Dragon Ball/Z/GT Fan Fiction ❯ Puppy Love Series ❯ More then Puppy Love ( Chapter 5 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
Title: Puppy Love Series: More then Puppy Love

Author: Slytherinette

Rating: PG13

Summery: Goten and Trunks come to terms with their feelings.

Notes: This is the last installment. I re-did some stuff in the previous chapters if you went though and re-read them (nothing big, mostly editing.) This is A LOT more serious then the previous chapters, but still fluffy as cotton candy.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

6 MONTHS LATER

Goten dogged the well aimed fist then lifted his arm blocking the next. Without having time to counter he had to lift his leg to block Trunks’ knee from going into his gut then immediately blocked Trunks’ right arm from smashing into his face.

This game had cased to be sparing and consisted of Goten doing everything he could just to dodge. For a solid hour Trunks had laid in punch after punch, and, even though there was an unspoken rule bout going super or using ki blasts, Goten could feel Trunks’ ki spark higher and higher till now his purple hair was standing on end. Goten raised his own energy to match it, but it wasn’t enough.

Finally there was an opening and Goten went for it, his left fist flying forward to crash on his friend’s jaw, but it only hit air. Before Goten could even process what was happening a kick to side sent him flying to the ground in an uncontrollable spiral.

He caught himself, landing deftly on one foot, but exhaustion caused him to loose his balance and fall back, hitting the earth with a loud “humph.”

He closed his eyes. He was so getting his ass kicked and Trunks was doing it without mercy.

“Time out, time out!” Goten yelled, “You win, I give up.”

Trunks gave no reply as he lowered himself and landed next to him. The younger boy lifted his hand to the sky, blocking the low but bright sun from abusing his eyes. His dark eyes met blue and Trunks scoffed.

“My father is right, you’re getting lazy. I hope no one decides to attack the earth anytime soon, because you would be useless.” The proud Demi-Saiyan crossed his arms over his chest.

Goten sighed deeply, closing his eyes and letting his arm drop. Trunks was right, even though his words hurt deeply. He hadn’t been training, but Goten was a social creature and didn’t like training alone. The only time he did anything that didn’t involve a video game or manga was when Trunks came over. With his father Dende-knows-where at any given time and Trunks’ visits slowly spacing out farther and farther apart he spent most the time entertaining himself.

The last 6 months had been long and lonely for Goten. Everything seemed to hinge on when Trunks felt it was convenient to see him. Then when they DID see each other Trunks was so intense that Goten felt like he was in the presence of Vegeta.

Frankly, it made him a bit nervous.

“I don't have anyone else to train with. You at least have Vegeta.” Goten countered.

“I don't train with my dad that much, you know that.” Trunk moved towards the woods and Goten jumped up to follow him.

“Why not,” he asked then muttered, “It must be nice to at least HAVE your father around.” No, Goten wasn’t bitter.

“Why? Where is your father?”

“Don’t ask me. He comes home for a few days, eats, then leaves.” No, no, not bitter at all. God forbid you spend the first 7 years of your life with a dead father that he spend any time with you after he comes back to life.

Trunks didn’t say anything, sensing Goten’s antipathy. He had known Goku stayed gone a lot but he didn’t know that Goten resented it so much.

They stopped when they came to a clear pond. He had half expected Goten to jump in it with childish glee, but Goten just plopped down on the bank, a deep thoughtful frown on his face. Trunks hesitated awkwardly before sitting next to him.

Goten felt so alone, even though his best friend was sitting right next to him. He felt like he was being pushed away, but he couldn’t figure out why. He wanted to ask but to ask would bring the problem out into the open. They had both been delicately voiding the fact there was an issue at all.

It took a long minute before he could finally look up and over to Trunks and voice his question.

“Trunks... is there something wrong?”

Trunks looked over to Goten, who was giving him an intense look. It me his stomach hurt and his chest ache. “No, what makes you think that?”

Goten’s look shifted a little and he looked a bit like a pouting child. “Because this is the first time you have seen me in a month, we use to not be able to go a week without seeing each other.”

Trunks frowned and looked out to the water, avoiding his friend’s gaze. It wasn’t that there was something wrong... not wrong... but not really right ether.

“I’ve been busy,” Trunks replied with a shrug, “I’ll be taking entrance exams soon, and Mom is really driving me crazy to study.”

Goten’s sulk deepened. “Oh.” He looked away, feeling a burn behind his eyes. Trunks was busy, that was all, to busy for him. There was a pain in his heart that he couldn’t quite define, but it burned his chest and made him feel a bit sick.

