Dragon Ball/Z/GT Fan Fiction ❯ House of Cards ❯ Front Cover News ( Chapter 1 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
Warnings [Entire Story]: Language

AN: I came across the challenge that was presented by Shadow4146 called the DBZ Paparazzi Challenge and found it interesting enough to give it a go.

If you want to find out more about it or to give it a go, feel free to PM me and I’ll sent you the link.

----------

Chapter 1: Front Cover News

Bulma Briefs knew that the press were a strange bunch of people. They could be placed into two categories: the truth tellers and the liars and unfortunately they weren't two even groups. The liars outnumbered the truth tellers, and more often than not those who were a part of the truth tellers eventually made their way over to the liars in order to pay the bills or to appease their liar editors. Bulma knew this and it was for this reason that she had two of the best PR people in the business working for Capsule Corp and dealing with everything that had to do with the company that her father had built up from the ground and her friends who were more like family after everything that they had been through.

It wasn't often that Drusilla Banks and Ronald Gibson asked to speak to her urgently, especially at seven thirty in the morning. Unless it was something that she desperately needed to know about. After telling her assistant, Stephanie, to have them come up to her office ASAP, Bulma spent the next five minutes wondering what it is that could have her PR team so worried. There was no big announcement due to be made, at least not for a couple of weeks after they had the final results on the new Capsule Car model in. That meant that it had something to do with her family.

When Drusilla and Ronald walked in the both of them looked to be slightly worried. Both held large folders under their arms and between them they had a number of newspapers and magazines. That did nothing but confirm Bulma's suspicions that it had nothing to do with the company and it was a personal matter. She looked between the two, waiting for one of them to begin to explain what the problem was and after less than a minute of the two of them looking at her unable to say something, Bulma started the conversation herself.

'What's happened?' Bulma said. 'I take it that it has something to do with everything that you have carted into my office.'

'It has nothing to do with the company,' Ronald said.

'I kind of gathered that. If it had to do with Capsule Corp you would have just brought Newspapers. Magazines generally don't talk about the company, unless it's science journals,' Bulma replied. 'It's got to do with my family?'

'To an extent,' Ronald said as the two of them sat down in front of Bulma's desk.

'To an extent?' she repeated.

'It's probably best if you just have a look,' Drusilla said and handed her one of the newspapers.

Bulma almost snatched it from her hands, only stopping herself at the last second and held herself back. She looked at the newspaper, reading and then re-reading the headline again just to make sure that her eyes were nother. She dropped the newspaper on her desk and reached across, grabbing another newspaper, from Ronald this time, and read the headline.

'They're all like this,'as the two of them spread the rest of the magazines and newspapers across her desk. 'Each one saying basically the same thing, with the same pictures, trying to outdo the next with their headlines.'

'We've already heard that they've been in contact with her best friends from school and they're trying to get through to her father as we speak,' Ronald continued.

Bulma looked at themosaic of magazines and newspapers across her desk, copies of the same words jumping out at her and making her heart beat in her chest. She had done her best to make sure that everyone in her family were kept safe from these people, even those in her extended family. Yet somehow this had happened. These people had managed to sneak through everything that she had put in place and had started a landslide of press that wasn't in any way productive.

'What do you suggest we do?'

'We've got ouron a statement as we speak, but right now we need to know one thing,' Ronald said.

'Which is?' Bulma asked.

'Do Videl and Gohan know?'

Bulma clenched her jaw. She highly doubted that Videl and Gohan were aware of the media landslide that was currentlyaround them. Videl wasn't one to buy gossip magazines, she found them to be distasteful and only looked at them if she was at a doctor’s appointment or hanging out with her best friend Erasa, and even then it was just glancing to pass the time. Gohan was very much the same in regards to gossip magazines and would always catch up on the news online during his breaks or if it was really important someone in his division would inform him of it. As far as she knew the only kind of magazine that Gohan willingly read was science journals, so he could stay upwith all the important breakthroughs that were happening in the world, and briefly he had a membership to a couple of martial arts magazines as a Christmas gift from Videl early on in their relationship, before she realised that her husband spent more time laughing at what the reporters were saying then actually enjoying the information that was being presented.

Her first born Godson did not need to be dragged through the muddy waters that came with this kind of press and neither did the rest of his family.

Reaching across her desk, Bulma picked up her phone and pressed zero, so she could call outside the company, and then the speed dial button where she knew the Son's home number was stored.

