Dragon Ball/Z/GT Fan Fiction ❯ Danger in the horizon ❯ A realisation ( Chapter 19 )

[ Y - Young Adult: Not suitable for readers under 16 ]

Chapter 19 - A realisation

Note: I don't own DBZ or any of the characters.

The tension was broken by a sudden knock at Bulma's door, causing her to snap her angry gaze from Vegeta's amused expression.

"Oh god, what is it now?" She cried in exasperation.

A familiar voice drifted through the door. "Hey Bulma, are you going to let me in girlfriend?"

Vegeta stiffened. "Who is that?"

"Dammit! A friend, Vegeta. I have to let her in or she'll think I'm hiding something. You," she whispered at him, "get out of sight, I can't let her know that I have a man in my room."

Vegeta merely stayed where he was and crossed his arms, not showing any sign of budging. "Asshole, move!" Bulma hissed at him again. Vegeta fixed his black eyes on Bulma and shook his head. "No, woman. I give the orders. Saiyans do not hide from anyone."

"Come on Bulma. Are you hiding a man in there or something?' giggled Lisa.

Bulma gritted her teeth in irritation. "Lisa, I'll catch up with you later! Call me in 30 minutes, okay? I'm in the middle of a shower."

On the other side of the door, Lisa frowned. Bulma normally wasn't showering at this time of the day. She decided to dismiss her suspicions for now. "Okay Bulma, tell me about the mystery man then, okay?"

Breathing a sigh of relief, Bulma replied. "Yeah right. Like I could get a man. I'll wait for your call." She then held her breath until she could hear Lisa walk away from the door. Thank god. This situation is a little difficult to explain right now. Feigning exhaustion, Bulma dropped face down on her bed with a soft thump, pulling a pillow over her head. She had no intention of being around for Lisa's call.

Vegeta strode over to the door, listening carefully to the retreating footsteps.

"She is gone. Now, where were we?" Vegeta said smoothly, advancing towards Bulma's prone body.

She lifted herself up on her elbows and turned to face him bellowing loudly. "You can't stay here! There is nowhere for you to sleep!"

"Tsk, tsk, woman." Vegeta replied, shaking his head and sitting on the edge of the bed. "Are you blind as well as stupid? There is a bed here. I'm sure both of us can fit on it."

Bulma felt her face grow hot with anger. Between clenched teeth, she spat back "I…will….not…share….a …bed…with …you, asshole!"

Vegeta sprang forward suddenly, gently grasping the back of Bulma's neck and drawing her towards him. His warm breath on fell on her cheek and his eyes bored into hers, pulling her in. His lips drew close, brushing her ear as he whispered, "I told you that nothing would happen unless you wanted it to."

Bulma's breath quickened and her heart began to race. The close proximity with Vegeta was dulling her instinct to flee and urging her to react to him. She pulled her head back slightly, repositioning her lips to align with his and slowly advanced, commanded by a voice in her head that whispered hoarsely,kiss me. Before she could make contact, however, he abruptly released her and got off the bed, looking at her with suddenly glowing eyes as if trying to gauge what she was feeling.

"Think before you act woman. The consequences of your actions could be far reaching." He said, almost cautioning her.

She glared back at him, horrified that she had attempted to kiss him. This was the man who had calmly decided on her death not more than a few hours ago. "I am thinking. I'm thinking that I am stuck in a room with a mass murderer who claims to have some twisted sense of honour." Bulma hissed with as much venom as she could muster.

He remained silent for a moment. The woman was absolutely right, of course. It did not mean that he should agree with her. During their brief embrace Vegeta had found himself mentally willing her on, slipping into her mind as her mental barrier dropped, hoping that she would respond to his touch. But he would have to control himself. If she came to him, it would be of her own free will, not because he mentally commanded her to do so. Bulma took his silence as a signal to continue insulting him.