“Goten…” Trunks started, but found he didn’t know what to say. The sun was getting lower and lower in the sky, a brilliant orange painted the horizon. For a long while nether said anything, unable to know what to say. The distance between then seemed as though it were getting larger and larger with each silent second even though they were sitting less then a foot from one another.

It was heavy and thick and nether youth felt like they could breathe, much less speak. Goten was sure if he said something he would start crying, and he didn’t want to look like a baby in front of Trunks. Trunks simply didn’t know what to say; he didn’t even know where to start. Any attempt to comfort the younger one would only lead to Trunks saying something stupid.

With a heavy sigh, Trunks stood up. “It’s getting late. I told Mom I would be back before dark.” Goten made no reaction to his words, just looked impassively to the side, a deep sorrow in his eyes.

“I’ll... see you later, okay?” He wanted Goten to respond, do something. If he left like this then the distance between them would turn impassable and create a scar between them that would never heal, and his words would become empty.

He realized with a desperate pain in his chest that he didn’t want that. He didn’t want to go; he wanted to stay with Goten with every inch of his being.

But Goten didn’t move, he didn’t blink, and Trunks felt his heart drop. It hurt, so much.

He stepped back, turning to go. Maybe it was to late... maybe what was one was done. He could think of a million things he should have done to keep this from happing, but it was all too late now.

“Trunks.” Suddenly Goten reached up and grabbed Trunks’ right hand, holding it with both hands. Goten let out an unsteady breath and leaned over, resting his forehead on the back of the hand he held. “Don’t…”

Don't… please don't…

Goten tightened his hold, desperately clinging to Trunks. The turmoil in Trunks’ heart was mirrored by Goten’s. Both of them could feel it like being hit by waves from both sides and neither one was able to fight the undercurrent that threatened to drag them down.

“You have been so distant… ever since…” the kiss. It was true, Trunks couldn’t deny it. The kiss that happened six months ago was as fresh to Trunks as Goten’s words. Goten had no idea what it had done to him, how he felt. Trunks couldn’t even begin to explain it in words that Goten could understand.

Goten hid his eyes from Trunks as tears started to form in his eyes. “Trunks, please... don't leave me.”

An eternity passed before Trunks nodded and sat back down. “Goten.” He looked to his hand, Goten was still clutching it. Although it was lowered, Goten kept his head bowed, his eyes hidden from Trunks. He was relieved Trunks hadn’t pulled away and Trunks was thankful Goten had stopped him. The pain in both their hearts was alleviated somewhat.

“Goten…” he started again. “I don't even know where to start.”

“The truth would be nice. Start with that. You kissed me then you didn’t want anything to do with me unless it was punching me in the face.”

Trunks was startled by Goten’s words. That wasn’t it. “That’s not at all true!”

“Yes it is! You didn’t call me for 3 weeks after you kissed me, then I’m lucky if I hear from you once a month and when you do call me you just want to spar, if you can even call it sparing!” He shook his head, fighting tears of anger. “You spend the whole time trying to pound my face in!”

Trunks bit back the remark that he wouldn’t be pummeling him if Goten trained more, but he realized it would only serve to hurt Goten further. He bowed his head, a bit shamed.

“I’m sorry. I was just frustrated.”

“With what?”

Trunks just shook his head. “I don’t know.” And he didn’t. Perhaps he had felt a little rejected by Goten pushing him away when he had kissed him. He realized that this was illogical on some level. The kiss had been an experiment and Goten had been overwhelmed, but Trunks had FELT something; something deep that he couldn’t explain.

He loved Goten, needed him, even. He couldn’t bare rejection. Those weren’t just words that Trunks could just say out loud.

“Tell me.” Goten insisted. “Talk to me. I’m your best friend, aren't I?” The last bit was added with doubt in his voice and Trunks looked up sharply.

“Of course you are!”

“Then TALK to me.” Goten demanded, squeezing the still captured hand tightly.

Trunks sighed again and ran the hand Goten wasn’t crushing though his hair, something he usually did when frustrated. “It’s just not that simple.”

The younger Saiyan frowned. “You don’t think I’ll understand.”

He paused before he replied. “Maybe.” But before Goten could get in a huff about Trunks thinking he was smarter, he finished. “But I don't understand it ether. Goten...” He looked at his friend, practically begging him to understand without words. When Goten only replied with a look that showed he was even more confused, Trunks gave up.

“It was just a kiss Goten. I was curious. I’m sorry I drug you into it.”

Goten’s eyes turned from confused to a glare. Trunks really had no clue. “This is about the kiss? You haven’t talked to me because of the kiss?”

Trunks pulled back, taken aback with Goten’s declaration. “But… I mean... You pushed me away. And I…”

“I couldn’t breathe!”