--------

Son Chi-Chi's kitchen was filled with the normal sounds that came with having one full blooded Saiyan, three demi Saiyans (one of which was a guest) and one quarter Saiyan over for breakfast. As Chi-Chi and her daughter in law Videl sat across from each other, they held the same look on their face. Awe that the Saiyans could eat so much, even after spending so many years with them, and disgust that they still hadn't mastered basic manners, even after three of three had had it beaten into their heads numerous times with the help of Chi-Chi's ever present frying pan.

However normal the sight was, these days it wasn't so much of a commonTrunks only ever stayed over if he and Goten had a free study period the next morning first up, giving him time to sleep in before racing around with Goten to get ready for school at Orange Star High School. Videl, Gohan and their daughter Pan usually had breakfast at their own house, but due to some renovations that had started the week before they were rooming at Gohan's parents for two months until the work was done. Not that Goku nor Chi-Chi minded the full house. Chi-Chi loved having her daughter in-law over, giving her someone moreto talk to about things that were happening in the world, cooking and martial arts, not to mention the joy it gave her to have her only grandchild over to spoil relentlessly. For Goku it was like returning to the way things were after Buu was defeated, with the added addition of Pan, whom would follow her beloved Grandpa around like a second shadow, trying to copy every movement that he made. Plus, if Goku was completely honest, it was nice having a kid around the house to play with.

At only four, Pan was a little young to be in school, so while her parents were at work her time was divided between day-care (which she attended with Bulma's daughter Bra) and her paternal grandparents house, which only solidified Pan's attachment to her Grandparents to a point that her own parents wondered if the little girl would care if they justmoved her into Gohan's old room.

As the room filled with laughter as Goten got rice stuck up his nose, causing him tosneeze and cough to the amusement of Pan, they almost didn't hear the phone ring. As the final ring sounded, Gohan reached behind him, ignoring the cry from his mother about swinging on his chair, and grabbed the phone,swallowing the last of his food at the same time.

'Hello Son residence, Gohan speaking,' Gohan said, the legs of his chair still staying suspended in the air despite his mother's and soon after his father's disapproval on his use of kitchen furniture. 'Oh, hi Bulma, did you want to talk to Mum?' He paused, listening to Bulma talk while everyone else around the table went back to eating.

As she ate, Videl kept one eye on Gohan. What has started as aconversation was slowly developing into something else as a frown started to appear across his face and his chair came down to sit on all four legs once more. Videl liked to think in the past five years of knowing Gohan, four and a half of which were spent in a romantic relationship, she knew Gohan pretty well. She knew when to press and when to leave it alone, she knew when he was happy but was refusing to show it, and she knew the difference between angry Gohan and angry/frustrated Gohan.

As she watched her husband, Videl saw all the signs that Gohan was starting to become the former.

'Gohan?'

Chi-Chi and Goku stopped eating once again and looked at Gohan, both realising that this wasn't just a friendly call from Bulma. Goten and Trunks, picking up the change in atmosphere, placed their own plates down on the table and started to watch Gohan as well. Pan was the only one who didn't seem to notice the change in her surroundings and continued to eat her breakfast with gusto.

Gohan held up a finger as he continued to listen to Bulma, his forehead furrowing more as he continued to listen to his father's best friend. It wasn't often that Bulma called with bad news, unless it was to tell his parents about something that Goten and Trunks had done at school. This however was a completely different story. It wasn't often that she called about something to do with Videl and himself and more importantly Pan. The more that Bulma told him the more he could feel anger bubbling up in his chest over the entire situation.

'I know that you and Videl want nothing to do with the media circus that comes with her Dad, which is why I thought it best to tell you what is going on,' Bulma said. 'DrusillaRonald just alerted me to a hailstorm of press concerning your family. Someone managed to get a photo of Videl and Pan, I don't know how, I'm going to track that down, but its front page news on multiple magazines and newspapers.'

'What's being said?' Gohan asked.

'A lot of questions about who Pan's Dad is, if Pan is actually Videl's daughter, why no one has seen Videl in such a long time, not to mention they've been in contact with old school mates and are trying to get in contact with her Dad,' Bulma replied.

At the mention of old school mates, Gohan reached into his pocket and pulled out his phone and sent a quick message off to Erasa.

To: Erasa:Have you seen the news this morning?

'Have they managed to get in contact with him?' Gohan asked.

'As far asRonald know they've beenBulma said. 'What? Ok. Damn it, Gohan it's just hit the TV.'

Less than five seconds later Gohan was standing in the lounge room, TV on and the phone still pressed against his ear. He didn't even have to ask which channel Bulma was talking about because as he flicked through them all each one was talking about his wife and his daughter. His eyes never left the TV, but he could feel the rest of his family gathering around him and watching.

