Dragon Ball/Z/GT Fan Fiction ❯ Say the Words ❯ Secret Love ( Chapter 3 )

[ A - All Readers ]


Disclaimer: I don't own Dragonball Z or any of the characters. I just think Trunks is really cute (like father like son).

AN: (AN from previous posting) You guys like this fic huh? Well let me tell you a little secret. So do I. It is by far one of my favorite fic by me. That may just be because it was my first. Who knows? Oh and I want to dedicate this chapter to Ifonly (love the name by the way) who is another favorite reviewer that I've never dedicated a chapter to. I'm getting to be such a slacker. Anyway enjoy!

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Trunks had a busy day. The night before ChiChi had called and invited his family to a picnic. Trunks had been ecstatic at the idea of being able to spend the whole day with his best friend Goten. It had taken the joint effort of both him and his mom all night to convince his dad to come. There hadn't been much doubt in Trunks' mind that they would convince him. Even with all his talk, Vegeta was an old softy. It was a secret only known to Bulma and Trunks.

Trunks was the first one up the next morning. He climbed out of his bed and hurried down stairs to his parents' room. He jumped on the bed right between his sleeping parents. His actions got him curse from his father and a moan from his mother. He bounced on the bed until his mom finally gave up on sleep, then he raced to the kitchen dragging her behind him. He sat at the table while his mother prepared their breakfast. Just as she finished his father came downstairs and gave Trunks the evil eye. Then he sat down and turned his attention to Bulma.

"Woman, I really see no reason for me to go on this little `trip'. You and the boy can go on your own," Vegeta stated.

Bulma sighed as she sat a plate of bacon in the center of the table. "It's too early in the morning to fight with you, Vegeta. You're going because Trunks wants you there and that's final."

Vegeta frowned. "Woman, are you ordering me?"

Bulma sat down across from him and laced her fingers. She leaned forward as she said, "You bet your sweet life I am."

They stared at each other, anger flaring in their eyes.

"Mom? Dad?"

Their focus broken, they both turned to their son.

"You guys don't have to fight." Trunks said quietly. "If Dad doesn't want to go we shouldn't make him." He then sadly lowered his eyes.

Vegeta looked at the sadness on his son's face then sighed heavily. "Fine, I'll go. Let me know when you two are ready." With that Vegeta finished his food then headed outside.

As soon as his father was gone, Trunks looked up with that trademark smirk on his face. His dad could be such a sucker sometimes.

After breakfast they loaded the hovercraft and went to pick everyone up. Once they reached the park area and everything had been unloaded Trunks and Goten went exploring. They sparred a little then they watched their dads spar. After lunch they found a baby lizard. Goten was really into lizards so they played with it for a while. They sparred a little more and then their moms had come to get them. Trunks noticed that his mom looked kind of sad. He asked what was wrong but all she said was "I'm fine, dear". He was going to ask why her eyes were puffy then but Goten had asked him to watch the lizard while he went to get his dad.

When they were all tucked safely into the hovercraft, Trunks realized just how tired he was. He was out cold before they even cleared the park. A short time later, Trunks awoke because he felt something wet. He looked down and saw that Goten was drooling on his hand. He moved his hand slowly so not to wake Goten and began shaking the icky slobber off. As he wiped off his hand, he heard his father talking in a low voice and Goku responding in the same low tone. If it hadn't been for his Saiyan enhanced hearing he wouldn't have been able to hear what they were saying.

“Bulma or Trunks?” he heard Goku say. Trunks quickly reviewed everything he had done in the last 48 hours and he couldn't think of a thing he had done that would make his dad worry. He decided to listen closer. He stayed where he was so they wouldn't know he was awake. As he listened he was shocked to hear his father say the word love. He had never heard him say the word before and it sounded weird.

As Trunks listened he began to feel sorry for his dad. He really seemed worried that he and his mom didn't know he loved them. Trunks could have told him he had nothing to worry about. He knew his dad loved him, he didn't need to hear him say the words. All that mushy stuff was for girls. His mom had probably been on his dad's case, because that's the only time he ever seemed to worry about anything. He'd have to tell her to lighten up on him. As the adults became quiet, Trunks sat back to think about the conversation he would have with his mom.

- - - - - - - - - - - - -

They dropped off Krillin's little family then Videl. When they reached the Son residence, Goku picked up a sleeping Goten. As he was walking out the door of the craft he stopped and gave Vegeta an encouraging pat on the shoulder. Vegeta didn't acknowledge the pat but he didn't shrug it off either.

As they reached Capsule Corp. Bulma turned in her seat and said, "Now Trunks, go brush your teeth and wash your face. I'll be up to tuck you in in about 10 minutes. No arguments."

"I wasn't going to argue," Trunks said as he climbed out the door of the hovercraft.

Bulma and Vegeta looked at each other in surprise. Their son always fought being tucked in, claiming it "was for babies". The comment always made Bulma want to cry and Vegeta proud. Something was definitely up with their son.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - -

When Bulma reached Trunks' room she found that not only had he done as told, but he was already in his P.J.'s and was turning down his covers. To say the least, Bulma was worried.

"Trunks, are you all right?" she asked with concern.

Trunks turned back to look at her. "Sure Mom, what could be wrong?"

He had the same look in his eyes that Vegeta got when he was hiding something. "All right then," she said. "Into bed with you."

After Trunks had climbed in she kneeled beside the bed. Tucking in her baby was without a doubt her favorite part of the day.

"Did you have fun today?" she asked.

"Yeah. Do you think Goten's mom will let him keep the lizard we found?"

"She has let him keep every other lizard he's found and brought home," she said with a small smile. "Goodnight Trunks," she said as she kissed his forehead.

She got up and walked to the door and reached up to turn off the light.

"Mom?"

She stopped and turned around. "Yes, Trunks?"

Trunks sighed as though the weight of the world was on his shoulders. "Go easy on Dad, all right?"

Bulma leaned a shoulder against the door and crossed her arms as she smiled. "Now why would I do a thing like that?"

"He's really worried that we don't know he loves us," Trunks said very seriously.

Bulma became suddenly serious also and uncrossed her arms. "Who told you that?"

"He did. Well- actually I kind of heard him talking and-"

"Who'd you hear him say it to?"

"Goku."

"You actually heard him say he loved us?" Bulma asked amazed at this new knowledge.

"Yeah. But I didn't need to hear him say it. I already knew. I've always thought of Dad's love as a kind of secret love. Something that only you and I know and we can't tell anyone that we know not even Dad. I think it's kind of cool and this way we can avoid all that girlie emotional stuff. So, Mom, don't be so hard on Dad. After all he's just a guy."

Bulma looked down at her smart little boy. He was the perfect mix of his father's good looks and her intelligence. She smiled as she said, "I think you maybe right, sweetheart. Now, goodnight, Trunks."

"Wait does that mean you'll lighten up on him?"

"I'll try," she said as she closed the door.

Content with that, Trunks snuggled down and went to sleep.

Outside the door, Bulma smiled. He loved her! He really truly loved her! Her son had heard it with his own ears. As she walked towards the room she shared with her husband, she thought about things their son had said. He was right. Though she thought of Vegeta's love as more private than secret. Whatever his love was, she knew that Vegeta loved her even if he couldn't come out and say it. It was then that she realized that it was enough that he loved her with actions if not words. With that she practically skipped to her room so she could lay in her princes' arms.

- - - - - - - - - - - - -

Well there's chapter 3. The final chapter will be out soon. Thanks for reading.