Dragon Ball/Z/GT Fan Fiction ❯ Compromise ❯ Chapter 3 ( Chapter 3 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Chapter Three
 
[Goten]
 
Because it had been so long since my dad and Vegeta had sparred, or had been to Capsule Corp. in general, Bulma had decided to have a barbecue with all of us. That's where I am now, at Capsule Corp. Thanks to my mom, Davinia, my fiancé, is also here. Right now she's tugging on my arm trying to get my attention but Trunks has just come out into the back yard followed by a man about our own age, shorter with blond hair and no muscles.
 
I have no idea who this other guy is but something in the way he sets his hand on Trunks' shoulder and smiles at him that I don't care for. Davinia is tugging rather hard on my arm now.
 
“Goten,” she says, “Goten,” I finally look over at her, “I want some water.”
I don't really know why she's telling me this. If she wants some water why doesn't she just walk over and get some? “Ok, there's probably some by the other picnic table.”
 
She frowns at me as though I've done something wrong. I don't know what it is, she's so hard to understand, and I never know what she wants. And she never tells me why she's made at me. Finally she gets tired of looking at me grumpily and angrily walks over to the other picnic table.
 
As I watch Davinia walk away I notice that Trunks and whoever the blond man is are heading in my direction. Trunks gives me a smile and having reached the picnic table I'm sitting at and sets both hands down on the table. “Hey Goten.”
 
“Hi Trunks,” I say, I don't know what else I might add so I wait for him to say something next.
 
“So,” he stands all the way back up, “…this is Dillon,” he glances over at the blond man. “Dillon this is Goten. We've known each other since we were little kids.”
 
“Good to meet you, Goten” Dillon says to me.
 
“Uh, yeah, you too,” I respond. This whole thing feels incredibly awkward for some reason. I glance around for Davinia feeling that I should probably introduce her to Trunks, to be polite. She's heading over to us with a cup in her hand.
 
She comes back over and sits down on the picnic table looking over Trunks and his friend. “Who are these people, Goten?”
 
I catch Trunks looking at her questioningly before I answer, “That's Trunks, he's Bulma's son. And that's…Dillon, a friend of his.” I turn to Trunks to introduce her but before I can continue she begins talking.
 
“Hi, I'm Davinia Genovese, Goten's fiancé,” she smiles at them but I think it's really a fake smile, since the rest of her face is really tight.
 
Trunks glances over at me and we exchange a look and I know we're on the same page about Davinia. My attention is quickly brought back to her as she asks, “How'd you two meet?” Her question is directed and Trunks and Dillon.
 
“We've had classes together,” Trunks answers quickly glancing over at Dillon. I'm not sure what he's trying to convey to him, but there's obviously something Trunks wants him to understand without speaking. I have no clue if Dillon gets it or not though.
 
“What about you two, how'd you meet?” Dillon asks Davinia.
 
“Goten's mom set us up, actually. But I just knew that he was the one as soon as I met him,” Davinia replies with the same smile as earlier.
 
“But, I thought you didn't like me the first time we met. You said I wasn't cultured enough or something,” I say this thinking she's forgotten or something.
 
“Sweetie,” she says to me, her smile looks even tighter than just a moment ago, “I said no such thing, you must be mistaken.”
 
“No,” I say back to her noticing her eyebrow looks like it's twitching, “I'm pretty sure that's how it happened.”
 
“No. I. Did. Not.” Something in the tone of her voice tells me I shouldn't argue with her anymore. Usually I don't take much notice of this voice but I decide it might be right in this case.
 
“Yeah, I guess you are right,” I say while trying not to picture what the rest of my life will be like if I marry her.
 
Now we're all sitting around in an uncomfortable silence, no one seems to know what to say. Divinia, even though I'm pretty sure she's actually mad at me, is nearly sitting in my lap. When Trunks say, “Hey Goten, it's been awhile since we've sparred, how about it?” I don't even hesitate.
 
I'm up and ready to go in a blink of an eye, saying “Yeah, that's a good idea!” Not only does it mean I get to spar with Trunks, which is going to be fun but also that I can get away from Davinia for awhile.
 
Trunks and go to the middle of the open grass area and face off. I remember doing this so many times before and it feels great to slip into the old routine and we both power up and take off into the air.
 
 
[Trunks]
 
Dillon is currently wandering around the inside of my house with a look of awe on his face. It's not like he didn't know I was the heir to Capsule Corp. but he still seems to be overwhelmed but the whole thing.
 