"Enough!" He snapped, stopping Bulma from launching into another tirade about his less savoury pursuits. "Work has to be started on the weapons and you need to crack the shield code. I suggest you get started as soon as possible, woman. My patience is not infinite."

"Agreed." Bulma replied. "The sooner I complete these tasks, the sooner you and your goons leave. Now, because you or Nappa will be with me at all times, I will arrange to have meals sent down to the docking bay. That way there are no interruptions and no questions."

Vegeta's reply was short. "Do that."

Bulma huffed at his response. Vegeta was really like the four seasons. Scowling, she grabbed a few extra tools for the first phase of her task, building a weapons system. She slung the tool bag over her shoulder and glanced at Vegeta. "Well, shall we get started?" she asked sarcastically. Vegeta did not answer; he merely walked over and grasped her arm, leading her towards the elevator.

Once they had reached the docking bay, Bulma used her portable comms unit and ignoring the message left by Lisa, contacted the kitchen staff and ordered food for herself and Vegeta. Then she got down to work, drawing up various designs for Vegeta to peruse while she worked on what materials to use. Surprisingly, for someone so difficult to deal with Vegeta was easy to please as far as the weapons design was concerned. He added a few modifications of his own, enhancing the potential accuracy and power of the design he had chosen. Most of the materials needed for the project were easily obtained, so Bulma made a start as soon as Vegeta approved the design. They both paused briefly for the food that was delivered and then Bulma commenced construction. During the hours that followed, Vegeta barely spoke one word to Bulma; instead remaining cross-legged in meditation on the floor, concentrating on the battle to come. Once during this time, Bulma attempted to leave the area on the pretence of grabbing some more tools from another workstation. She had not even taken one step before Vegeta had grabbed one of her ankles firmly, thereby preventing her little escape attempt.

Eventually, tiredness started to overtake Bulma's body, causing the tools to slip from her hands and clatter noisily to the steel floor. Vegeta snapped out of his meditative trance and deftly caught Bulma as she started to slide off her chair towards the floor. Cradling her sleeping form in his arms, Vegeta carried Bulma towards the elevator ascending slowly to her quarters. During the short journey she did not stir once, her body seemingly oblivious to him holding her. He gazed down at her face, which was for once calm, and resisted stroking her cheek. To Vegeta, Bulma was becoming more than a lustful attraction. He silently cursed himself. All this close contact with a woman was distracting him from training to his fullest extent. He knew that he was so close to becoming a Super Saiyan that he could taste it, but with Bulma as a distraction, albeit a very attractive one, he was sure that he would not achieve it before Freeza's arrival.

Once he had reached Bulma's room, she awoke and struggled briefly, before she realised that it was Vegeta holding her and not someone else. Without a single word he set her feet gently on the floor to allow her to open the door and let them both in.

"Lights on." She commanded, untying her boots and walking into the bathroom. "Do you want a shower at all, Vegeta?" she asked, too tired to argue with him.

"No." He turned his attention from Bulma and gazed out the window into the blackness of space. "So little time…" he murmured to himself. " But I'm so close …"

Bulma decided not to ask what Vegeta was talking to himself about, for all she knew he could be completely insane. Instead she turned the shower on and closed the door to the bathroom, stripping off her overalls before stepping in and revelling in the warm spray. As she scrubbed away at the grease and sweat accumulated over the day, she found herself thinking that the arrangement she now had with Vegeta was not so bad after all. Once she got past the obvious problem with Freeza about to make an appearance. At least Zarbon would not be trying to attack her now, not with a bodyguard in tow wherever she went.

The water began to cool. Bulma stepped out of the shower drying her in a towel instead of the air dryer, then carefully combed out her hair. Luckily, she had left her t- shirt and a pair of leggings on the back of the door so she wouldn't be entering her room clad only in a towel. Quickly she brushed her teeth then re-entered the bedroom to find Vegeta still in the same spot as she had left him, 20 minutes previously. Sitting on her bed, Bulma reset her alarm clock to awaken her at 6.00am and, yawning widely, pulled back her covers and slipped into the bed. Vegeta still did not move an inch. Bulma called out shut off the lights and, deciding she was too exhausted to care where Vegeta slept, promptly feel asleep.

