Dragon Ball/Z/GT Fan Fiction ❯ House of Cards ❯ The Other Side ( Chapter 2 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
It never failed to amaze Gohan how fast things could turn from good to bad in a matter of hours. The day had started off as normal as any other until the phone call from Bulma caused everything to come crashing down around them faster than his father and Vegeta could finish a wedding cake.Erasa's text he hastily called his wife's best friend to find out what was happening on her end.

'Hey Gohan,' Erasa said, he voice sounding breathy and almost like she was trying her best to not be over heard.

'Hey E, what's going on at your place?'

'Oh, nothing much. Breakfast, watching the news, avoiding all the windows and keeping my curtains and blinds closed so that nosy reporters and photographers can't peek in. You know, the usual,' Erasa replied.

Gohan'They're outside your house?'

'Yes, someonemy address slip and they've been hanging outside my house for most of the early morning. I didn't realise until I went out to go for a walk and get a coffee and walked out to find a large population of people hanging out the front of my house just waiting for me to walk out the door. I caught on pretty fast what it was about and got back inside before they could corner me any further,' Erasa said. 'I swear when I get my hands of the jerk-wad who gave out my address I'm going to strangle them.'

'We'll add them to the list,' Gohan replied.

‘I take it the dumbass reporter who snapped the picture of Videl and Panny is top of that list,' Erasa said.

'On thepeople I'd like to strangle for upsetting my lifemostdefinitely. He's not even top ten on the other list,' Gohan said. He knew that he didn't have to go on and explain the later comment. Erasa was as much in the know about his life as Bulma was and it made things easier for him and Videl not having to keep a major secret from one of their closest friends. 'Have you managed to talk to Sharpner?'

'He's on my list to contact,' Erasa said. 'I haven't talked to him in eighteen months, not since we got into that hugehim wanting toreconnect with VidelI called him on his bullshit.'

Gohan remembered the aftermath of this particularErasa had come over to their house afterwards and after Pan had gone to bed they had drunk a lot of wine and allowed Erasa to vent about the boy that she had been madly in love with for years. It had taken a lot of courage for her to tell Sharpner to stop being a jerk and let Videl live her life the way she wanted it, even more so when she had told Sharpner to stay away from her until he was willing to accept that. It had taken a lot of venting and cuddles where Gohan wasn't sure that Erasa would ever let go of Pan but in the end the bubbly blonde hand turned her love life around and jumped over the wall that had built up. Gohan couldn't have been prouder of Erasa, but that didn't stop him and Videlthat they could silently make Sharpner's life hell with him realising that it was them.

'You don't have to call him you know, I could hand over his detailed to Bulma and I'm sure that she would put the fear of Dende into him,' Gohan said. He heard Erasa exhale over the phone and knew that she was very tempted.

'I would love to Gohan, I really would, but I need to do this. I can't hide from him forever and if he did make that comment I'm going to grab him by the balls and make him see the error of his ways,' Erasa said.

'Tell me when you do, I want front row seats,' Gohan said. 'And I'm sure that Videl will help you.'

'I'm sure she will,' Erasa said.

'How are you going to get to work?' Gohan asked.

Gohan could almost hear her smile. 'One of the great things about my job is that I can do it from the comfort of my house. I've got a couple of designs that I need to finish up and I need to get in contact with a couple of people about a few missing things you guys need for your kitchen otherwise you'll be stuck at your parents’ house longer than planned.'

Gohan had to admit; sometimes having a very talented interior designer like Erasa for a friend was very handy, especially when she was determined to get the best for her clients.

'I better let you go. I'm sure you're going to need to keep the line open in case any new information comes out or if Bulma needs to get in contact with you.'

'True. I'll call you later today and see how things are going. Oh and Erasa, if the press get too bad let me know and I'll get in contact with Bulma,' Gohan said.

'Knowing Videl the moment she hears she's going to be on the phone with her old police contacts and getting them off my property,' Erasa said. 'I'll talk to you later Gohan.'

'Bye E,' Gohan said.

