Dragon Ball/Z/GT Fan Fiction ❯ Dragonscales ❯ Morning ( Chapter 10 )

[ A - All Readers ]

6:30 AM.
 
My eyes open and I am fully awake before the clock ticks another second. It has been the same every day, at least for the past forty years.
 
But this is the first time in ten years that I sense someone lying beside me.
 
His breaths are calm and even now, but grief still shadows his deceptively youthful face. I wonder what his first thought will be when he awakens. Will it be the last line of the eulogy he must soon deliver, the taste of his own tears, or an onset of shame over where he ended up last night, the woman he sought out?
 
His father died yesterday, his third and final death. Of natural causes this time, so the Dragonballs are useless (I have always wondered why they can resurrect those who die of unnatural causes, yet cannot reverse the modifications on my body that have made me wholly unnatural and unable to die.).
 
He is truly alone now, not that he was ever close to any of his blood relations. I did not see him cry at his mother's funeral. He did shed tears at his sister's, perhaps out of guilt that her suicide might have been preventable, if he had just taken a bit of time out of his high-profile corporate life to have seen the signs. I had not expected him to cry over his father, as they had never had much of a relationship to begin with.
 
But perhaps it is because he is now alone that he grieves harder this time, because he cannot pretend anymore that he isn't alone.
 
Perhaps this is why he sought me out, because he knows I cannot change, cannot die or even age.
 
My reason to turn him away died ten years ago; his reason to stay away from me died yesterday.
 
A/N: Very strange idea that entered my brain out of nowhere; this is the first time I've written a non-canon pairing (in this anime at least).