Dragon Ball/Z/GT Fan Fiction ❯ Royal Namekian Blues ❯ New Man of the House ( Chapter 6 )

[ Y - Young Adult: Not suitable for readers under 16 ]

Royal Namekian Blues II
By StarbearerTM
Another What if A/U
Rating PG13 for language and implied mature content. No lemon though, just a citrus twist.
Disclaimer: I don't' own Dragon Ball Z, Toriyama does, and Funimation. I don't get rich or make any money, and this means no harm to the anime or manga. It is fan fiction.

Chapter 6
Over the next three months, Vegeta found ways of making himself busy, apart from training in the wilderness around West Central City. When he wasn't spending it with Bulma, pestering and puttering with her in her lab, he was testing new power levels in his anxious wait for Goku. Two weeks passed during which he shared his knowledge of Saiyan space engineering with Bulma so she could give her father the boost he needed to finish his experimental Capsule crafts. Months of work were completed in mere days thanks to Vegeta, and the Briefs were stunned at his technical skills. Not to mention Bulma, who was shocked that someone so deadly a fighter could be so creative an inventor? It had been the Prince who'd suggested a superior alloy to line the chamber of Capsule 3 in order to convert it to his personal trainer. Within a few weeks they had it up and running.
Vegeta had been thrilled beyond words, although he expressed it in his usual grunt. Within the last three months, Bulma had deciphered his personal code of snorts and mumbling. Between making love to her Prince at night and waking to plunge into lab work she felt happier than she had in years. Most of the time Vegeta trained with a new series of hyper gravity resistant bots, bouncing his own ki balls off them like a wild game of pinball. From one bot to the next his ki ball would ricochet so he could throw a greater force against it.
Unfortunately the whirlwind of joy had not lasted for long when Vegeta announced he was going to go find Goku in space. Initially he'd wanted to leave that first night, but delays in adapting capsule 4 set those plans back a month or so. His flights would be sporadic weekend jaunts to test the new rocket fuel he helped Dr. Briefs develop. During one of the quick jaunts Bulma had suggested Vegeta should publish his research and get it patented so he could derive his own personal source of income. It severely hampered his pride that he had nothing to offer her as her Prince in the way of wealth.
Slowly the trips were increased in length so Vegeta would spend up to an entire week skimming the solar system for any sign of Goku. Expanding his ki sensing to the maximum level he desperately cast his net in the hopes of glimpsing a flicker of Kakkarot's powers. While waiting, he would dodge meteorites as part of his regiment while flipping from one to the other in zero G. Sometimes he would skim past Jupiter and use its gravity well to test his newfound attacks in a strong field of weight.
Two weeks ago he had set out on his longest trip. Bulma obviously missed him badly, for she locked herself in the lab for hours on end, only stopping to eat or drink. Although Dr. Briefs was very pleased that Capsule 3 worked so well, and that the new houseguest had volunteered to test Capsule 4 he was worried about Bulma during these times. He had to admit he was nervous about the Prince of wherever, and yet was pleasantly surprised when Vegeta had insisted on taking it up into orbit to look for Bulma's friend Goku. Just why she expected him to come from space was beyond him, but he knew better than to question anything where the Z fighters were concerned. One thing to him was certain, that his daughter was closely infatuated with the new houseguest. Vegeta's dedication to his fighting and space piloting suitably impressed the scientist. So when Bunny would drop hints about catching the young couple in the act, he warmed to the idea that his daughter had all but forgotten Yamcha and moved onto a much more desirable suitor.
Bulma and Vegeta at first elected to keep their mating bond a secret till their parents were more comfortable with Vegeta's constant presence. Fortunately both of Bulma's parents were aloof enough to keep well out of Bulma's private life in the bedroom. Or so he thought. Bunny was very much aware of the fact that Vegeta's bed had not been slept in every night; rather her daughter's room was the choice place for their nocturnal Olympics.
