Dragon Ball/Z/GT Fan Fiction ❯ Second Chances for Bardock's Sons ❯ A Clear and Present Danger ( Chapter 1 )

[ Y - Young Adult: Not suitable for readers under 16 ]

Second Chances For Bardock's Son's
A Clear and Present Danger
 
 
 
 
Light years away from Alvegasei where Broly tried to continue the Saiyan race, other events were unfolding that would soon affect the destiny of four travelers bound for a distant corner.
On one such little blue planet orbiting a main sequence G star, life continued as it had for many years. Earth in this universe was much like its twin, but an observer would notice that many of the inhabitants were under the rule of one king. Those that weren't were subject to occasional raids by marauding political factions. Amongst the humans lived animals that spoke and walked upright, some of them even citizens of the many countries on this world.
Reports of the Red Ribbon Army were circulating around North and West Cities, two huge population centers. Central City dominated the main continent, the home to the world's King. Not to be confused with the crazed Emperor Pilaf who had been defeated years before. Since a great power had threatened this world, things had settled down into a mundane drone. Powerful forces had risen to protect their world from the menace, and peace had been bought at a terrible price.
They were known as Earth's Special forces, and by many other names. One of them now was retreating to his hideout to train; having left behind the woman he loved as she got on with her life in something called college. While he occasionally visited her during the four years, he had drifted away into a life of training in the minor leagues in baseball and whatever prize fighting he could get.
Within the vast desert stood a tall tower inscribed with Chinese and Japanese characters. Its heart was hollowed out to provide a perfect vantage point from which its occupant could survey the surrounding country. Winds whipped up dust, scattering it around the spires of rock. High atop the ledge a figure peered out the rough hewn rock window with a hand over his eyes. He raised binoculars to his face, brushing long black locks from his face.
"Looks about the same as yesterday," he mumbled.
"Master, mail call!" squeaked the voice of his sidekick from far below in the main chamber.
The Desert Wolf set down his binoculars and turned from the ledge. He sighed, realizing that old habits died hard. When he had last left this place he had been assured that his greatest challenge had been overcome. A beautiful princess had landed into his life and he was terrified. Now five years later he was back and peering around his hideout with fond memories.
Yamcha hadn't stolen anything from a passing traveler in that same period of time. He tried to remind himself that he was only using his hideout as the perfect place to train free of interruptions. Life had been far too good for him lately, and he sought the refuge of the wilderness and the wolf spirits that gave him his strength.
A fresh scar marred one eye, while an x shaped scar graced the opposite cheek. He caught sight of his now imperfect features in the silver mirror framed in gold on the second level. Climbing down the ladder to the levels below, he sought the source of his companion's interruption. A blue furred cat bounced in on her hind legs, trailing envelopes behind her as she reached the main sitting area.
Despite the outside, the inside was lavishly furnished with a set of chair and table. A queen-sized bed dominated the highest level with mahogany bed set and closets filled with fine suits from many countries. On the next few levels down he had hidden other treasures bought with the ill gotten gains. However he hadn't stolen since then, but saw no need to return the items he'd purchased. Who knew when he might need to sell them for a few thousand zenni for a gift or other purpose?
"Anything interesting Puar?" he asked, leaning down to pick up the stack of letters his shape-shifting companion carried.
"Bills Master. I don't know why you left this place as your forwarding address!"
"Convenience my furry feline friend," Yamcha chuckled, scratching her behind the ears. She rolled over and purred. He crossed over to sit down in one of the fine brocade covered sofas and flip on the wide screen television sitting there in his living room area.
"How long are we going to remain here for training?" asked Puar. "You know that you're due back in West City anytime now for tryouts. The season isn't that far off."
"I know Puar," said Yamcha, leafing through various letters while he flipped to something bearable, namely the 24 hour video rock channel. He had to thank his girlfriend for insisting on the best amenities in his desert hideout. It was his true home away from home.
