Dragon Ball/Z/GT Fan Fiction ❯ Heart of Gold ❯ Heart of Gold ( Chapter 1 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

Heart of Gold
20 Facts About Son Goku
 
01;
 
When Goku realized that he had been the one to kill his own grandpa, he secluded himself on a mountaintop for three days. Nobody would know that he cried, because it stormed the entire time, but his tears mingled with the raindrops just the same.
 
02;
 
Everyone thinks that he doesn't love Chi-Chi the way a husband should love his wife, but when she's alone in the kitchen he pads up behind her and wraps his arms around her waist; instead of pulling away, she closes her eyes and leans into his embrace, and he revels in the scent of her hair.
 
03;
 
He is not proudest of beating Freeza, or ascending to Super Saiyajin, or saving the world so many times that he can't remember them all. He is proudest of being a father, and when Gohan fought alongside him for the first time his heart hammered not from exertion but from joy.
 
04;
 
In spite of everything, Goku views Vegeta as a comrade and a brother-in-arms. He sees the way the Saiyajin prince treats Bulma and Trunks, and the way he struggles in battle to the very last, and he's glad that Vegeta found a home on Earth. Mostly, though, he's glad to have someone around who likes to fight as much as he does.
 
05;
 
Goku didn't need the entire year he spent on Yardrat to master teleportation. He learned the technique in a matter of weeks, but whenever he thought about going home he would have nightmares about his family being consumed by yellow flames.
 
06;
 
When he saw Gohan consumed by rage at the Cell Games, his heart broke; he knew that rage all too well, and he would have given his life to prevent his son from loosing himself to it.
 
07;
 
He still loves visiting Kuririn and Muten Roshi when he's not training or spending time with his family. Sometimes he thinks that there's nothing like laying in the sun on the beach with his best friend, just talking and laughing and listening to the waves.
 
08;
 
Goku isn't nearly as idiotic as many people believe him to be; after all, he can master in minutes what most martial artists take weeks to learn, and he can plan strategies that out-maneuver even the most battle-hardened warriors. He's just resolved to enjoy living, because he's painfully aware that each moment could be his last.
 
09;
 
Even though he does learn dozens - probably hundreds - of techniques as he grows as a warrior, his favorite attack is still the Kamahameha. He never feels quite so powerful as when he's in the stance, legs spread wide for support and hands clasped together at the wrist and his entire being concentrated on the growing ball of ki between his fingers.
 
10;
 
When he meets Goten for the first time, he's fascinated by how much Goten looks like him - but even more by how small his son's hands are. They're almost completely lost in his warrior's hands, but the childish fingers grip him tightly anywa, with the strength of a Saiyajin.
 
11;
 
He loves Bulma dearly, but he's thankful that he's not married to her. She's not warm or stable or strong in the way Chi-Chi is, and besides - she can't cook worth anything.
 
12;
 
Sometimes, laying in bed at night, he wonders aloud what his parents were like, if his father looked like him, if his mother loved to swim. Chi-Chi strokes his hair and reminds him that he already has all the family he needs right here on Earth.
 
13;
 
He doesn't bear the same grudge against Mr. Satan as the others do, but he's still surprised that he likes Videl Satan so much. He's not surprised, though, when Gohan starts to blush and stutter around her, and he's even less surprised when Chi-Chi starts making wedding plans.
 
14;
 
He gets up early in the mornings, not to train but to fly. Even after so many years of soaring through the skies, he's amazed at the pure joy chasing clouds brings.
 
15;
 
Son Goku is always full of unexpected surprises. One time at Bulma's he picks up an acoustic guitar leaning in the corner and begins to play it. Surprised, Bulma asks him if he can read music, but he just laughs and says no, he just plays what sounds right.
 
16;
 
Kuririn decides that since Goku's so brilliant on the battlefield, he'll be brilliant at chess too. With that aim in mind he gathers the Saiyajin and a chessboard and sets them in front of each other. Goku scratches his head him Kuririn explains the rules, and the man can only watch in dismay when Goku wonders if a rook is a kind of cookie.
 
17;
 
When he's living with the dragon, he has a lot of time to think about his life in between practicing one kata and the next. He decides that he made mistakes - he's only human, or close to it, at least - but he still can't think of a single thing he would change.
 
18;
 
In the winter, when their little cabin is snowed in, he doesn't train. The wind and the cold don't bother him, and he could venture outside, but instead he stays with his family and helps Chi-Chi and plays games with Goten. Even the savior of the world needs to breathe.
 
19;
 
When nobody's looking he rubs the base of his spine and wonders why his tail won't grow back.
 
20;
 
Fighting is his life. There is nothing he would rather do than strain his muscles and flare his ki and fly headlong into battle against an opponent who can match him blow for blow. He loves how the world narrows to just the smash of his fist against the bone of a jaw and the way he can always push himself just a little bit harder, a little bit faster.
 
Son Goku is a warrior.