Dragon Ball/Z/GT Fan Fiction ❯ Paint it Black ❯ Betrayal ( Chapter 5 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
A/N: Well, it's taken a little bit for this chapter to come out and I apologize. I've posted the first chapter of both my original fic and my B/V get together, so that's taken up some time, as well as an original romance that I may or may not decide to post. I've also had a lot of schoolwork (this includes a huge biography on a fictional character! *kills*) due to the fact that second term is coming to an end.

Anyways, enough about why the chapter's out when it is. Just read. ^.^

Chapter 5: Betrayal

Vegeta let out a groan and turned his head to the side. He felt as though he were submerged in water, yet he could breathe perfectly. Perhaps he was laying in a pool of his own blood, but he didn't feel injured at all. It was actually just the opposite. He felt full of energy, as though he had just had a long sleep. Maybe this was what death felt like. Revitalizing.

He opened his eyes to look at his surroundings and was surprised to see that he was in water. In a tank, more specifically, with a round window directly in front of him. Outside he saw two creatures typing away on keyboards. Both were wearing armour. Of course, he realized. The regeneration tank!

He tugged on the oxygen mask on his face, adjusting it before examining himself. He seemed to be perfectly healed, except for a nasty gash on his right side. A pain shot suddenly shot through his body as he spotted the slash. He hadn't felt it before.

Must be why they haven't let me out yet, he reasoned. I should be healed soon, though. He settled back in the seat and tried to remember what had happened, how he had gotten so injured. His memory came back to him in bits and he snatched at them, trying to hang on so he could piece them together. He blinked as he remembered something from long ago, a fear he had never known before, yet one that seemed familiar at the same time.

I was suddenly grabbed around the waist and lifted into the air. I let out a shout of surprise, before snarling and firing a Ki blast at the constraining appendage. Though it was a direct hit, the owner didn't seem to notice. The smoke was already clearing, though my eyes still stung, and I squeezed them shut, trying to relieve them of the pain.

"There is only one treaty I will sign," I heard Frieza declare and with horror, I realized that it was he would held me in the air. I turned, peering through the smoke, and saw that he had his tail wrapped around me, his arms crossed as he faced the conference room. Turning, I saw my father standing there, his eye twitching, and all the second and first class warriors behind him.

All came back to him in a rush. His trip to Ellom-sei, his sleepless night in the washroom, Frieza in the training facility... He winced at the memories. It's a wonder I'm not dead! he thought. He pulled his knees to his chest as he flattened himself against the back of the chair as though trying to disappear.

Why did he do that? he thought. All I did was go to another planet! He didn't have to... He bit his tongue to keep from thinking the next words. He didn't want to admit that he had been beat. He was a Saiya-jin prince. He was not brought to the brink of death so easily.

I can't stay here any longer! What if he decides to do it again!? I can't let him. His vow made, he tore the mask off his face and blasted the window of the regeneration tank. The liquid flooded out onto the floor and the medics jumped up in surprise. Vegeta stepped out of the tank, more than thankful he wasn't completely bare. He stepped gingerly on his right leg, trying at the same time to appear as though he was unaffected.

"Vegeta! What are you doing?" one medic exclaimed. "You're not fit to leave yet! Now we'll have to get you into a new tank."

"I'm ready," he snarled in reply, "and I'm leaving."

"That's a nasty cut you've got," the other medic said, pointing to the slice in his side. "You should rest further."

"No! Like you said, it's only a cut, and no cut's going to stop me." He walked across the wet floor, gritting his teeth to keep from crying out in pain. He put his weight on each foot equally. He would not look hindered by the "cut."

"Well, if you must go," the first medic complied, "then at least put some clothes on." He gestured towards a new spandex outfit and armour.

Vegeta said nothing more as he tugged on the spandex, followed by the armour, boots and gloves. Then he stomped out of the room, ignoring the medics' exasperated sighs.

He stepped into the hall and immediately felt all eyes on him. They're surprised I'm alive, he thought, like I am. He forced himself to walk steadily and not limp as he proceeded down the corridor towards his room. He could feel the gazes continue to pierce his back even as he rounded the corner.

When he was out of sight, he eased up on his injured leg, putting little pressure on it. He was limping heavily and his pace had slowed considerably but he wouldn't let anything stop him from leaving. No pain or person was going to stand between him and freedom.

He opened the door to his room and hobbled in. He began to take a couple training outfits from his dresser as well as his scouter. He frowned at the small pile as it occurred to him how little personal things he had. He opened the closet to find more things and make the pile larger. It was all mental, he knew, but he thought it would make him feel better.

His closet hadn't been opened in ages and a cloud of dust came whooshing out as he pulled open the door. He coughed and swiped it away before peering inside. The closet was almost empty but there were a few things. His old teddy bear, a picture of his planet and one of him as a toddler. He smirked as he saw that even then he looked proud and arrogant. The perfect image of a warrior, he thought.

Though these things weren't needed, he decided to take them anyway. He wouldn't be back and one day he might want them. He added them to the pile on his bed.