Yamcha chuckled, glancing at the set of pictures he sent away for. A frown marred his face when he pulled out snapshots of himself in the arms of a blue haired beauty. Bulma Briefs was her name, and she was the most beautiful woman in the world. At least in his world. There was a time years ago he would have done anything but now, he wasn't so sure.
 
"I dropped this important looking envelope in the corridor Master. It looks like an invitation!" Puar said, handing something to him. Gold wax sealed the velum cream colored paper.
"Huh, What's this?" Yamcha mumbled. "The address says West Province 439… who do we know who lives there…"
"Didn't Son Gohan live there at one time?" asked Puar.
"But who would… I don't think Goku knows how to write…at least THIS Well. I know Bulma and I taught him, but this handwriting's too pretty," he mused. Yamcha ripped open the white envelope that Puar handed him, gasping in surprise. Puar levitated up and squeaked, "Master what does it say?"
"I'll be! Goku's getting MARRIED!" Yamcha laughed, brandishing the ivory card with the Chinese style writing engraved inside.
Puar squeaked, "Oh my, who's the lucky woman?"
"Chichi! The daughter of the Ox King, who else?" Yamcha chuckled. "Son of a bitch I figured he'd finally tie the knot. Nice of him to tell me when it's only in six months!"
"Are you going to go?" asked Puar.
"Are you kidding, I wouldn't miss this for the world," Yamcha smiled, sitting down in his recliner. He propped up his feet, picking up the remote control to flip on the TV.
Puar levitated up to sit on his left shoulder. She asked, "Shouldn't you call Bulma and see what she's been up to lately? She's been ever so cross you haven't called her in a month!"
"Bulma's busy at college. She hardly has time for me anyhow," Yamcha sighed, mumbling something about college guys stealing her. "All those handsome men there why does she need me?"
Puar sought to comfort her master. She rubbed her cheek against his, purring, "Don't sell yourself short Master! You know that she still cares about you! Just because she's going to graduate soon doesn't mean she doesn't still want to get back together! You've just accepted that application to try out for the major leagues!"
"True, but should I try being a ball player? I rather like living on the edge. I'd hate to go soft," Yamcha said as he glanced around his desert hideout. Although he had an apartment at Capsule corps, for the past few months he'd been hiding out here to train. Away from the bustle of West City.
"Maybe it's time to go home," said Puar. "You know how much you love living at Capsule. Bulma's going to be home from college for spring break!"
"Oh yes," Yamcha smiled. "And maybe that's the time I can give her the present I bought her…"
"You could have given it to her at the spring fling," said Puar.
"Are you kidding? I saw her there with Pete Grignot! You know that guy who's the heir to the biggest wine manufacturer this side of the ocean!" mumbled Yamcha. "Her parents are trying to get her to marry someone who's of the 'right class'. I'm no fool, Puar. She doesn't need her desert bandit anymore when mommy and daddy decide who she dates, and she LETS them!"
"You'll always be her first, Yamcha," Puar said quietly, settling into her master's lap. He scratched her behind the ears, sighing.
"Damn, I wish I could show them all I'm someone of substance! I'm just as rich as THEY are, and when I become the best damn ball player they'll all be sorry," Yamcha grunted.
"That's the spirit! You could always surprise her at graduation, and you can always tell her you'll be at Goku's wedding!"
"Great idea. I'll meet Bulma with a BIG surprise at her graduation, and then we can be in the wedding party. Goku's asked Krillen to be the best man, but Chichi's picked Bulma as the maid of honor. I bet Capsules' footing the bill."
"Actually Chichi's father's paying for it, according to the newspaper article here," said Puar, pointing to the scrap that fell out.
"Ah, so Capsule Doesn't own the world," Yamcha grinned.
"You know very well that the red Ribbon army is STILL not completely off the map Master. You of all should know that after having crossed swords with them only last month," Puar sighed.
"True. If they had any idea of the crap I've seen… damn it, I probably SHOULD win Bulma back, because I've a bad feeling if I don't, I'll never have another chance," said Yamcha.
"Why did you two break up?"
"College dance Puar."