'The world is in shock this morning as photos have surfaced showing the World Champion Hercule Satan's daughter Videl Satan with a young child, presumed to be a daughter. No one has seen hide or hair of Videl Satan since she finished High School and there has been a largelyrumouredriff between her and her father; friends of the young two time world championship junior champion have said that they had no idea that Videl Satan had a daughter and can't for the life of them think of who the father could be, especially as Mr Satan made it entirely clear that in order to date his daughter they needed to be stronger than he is. One of her close friends Sharpner Pencil also stated that it is entirely possible that the little girl might not even be Videl Satan's daughter and the child of a friend, as there is hardly anythe little girl and his childhood friend. '

'WHAT!' Videl said.

'We're still waiting to hear from Hercule Satan himself on the matter as it's not known whether or not Mr Satan is aware due to the rumoured rift between him and his daughter. We're going to go to Jerry Donald’s now, athe Daily Star and the first to break this news to the world. Thank you so much for coming in at short notice Jerry.'

'It's my pleasure Cindy.'

'You were the first to break the news in yourthe Daily Star, how is it that you came across this huge breaking news.'

'It came as a total surprise, as I was shopping over the weekend and just happened to spot Videl Satan at the mall. At first I thought that she was with some friends and just hanging out when the little girl came into my sight and started to drag her over to the car that you can see in the photo. It was by pure chance that I was able to snap a couple of photos and it was able to hear the little girl call Videl Satan "Mummy".'

'You are actually able to confirm that the little girl is in fact Videl Satan's daughter?'

'From what I overheard and witnessed it is undeniable that Videl Satan is in fact a mother and a mother to this little girl. You can see in all these photos that Videl is caring a great deal for her, making sure that she is safe at all times yet being encouraging.'

'There is no denying from visual proof that Videl and this little girl are very close, and the fact that you were able to over hear the little girl call her Mummy is remarkable. Is there any clue as to who the father is?'

'That would have to be one of the biggest mysteries to come out of this whole story. All Videl's old friends haven't been in close contact with her in many years, only hearing from her now and then on Starbook when she is talking to one of her closest friends, Erasa Rubber. Other than that there isn't a lot of information that they have on the mysterious father. It's well known that Mr Satan has state that in order to date his daughter the man in question needs to be stronger than him and able to defeat him in a fight, and because we have yet to hear from Mr Satan its unknown whether or not he approves.'

'And if he doesn't approve it would explain why no one has heard from Videl in such a long time.'

'Exactly. It's entirely possible that Mr Satan does not approve of Videl's child's father, especially if he has yet to defeat him in a fight-'

'I'm sorry tointerruptbut there is new information coming in from Satan Mansion. Mr Satan himself has stepped out to make a statement to the press waiting outside. We're crossing to Mr Satan right now.'

'Oh. My. God.' Videl said.

Gohan looked at his parents, both of them looking agitated, and then to his younger brother and friend, who were looking at each other and talking in that non-verbal way that usually only spelled trouble. Finally he looked at Videl who couldn't take her eyes off the TV and the image of her Father as he stood out the front of his mansion.

'Good morning everyone. I know that you have all have been waiting to hear from Mr Satan regarding the news that broke earlier this morning, so I won't keep you waiting too much longer. We only ask that you allow Mr Satan to complete his full statement before you ask him any questions pertaining to the story. Without any adue, I give you Mr Satan.'

'Thank you John.' Mr Satan had not changed much in the five years since Gohan had seen him last. His hair was still styled in a ridiculous afro and he still dressed like he was a young man in the 70's, the only thing missing from his ensemble was several large gold chains and he would fit the part. There were a few minor differences, like a few extra lines around his eyes but otherwise he was the same loud mouthed man who claimed that he had defeated Buu and Cell. Every time Videl saw her father on TV she wished that he would stop with the boasting - Gohan's favourite quote of hers being: it’s like he's a pro wrestler and the world is his ring. This whoever was different. He wasn't boasting about his latest win or how he was the strongest on Earth, he was about to say something that could drastically change everything.

'As you are all aware, early this morning the news broke that my daughter Videl has a child of her own. My relationship between myself and my daughter has been strained over the past five years-' Gohan heard Trunks snort '-and we have come to a point where we could be defined as estranged. As a result I was not aware of the existence of a possible granddaughter. I am deeply saddened that this has happened and now that I know of her existence I fully intend on becoming a part of this little girl’s life and teaching her the way of martial arts, like I taught my daughter. I only hope that Videl sees this and understands that I truly wish to be a part of her life once more.'