He was surprised to see that he still had these things; they had been brought to him shortly after he had gone with Frieza, a delivery from his father. He was ashamed that his father had known about the bear and even more embarrassed that it had been brought to him. Warriors didn't have stuffed animals, not at the age of eight. He made a point of looking at it disgustedly and throwing it into the closet along with the pictures that had also been sent. And there they had remained for three years, forgotten.

He stared at the pile, suddenly realizing he had no way to carry his few belongings. He hoped he wouldn't have to leave it behind; the training outfits would be needed, if nothing else. Then he remembered that everyone had been given a small suitcase a couple years before in case they were sent on long missions. Vegeta had never used his and had actually forgotten about it, just like the animal and photographs.

Where did I put it..? he wondered as he looked in the closet again, only to find it empty. He had taken everything out. He frowned, looking about the small room, frowning. I need that suitcase! he thought. He dropped to his hands and knees and peered under the bed. He saw it, covered in dust, at the very back, pressed against the wall. He sighed and, trying not to breathe, slid across the dust-slicked floor under the bed to grab it. Then he crawled back out and brushed himself off.

The suitcase was smaller than he had remembered, it was more like a duffel bag, but there was more than enough room for all his things and he proved this by shoving everything inside. Then without any further thought, Vegeta grasped the suitcase by the handle and walked out of the room. He didn't bother waiting for a time when there would be less people in the halls. He often saw warriors walking towards the docking bay, suitcases in hand.

The docking bay was more or less empty; only the two creatures who made sure everything was in order and a team of three that was departing. He began walking in the direction of his pod before he stopped short, realizing a flaw in his plan.

If he left with his pod without having a mission, it would be noticed immediately and Frieza would have people after him in an instant. He wasn't about to wait for Frieza to assign him another mission; he had no idea when that would be and he had vowed he would leave that day. He had told himself that nothing would stand in his way and he had meant it.

"Where are going, Vegeta?"

The prince turned at his name and saw Nappa standing behind him. "I'm going on a mission," the boy replied coolly. What else would I be doing?"

"You don't have a mission," Nappa accused. "You just got out of the medical room. And it's not like Frieza's going to send you on another mission so soon after what you did."

Vegeta scowled deeply. He was more than ashamed at having been beaten; it was worse that an idiotic fighter like Nappa had to rub it in. "Think what you'd like," Vegeta said, dismissive.

"Where are you going?" Nappa asked again and Vegeta sighed.

This man was a fellow Saiya-jin and had been more or less devoted to serving Vegeta since birth. He felt that he could trust the warrior; Nappa wouldn't rat him out.

"I'm running away, okay?" Vegeta hissed angrily, glancing around to see if there were any eavesdroppers. "Are you happy now?"

"Running away!" The shock Nappa felt was apparent on his face. "Frieza's going to kill you for that!"

"He will not," Vegeta snorted proudly. "I won't be caught."

The sound of a pod coming to life caught Vegeta's attention and he turned. Someone was obviously going on a mission but they had yet to arrive in the docking bay. He smirked as an idea came to him. He turned back to Nappa.

"Tell anyone and you will sorely regret it," he threatened and Nappa nodded his head vigorously. "Maybe I'll see you around someday," he smirked as he spun around and ran towards the pod before anyone could say anything more.

He threw himself into the padded seat and pushed the button, closing the door.

"Welcome back, Rytai," the voice said. Vegeta didn't recognize the name but it didn't matter. If the Rytai guy needed a pod, his was vacant, and would be from that moment on.

The pod began to rise and the ceiling opened, allowing the ship to exit. He checked the pod's co-ordinates, finding that he was headed to Lioa-sei.

Lioa-sei, he thought. Didn't that girl say she was from there? He shrugged, figuring he must be mistaken. The coincidence was too great for him to meet a Lioa-jin and then be running away to that very planet.

He placed the suitcase at his feet and leaned back in the chair, pressing a small button with his finger to allow himself to fall into a cold sleep.

***

"Lord Frieza, I have some information for you," he said, bowing deeply.

The warlord turned to face him. "Is that so? What do you know?"

The man took a deep, shaky breath before speaking. "Vegeta is running away, my Lord. He stole a pod from the docking bay. I do not know where it was headed but it had just come on and those in the bay should know its co-ordinates."

"What!?" Frieza's voice was on the verge of a shriek. "Someone run away from me? He's even stupider than he looks!" The glass in Frie za's hand broke as his anger rose, a red liquid dripping down his balled fists.

"I wouldn't worry too much, Lord Frieza," a pink-skinned creature said. He stood alongside Zarbon and Nappa knew him as Dodoria. "It won't be much trouble catching a little brat like Vegeta."

"That's not the point," Frieza snarled as he looked back at Nappa. "You and... Khune are to find out where he's gone and follow him. Don't return until you've got him, dead or alive."

Nappa nodded slowly, standing. He left the room and sighed upon reaching the hall, leaning heavily on the wall. A few passersby eyed him curiously but didn't dwell as they went on their way.

Why did I do that? he asked himself. Why? He slammed his fists against the wall angrily. Forgive me, my prince...

***

Okay, fifth chapter. Sorry about the wait. I've been so busy. Hope it was worth it. Chapter 6: Safety Amongst Us will, hopefully, be out shortly.