Vegeta did not move from his spot by the window even after the lights had gone out. He continued to stare out into space for another 10 minutes, thinking about his next move, obsessing about transforming into a Super Saiyan. Eventually he tore his eyes from the window and glanced over at the sleeping form of Bulma in the bed, raking his eyes over her curvaceous body and her long blue hair spilling over the pillow. The desire to take her was strong. As Vegeta stood next to the sleeping Bulma his tail slowly unfurled of its own volition and gently stroked her exposed arm, relishing the contact with her bare skin.

Slowly, and almost regretfully, he regained his senses and moved his tail away from her.

He shed his clothing, and slipped into the bed carefully so as not to disturb her slumber. Closing his eyes, he decided that his training would have to begin again in earnest as soon as possible, regardless of what he was beginning to feel for the woman next to him.

Far below in the refugee quarters, Radditz lay on his own bed, confused at the actions of Vegeta. Nappa had informed him angrily that Vegeta had not disposed of Bulma as he said he would, and also that Vegeta and himself would be her constant companions until the three of them left Station Delta. Radditz was not to have any contact alone with her, at all.

Try as he might, Radditz could not put the pieces of the puzzle together. "Why would he do that?" Radditz whispered to himself. "It can't just be because she discovered our plans, surely?" His mind ticked over, the pieces falling suddenly together, forming a picture, which made him snarl. "Bastard!" He wants her for himself! Radditz rolled onto his side, anger and grief plainly visible on his face as he tried to go to sleep and put all images of his Prince and Bulma together out of his mind. He knew deep within his heart now that he would never have a chance in hell of making Bulma his mate. With that as his last thought, his eyelids drooped, sending him into a deep sleep.

The night seemed to pass peacefully until a scream broke the silence.

"No, no, no! I won't! NO!" Bulma screamed, clutching her arms tightly to her chest as she sat up in the bed. The same dream had come back to plague her once again, and as before the last thing she saw before waking up was the gloating face of Zarbon, close enough for her to feel his breath against her cheek.

She looked around, feeling vulnerable once again after the dream finished. It was then she realised that someone else was in her bed. With her. Before she could scream again, a warm hand placed itself over her mouth. "Calm down woman. I won't harm you." Vegeta whispered. Bulma relaxed somewhat upon realising it was Vegeta and slowly pulled his hand away from her mouth.

"What was the dream about, woman?" He questioned. Was it the same as mine?

"That was no dream Vegeta, it's a nightmare. I see a ship, strange people everywhere and in the middle of the ship, there is this ugly lizard creature." She paused, shakily drawing in a breath before she continued. "I don't know how I know this but I just know that the ugly lizard is Freeza. I see Zarbon, he is holding me back. Then, I see, I see…" she trailed off.

"See what, woman?" Snapped Vegeta. I must know if it is me she sees.

"Fine!" Bulma shrieked. "If you must know, I see you. Beaten and bloody, almost dead! And for some sick reason, I want to help you! Happy now?!"

"Shut up, woman" Vegeta snapped. "It's just a stupid dream. Go back to sleep and stop disturbing me."

Bulma was tempted to give him a few choice phrases to insult him and harangue him about being in her bed, but she thought better of it. In a strange way she found it comforting to have someone with her, even if he did insult her. So, grinding her teeth, she lay back down and rolled over, turning her back to Vegeta drifting back into sleep.

Vegeta stayed in a sitting position, cradling his head in his hands, trying to process what he had just heard. Despite trying to deceive his mind, he had begun to bond to this woman, she shared his dreams, and she felt his pain and anger. He had only one course of action now; he could not leave her behind when he left for Earth. Now Bulma would have to go where he went.