Dragon Ball/Z/GT Fan Fiction ❯ Hybrid ❯ Escape ( Chapter 1 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Disclaimer: Read the prelude for that.
 
A/N: Continuity-wise, this story begins just as Frieza goes to Namek in search of the dragonballs. However, given that Isamu is ten at the story's beginning, this places his birth before the beginning of Dragonball Z. Anyway, enjoy.
 
I opened my eyes and was immediately met with pain; it shot up my arms, it permeated my head, it filled me. It shut out the gargling sound of the water that normally filled my ears. Even after all of this time, I was unaccustomed to it. As my vision cleared, I looked from my prison and saw familiar faces staring back at me; one, an odd looking creature with brown skin and huge eyes, scribbled on a notepad in between glances. Others, an assortment of ghastly creatures in all kinds of colors, simply observed me. The surroundings were the same as I remembered: all white, sterile, and suffocating. The room was large and round, with the creatures directly in front of me. Behind them was a metal door that opened automatically, making for easy access. I heard some discussing me, talking about my growth, my progress, and how I would soon be ready for the mission Frieza had intended for me to fulfill. I had heard his name several times during my time here, but had never seen him; I had, however, heard about my mission. During my intermittent periods of consciousness, I had pieced together my very brief history.
 
I was, as I'd heard, the product of genetic engineering, the end result of Frieza's own desires to conquer everything in his path and rule it under his name. He wished to create the perfect fighting machine, and his team of doctors combined his DNA with that of another—one by the name of Celipa. Despite Frieza's distaste of the Saiya-Jin race, he understood the value of incorporating some of their traits into the perfect warrior: their ability to become stronger after every fight would make for a tough and tenacious fighter, he reasoned. Thus, I was created, first as an embryo that only received the nutrients needed to grow and develop. Upon what would be the equivalent of my birth, however, more was added: the IVs in my arms gave me nutrients, but also increased by musculature in both size and density. Another, located near the base of my brainstem, had been inserted only days ago. It directly transmitted techniques—as well as basic actions such as speaking and thought-- into my brain. I was unsure how the last one worked, however; the only thing that I knew about it was that it caused me tremendous pain, so much that I would black out after extended periods. The fluid that surrounded me was my only companion, the sounds of it rushing and gargling serving to soothe me during my rest. I had never been outside of the containment unit in my life; thus, the very basics of myself had been withheld from me; if someone were to ask of my appearance, I would be just as clueless as they would be. I didn't even know my own name.
 
My time in the unit had taught me one thing, though: patience. I had no desire to follow this mission that had been assigned to me, not because of some moral stance or anything like that, though; I simply had no desire to destroy planets in the name of a figure that I had never even seen. However, up until this point, I did not feel as though I would be able to resist those on the outside should I try and escape. Fear of being placed into another, more secure unit forced me to resist the urge of escaping; instead, I decided to use the situation to my advantage. I would continue to develop and grow, until I felt it safe to leave this place. My leaving didn't have a rhyme, or reason; I didn't know the slightest thing about the facility in which I resided, so I had to hope that I could find a way out of here. However, what if I failed? What would happen to me? Would I be killed? Forced to follow Frieza's orders? As doubts began to fill me, a voice from outside caught my attention. One of the drones had rushed into the room and began to speak.
 
“Sir! I just received word from Lord Frieza! The subject is to be released and briefed on his mission within the next 24 hours!”
 
The note-taker looked up from his pad and back at the drone. “But the subject is not ready! He still needs more time to process the battle technique information! He is unprepared right now!”
 
“Lord Frieza's orders! Release the subject within the next 24 hours! Unless you want to be the one to explain your insubordination to him!”
 