The rest of the day flew past faster than the three years the Z Fighters used to get prepared for the andriods and by the end of it Gohan was tempted to grab Pan and Videl and jump on the first ship off Earth. It didn't bother him where it was going, just as long as it got his family away from the press that was intent on tracking down his wife and daughter. He knew that Bulma wouldn't care; she had been trying to get him to go on a couple of missions lately as a way for him to learn more about the company. He wondered sometimes if she was trying to groom him to become President of Capsule Corp instead of Trunks, but he knew that wasn't true. If anything his blue haired Godmother was probably trying to figure out a way for everything to run smoothly at Capsule Corp now that it was expanding into the stars and Gohan was one of the few who would tell her honestly if it was, for lack of a better phrase, a fuck up.Plus if she thought that it would help elevate the stress the whole situation was putting on them she would have a ship ready for them in less than twenty four hours.

The only thing that stopped him from making the phone call to Bulma was Videl and Pan. He knew his daughter wouldn't take well to being separated from her extended family for too long, she had a hard enough time spending the day at pre-school before Goku, Chi-Chi or Goten (with Trunks) picked her up in the afternoon. The only thing that kept her grounded at the pre-school was Bra, who was every bit Vegeta's daughter only with Bulma's appearance. No, Pan would not cope well being away from those that she loved to dearly for too long. Videl was a different story. His wife was not one to back away from a fight and the moment that he saw her walk out her their room after spending some time alone with Chi-Chi, he saw a look in her eyes that he hadn't seen since she had stopped fighting crime as a hobby.

She had a fire in her eyes and nothing was going to make her back down until she had managed to work out what the problem was and how to fix it so her family could once again live the life that they wanted to life. And that included her friends.True to Erasa'sthe moment that Videl heard about what was going on over at Erasa's house she was one the phone and talking with the Chief of Police in Satan City (whom she stayed in contact with) and got him to deal with the press out the front of her best friend's house.

With that problem dealt with, Videl and Gohan turned to face the next one. Knowing that Pan was safe at her Grandparent's house for the time being, Gohan and Videl flew to Capsule Corp to being working on damage control and getting their side of the story out there before any more of Videl's so called "friends" could make a comment.

'I swear all these people who a commenting I don't even remember,' Videl said as shethe tenth repetitive story that Bulma had in her office.

'They all come out of the woodwork when this kind of thing happens,' Bulma said from her chair across from the two of them.

'When Bulma announced that she had married Vegeta and that they had a two year old son the press went mad as well,' Gohan said and looked over at Bulma. 'I remember Dad getting mad because they keptyour Mum, to the point where she couldn't even walk outside with Pookie.'

'Pookie?' Videl asked.

'Mum's little Maltese cross that Dad gave her when I was five,' Bulma said. 'By that stage he was really old and Mum would take him outside to his favourite tree a couple of times a day to do his business. Once the reporters came things went downhill fast because Mum couldn't take Pookie out.'

'A month after the news broke Pookie passed away. Bulma's Mum still blames the press 'til this day,' Gohan said.

'He was an old dog on his way out, but it effectively boxed him in and shortened what life he did have less, which is why Mum now hates the press.'

'I didn't think she washating anyone,' Videl said.

'Panchy Briefs is one of the kindest and, well, sorry to say this Bulma, ditsiest, women I know, but the moment you hurt the people that she truly care's about she will hit you like a hurricane.You should have heard all the names that she called your Dad when she saw him take credit for defeating Cell,' Gohan said.

'Even Vegeta was impressed and it's hard to impress him. He does have an extensive vocabulary that he has passed on to our son,' Bulma said.

'Not Bra?'

'Surprisingly no,' Bulma said. 'He's very old fashioned when it comes to her.'

'Probably has something to do with her lack of Saiyan Fighting Spirit,' Videl said.

'That and he's finally understood what it's like to have a child who has no interest in beatingBulma said, sending a wink in Gohan's direction.

'I don't mind fighting, I do find it fun, I just don't have the need to constantly do it like the other Saiyans that I know,' Gohan replied, his arms folded across his chest.

'We're off topic,' Bulma said. 'What we need to do is turn the focus away from these people that are seeking their fifteen minutes of fame and claiming to have been one of your closest friends. We can't take it from your Father, he's a part of this story but what we can do is turn everything on its head so that people can hear your side Videl and understand where you are coming from.'

'It should also help get them away from those people who are trying to become famous in all this,' Ronald said from the corner of the room, a cordless phone held up against his ear as he furiously texted with his mobile.

'It's what Grandpa had to do when I was born,' Gohan explained. 'He made the announcement on behalf of Mum and Dad, thanked everyone for their well wishes and then told the press that they wanted privacy during this time.'

'Did they back off?' Videl asked.