"I know how much you miss her. Even though with the money you'll make as a ballplayer you could have any woman you wanted," said Puar.
"True, but I want Bulma," said Yamcha softly, fingering a silver locket he pulled out from his shirt. Opening it he saw his picture inside opposite Bulma's. Softly he kissed the back, remembering when Bulma had given him the lockets. Did she still wear the matching one he gave her?
He flipped channels, seeing the local news. The ads for the 23rd Budokai flashed through, and he sighed again. Then a newsflash caught his eye. "A late breaking story from ZTV news! Today in North City a detachment of terrorists held up a local bank today. Several hostages have been taken. The King has issued a proclamation that his troops will handle the mater so everyone is to stay calm. So far the Red Ribbon army has claimed responsibility."
"Damn, it's started," Yamcha gasped. "I've got to do something."
"There's nothing you can do Yamcha. Without help," said Puar.
"Yeah. I gotta tell the other guys. We'd better stop by and visit Master Roshi at Kame house. This is not good," said Yamcha.
"What about the wedding invitation?"
"There won't be a wedding if the Red Ribbon army's back in business. The first thing they'll go after is Goku!"
"Oh dear, I forgot!" Puar squeaked. Yamcha quickly leapt up, and started hunting for his gear. In a manner of minutes he had changed into a set of red karate gi that he saved for such an occasion. As he buckled a pair of china flats Puar bounced over with a long scimitar in its sheath.
"Thanks Puar, but I don't thin I'll be needing that," he said.
"Your lucky sword has ALWAYS been a Kami send in the past. You NEVER go on an expedition without it Master," Puar said.
"You know Puar, I've known you for years. The master thing is so not like you anymore. Just call me Yamcha okay?" he groaned.
"As you wish," Puar nodded.
"C'mon let's go find the old pervert," said Yamcha, grabbing his items and binding them to his transport. Before long he rocketed off across the desert towards the sea, and Kame House, his next stop.
"You really COULD fly there, Master, I mean Yamcha," said Puar.
"Why waste energy. I'm gonna need it if a fight breaks out," Yamcha said grimly.
----------------------------------------------------------------- ---------------
While Yamcha had received his wedding invitation, at the home of the Ox King the actual preparations were in full swing. Even though the wedding of his daughter and son in law to be was months away, the Ox King had called Chichi's friends for assistance. Bulma Briefs and her mother had been working nonstop since Bulma had come home from college. In only a few weeks Bulma would graduate, but she was more thrilled about participating in her best friend Son-kun's special day in mid summer.
In the Ox King's home the entire living room was littered with piles of catalogues. Dressed in a tube top, jeans and a white jacket the heir apparent to Capsule Corps paced with Goku's fiancée Chichi, picking the best floral arraignments. They had already decided on a dress the week before, and now all that remained was the reception.
"I'm paying for this wedding, so don't worry, Miss Bulma!" the Ox King said as he saw Bulma Briefs flitting about.
"Well your daughter insisted I be part of it, so why can't I have a say in it?" asked Bulma. "You'd be lost without my mom planning this shindig!"
"She's right Dad," Chichi said, biting her nails. "Oh Bulma, my hair, what if the stylist…"
"Pierre does the BEST work, don't worry," Bulma said, rustling about as she dumped a dozen catalogues on the table.
"Well you ladies do what you do best. I'm gonna go pay a visit to my old master to see if he's coming or not," the Ox King said.
"I don't want that pervert there!" Bulma snorted.
"He IS like family," Chichi reminded Bulma. The young bride to be was anxious because her wedding was approaching far faster then she ever imagined. To think that she would finally marry the man of her dreams her destined soul mate.
"I'm still amazed you got Son-kun to go through with it," Bulma commented.
"These flowers look so pretty. Birds of paradise… do you think that they're in season?" asked Chichi.
"Don't change the subject, Hon," Bulma clicked her tongue. "How did you get Sun-kun to agree? We both know he's not the sharpest tool in the shed even if he IS the sweetest, nicest man on the planet! Last time you complained to me that he thought wedding was a food!"