Gohan didn't need to look at Videl to know that she was furious.Just another example of how Hercule Satan is able to twist things so he looks like the hero,thought.

'Mr Satan, have you heard from your daughter at all since the news broke?'

'No, I'm hoping that I will later today.'

'Fat chance,' Goten muttered.

'Mr Satan, do you have any idea who the father of your daughter’s child is?'

'No, but I do have a message for theboywho fathered my grandchild. You are nothing but a coward, firstly for not fronting up and meeting me like any decent suitor would, but secondly for forcing my daughter to stay with you because you were an idiot and got my beloved Videl pregnant. If you were any kind of a man then you would come to me and face me like every other potential suitor that has wanted to date my Videl. You have no right to keepmy girlsfrom me. So be a man and face me!'

Out of the corner of his eye Gohan saw Videl turn and walk out of the room.

'Are you watching this Gohan?' Bulma asked.

'Hard not to, it's like a train wreck,' Gohan replied.

'How's Videl?'

A door up stairs slammed shut and Gohan winced. 'Better than expected.'

'Gohan, you know that Hercule Satan is an idiot and everything he says is just a way for him to save face right?' Bulma said.

'I know. Videl knows. The problem will be making sure that Pan doesn't see any of this,' Gohan said. 'And dealing with everything that happens from here on in.'

'I've got Drusilla and Ronald on writing a statement on behalf of you and Videl; you won't have to say a word publicly if you don't want to. Ronald did suggest that it might be a good idea to call Satan in so you and Videl can talk to him face to face and in private.'

'I knew that it was going to have to happen one day,' Gohan said. 'Thanks for the heads up Bulma.'

'No problem,' Bulma said. 'And Gohan?'

'Yes Bulma?'

'Everything is going to be ok.'

'Thanks Bulma,' Gohan said.

Gohan felt a hand on his shoulder and he looked up at his Dad who had a concerned look covering his face. It wasn't often that his father looked concerned about anything and the numbers got even lower when it came to Gohan being on the receiving end of that look. Looking at his mother Gohan saw that a similar look was being sent his direction and then upstairs where Videl had disappeared. Goten and Trunks were the only ones who weren't looking at him, instead they were having a hushed conversation. Gohan didn't need to try to listen in on their conversation to figure out what they were talking about.His mother seemed to be on the same page because she turned around and out of nowherefrying pan in their direction.

'You two are NOT allowed to do ANYTHING to Mr Satando you understand me!'

'But Mum!' Goten said.

'You. Are. Not. To. Do. Anything. To. Mr. Satan. Or. Go. Anywhere. Near. Him. Understand. Me.' Chi-Chi said,every word with a smack to the back of their heads with her frying pan. Once she was done she strode across the room and up the stairs to talk with her daughter-in-law. Gohan didn't bother to try and stop her. Right now Videl needed to talk with and get comfort from Chi-Chi as a substitute mother, his turn would come later.

When he had started dating Videl, and later when she moved out of her father's home and moved into his parents’ house, he had known that it wasn't going to be easy. Having Hercule Satan as a father meant someone constantly watching them, waiting to take that perfect shot that would get them noticed. More than once Gohan had helped Videl sneak out of her house via her balcony in order for them to spend some time alone without her father noticing. After the fight Videl had with her father things got a little easier because they didn't have to be so worried about being caught in the local villages that they visited, but it didn't stop them from being cautious, becoming more so when they got married and when Pan was born. Gohan had been told how much the press had tried to get a picture of him after his father won the World Championship and the last thing he and Videl wanted was for Pan to be hounded like Videl had been. They didn't have the same connections that Bulma had that kept the press away from them and while they knew Bulma would have helped them if they wanted it, it was easier to just to stay low and not draw attention to themselves.

'Gohan, are you ok?' Goku asked.

'I've been better Dad,' Gohan said.

'I don't get why, everyone who matters knows that Mr Satan is an idiot,' Goten said as he rubbed the back of his head.

'Besides, if Mum knows about it then she's going to make Mr Satan and the reporter to took the pictures of Videl and Pan pay,' Trunks said. 'She's not about to let anything bad happen to her first born Godson and his family.'

'It's not that,' Gohan said. 'I know he's an idiot, and I know that if I took him up on his challenge that I would wipe the floor with him.'

'That is putting it lightly,' Goten said.

'The problem is that Mr Satan at the moment has the floor and everyone is going to believe him because he's their hero. He's the one, in their eyes, that saved the world not once but twice, so even if I did go out there and make a statement the world is going to back him regardless of what Bulma does or what Videl says, and that is what is hurting Videl at the moment,' Gohan said.

