye to eye on…"
 
"You don't get it. I thought you'd understand…" Bulma plaintively sniffled.
 
"I am trying to. When Curie's father… finally came back he… I found out that he had found another woman. And you know the first thing he did?"
 
"What?" Bulma grunted.
 
"He wanted his daughter Curie. Even though he could give a damn less about me, he thought first of his daughter. And even if Vegeta might seem an inhuman monster, the fact is he KNOWS about his son. And he took the effort to reach across space in whatever way to pay attention. He didn't have to do that," Polly Carbonate pointed out.
 
"So?"
 
"So? Bulma, don't you get it? You shut him out. I heard you calling his name when you were in labor. And if he comes back and you continue to shut him out, that might be the one thing that keeps him from wanting to win this fight," Polly Carbonate reasoned.
 
"He wants to defeat the androids and prove he's stronger than Goku. He told me that was his primary goal," Bulma softly answered.
 
"Maybe so, but from all you've told me, he said that this was what he left you, didn't he?"
 
"He said that the baby would be here when he couldn't be," Bulma admitted, embarrassed. Recalling the exact words brought back uncomfortable feeling she fought hard to suppress.
 
"So don't you think you owe it to yourself to at least tell your parents Yamcha isn't the father? Or are you so ashamed that you'd hide behind him? Isn't it better just to admit the truth? I mean they are your parents and now's not the time for…"
 
"But my friends…" Bulma protested. Polly Carbonate moved close to the bed, and leaned over to wrap an arm around Bulma. The two of them embraced, careful not to squish Trunks between them.
 
"If they're your friends they'll accept it no matter what. I accept it, and I'm still here," said Polly Carbonate, drawing back.
 
"True. Look, can you do me a favor?" asked Bulma.
 
"Anything, name it," Polly Carbonate nodded.
 
"Get my father and mother in here? Tell them I have to get some more things off my chest?" Bulma responded.
 
"Sure," Polly Carbonate nodded, guessing what Bulma was about to do. Eagerly she reached for the doorknob, and then exited. Silently she prayed that Bulma would relent and set the record straight. Suddenly she slammed into Dr. Briefs and Yamcha who had been standing by the door the whole time.
 
"Excuse me," she said, tiptoeing back. Bulma let out a gasp to see that her father had stood there the entire time. Had he heard their discussion? Judging from the look of anger crossing Yamcha's face, she knew the answer.
 
"Dr. Polly Carbonate," Dr. Briefs grunted. "Excuse me."
 
"Bulma, you… I told you to trust me!" Yamcha snapped.
 
"Daddy, how long were you standing there?" Bulma cried.
 
Dr. Briefs marched into the room, his hands stuffed into his pockets. He asked, "Bulma, you could have told me the truth. You honestly expect that I wouldn't understand?"
 
Sad eyes regarded her from behind thick glasses. Yamcha heaved in deep breaths in an attempt to squelch his rising tide of anger. Energy crackled around his body, almost tangible. Dr. Polly Carbonate could not stop herself from darting in and grabbing Yamcha's wrist. She hissed into his ear, "You'd better tone it down. You don't want to let off any ki in here or else…"
 
"Let go of me," Yamcha growled, twisting his wrist in her grasp. Strangely tightly her fingers dug into his shoulder, pulling him back.
 
"Leave them alone, you've done enough harm," Polly Carbonate gritted.
 
"Yamcha, I think you'd better go," Dr. Briefs glared at the young warrior.
 
"But Bulma," Yamcha spluttered, not wanting to hit a woman. Nevertheless he was sorely tempted to shrug off Bulma's annoying friend and push her hard.
 
"Yamcha, this isn't your battle to fight. You'd better go now," Bulma gulped.
 
"Fine, if that's the way you want it," Yamcha growled. Shaking his head, he glared at Polly Carbonate clinging to his arm. Promptly the scientist released her hold and stepped back. With one last gaze at Bulma Yamcha stormed off, cursing under his breath.
 
"Good riddance," Dr. Polly Carbonate whispered.
 
On the sidelines, Bunny timidly poked her head around the door at that moment. Seeing things were at least sane she nudged her way beside Polly Carbonate to stand in the doorway. Both of them watched the scene unfold. Sitting next to his daughter's bed, Dr. Briefs rested his hand on his daughter's bedspread.
 
"Sweetheart, it was Vegeta all along?" said he. Bulma's nod confirmed this.
 
Bunny held a finger to her lips, nudging Dr. Polly Carbonate back.
 
"Maybe you'd better go home? Your nanny's sitting with your daughter, and I'm sure she's missing her mommy," whispered she. Dr. Polly Carbonate nodded, and then departed.
 