If it were up to me, he wouldn't actually be here right now. It was a total accident that he even got invited in the first place, well, not really invited. I accidentally mentioned something to him about my having a barbeque get together and he ended up inviting himself. I would have told him that he wasn't actually invited but insulting the person you're having sex with usually doesn't end well.
 
So now he's wandering around my house and inevitably I'm going to have to introduce him to Goten and everyone else. This normally wouldn't be a problem but subtle is one thing Dillon is not and having him around my family is very likely to end badly.
 
“Are you ready to head outside?” I ask him figuring I'd better get this part over with. I can't hide in the house for the entire barbeque.
 
“Yeah, let's go,” he says, looking around for which way he should go. I just head for the hallway that'll get us where we're going knowing he's going to follow me.
 
Upon exiting the house I look around, my father and Goku are standing at the barbeque fighting over the meat tongs and my mom and Chi Chi are sitting in the fancy lawn chairs talking and looking disapprovingly at my father and Goku. Gohan and Videl are watching Pan and Bra as they have a sparring match while a young woman I don't know is talking to Goten.
 
Dillon sets a hand on my shoulder, leaning in to say into my ear, “Can't was just duck back into the house for a half hour or so, I don't think anyone would notice we weren't here.”
 
He's probably right but I don't feel like sneaking upstairs for a quickie right now and at his moment, even if I did, he'd be low on my list of people who wanted to do it with. “No, trust me, my mom would notice,” I say in response and pull away from him and looking over the yard again. It appears that the young woman Goten had been talking to had momentarily left him. I head over to where he's sitting ignoring Dillon.
 
Reaching the table I set both hands down on it in front of Goten and lean forward slightly, “Hey Goten.”
 
“Hi Trunks,” is his response before both of us go silent again. Before I can come up with something smart or clever to say I feel Dillon's hand on my lower back and straighten up, “So…this is Dillon.” Looking back at Dillon I say, “Dillon this is Goten. We've know each other since we were little kids.”
 
Dillon steps forward a little to address Goten, this causes him to be standing so our arms are brushing together, “Good to meet you, Goten.”
 
“Uh, yeah, you too,” is all Goten says in response. He begins to look around for something, but I don't know what it could be. Then the young woman who'd been talking to Goten early took a seat next to him, her leg brushing against his. This causes a random stir of jealousy and I stare at the woman trying not to pull her away from Goten.
 
“Who are these people, Goten?” she asks.
 
“That's Trunks, he's Bulma's son. And that's…Dillon, a friend of his,” I can tell he's about to say more before she starts to speak, cutting him off.
 
“Hi, I'm Davinia Genovese, Goten's fiancé,” she introduces herself, her smile none too convincing. I look over at Goten and our eyes meet, I know he's thinking the same sort thing I am, `she's a bitch'.
 
“How'd you two meet?” she asks casually, her eyebrows rising slightly as she asks.
 
“We've had classes together,” I quickly respond before looking over at Dillon. If he were going to say something this would be one of the times.
 
He seems to get it for now and instead asks “What about you two, how'd you meet?”
 
Davinia starts to talk again, the same fake smile plastered on her face, “Goten's mom set us up, actually. But I just knew that he was the one as soon as I met him.”
 
Goten looks genuinely confused by the comment, “But, I thought you didn't like me the first time we met. You said I wasn't cultured enough or something.” I can totally see this woman saying that to Goten and the thought causes me to chuckle under my breath.
 
“Sweetie, I said no such thing you must be mistaken,” she says, voice sickly sweet as she gives Goten a warning look.
 
“No, I'm pretty sure that's how it happened,” Goten continues, not paying any attention to the look she's giving him.
 
“No. I. Did. Not.” I hear the venom in her voice as she fixes Goten with a glare that could rival my father's.
 
Goten makes the smart move in this situation and surrenders, “Yeah, I guess you're right.”
 
Now I know for sure that I do not like this woman. She's far too controlling for my taste, Goten can do so much better.
 
We all stand around in silence for a moment, the little spat between Goten and Davinia having caused things to become even more awkward than before. This brings my attention back to Dillon who's standing somehow closer than before. I want to do something that'll allow me to put some distance between Dillon and I and get Goten away from that woman.
 
A smile creeps across my face as I get an idea, “Hey Goten, it's been awhile since we've sparred, how about it?”
 
I see Goten's face light up as he jumps out of his seat, “Yeah, that's a good idea!” Out of the corner of my eye see Davinia giving me a scathing look which gives me this pleased sensation deep inside.
 