'Most people got it, others who were a little pushy and tried to get pictures when Mum and I were in the markets with Dad and Grandpa. Having Dad did help because all he had to do was grab the camera out of one of their hands and it was enough to make those stubborn few left over back off for good,' Gohan said.

'Same when I made the announcement about my marriage and Trunks. They tried to snap of picture of Vegeta once and he ended up smashing their camera, it was enough to make them back down. It's since picked back up again because of new blood and a greater interested in Capsule Corp but generally it's all kept under control with the help of Drusilla and Ronald, plus the urban legend of what Vegeta did to the camera,' Bulma said.

'And the guy who tried to photograph Bra in the bathroom,' Gohan said.

'That too,' Bulma said, a dark look settling on her face for a few seconds before changing back. 'Once your side is out there things will hopefully begin to run a lot smoother and you can begin to live your lives like you did before.'

'Somehow I don't think it's going to be that easy, especially with Dad being the glory hound he is,' Videl said.

'Well that's why it's handy to have you here. You know exactly what you can say that will stop him from making certain comments that will keep this story snowballing, and you have Ronald and I here to help as well,' Drusilla said, taking a sip of coffee. 'Plus you've got Bulma to back you and Gohan as well, two very brilliant minds who will be able to see the gaps that we won't.'

'Not to mention the Z Fighters,' Bulma said. 'I've already had calls from everyone from Krillin to Tien asking what is happening and how they can help. At the least they will be moral support, at the most we'll have them behind you when you speak to the press. Your Father had his entourage with him when he made his statement, you'll have yours, only yours will be much more impressive.'

'Not to mention that all of them have very good standing all over the world,' Drusilla said. 'Having them behind you, even if it's in spirit, will help.'

Videl looked at Drusilla and then backup at Ronald. She had no idea how much of the truth the two of them knew and if they knew everything they were either very good at keeping a clear head or they were just really good at their jobs. Right now wasn't the best time to ask her husband's Godmother, but she made the mental note to ask Bulma about it later.

'They will seriously stand behind me like security while I talk to the press?' Videl said.

'Well, not Vegeta, but when have I ever been able to get him to do something like that when it was about us?' Bulma joked. 'The rest however have your back, and I'm sure all you need to do is say the word and you'll have Chi-Chi, Goku and the Ox King there as well.'

'I hate having to drag them into this,' Videl hissed, slumping back in her chair and her jaw setting in that determined way that let Gohan know that he was about to lose an

Gohan looked over at Bulma as she got to her feet, Drusilla mimicking her shortly after. 'Why don't we give the two of you a couple of minutes? Drusilla and Ronald need to check on their team and see how they are going with their tasks and I need to check on Bra and Vegeta.'

'Bra isn't at pre-school?' Gohan asked.

'There's this one teacher at the pre-school that I've had my eye on for the past year, she's a little too friendly when I drop Bra off and a little too observant of who Bra plays with and who she is friends with. I don't want to take the risk of Bra getting set upon by those vultures if my hunch is correct and that little Miss decides to sell the information that she has,' Bulma explained. 'Especiallynow with this whole story circling around Pan. She just needs to put two and two together and Bra will be stuck there and we won't be able to help her.'

'Understandable,' Videl said.

'I thought that the pre-school had a confidentiality policy regarding info on the kids. If she tells anything then they could be sued,' Gohan said.

'Important information like where she lives and her contact info are all under that. Who she plays with is a different matter,' Bulma said. 'Plus it gives Vegeta the chance to have a Daddy-Daughter day.'

Gohan barelysnort. Last time he was around during Daddy-Daughter day he had walked in on Vegeta taking part in a tea party, complete with tiara and feather boa. Needless to say he had decided to go home early that day - after snagging a couple of pictures and sending them to all the Z Fighters. The next time they sparred, Gohan spent more time in recovery then he did in the Gravity Room.

'Don't leave this room,' Bulma said.

'I wasn't planning on it,' Gohan said.

Neither Videl nor Gohan spoke again until the office door closed and the two of them were alone in the room.

'Well this wasn't how I was planning on spending my day,' Videl said. 'I had a couple more tests I needed to do on the new weight bands that we're developing, if they don't get done today we're going to fall behind.'

'I don't think the boss is going to get mad,' Gohan said, flicking a newspaper to the floor.

'That isn't the point that I'm trying to make,' Videl said.

'I know.'