One day, Dr. Briefs exited his lab to fetch himself a cup of coffee. He sneaked a glance at Bulma who was sitting in the kitchen humming to herself. For some reason, Bulma's stomach seemed to be bothering her much lately. Bunny had expressed concerns regarding Bulma's strange appetites, insisting that Bulma may be pregnant. Dr. Briefs chalked it up to Bunny's insanity, and ignored half of what his wife said at the breakfast table. What he noticed was the sad thoughtful look on his daughter's face as she locked herself in the lab and worked feverishly on the GR for Vegeta.
"It's not natural. That girl needs to take a break," said Bunny. "She misses her young man so much."
"She takes after me in that regard. She's been working on that GR for ages. I hope she remembers that she has friends asking about her," he mumbled. "What was THAT about a young man?"
"The prince you silly!" Mrs. Briefs said, tugging on his cheek. She carried a tray with several mugs and a teakettle.
"Oh? You mean my new test pilot? I guess our little princess has been pretty sad since he took off. are you seriously thinking that?
"Honey, it's so romantic isn't it? Our daughter's finally in love," Bunny cooed.
"Wouldn't it be about TIME she decided to settle down and give us some grandchildren?" Dr. Briefs chuckled. "I wouldn't mind teaching a few young scientists a little about the family business."
"Oh I can just IMAGINE how lovely their babies will be. I'm going to have to dig out those old wedding plans," Bunny giggled, giving Dr. Briefs a hug and a kiss that sent him reeling.
Bulma barely noticed her mother and father just outside. Nevertheless she did hear the faint rattle of china indicating her mother was bringing her a cup of much needed tea into the laboratory. Momentarily Bulma glanced over at the seat across the lab bench. She could imagine Vegeta sitting there disputing various schemes for the hyper gravity chamber she was developing. Together they had spent long nights debating and arguing over modifications of her father's initial designs.
"Vegeta, come back soon. I miss you so much," Bulma whispered, putting down her soldiering iron. She stared through the window of the laboratory to the sky beyond, praying that Vegeta could somehow hear her. If she closed her eyes and concentrated hard enough she could feel his presence as if he were right nearby. Sometimes she could even sense what he was thinking or feeling at a particular moment. To her that seemed as natural as breathing. Ever since they had first made love on Namek she had glimpses of his past, his thoughts of the present, and hopes for the future.
She readjusted the yellow scarf she came to wear so often. Bulma had a whole drawer full of scarves in various colors and patterns of silk. Never would she go without wearing something around her neck to conceal the mark that denoted her as the mate of the Prince of Saiyans. While fingering her scarf and staring out into space, she felt a sudden burst of excitement. Blue eyes popped open wide and a smile spread over her somber face.
"He's coming back," Bulma grinned, leaping up from her lab bench and dancing out into the hallway. She waltzed past her mother carrying the tea tray.
"Bulma sweetie what's gotten into you?"
"My prince is coming back mom!" Bulma giggled like a schoolgirl. She stopped before her mother, folding her hands just to the side of her chin.
"Oh my, I'd better put some coffee on. I know he always likes a cup right when he walks in, and you'd better get him a fresh change of clothes ready, and a nice HOT shower," Bunny winked.
"Mother!" Bulma groaned, flushing bright pink. "What if he doesn't like the new shirt I got him?"
"Come on dear! He'll love the fact that it's the LATEST fashion, and the lettering on the back is SO him," Bunny giggled. Bulma scooped up the cup of tea and sipped it as she nodded to her mother.
"There's so much to do. I'm gonna go make sure that there's a change of fresh sheets and towels on our… his bed," she stammered. Bunny winked at her daughter, her own heart leaping at the hope of grandchildren.
Minutes later, Bulma pushed her way into the bathroom. She knelt before the porcelain bowl and offered up her breakfast to the swirling water. Gasping she hugged her stomach. "Oh my!" her mother gasped, pushing the door open. "Are you all right?"
