Dragon Ball/Z/GT Fan Fiction ❯ Danger in the horizon ❯ Revised plans and shared fears ( Chapter 12 )

[ Y - Young Adult: Not suitable for readers under 16 ]

Chapter 12 - Revised plans and shared fears

Note: I don't own DBZ

Special thanks to all those who reviewed, you know who you are!

Both Saiyans were somewhat breathless once they reached Vegeta's quarters. Neither had fully recovered from the `training session' earlier in the day, but it didn't really matter. The plan, which Vegeta had conceived with pinpoint precision, was all but ruined with the discovery that Zarbon was on Station Delta.

Nappa and Radditz glanced nervously at the door leading to Vegeta's room.

"Nappa" Radditz croaked out, "I would say it's better that you tell the Prince the news."

"Weakling." Snorted Nappa in response. "Afraid of another beating? Fine, third class, I'll inform the Prince."

The door slid open revealing the form of Vegeta, cross-legged, meditating on the floor. He was replaying previous battles and exploring new techniques in his mind, trying to further prepare himself for the great battle ahead. His mental toughness would be as essential as his physical power. Soon, Freeza. I will have your head, you lizard bastard.

His eyes suddenly snapped open, annoyed at having been disturbed while meditating by his two soldiers.

"What?" He frowned at the two very nervous men in front of him. His senses told him that something was amiss. "What is so important that you disturb me?"

Nappa gulped. This was not the best time to give Vegeta bad news. "Highness," he started " We have a problem."

"Get on with it Nappa!"

"Zarbon, Freeza's Commander in Chief is on this station as we speak. I suspect to track us down and destroy us. We no longer have the time necessary to train and defeat him." He finished with his head on his chest; rivulets of nervous sweat making their way down his forehead onto his face.

Vegeta sprang from his position on the floor to his feet, cursing as he did so. "When did you find out?"

"Not more than 10 minutes ago, Highness." Replied Radditz.

"Who told you?"

Radditz was about to tell Vegeta his version of events, cutting out all mention of Bulma, but Nappa cut him off. "The human woman mentioned him when she visited Radditz in the med wing. From her tone it appears he has been here for some time."

Vegeta gave himself the luxury of a small smirk. The human woman was becoming more useful all the time. However, Vegeta knew that at this point of the conversation he could not show any flickers of weakness or fear. But inside he could feel a wriggling worm of fear in his stomach. His careful plan was now dust. It was now imperative that Kakkarot be located and a new battle plan conceived, quickly.

"Damn, shit, blast!" Vegeta yelled. " I must think about the next move. Freeza, if he hasn't already been contacted by that pile of shit Zarbon will be here in at least 2 standard months." His frown grew deeper. "Go back to the med wing. It is better that the fewer people know about this the better. We must not arouse suspicion here and let Zarbon know that we realise that he is here also. Leave me now!"

Nappa and Radditz bowed low and left the room to make their way back up to the med wing. It was anyone's guess however, as to how they would explain their sudden departure and re-entry into the med wing. Neither of them really cared about that. What was worrying was the situation at hand and how Vegeta was going to handle it. Both men silently prayed that they would not meet their respective deaths at the hands of Freeza and that Vegeta would come through with a brilliant and successful plan.

Vegeta sat back on his bed clutching his head in his hands trying desperately not to let the demons of fear into his mind. He had come too far to fail now. He had failed once in his life by not helping his people survive the attack from Freeza 20 years ago. It did not cross his mind that he was after all only 6 standard years old at the time and could do very little. By defeating Freeza he was avenging their deaths and salvaging his battered pride.

But how?

This problem was going to take the luxury of time to solve, which Vegeta did not have. He realised that he would need something within at least 2 weeks and continue training in the meantime. After all, there was no sense in neglecting his training; at this point in time it was the only thing saving him from insanity. Pondering further on the situation Vegeta lay back on the bed, heavy scowl present on his face while he thought about a new plan.

After being left with an extremely angry and puzzled look on her face back at the med wing following the departure of the two Saiyans, Bulma made her way back to the relative sanctuary of her quarters.

"Finally, after what has been the single weirdest day of my life, I can get cleaned up and relax without any interruptions." She sighed in relief.