I kept my eyes still, making sure to look straight ahead at all times. I did not want them to be aware of the fact that I could hear what was going on. The brown-skinned one who had been writing notes earlier looked up from his pad and looked toward the speaker before nodding slowly and gesturing for him to leave. I cursed inwardly; I was quickly running out of time, and if I blacked out again, I would never get the chance to escape from this prison. The pain that I had briefly blocked by thinking slowly returned; I wanted to scream in pain, but something from inside of me prevented me from doing so. My head burned from the needle at the base of my skull as my eyes felt heavy. My eyes grew wide as I realized what was happening: I would lose consciousness again soon if I did not take action. Quickly, my eyes scanned the area around me: there were about 20 of the creatures in the room, and more in the rest of the facility. I'd have to move fast to have a hope of making it out alive. I closed my eyes and gulped hard as my heart rate sped up; it felt as though it would leap out of my chest. As my fists clenched, a loud beeping sound forced me to open my eyes again. The note-taker was looking at a monitor next to my containment unit, rapidly scribbling in his pad again.
 
“His heart rate is increasing! Get a tech in here this instant!”
 
I couldn't wait for another to come. I had to escape. I closed my eyes again, and in one quick motion, lifted my arms to free them of the IVs that were attached. Pain shot up both of my arms, and for the first time in my life, I screamed in pain as the clear fluid became stained with dark red. I wasn't free yet, though; I brought my hands to the back of my head, and yanked the needle from my brain. My screams grew louder, more hoarse as a hot, stinging sensation overtook the now-open wound. More blood poured into the tank, and IVs floating in the tank in front of me as I reared back a fist in order to shatter the glass around me. As I prepared to, I looked down to see the horrified look of the others in the room; they screamed for assistance, and more creatures poured into the room, quickly crowding it. I continued to ignore the pain as my hand effortlessly went through the glass, shattering it; shards dug into my skin and left trails of blood down my arm as I leaped from the platform that the containment unit rested upon. I faced my captors and bared my teeth as instinct took over. One approached me and grabbed my shoulder, but I grabbed him by his arm and flung him into a group in front of me. I sprinted for the door in the back, attempting to dodge the group that closed in on me; a fist connected with the side of my face, throwing me off balance but not knocking me down. In retaliation, I spun around, throwing my own punch and connecting with the nearest person in the area; I winced inwardly as bone crunched under the blow of my fist, my victim dropping before me. I had broken his neck with the impact of my blow. I stared at the group in front of me, now paralyzed with fear upon my display. I backed up and left the room, running towards somewhere, anywhere that would take me from this place.
 
I rounded a corner and ran into three more henchmen; before they could react, I struck them, swinging my leg at one's abdomen, forcing him to cough up green blood; to ensure his demise, I stepped on his neck, snapping it under my heel. The other pointed his laser at me, preparing to shoot; before he could, it punched straight at his chest, breaching his armor and knocking his backwards. He met the same fate as his comrade, his neck snapped viciously under my foot. Looking down, I decided that the laser would be of use; it had looked easy enough to use, as they had only squeezed a trigger on the underside of the mechanism to shoot at me. I took one from the second guard I had killed, slipped it on my arm, and continued running down the hallway; as I did, I spotted a circular pod outside of one of the windows. I remembered hearing one of the lab technicians talking about them, something about how uncomfortable the damn things were. I pointed the laser at the metal door in front of me and blasted it open as opposed to simply running through it, rushing out as the sounds of more guards grew louder. I ran down the long white runway that led to the pods, the constant shots of the lasers burning my back as I did. I continued to ignore them, not allowing them to bring me down. I had come too far to be stopped now. I turned again and sent a few shots back at the approaching group, smirking a little when a few fell from the blasts. As I reached one of the ships, the door opened before me and I hopped in; the buttons on the panel lay before me, and I impatiently slammed my hand down on it, hoping that it would take me away from here. I had no idea how to work the controls or where to go. I didn't care. The door closed, the door absorbing the impact of the laser blasts that connected with it. The thrust of the engine boomed below me, and the pod lifted from the ground, my captors becoming smaller and smaller below me. I exhaled sharply, relieved at my escape. My victory was short-lived, though, as I passed out from the pain soon afterward.