"I feel sick. I HATE this," Bulma groaned.
"Again dear? This is the third time this week," Bunny said. "If I were you I'd use this…"
"Mom, a PREGNANCY TEST?" Bulma squealed as her mother pushed a pink box into her hand.
"I've noticed your cravings, just like I was when I was expecting you. it's so exciting."
"Mother… I… it's embarrassing," Bulma swallowed, letting her mother hand her a washcloth to mop herself off with. She tossed the pregnancy test on the counter while Bunny helped her to sit on the side of the tub.
"Sweetie, I know you love him," Bunny said. "And there's NOTHING wrong with it. How do you think YOU got here?”
"Come on Mom, it's just so sudden."
"I know you two are together. and if there's anything you need, you know where to find us. Your father will be SO thrilled."
"Mom, chill. I need to take the test first, and I'm just hoping he'll be happy."
"I hope he marries you sweetie, there's still plenty of time before you start showing. I didn't till my third month," Bunny smiled, rubbing Bulma's abdomen.
"Please Mom, it's embarrassing. I mean I AM married," she blurted out.
"Oh, when and where? Did you two elope?"
"We got married according to his planet's customs. where he comes from it's private," Bulma whispered, blushing profusely. "I don't know if he'd want a huge public wedding. we've been keeping it a secret, because I was afraid you and daddy wouldn't like him."
"Dear I already KNEW you two were together. After all, why else do you have that LARGE hickey on your neck you're always trying to hide," Bunny giggled.
"Busted," Bulma groaned.

Down at the front gate, a young visitor walked through as the Guard waved him on. "Go on ahead Mr. Yamcha. It's been a while since we've seen you!"
"I'm here to visit Miss Briefs," Yamcha smiled. Wearing a white shirt and black pants, he carried a bouquet of fresh pink flowers in one hand. Under his left arm he tucked a box of her favorite chocolates along with engineering magazines tied with a pink bow.
"Well it's none of my business sir, but it seems you've been keeping yourself scarce lately," the guard whispered.
"Oh, I was just out on a VERY long trip. is she here?"
"I'll call to let her know."
"Oh no, don't do that. I'll just let myself in. I know the way," Yamcha laughed. "After all I live here almost."
"Go right in. Your code's still active," said the Guard. Yamcha flashed his winning baseball smile while he rushed down the driveway.
While he rushed to the front door, he thought about the way he'd returned just a few days ago. Quickly he brushed off the blonde hairs next to the lipstick stain on his collar. They bore evidence to the girl who'd found him sitting in her tree after he'd been wished back from the dead. Then he'd hitched a ride in the girl's air car and thanked her for taking him back so he could get some clothes and come here. The guard had admitted the youth as a matter of course. Around Capsule, Yamcha was considered almost as one of the family, because he lived there most of the time. Naturally he'd return after he'd been at Master Roshi's.
"The Namekians must have gone home," he thought, surprised not to see the tables and chairs set out with bottles of water that Krillin had described. One of the first things he'd done after thanking Bulma for her kindness was to call his old Z mates. They'd been thrilled to catch up with him coming back to life, and rapidly filled him in on happenings. However when he asked how Bulma was, all he got was awkward chuckles from his buddy. Today, though he was supposed to meet Krillin and Oolong at a small get together Bulma had announced.
"She's having a few friends over. she says there's something she wants to tell us," Krillin had said. Yamcha reached the front door, transferring the flowers to one hand. He held up the piece of paper he'd scribbled Krillin's message on. "Let's see, he said that he and Oolong would be there by three. won't Bulma be surprised to see me," he grinned. It had been his idea to show up unannounced and insisted Krillin not tell Bulma he was coming. Reluctantly Krillin agreed to this.