Bunny then entered the room, drawing the door shut behind her with a soft click. Still she maintained a safe distance during her husband and daughter's discussion. Trunks snuggled into her arms more securely, reassured that the whirlpool of emotions centered on him had at last calmed. In halting words Bulma told her parents the entire story. She owed them that much at least because she would need their support in the months ahead.
 
***
 
Far above earth, a spherical ship bashed its way through the upper layers of the atmosphere. Etched on the side of the glowing metal orb were the words, "Capsule 4." Multiple scorch marks and dents bore witness to the traveler's difficult journey. Even small pinholes had been melted and patched with ki in places. Inside the lone passenger guided his ship to the only home he had known since Freeza's demise.
 
Tensely black eyes regarded the expanding landscape spread beneath his craft. Gi and armor torn in dozens of places stretched over his muscular body. Sensing the door slamming down on his mental rapport with Bulma, Vegeta knew he had to return to earth, and fast. In the months of his trip, Vegeta had grown accustomed to their nightly astral lovemaking. There was not a moment that would not pass that he could not sense her feelings in part if he chose. Instead he devoted all his energy to achieving his goal of the Legendary.
 
Now he had to prove to the Woman that he would triumph. The last thing he needed was for her to be dead or worse. Sensing nothing confirmed his worst concerns: either Bulma couldn't respond or wouldn't. He would see form himself just why she had the audacity to push the Prince from her thoughts. Nobody dismissed the Prince of All Saiyans so lightly and got away with it.
 
As the ship plummeted earthwards, Vegeta heard the faint whistling of air thickening around. The louder the whine increased in volume meant the closer he reached the ground, and Bulma. A blinking navigation console bleeped frantically while the Prince twisted the joystick on a straight course to land. The last time he had crashed down at Capsule Mrs. Briefs had withheld her good cooking for almost two weeks. Only Bulma's barbecue had saved him from a fortnight of indigestion.
 
Gracefully this time, Capsule 4 extended its landing struts and hit the ground with only a jarring rumble. Smoke belched from its cooling engines, heralding his return. Only a hundred feet from the main dome Vegeta had parked the craft with no more incident then singed lawn under the bottom of his ship. Just outside the compound, the departing figure of a dark haired woman stopped in her tracks. She trembled from head to toe at the implications. On the way to her car she froze fast in place, waiting to see who would exit. Smoke had drifted between her and the driveway, blocking her view of where she was. Curiosity or insanity drove her to rush over to the ship and see if the Prince indeed had returned.
 
As before the hatch spun open, followed by the drop of the entrance ramp. Down the gangway marched the battered and triumphant figure of the Prince, his armor shattered yet still clinging to his torn gi. He sensed ki everywhere except directly in front of him. Just why he could not sense the life force of the trembling figure creeping within inches of the gangway he could not fathom. Yet he recognized the female as one of Bulma's scientists. She had told him just who was responsible for the replication of his armor's dense material from Freeza's original designs.
 
Vegeta flipped upwards, and then dropped on booted feet ten paces from the nervous scientist. Her dark purple hair fluttered in the residual smoke of the dying engines. Her mouth was opened wide as her eyes rounded behind her glasses.
 
"It'… it's you… P… prince Vegeta," she gasped. "Oh crap…"
 
"Explain yourself, slave," Vegeta grunted. "Where is the woman?"
 
Primal fear surged in her at the terrible gaze in his inhuman eyes. They pierced her soul, finding her wanting and reminding her she was a frail flea in comparison to his Saiyan might. Try as she might she could not turn and run in fear. Automatically she dropped to her knees before him. This caught Vegeta off guard, yet pleased him. At least this woman knew the proper obeisance due a Prince.
 
"You… you're looking for Bulma Briefs, right?" Dr. Polly Carbonate stammered.
 
"Correct slave woman. Where is she?"
 
"She… she's inside with your… her… baby," Dr. Polly Carbonate answered.
 
"Why can't I sense your energy?" Vegeta demanded, seizing her chin. Automatically she dropped to her knees.
 
"Sir… please…" she stammered, feeling the viselike grip of his gloved hand. He pushed her chin back and grunted. He owed this particular human a favor for constructing his new armor, and he would not have disintegrated her. Plus she had been smart enough to bow in his presence, something that insured her continued survival.
 
"That will do. Inform her that I am back. And tell Bulma's mother to have food and a bath ready. Immediately," Vegeta ordered. Releasing her chin he stepped back.
 
"Yes sir…" Dr. Polly Carbonate gasped. Relieved she was alive she darted back to the compound. Vegeta snickered in amusement. Humans were too easy to torment. Still he was troubled by the lack of any ki. Perhaps her energy was too feeble to even register, he told himself. This woman was that weak, Vegeta snickered. Little matter. There were more important things to attend to.