Goten and I face off in the middle of the back yard, I can see that Pan and Bra have stopped their sparing match to watch us. This is so much like when we were kids getting ready for a sparring match so we could get stronger to beat some foe that was a threat to planet. I look into Goten's face for just a moment before we take off into the sky and wonder to myself why I ever let us drift so far apart.
 
Then we're fighting, exchanging kicks and punches in swift succession. I manage to avoid a blow to the stomach, whipping around and landing a solid hit to Goten's side. But he doesn't miss a beat and his fist collides with jaw. We continue to fight in much the same way for a good twenty minutes, each of us landing some good blows and making really cool saves.
 
As we land again Goten's clothing is ripped in a few places, a trickle of blood at the corner of his mouth. I'm sure I don't look any better but we're both grinning like children. “I forgot how much fun that is,” Goten says laughing all the while.
 
I laugh too, “Yeah, it's been way too long.” Breathing in to stop the laughter I say, “I might have some clothes that'll fit you, well enough at least, if you want.”
 
Goten nods, “Yeah, that'll be better than staying in these.”
 
“Alright, come on,” I say, motioning for him to follow me, “They'll be in my room.”
 
Goten and I head into the house, I pretend that I'm just forgetting that Dillon is there, even though I'm really ignoring him. I don't want him following us up to my room, talk about a very uncomfortable situation.
 
My room is on the second floor so it doesn't take us long to reach it. It's a bit of a mess but not as bad as it had been while I was living here all the time instead of just weekends. Going to my closet I begin to rummage through the clothing there looking for something for to wear while Goten takes a seat on the bed. “You're welcome to wear anything that fits you enough for you to put it on,” I say over my shoulder pulling out one of the generic Capsule Corp. logo T-shirts and a pair of khaki shorts.
 
He comes over beside me and peers into the closet looking over the assorted training clothes, shirts and pants that are there. Most of the clothes I usually wear are back in my room at Delta Beta Zeta, DBZ for short. After a moment he begins to pick through the various clothing options, considering this or that before looking at something else.
 
I move closer to the bed so I can begin to change. It doesn't feel weird at all as I take off my shirt then my shorts with Goten in the room. It's not like I'm an overly modest person, and while it's been a few years it isn't like Goten and I haven't ever changed clothes in front of the other. This is, however, quite different from those times. For me, at least, since my thoughts have a bad habit of going places they shouldn't.
 
Goten finally picks out a green shirt and a pair of jeans with them he turns around. I swear I see a slight blush creep up to his cheeks as he sees me pulling my shorts on, the T-shirt still draped across the bed. Now facing away from me he doesn't seem to now what to do; I'm pretty sure he's embarrassed. This I just don't understand, it's not like I'm wearing embarrassingly skimpy underwear or anything.
 
Having finished buttoning my shorts I move a little closer to Goten, “You ok?” I ask but he doesn't really reply, “You can go change in the bathroom if you want, it's just down the hall.” I'm sure he knows where the bathroom is, it hasn't moved in the last eight years, but seeing as he's acting so weird I'm not sure what to say. I'm almost right behind him now but he doesn't show any signs of registering this. “Goten?” I lay my hand on his shoulder trying to figure our what exactly is going on with him.
 
He turns around to look at me and something in his expression catches me off guard. It reminds me of a lost and confused puppy and my immediate instinct is to comfort him and make it, whatever it is that's causing this, better. I don't, however, know how to fix it since I don't know what's causing it. Instead we stay standing there, my hand on his shoulder, our eyes locked for a moment that seems to last far longer than it was.
 
A hard knock on my door causes both of us to start slightly, having been so focused on each other. “Goten, are you almost done?” It's Davinia's voice which immediately causes annoyance to raise straight the surface.
 
Goten looks as me his eyes now very round, he almost looks guilty but that would be strange since we hadn't really be doing anything to be ashamed of. “Yeah, just about,” he says back to her, hurriedly stepping away from me and pulling off his shirt before pulling on the other one. It hugs him tightly around the chest but is a little short on him since he's overall built slightly bigger than me. Pulling off his pants next he glances quickly at me as I pretend I'm looking something other than him before pulling the other pair of pants on. Once again they hug him nicely and I'm sad to say I think they fit him better than they do me.
 
Being fully dressed now he quickly heads for the door saying briefly, “Thanks for the clothes,” before he's out the door.
 
I'm not completely sure what has just happened but I'm fairly certain that it's changed the course of our friendship dramatically. However, I really do hope that it'll be for the better and end up with Goten in someone's arms other than Davinia's. Perhaps even in mine.