"Bulma, sweetheart?" Yamcha asked as he knocked at the front door. Would Bulma be angry or sad? He wasn't sure but he was stealing himself for the worst. Under his arm he carried her favorite chocolates, and a new set of engineering magazines. When nobody answered, he typed in his access code. The door clicked open and he strode into the vast house.
"Hello? Bulma? Dr. Briefs? Bunny?" he called. "Anybody?"
"Yamcha!" squeaked a voice as Puar leapt on him and almost knocked him over.
"Puar! Where were you hiding?" he asked, hugging his faithful sidekick.
"It's been ages we were SO worried! You're alive!" the shape shifting cat squeaked as Yamcha scratched her behind the ears. "You look all dressed up!"
"Have you seen Bulma? Is she all right?"
"I think so… but she's been up in her room an awfully long time… and the Nameks."
"Nameks? They went back right?"
"Yes that's right," Puar squeaked.
"Where's Bulma and the gang?"
"Up on the balcony… Oolong's already here… but we had no idea YOU were back. Where were you and why didn't you call?" Puar lamented.
"I wanted to catch her by surprise. are they on Bulma's balcony? The one with that way cool gas grill?"
"She is Yamcha, but there's someone else you should know who's here before you…"
"Bulma?" Yamcha called as he rushed past Puar and tore through the house. He raced upstairs, glancing around. There was no sign of her in her room, so he rushed to the one right next to hers, where he had been staying. He kicked the door open with his foot and walked inside. Piles of workout clothes and baseball togs were littering the floor. A baseball and mitt sat on the bedside table, while various magazines borrowed from Master Roshi were stacked on top of his TV/VCR.
"Might as well get a vase to put these in and wow her," he said, digging through the piles. Finding one he dusted it off and went to fill it with water.
Emerging from his room with the flowers, he rushed over to the next door down. He straightened his hair as he knocked on the door. From behind it he heard voices and laughter. "Yamcha, you really should know that…"
"Later Puar, I'm busy!" Yamcha waved her away. "Hello? Anybody there?"
"Bulma? Yamcha's here!" Puar called.
The door swung open, revealing a very shocked Bulma standing in the doorway. "Yamcha? When did YOU get back? what a… surprise," she stammered.
"Bulma Yamcha's here!" Puar squeaked. "He's worried sick!"
"Babe!" he cried, hugging her and kissing her on the lips. "I was wondering where you were!"
"Yamcha… wait… what…" Bulma stammered, pushing him away.
"Just come by to see my girl," he laughed, shoving the flowers into her hands. "Did you miss me?”
"Yes, but you have to know something," Bulma spluttered as he kissed her again. "Why didn't you CALL? I didn't expect you. this is just so sudden."
She glared at Puar, who squeaked, "I tried to tell him but…"
"I'm so GLAD to see you, I could eat you alive!" Yamcha laughed, grabbing her up and swinging her around her room.
"Yamcha put me down this instant! You're going to make me SICK!" Bulma protested.
"Oh sorry, got carried way. I'm just so glad to see you, baby," Yamcha laughed. He set her down and wrapped his arms around her to kiss her.
"Yamcha stop," Bulma snapped, squirming in his arms. "Enough already. we have to talk about something VERY important that happened when you were gone."
"Later sweetheart. Where's that mother of yours? I'm famished! How was Namek?"
"It was dangerous. And I almost got killed and why didn't you fucking call for three months and now you have the nerve to show up…" Bulma yelled at him.
"Aww Bulma give me a break," he said as he walked quickly with her following behind him. "I got tied up and landed in some girl's front yard… I mean I…"
"WHAT?"
"I mean I had to hitch a ride, and I came back here when I stopped by the florists… these are your favorites right?"
"Jerk you know I'm on a diet!" Bulma snapped as he pushed the chocolates into her hand. "I need to TALK To you!"
"Bulma, what's going on?" came Oolong's voice from the balcony. Krillin glanced at Yamcha standing there in Bulma's room.