'How the hell did this guy manage to sneak up on us anyway,' Videl said gesturing to the photos that wereat them from the glossy

Gohan had stared at the photos enough that morning to know them off by heart. One showed Videl and Pan laughing as Pan rode the little rides out the front of their favourite cafe, the second one was of his girls spinning around and the final one was of them hugging in what was meant to be a moment for just the two of them. He could feel the red hot anger burning in his chest over the invasion of privacy, his Saiyan side mad the someone had invaded a moment between its mate and offspring and had captured it for the enjoyment of others. His more rational side knew that it was going to happen eventually, but it didn't stop the feeling from building up in his chest.

'You were at the mall,' Gohan said. 'I know that you're good at Ki sensing but we both know that you still have problems sometimes trying to pick out threats in crowds as big as they were that day.'

'How is it you didn't pick it up? We were both there,' Videl said.

'If this was taken the day I think it was then it was that day I had the board meeting with Bulma about the new Station on Namek and I was an hour late, by the time I got to you and Pan for lunch that day you had already ordered for me and they were bringing it to the table,' Gohan explained. 'I was nowhere near you two when it happened.'

'I know,' Videl said, running her fingers through her shoulder length black hair. 'I'm just so pissed that his asshat decided that he could do this.'

'You told me once that these people have noconscious, that they only care about how to sell papers and magazine. It's why we had to be so careful when we were dating in High School and why we decided that we would stay under the radar afterwards,' Gohan said.

'I know, I know,' Videl said. 'Knowing that doesn't make it any easier.'

'I know,' Gohan said.

'Gohan, did we do the right thing?' Videl asked.

'What thing are you specifically referring to?' Gohan asked.

'Did we do the right thing in regards to Dad?' Videl asked.

Gohan couldn't lie. He had wondered this a thousand times over the years since he started to see Videl behind her Father's back. Each time he was going to put the point and say that they should tell him about their relationship, something would happen to drive the two Satan's apart until that night when Videl showed up at his parents’ house, her most precious things in one bag, a ton of money in another, and fury etched all over her face. Gohan knew what had happened that night. The two of them had had another fight, where Videl hadshe knew about her father’s lies and that everything thing that he had built was built on the efforts of an eleven year old boy. Mr Satan hadn't taken kindly to that and the fight had continued on to the point where Videl told him that either he pay up or that was it. He had thought that she was bluffing and after telling her to go to bed, had walked out of the room laughing about the ideas of a teenager.

Five hours later Videl was on his doorstep after packing the things that she wanted to take with her and grabbing enough money to put both Gohan and Goten through the best schools and Universities with more than enough left over for Chi-Chi and Goku to live happily for the rest of their lives. When she had been questioned Videl had answered that they deserved more but this was all she was able to withdraw from her father's account at that time, besides they deserved it more than her father did. Chi-Chi didn't argue with her, though Gohan suspected that the two of them had had a heart to heart later on, and had gone about things like Videl had always been a part of the family.

Since then neither of them had heard from her father and it wasn't like they had closed all the channels. Erasa would often see him around Satan City and the two of them would chat but according to the blonde, Earth's Champion never asked if she knew where Videl was. Videl never changed her mobile number nor close down her email address, even when she started a new one after they got married. Gohan knew the both of them were stubborn and that Videl could have easily mended the bridge but he also knew that Mr Satan had a lot of grovelling to do before he got back into Videl's good graces and so far he was just digging his hole deeper and deeper.

'Videl, I told you the night that we got engaged that I would follow your lead in regards to your Dad. I'm happy to tell you what I think but he's your Dad andit was your choice.'

'So you're saying that this could have been prevented if I wasn't so stubborn?'

'Yes and no,' Gohan said and took her hand. 'I know that your Dad hurt you, especially after he kept lying to your face after you told him that you knew the truth. I know that you don't want Pan around hisbehaviour or dragged in front of every camera like you were. But it's not like this is entirely one sided and at any point you could have mended the bridge just like he could have.'

'This isn't making me feel better,' Videl said.

'I know,' Gohan said. 'We both knew from the minute that we got together that when people found out about us that it was going to be big news. It was going to get bigger when we got married and bigger when Pan was born. I don't think, even if we had mended the bridge with your Dad, that we would have been able to stop this story. We would have had him on our side, but we wouldn't have been able to stop the story. What I'm trying to say is that we had our reasons for wanting to stay out of the lime light and we may have screwed up in terms of your Dad, we can't go back in time and fix that, however, we can try and stop it from getting out of hand and keep them away from Pan.'

