Dragon Ball/Z/GT Fan Fiction ❯ Day After Day ❯ Chapter 1

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

Disclaimer: I don't own dragonball Z that's the privilege of Akira Toriyama. I'm just an obsessed fan with far too much time on her hands. Please don't sue. Pretty, pretty please with an ice cream, pink ribbons, and a cherry on top! Oh and the songs not mine either, life sucks *-_-*

Day After Day

Bulma looked herself over in the large mirror of her dressing table and was reasonably happy with the results. Her long aquamarine hair was tied expertly away from her beautifully soft and blemish-free skin. Just a few stray strands hung down and curved neatly along her high cheekbones. Standing up she twirled into her walk-in closet and ran her hands over the rows and rows of designer clothes in search of her newest purchase. It wasn't long before she found what she was looking for and slipped the long dark green dress over her hips, pushing her arms through the spaghetti straps as it went. Looking back into the mirror she smoothed the velvety fabric with the palms of her hands. Wow Bulma Briefs you still got it girl! She smiled.

After admiring herself for a couple of more minutes she dragged herself away from the mirror and down the stairs to find her very own Saiyan Prince. Three years! She thought, I can't believe we've been together for three years! On fining the lounge, kitchen, and dining room all empty her heart sunk. Vegeta was nowhere to be seen. It wasn't as if she had only mentioned it to him once, but she had told him on four separate occasions that she had made reservations at Squares for their anniversary. They had even been shopping together (A rarity in itself) to each buy a new outfit especially. Hot tears hovered threateningly in the corners of her eyes. She sighed, closing her eyelids halfway and dejectedly threw herself down on the large white rug on the dining room floor to look out through the ceiling to floor windows at the starlit sky. Couldn't he just, for one day, think of someone other than himself? He knew how much this meant to me! It's like dating Yamcha all over again. I thought you were different Vegeta! But I guess Yamcha was right! All you care about is yourself! Gees I sure know how to pick them!

Nobody loves you, not quite the way you do,

Not saying I hate you, oh no, it's more the things you do,

If you've got a choice of things to say,

You chose to use that certain way,

Day after day, I think a little bit, I run it through my brain,

All the ways I've heard you say,

I had a little think, and thought it best to think again.

The gravity room computers voice kicked in just as Vegeta was half way through one of his most intricate katas. He floated, sweat dripping from every pour, punching at thin air and memorising the difficult movements that had been taught meticulously to him by his father all those years ago. Set forms never helped you much in a serious battle, but they got you used to using different combinations, helping initiate the right movements and improving your overall technique. "Gravity returning to planets normal level, please standby."

Vegeta bared his teeth, descending as the g's lifted, and punched the hard tiled floor in complete frustration. He looked across at the central computer and for a small digital display positioned there. "Shimatta!" He wiped his brow and prayed to Dende that the clock was fast. "I am going to get it this time! Ugh! I can't believe I was in here for that long! Now what?" Grovel? "There's no way in hell!" Maybe you should give it to her earlier than planned? "No this is important! It has to be done at the right moment! Damnit!" He draped a towel around his neck and slowly crept out into the moonless night, hoping that he could make it to their room without being seen.

He softly landed on the balcony and with hands on hips walked into the en-suit shower. Letting the warm water cascade over his face he tried to think up a good reason, why he had lost track of time, unfortunately none came. Maybe it would just be better to tell her the truth.

The sound of water running upstairs dragged Bulma out of her self-pity and pulled her up the stairs to investigate. As she reached the landing the water stopped and was replaced by the light padding of footsteps. She opened the door to their bedroom and stared as Vegeta pulled on his new pair of black pants that hung loosely around the legs, but clung nicely to his well-toned ass. She lost a little of the anger that had been building up inside as his eyebrows contracted and then softened momentarily, instantly telling her that he was feeling something close to guilt. "My training took longer than I thought. Will the reservations be held for us?"

"I don't know? But they'd be making a big mistake if they didn't let the richest woman in Japan have a table, especially seeing as she's bringing a Saiyan appetite along with her."

"Very well. In that case I have to go get something first." He pulled his shirt over his head and went to fly out of the window. The sound of his mates voice stopped him just as he was about to take off.

"Wait a minute mister! I have already been waiting for your worthless butt for an hour. I'm not waiting any longer!"