"Yamcha, did you just show up here bro?" Krillin laughed as he rushed in from the sliding glass door across Bulma's main sitting room. A sofa and television graced one corner to the left of the glass doors leading to the patio. Yamcha and Krillin embraced like two long lost brothers. Slapping one another on the backs they chattered like monkeys.
"Hey there buddy!" Yamcha laughed. "Isn't this GREAT the whole GANG's together,"
"Guys, EXCUSE me!" Bulma interrupted, clapping her hands. "I think I was right in the middle of…"
"Come on Bulma, I only just GOT here and there's SO much to catch up on," Yamcha complained, turning from Krillin.
"Took you long enough to get your butt here," Oolong complained, standing just inside the glass patio doors. "There's a whole cooler stacked with beer. When the hell did you get brought back to life? And why weren't any of us let in on it? Considering what's been shaking lately."
"You old perv, where's Master Roshi?" Yamcha laughed. Bulma snorted with exasperation, and stamped her feet.
"FINE you don't want to talk, you'll find out soon enough what's been going on since you've been gallivanting off," she snorted, turning around and stalking out onto the balcony.
Krillin and Yamcha walked out to the porch, where Bulma was tossing shish kabobs onto the grill. Oolong had the barbecue sauce out already, sipping on a beer just to the left of the grill. Yamcha sat down on Oolong's right, while Krillin took the seat across from the pig. That left a chair open for Bulma right next to the grill.
"How about some of that special sauce? It's hot," Yamcha asked, grabbing the bottle of barbecue sitting on the folding card table in front of him. Krillin tossed him a beer from the cooler at his feet. From the balcony they had a panoramic view of West City for miles.
"Humph, you're not interested in what I have to say, so why should I get you anything?" Bulma sniffed, turning her back to Yamcha. She grabbed several plates and loaded them with food.
"Good Grief are you feeding an army? Why's all this food out? You'd think that Goku was coming over!"
Everyone glared at Yamcha. "Nice move, bozo," Oolong griped.
"Hey, I know that he's been missing but I heard that his Royal Highness was searching for him in space. I heard Vegeta got wished back, but man… looking for Goku?" Yamcha laughed.
"Well he's coming back soon, because he's running out of fuel," Bulma said with a smirk. "And maybe he'll have good news."
"Since when did you care whether his Royal Pain in the ass was coming or going?" Yamcha lifted an eyebrow. He cracked open his Budweiser, chugging half the can.
"Well… let's just say that Vegeta's been making himself at home," commented Krillin. Puar squeaked and Bulma opened her mouth to say something.
"Speaking of," Bulma said.
Just then, a thundering crash shook the house. Everyone gasped, dropping their plates and cans while the windows rattled. "What the HELL was that?" Yamcha exclaimed, picking himself up off the floor. His chair had tipped backwards, spilling him rudely so his feet were in the air.
"Oh man this is just great," Krillin groaned. "As if this day couldn't get any worse…"
"What do you mean?"
"Well I kinda forgot to mention it, but Gohan was sensing something pretty weird… and at first I thought it was his imagination but…"
"Never mind THAT. he's back," Bulma gasped, rushing towards the sliding door.
"Uh uh, wait here. I don't know about you, but I'm not so thrilled I wanna have you get in the way of whatever caused that explosion," Yamcha said, pushing her lightly out of his way. He rushed out through her bedroom.
"Wait a minute you idiot. I know who it is."
"Should we?" Krillin asked, glancing at Oolong.
"Nah let 'em figure it out. This is better than a soap opera," the shape shifting pig laughed. "Pass me some of those barbecue chips…"
"You're impossible. don't you CARE that Yamcha's gonna get the SHOCK of his life when he finds out WHO that is?" Krillin demanded.
"Well it was YOUR fault you didn't let Bulma know Yamcha was dropping in!" Oolong said.
"Oh dear, oh dear," Puar squealed, flitting through the doors after Bulma.