She discarded her overalls as she entered the bathroom commanding the shower start up with a medium setting. Now all she needed was some music to relax her somewhat jangled nerves. A disc started playing the "Four Seasons" violin music. Perfect for relaxing to.

Bulma then stepped wearily into the shower, revelling in the pleasure of the prospect of getting clean of blood and grease. As she began to wash her snarled long blue hair, her mind starting replaying the events of the day in her mind. How did Radditz know who Zarbon was? What was the link between him and the Saiyans? Why could she not get Vegeta out of her mind?

"I must be desperate for sex. That's the only reason. I know it's been 7 months since Yamcha and I broke up but hey, I have been without sex for longer than that!" she murmured to herself.

As she finished rinsing her hair of conditioner and washing away the last of the grease the hot water began to run out. Annoyed, Bulma got out of the shower wrapping a large towel around herself, deciding not to go with the usual air-drying. After drying off and combing the knots out of her hair, Bulma slapped some moisturiser on her face and body and put on her large t-shirt that she slept in.

Her eyelids began to droop as she set her alarm for the morning, signalling to her brain how exhausted she really was. She briefly glanced at the time before commanding the music to stop. It was only 7.30pm. With deep sigh, Bulma climbed into bed, mentally praying that tomorrow was going to be a very much better day.

If Bulma had been wishing for a dreamless sleep, then Shenlong was not listening.

The dream started the same as the one from the previous night; she was once again in a ship, trying to get through the shielding around Earth with the tail coiled around her neck. She turned quickly trying to identify the owner. Disappointingly, the dream faded out before she could and Bulma was then presented with an entirely different scene in front of her.

It was a different ship, much larger. Almost like a warship. The darkness around her receded, revealing the outlines of other life forms with her. To her left, she could see a small lizard type being, its red-rimmed eyes flashing in the dim light. She felt the evil just pouring out of this being. It frightened her beyond belief.

In front of her she could see the very beaten and bloodstained form of Vegeta. He was struggling to stay upright and maintain his pride in front of this monster. His eyes briefly and sweetly connected with hers, expressing a mixture of emotions.

Then the monster spoke.

"Prince Vegeta." It cackled horribly, it's fangs glistening in the dim lighting. "What made you think that you could take me on? I am the most powerful being in the universe and you are a lowly maggot. A prince without a realm."

Then, without any warning, the creatures tail swung out and viciously struck Vegeta in the face……… Bulma lurched forward trying to protect Vegeta from the creature's blow. She could not move very far. A pair of strong arms was holding her securely, stopping her reaching Vegeta. Trying to ascertain who was holding her, she twisted her head around and was presented with the gloating face of Zarbon.

"I told you Bulma, I always get what I want, always."

"Nooooo!" she screamed aloud.

Gasping and sweating, Bulma woke up clutching her hands to her chest. Suddenly she felt very alone and vulnerable in her quarters.

The dream seemed too real. Almost like it was a glimpse of the future. Bulma realised then that she had somehow connected to Vegeta earlier in the day when their minds touched, accessing his fears and some of his fragmented memories, mixing them with her own.

But why him? She had never connected with anyone like that before consciously or unconsciously, as in this case. "What the hell is going on?" she whispered softly into the darkness surrounding her.

She struggled to stay awake to further analyse the dream but her exhausted body decided to shut down for the second time that night.

Only this time Bulma slept soundly with no demons to plague her.

Far below her on the 14th level Vegeta woke at the same moment. He had been having the same dream, and he could see Bulma in his dream. Her beautiful blue eyes were full of sorrow and regret as she looked at him. Directly behind her, with his powerful arms encircling her waist stood Zarbon.

As Freeza's tail came out and struck him in the face, dimly he could see her try and break free in an attempt to protect him. Vegeta noted that Zarbon held her back and whispered something to her. She reacted violently, screaming at the handsome alien.

Why? He had only just met this human woman and now she was trying to protect him? For what reason?

Shaking slightly, Vegeta rose from his bed and decided to make his way up to the training facility on the 18th level and work himself to the point of exhaustion. It was the only way he could ensure that he had some respite from the demons in his mind.

Tomorrow he would have the perfect plan with which to defeat Freeza once and for all.