"This is important!"

The cool façade was lost and Bulma's calm collected voice changed harmonics, making her eyebrows meet angrily in the middle. "More important than our anniversary?"

Her temper was one of the things that had attracted him to her in the first place and he couldn't help but smile as she spoke. "Yes it's more important than our stupid anniversary!" Knowing that he would get another glimpse of that fire that sparkled in her eyes melting his cold heart in a second. "I won't be gone for more than ten minutes."

"I can't believe you Vegeta! Just when I think that you can't get anymore cold and unconcerned, you have to go and prove me wrong!" Tears streamed down her face.

Vegeta knew instantly that he had pushed her too far when he saw the small drops fall down the contours of her face. She might rant and storm at him on a regular basis, but she would never allow him to see her cry. There was another reason he had fallen for her. Her pride was as precious to her as his own was. Damnit! Why don't I ever know when to quit? "Save the tears they are unnecessary!"

"Fine Vegeta. If you want to go then you can! But I'm telling you right now that you'll be gone for longer than ten minutes if you do! I've had enough of you treating me like this. It's Yamcha all over again and I won't put my self through it!"

"Don't compare me to that baka!"

"I'll do what the hell I like! I want you out of my house and life for good! I can't take it anymore. All I have ever wanted was a loving husband and family of my own. I've got Trunks for my family, but instead of a loving husband, I got a worthless fighter, who spends his whole life training and wouldn't know commitment if it came up and bit him on the ass. All my friends are married, and here I am wasting my time on a Saiyan who says a simple bite mark on the neck is all that is needed to bind us together. Well I'm sorry Vegeta it's not enough! You can go to hell!"

"Is there anything else?" She had insulted him beyond all normal boundaries. The bite mark was everything! He had told her that! She knew the importance associated with it! "Did you want to insult any more of my traditions?"

"And what about human traditions, monkey? How did you describe human weddings? Oh yeah, I remember now. Nothing put a pathetic excuse for women to buy even more clothes and to torture men into looking as foolish as possible! Weren't those your words?"

The tension was at breaking point each staring out the other. Vegeta was the first to turn away, "You don't know shit about me or what I'm capable of." He tried to ignore the pain the truth of her words inflicted in his heart. "It's a pity that now you will never find out!" The room temperature grew a couple of degrees as the Saiyan let his ki explode around him and flew out of the window.

A careless word starts the argument,

The argument starts the fight,

That starts the riots,

That start the fires which now burn so bright,

Bulma sunk to her knees as he left. She was sorry even before he was out of sight. She wanted him back. She needed him back. "I'm sorry Vegeta!" she called out, her words echoing in the night's sky, but Vegeta was long gone by the time they were spoken.

The breeze whipped angrily around the Saiyan as he flew over the treetops of a desolate woodland to the east of West-Capital City. His keen eyes soon saw the clearing he had frequently inhabited to get away from the horribly soft emotions that haunted him whilst he had prepared for the androids. He had never been able to escape them, and now they burnt stronger than any passion that he had held before. He wanted her more than he had wanted anything before. Even turning super Saiyan hadn't felt as good as when she held him and traced her small hands over his chest.

Gently he floated down onto the mossy, damp, floor and strode over to a large, twisted old oak that had been his bed on many an uncomfortable night. Dragging his hands over its rough bark he found the hole he was looking for. He slid his hand carefully inside and pulled out a small box.

He spent all that night wandering in the depths of the forest, contemplating his future. What was there left for me? Kakarrot is dead! His thirteen-year-old son is stronger than me. I have nothing to train for. No one has threatened to kill me in over two years. Her and Trunks are all I have left! They are worth more to me than anything else. I'm not going to loose them over one pathetic little fight. The trees parted in front of him and he found himself staring over the edge of a precipice. The sun had started its slow ascension over the woodland and river that stretched out to the edge of even Saiyan vision. He still held the box in his hands and only now, when the soft light started to warm the air around him and let its comforting rays caress his face, he got the courage to open it up and look inside.