Trunks blinked for a long moment, looking incredulous. “You can breathe though your nose.”

Goten glared harder at this statement. “I didn’t know that! I haven’t ever kissed anyone before!”

“Well, nether had I, and I figured it out.”

There was a long moment of nothing before Trunks burst out laughing. The gravity of moment was disintegrated but Goten was not amused at all.

“You haven’t talked to me... you have beat the hell out of me because of that?”

Trunks fell forward, laughing, “I’m sorry ... I ...” but he was unable to stop, hardly getting in a breath between the laughter. It was laughter of relief and frustration. He couldn’t believe himself or Goten. He had fretted for months over this and Goten hadn't even thought about it twice. He had half convinced himself Goten hated the kiss or that he even hated Trunks. He had pushed Goten away because he thought it would make the rejection better to deal with.

But Goten hadn’t even rejected him!

He finally stopped laughing, calming down. It had been such a big deal to him. He had imagined a million things Goten must have thought about him. In his head he had went over a thousand things he should have done differently after the kiss, he had pictured how he should have NOT kissed Goten at all.

“It’s not funny.” Goten said flatly.

Trunks agreed. It really, really wasn’t. “I thought you hated me.” He finally said after he caught his breath.

“I thought you hated me!” Goten replied. “I didn’t know what to think...”

“I don’t. I could never hate you.” He said as he closed his eyes. As confused as Trunks’ feelings were that was the one truth.

“And I couldn’t hate you.” Goten said softly, his own eyes looking down to their hands.

Trunks looked up to Goten’s face with those words. He had never considered it before, but Goten had an attractive face. As much as he had looked like his father when he was younger, many of his mother’s genetics had become more predominate as he had grown older.

Looking at his face now, into eyes that radiated total innocence, he knew, without a doubt, that he loved Goten and he had loved him his entire life.

He lowered his eyes to their hands. Maybe that was why it hadn’t seemed so big to Goten. This... this was natural, like their entire life had been a prequel to this realization.

Trunks leaned forward, placing his forehead on Goten’s. “Goten, this is going to sound really weird, and totally unmanly like, but I really think that I love you.”

Goten creased his brow, pouting (a much cuter look the a frown.) “Idiot. I love you, too. I always have and always will. And I know you have as well. I can feel it. I always have been able to.”

Trunks looked at Goten, at a total loss. He was the head in their relationship, always had been, but Goten had always been the heart. He felt like an idiot for not recognizing such a basic emotion before now.

“Damn it, Goten. Why couldn’t you have told me this before? I really would have liked to have known this six freaking months ago.” Trunks growled in aggravation, frustrated at his ignorance of his own heart.

Goten glare at him again, but didn’t pull back, happy, oh so happy to have Trunks so close. “Well, sorry you’re a total idiot.”

Trunks shook his head, his free hand coming up to touch Goten’s neck, and Goten entangled his fingers with the hand he still held confined.

“When you pushed away,” he admitted, “It hurt. I can’t explain it but it had hurt, it was like you were rejecting me. It scared me how vulnerable I became.”

“I would never hurt you, ever. And I know with all my heart you wouldn’t hurt me.” It amazed Trunks how astute Goten really was. He had always been the smart one, he had prided himself of it, but Goten knew the heart – his heart – better then even Trunks.

“I have no idea what I’m doing.”

Goten only smiled. “We will figure it out, right?”

Together.

Trunks closed his eyes, content with that thought, even though none of this was in his nature. He was aware that what they felt wouldn’t be widely accepted, that hurdles were bound to rise. But, really, that didn’t matter. He was gonna have Goten with him.

Goten pulled back a moment but warm soft lips quickly pressed against his. Trunks gave a start, pulling back, his eyes wide in surprise. The younger boy just smiled softly at him, assurance in written on his face before he leaned forward again. This time he was prepared and met Goten halfway. There was no confusion in the emotions that welled up in his chest; only a quiet certainty.

Trunks groaned as Goten opened his mouth, giving Trunks permission to deepen the kiss, which Trunks did greedily.

Perhaps to some it would seem strange, a boy kissing his male best friend with such passion, but to two boys whose relationship was as natural as walking; this was just the next step.

The End

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Maybe I’ll start the sequeling series, maybe not. If I do, it will be called “Soul Mate Series.” If you have this story on Story Alert, I'll post something here to alert you if i do. Even still, I will have to see if inspiration comes to me. I realize this is a LONG time coming but I wanted it to end perfectly.

I have to thank the hundred or more of reviews I have gotten over the years for this. This really is my baby and I’m glad to finally say I completed a story for once.