Dragon Ball/Z/GT Fan Fiction ❯ Say the Words ❯ Confidante ( Chapter 2 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

Disclaimer: I don't own Dragonball Z or any of the characters but I do wish I knew someone as great as Vegeta.

* * *

After finishing up a sparring match with Kakarot, Vegeta had gone in search of his mate. He had secretly been hoping to spend some time alone with her before it was time to return to Capsule Corp. He found her sitting with Kakarot's mate. He'd been about to separate Bulma from the woman's bad influence when he had realized they were talking about him.

`I just want to know that he loves me,' was the first thing he'd heard Bulma say. The sadness in her voice had stopped him dead in his tracks.

The woman did not know that he loved her. He had always thought that they had an unspoken agreement on the issue. Hell, he had willingly given up his life to protect her and their child. How much more love could one man show? `I want to hear him say the word'. Why did she need words? He'd never said those words to Trunks either and yet the boy seemed to understand that… wait. What if he was wrong? He had thought Bulma understood and he'd been wrong. What if his son also doubted his feelings toward him?

Damn, just when he thought he'd made it through this "outing" without problems he had to hear this. He'd known he would end up regretting letting Bulma and Trunks talk him into this but for some reason he couldn't tell them no. That right there should have proved his love. On that thought Vegeta began helping Kakarot load the hovercraft with the groups stuff.

When Goku had seen Vegeta walking toward the hovercraft he had known something was wrong with the prince. When he'd tried to ask Vegeta about it he'd promptly been told to "shut the hell up and keep loading." Goku had been about to press the issue when Goten had come and asked him to come see the baby lizard he and Trunks had found, so he was forced to push their little "chat" back to later.

* * *

After everything and everyone was loaded the group prepared for the long trek home. Everyone was exhausted except for Vegeta so he was elected to drive them home. He didn't mind driving, it gave him time to think. He set the coordinates for Master Roshi's island to drop off Krillin's family and set back for the long drive home.

Everyone else had quickly fallen asleep. Gohan and Videl sat in the back. Videl had her head on Gohan's shoulder. The couple had recently gotten engaged and couldn't seem to be apart for a minute. Krillin sat in the next row up with 18's head in his lap who lay with Marron in front of her. One of 18's arms was draped protectively around her. Trunks and Goten slumped with their heads together keeping them up in a sitting position. Drool was coming out of Gotens mouth. Across from the sleeping boys sat ChiChi and Goku. ChiChi's head was on his shoulder and her hand splashed across his chest. Her legs were tucked beneath her and Goku's arm was wrapped around her. Bulma sat in the passenger's seat, her body facing the window. Her legs were tucked beneath her and a blanket tucked around her. She was also dead to the world.

Vegeta glanced at his beautiful mate thinking how peaceful she looked. He wished he could find a little of that same peace. He sighed deeply.

"Want to talk about it?"

Vegeta looked in the rearview mirror and saw Kakarot's kind eyes staring back at him. He quickly looked away.

When Vegeta didn't answer Goku decided to try another method, "Which one?"

Vegeta sighed in defeat, "Which one what?"

"Bulma or Trunks?"

"What about them?"

"Which one has you worried?"

"Why does it have to be one of them?" Vegeta said in a bored voice.

"Because they're the only ones whose actions can affect your usually calm façade."

Goku was afraid he would be ignored again when Vegeta finally spoke. When he finally did speak it was so quiet that Goku became worried.

"After eight years I still can't understand this woman."

As Vegeta paused, Goku remained silent because he knew that if Vegeta were interrupted now then he wouldn't continue.

Vegeta's eyes shifted to the rearview mirror. "What is it that you do, Kakarot?"

"What do you mean?"

Vegeta's eyes moved in the direction of ChiChi. "What proves your love to them?"

Goku's eyes widened in surprise. He never in his wildest imagination would have thought he would hear Vegeta speak of love. He never even thought Vegeta thought about love, though he knew he felt it. "I'm not sure I know what you mean."

"Don't play games with me Kakarot. Your woman and spawns, how do they know you … care for them?"

"Well," Goku started hesitantly "I, guess by the way I treat them, the things I do for them and … I tell them so."

Vegeta's eye shifted away from the mirror.

"Do you think they'd know if you didn't tell them?"

"Maybe but humans especially women need the reassurance."

"How do you know this for sure?"

Goku smiled into the mirror, "You forget. I'm a human of this planet so I understand them."

Vegeta smirked, "So says you Kakarot."

Goku's face became serious again, "Why don't you tell them, Vegeta?"

Vegeta glanced over at his mate to make sure she was still sleeping. She was. He looked out his window and ran a hand through his hair. "I don't know," he finally said in frustration. "I just can't say the words."

"Do you love them?"

Without hesitation Vegeta's eyes snapped up to the mirror, "Of course I love them. You know that as well as I do Kakarot."

"Then don't worry about it. I'm sure the words will come to you in their own sweet time," Goku said confidently.

Vegeta nodded and the two fell into silence for the rest of the ride. Neither man knew that their shared confidence wasn't as private as they thought.

* * *

So there's chapter two. What did you think? I'd like to thank you all for your reviews. It really means a lot to me. Please R&R again. The next chapter will be up real soon.