Build the mountains from the hills and standing at the top,

Out of sight, with all your might, singing everything's going to be all right,

Meanwhile there's decisions to be made,

Speak out there's no need to be afraid, you say,

Day after day, I think a little bit, I run it through my brain,

All the ways I've heard you say,

You've had a little think, thought it best to think again,

The gold band and single solitaire diamond sparkled in the early morning sunshine as an unexpected breeze blew across the idyllic setting, slightly blowing his hair to an even more unnatural angle. You know what you've got to do Vegeta! You know that you have to fly straight back there and… yes… I know it goes against every feeling of pride that you have, but there's no other way around this mess… you have to apologise. If you don't do this then you know you're going to end up regretting it for the rest of your life! Isn't it worth a small lapse in dignity to have her as your own for the rest of eternity? "But the bite mark already does that!" Yes, but your not doing this to prove anything to yourself, are you? You're going to do this because you want to prove it to her! His conscience was right. It was what it was there for after all. He knew what he had to do, and he'd be a baka indeed if he didn't fight to keep her. He closed his eyes and gloried in the feeling of being alive and of being loved. All he had to do was apologise. Ok, the only time he had done it before was to Gohan, when he thought he was going to die, but it couldn't be all that difficult. He remembered seeing Yamcha doing it several times to her, but that wasn't a good comparison, he was genuinely sorry, and he knew that, that pathetic excuse for a fighter had never been sorry for any of the pain he had caused Bulma. That he caused her a lot of pain too was also true, but there was a difference. He might not show it, but surely it was better to feel the guilt than to say all the right things with insincerity? Pulling all his thoughts together he leapt effortlessly off the cliff falling with the incline and waiting until he reached the very top of the leafy canopy before powering up and starting to fly.

Arms crossed and arrogance dripping from every beautiful contortion of his features, the Saiyan prince levitated over the domed living area of the Capsule Corporation buildings. He looked down in the direction of their bedroom and to his surprise saw his woman, curled up on a chair on the balcony, with what looked like a piece of pink material laced in her fingers. She was sound asleep, but his perfect vision could see the tear streaked cheeks that denoted a restless night. Not wanting to wake her he landed silently with the sole intention of going straight into the room to get some sleep before she woke up. The pink material caught his eye again, but this time he could tell what it was, and the smallest impression of a smile flicked at the corners of his mouth, before he caught it and carried on his way inside.

And I just want to loose grip,

But you're too busy being wonderful,

Bulma's large blue eyes fluttered open to the sound of voices drifting in the warm mid-day breeze. Pushing her small, worn out frame out of the patio chair she looked out over the railings only to see a large group of her employees walking out of the compound and into the city on their lunch breaks. Sleepily she blinked her eyes trying to adjust to the glaring sun, not regarding the pink "Badman" shirt that fell from her lap when she moved. He hadn't returned. She had waited up all night for him, clinging to the hope that he wouldn't have taken her words seriously. His absence proved that he had, and her heart clenched. A resolution to find him and apologise rushed through her head, and was enough to make her return to the bedroom to get changed.

With one objective in mind she hurried into the room and made a beeline for her closet. Not noticing the Saiyan asleep on the bed she pulled on a pair of faded jeans and a simple black tank top and rushed out from the confines of well-designed storage space. Her next port of call was the night table to find her dragon radar and capsule hover car, only one thought repeating through her brain. Gotta find him and apologise, gotta find him and apologise, gotta find him and apologise… mustn't wake Vegeta up, he'll be in a bad mood for the rest of the day if… Vegeta? She stopped mid bustle and stared in disbelief at the man she thought was brooding miles away, but was instead tucked up in bed in front of her.

Day after day, I think a little bit, I run it through my brain,

All the ways I've heard you say,

You've had a little think, and thought it best to think again,

She crouched down to look at him undisturbed. She loved to watch him sleep. It was the only time he truly relaxed. His scowl lifted and the furrows at the bridge of his nose smoothed away, letting his strong, masculine, and downright sexy features come into their own. "I'm sorry." She whispered into the usually stoic face. "I love you. There was a time I thought that you didn't know what it was to love, I know differently now, but I just wish you'd know how to show it as intensely as I know you feel it."