'You're right,' Videl said. 'We screwed up but we have to deal with it, for Pan.'

'First things first we need to get our side out there. We'll deal with your Dad afterwards,' Gohan said.

'Ok,' Videl said. 'What do you think we should say.'

'The truth. We have no interest in being in the spotlight so we stayed under the radar. Pan is your daughter, we won't name her, and she is four years old. You can tell them what you want about me, that’s up to you, I have no problems so long as we steer them away from Pan. We say that we'rethis invasion of privacy and if we had wanted the world to know about us then we would have made a statementourselves,' Gohan explained getting to his feet and walking over to grab a glass of water.

'What about Dad's comment about you?' Videl asked.

'The one where he said that I was a coward? Or the one where he said that I was keeping you and Pan from him?' Gohan asked.

'Both.'

'I don't want to address that publicly, not yet at least. We'll meet face to face and we'll sort it out,' Gohan explained.

'Are you sure?' Videl asked.

'Completely and utterly sure,' Gohan said.

--------------------------------------------

The press surrounded the outside of Capsule Corp, swarming around and buzzing like a sea of wasps waiting to be swatted so they have ammunition to sting. Bulma had been correct when she said the Z Fighters would be happy to stand behind her when she made the statement, but in the end Videl decided that just knowing that they had her back was enough - at least for now. Goku, Chi-Chi, Pan, Goten and Trunks made their way over to Capsule Corp, the latter two making a show of standing behind her as Drusilla set the rules and tried to intimidate the press with their battle faces. Gohan and Goku stood in the shadows and were joined shortly after by Piccolo and surprisingly Vegeta, while Chi-Chi stayed inside with Bulma, Bra and Pan.

Butterflies swarmed around her stomach as she waited for Drusilla to step aside and let her speak. She knew that she had to be the one to make the statement. No one else would believe that it hadn't been concocted by her supposedly horrible andcontrollingif she didn't. She took a deep breath as Drusilla stepped to the left andmoment that she stood up at thethe butterflies disappeared and were replaced by something else, something that she could quite name.

'Good morning everyone, thank you for coming at such short notice. Earlier this morning a story broke that involved myself and my family, when it broke I had no idea that it was coming and as you can expect I am stillit. Pictures were taken of myself with a little girl that I can proudly confirm to be my daughter, who is four and the light of our family's life. She's a little bundle of energy that is hard to contain but is so filled with love andcuriosity, just like her father,' Videl said.

'My father today confirmed that we have been estranged for some time and that he doesn't know his granddaughter nor has he seen me. My husband has had not say in this, and if anything has been following my lead because he has always held the belief that this is something between my father and myself and that he does not need to become involved with it. He is only there to support me.'

'The pictures that broke todaytaken without my knowledge, or my consent and I am angered by this. Jerry Donald intruded on an intimate moment between myself and my daughter that would have been otherwise walked past if I had not been the daughter of Hercule Satan. As a result I am formally asking that the photos no longer be use, if they are then legal proceedings will begin against the publications and channels that continue to use them. I also ask that you stay away from my daughter and my family for the same reason.'

Videl looked out at the crowd and saw that they were all waiting for her to finish so they could bombard her with questions. She looked down at her written statement, knowing that she had said everything that was written on there, but something was stillher and she needed to say something. Without looking at Drusilla or back where she knew that Gohan was standing, she began to speak again.

'Her father is in no wayas some reports have suggested. He is just about one of the kindest men that you will ever meet and doesn't have a hurtful bone in his body. He's a loving father and son and quite honestly the only man that I could ever picture myself marrying let alone have a child with. These comments that have been made against him are hurtful and in no way describe him, especially as the people who are making them haven't met him, let alone know him. Today he was called a coward because he didn't front up to my father and fight him like so many others had done, trying to get the chance to date me. That is not an act ofcowardice, it is the opposite. Gohan has done everything that I asked of him in regards to my father, and he didn't go and see him face to face because he refused to get in the middle of our disagreement. He is strong in character and in mind and given the chance I know that he could beat my father. You see he did the one thing all the others were unable to do. He got me to fall in love with him and vice versa, which is something that all the other boys who tried to fight my father never managed, because they were more interested in themselves then me.'

Videl paused to catch her breath and wondered whether or not Drusilla was going to stop her. If she was, Videl didn't give her enough time tofinishing what she wanted to say.

'He doesn't need to fight my father, because regardless of what happened in any fight that they have from this point on, he's already won.'