'That and the fact that her father basically declared to the world that the man that she chose isn't good enough and is a deadbeat and a coward,' Trunks said.

'Exactly,' Gohan said. 'Mum, Dad can Pan stay here while everything gets sorted out. I don't want her going into day-care at the moment.'

'Of course,' Goku said. 'You and Videl should lay low as well.'

'That's what I'm planning on doing,' Gohan said. 'The more we avoid the press at the moment the better, at least until Videl and I talk with Bulma and her PR team.'

'If anyone is able to fix this it's Bulma,' Goku said.

'Daddy?' Gohan looked over at the doorway where Pan stood, food stuck to various places on her face and looking concerned. 'Why is Mummy sad?'

Gohan ran a hand through his hair. He and Videl had an open policy with Pan and the questions that she asked, believing that hiding things from her wasn't the best way to raise a child. So whenever she asked a question, they answered it without lying, only phrasing it differently and making it age appropriate. It was the way that Gohan's parents had raised him and he had always been thankful that they had.

'Some people took a picture of you and Mummy,' Gohan said as he picked her up and wiped her face with the bottom of her shirt.

'Why would that make Mummy sad? She always loves to get a picture with me,' Pan said, her little forehead frowning.

'It wasn't that the picture was taken, Saru, that has made you Mummy sad. It's that someone took the picture without asking Mummy or you first,' Gohan said. 'You know how Bulma and Vegeta get mad when people take pictures of Trunks and Bra without asking them.'

'Yes, last time Vegeta went Super Saiyan because a man tried to take a picture of Bra when she was in the bathroom.'

'Yes, but Dad was mad about that for an entirely different reason,' Trunks growled and started muttering about perverts. Goten quickly dragged him out of the room before he followed his father's example and got mad enough to turn Super Saiyan as well.

'Well this man did the same thing to you and Mummy, and now some people are upset because Mummy didn't tell them about you, like your Grandpa Hercule,' Gohan explained.

'Why would Grandpa Hercule be mad?' Pan asked. 'It's just a picture.'

'There are other reasons most of them have to do with GrandpaMummy and me, so you don't need to worry about it,' Gohan said and tickled her side.

The giggles reverberated around the room and Gohan looked over at his Dad. Goku was a man who had met every challenge head one and had done his best to do right by his family and those he loved, even if sometimes those things didn't seem like it to an outsider or someone who didn't know him all that well. Right now though, Gohan knew that his father was trying to think of a way to help that didn't involve him standing around silently. Goku knew that this was one time where fighting like he usually did wasn't going to help the situation and help his son and daughter-in-law, and it made it feel utterly helpless.

'Dad,' Gohan said, dragging the older man out of his thoughts. 'It's going to be ok.' He looked back down at his giggling daughter. 'Videl and I knew that this was going to happen sooner or later, that the press was going to find out about us and Pan. We just hoped thatHerculewould have heard it from us instead and that we were on better terms. Unfortunately we've been dealt a bad hand and we're going to have to deal with the consequences. Like you said, if anyone is going to be able to help fix this, it's going to be Bulma.'

Goku smiled. 'Still wish that I could do something.'

'Nothing you can do. This is something that Videl and I made, in part,' Gohan said.

'Maybe, but I can't understand why Hercule would act the way he's acting,' Goku said. 'I doubt even Vegeta would talk that way towards someone that Bra was dating.'

'No, he'd be able to track them down easy and then beat him up for being a weakling and not worthy of his daughter, with Trunks second in line. But he wouldn't do it publicly,' Gohan grinned and turned his attention back to Pan. 'So Panny, while Mummy and I work things out with Grandpa Hercule you're going to spend some time with Grandpa Goku and Grandma Chi-Chi.'

Pan's eyes widened with excitement. 'Really?'

'Really,' Goku said and leant in to whisper in her ear. 'We might even start working on teaching you how to do a Kamehameha wave.'

'SON GOKU! YOU ARE NOT TEACHING OUR GRANDDAUGHTER HOW TO PERFORM THE KAMEHAMEHA WAVE!'

Goku blinked rapidly and looked up at the stairs before bringing his hand up to rub the back of his head. 'Even after all these years I can't work out how your mother is able to do that.'

'One of the mysteries of the universe I guess,' Gohan said, tossing the still giggling Pan over to his father in a spontaneous game of Catch Pan.

As he watched his father toss Pan up and down like he had done the first time he had met Goten, Gohan felt his phone vibrate in his back pocket. He pulled it out and read the message that Erasa had sent him.

To: Gohan Seen the news? If these people out front of my apartment have anything to say about it, I’m going to be on the news!