He shifted slightly and Bulma thought that maybe he could feel her intense stare even through his dreams. All of a sudden an arm unfurled itself from underneath the cotton sheets grabbing her around the waist and pulling her closer to him. Hehehe I was right. I love it went he senses ki in his sleep. She had never told him that he did this. It was her secret, and she loved it. It was reassuring to know that her ki was so soothing to him. Not being in the mood to disappoint his reflex actions she climbed under the sheets next to him. His outstretched arm clung tightly around her pulling her close and keeping her under his protection. His grip was a little too firm, though. It had happened before and the only way she found to relax it was to stroke his hands. She started her caress massaging in-between his knuckles and allowing her fingers to envelope his, until something caught her eye. Under his muscular fingers came a deep red shimmer. Carrying on with her massage she managed to relax him just enough to let his fingers loosen their grip on the small box he was holding.

Taking it from his hand she looked it over. It was curious. The outside was red leather and it had a small band of gold around the edge. She wasn't sure if she should open it or not, and turned to look at Vegeta. Seeing that he was still sound asleep, her curiosity won the ethical battle, and let her fingers open the lid. Seeing what was inside made her loose all caution. "NANI?" she shouted, forgetting about the light sleeper next to her. All she thought about was the gold and diamond band held securely in its box by a velvet cushion.

Day after day, I think a little bit, I run it through my brain,

All the ways I've heard you say,

You've had a little think, and thought it best to think again,

When I just want to loose grip,

But you're too busy being wonderful!

The combination of the shout and sudden movement as Bulma sat bolt upright, threw Vegeta abruptly from his sleep. His eyes opened slowly trying to come to terms with his surroundings. Bulma wasn't watching him. She still sat open-mouthed staring at the trinket in her hand. Carefully she picked it out from its position in the velvety cushion and held it up to the brilliant light that streamed through the open window and muslin drapes. The Saiyan behind her saw what she had found and grinned slightly as he watched her enthusiasm over it. "You know you could have saved us both a lot of trouble and let me go get it for you last night."

Bulma spun around at the sound of his voice. A faint blush tinted the edges of her cheeks. "You mean…? This was…? Oh!" she looked at the sheets hoping they would swallow her up. "This is what I think it is, right?"

Vegeta pushed himself up from the mattress. He lifted a solitary hand to her face, and brushed her lips softly with his own. Pushing his body up against hers he laid kisses down her neck and came across the bite mark that, in his eyes, claimed her as his own forever. After reassuringly licking the old wound he let his head fall back, taking the ring from her hand and moved off the bed.

He let his knees buckle underneath him and fell to the floor looking at the precious stone in its gold ring. He pushed one knee off the floor to replace it with the flat of his foot. Looking up from the carpet he stared straight into those cobalt eyes that dragged him in, making him want to swim in their depths for all eternity. Trying to remember what he was doing and not getting caught in her gaze, as he was all too apt to do, he held out the ring for her. "Bulma Briefs… I know I'm the biggest baka you're ever likely to meet, but I would be the biggest fool in the entire universe if I didn't ask this…" He cleared his throat "Will you marry me?"

She stared into those onyx eyes of his, their usual blank emotionless state forgotten, and instead pouring out his proud heart to her. She put her hands up to her mouth, gasping slightly, stalling and hoping to keep the moment forever. She couldn't conceal her emotions for long though, and the biggest grin spread across her face, lighting up those amazing blue eyes, and making her cheeks burn bright red. She flung herself at him and screamed, "Yes!" at the top of her voice. His strong arms circled her petite body and she had the satisfaction of having him glide the band effortlessly over her ring finger.

"You know you've just completely blown any chance you had of ever getting rid of me?" he growled seductively into her ear.

"Damn!"

He pushed her hungrily up against the bed exploring every inch of her body just as if it were the first time. "You've said yes now, there's no going back on your word!" His words were almost incoherent under his heavy petting. A thought crossed his mind and he stopped, looked into her eyes and stroked her face with his white-gloved hands. A smirk pulled evilly at the side of his mouth, "Oh, and just for the record, I still think that Human weddings are pathetic!" Before she could even think of protesting his lips enclosed hers, stifling any backlash. When he was sure she wouldn't attempt to bitch back, he broke away. "But… I'm the one going through with it. And between you and me, I have always liked the idea of the honeymoon!"

The End

***********

Ok this took me all of five hours to write, a new personal best lol. I just got really stuck writing my other fic, (What exactly is involved in a Saiyan mating ritual?) and decided to have a try at a song fic. (Did you like the plug…? Ember can be sneaky when she wants to be *^_^*) Well what did you think? Remember the three R's, review, review, review!