"Thanks for you helping set him straight," said Chichi with a blush. "But my daddy ran into him recently. I'm amazed I didn't tell you, but it's sort of embarrassing…"
"Romantic embarrassing or spring break embarrassing?" Bulma asked, flipping pages till she came across the order form.
"A bit of both," Chichi sighed. "Well, I ran into him at that tournament last year, you remember?"
"Yes you were pissed beyond belief he didn't recognize you. And then six months later you were all excited because you and he were sparring together for Master Roshi, for some refresher courses! What happened? You said that Master Roshi said a few things. I'm kinda scared to ask what!"
"Well, let's just say that Goku wondered why I never told him wedding wasn't a food. Then Master Roshi set him straight. And he agreed a promise was a promise. But he wanted to do things the 'right way'. I was so angry. But then my daddy came and found me and explained Son-kun wanted to date me first and go steady because Yamcha and Krillen told him that's how it was done."
"Yamcha? Sheesh," sighed Bulma.
"By the way, aren't you two still…?”
"I wish. My father and mother made it clear they don't want me marrying anyone who isn't 'worth my time'. They think Yamcha's a nice boy, but they made it clear that if I ever dated him again, they'd make sure he'd be arrested," Bulma whispered.
"You never said THAT," Chichi groaned.
"Well, I DID get a call from him when I was at college. I saw him at the spring fling, but that stupid Pete Grignot had his hand on my ass, and Yamcha ran out before I could explain!" Bulma lamented. "He probably hates me!"
"He'd never hate you! You two are destined to be together, just like Goku and me! Right?" Chichi said. "Or am I just being too hopeful?"
"I wish I could believe that. I wish he'd just come and whisk me away like Prince Charming," she said.
"You and that 'prince charming' thing, honestly! Bulma, you know that the only princes around here are the sons of the King of the World, and they're all hardly anywhere near as handsome as Yamcha!" Chichi stuck her tongue out.
"True," Bulma shuddered. "My parents want me to marry some wealthy heir to some fortune, who won't take advantage of me for my money. After all I'm the CEO to be of Capsule… and I'm getting my freedom in before I gotta take the reigns."
"When's that?" asked Chichi, eyes wide.
"My dad will make me the Vice President when I graduate," she said with a chuckle. "I'm excited, and I know I can do it, but I'd really like someone to share it with. I guess I'm just expecting TOO much. A Capsule Corps Princess does want a Prince, but not someone who I can't stand!"
"We're all too addicted to fairy tales," Chichi giggled. "I'm a Princess too, but Goku's hardly prince charming. But he's a hunk!"
"You're lucky. He's one of my best friends you know. If you two weren't destined for each other, and I wasn't hopelessly in love with Yamcha…"
"You and Son-kun? I think you'd kill each other the first week!" Chichi giggled.
"You've been really good for him, Chi," said Bulma with a smile, holding her friend's hand. "Ever since he started taking you out, he's actually had manners that haven't gotten him thrown out of a restaurant."
"Amazing, huh?" Chichi grinned. "Sometimes I wonder what his parents were like."
"Well, Son-kun doesn't know. He says his grandpa found him in the forest. So for all we know… they could be anyone!"
"Well he didn't just drop out of the sky Bulma. He had to come from somewhere," said Chichi with a chuckle.
"Knowing Goku, anything is possible," Bulma giggled back. "Now, let's see if we can get some orchids to go with those birds of paradise."
Watching his daughter and her best friend, the Ox King grinned. His daughter's dream was only months from coming true. She would finally marry the man she loved since they first met all those years ago. He exited the large house that had been built years after the fire had claimed their castle on Mt. Frypan. Crossing the vast meadow he noticed a distant cloud whirling past, and a very familiar ki.
"Hey there!" came Goku's voice soon afterwards.
"Goku, I didn't expect to see you today? Come to see Chichi your bride to be?" he asked.
"Well actually," Goku said, bringing his cloud to levitate nearby. He leapt off, landing easily on his booted feet. As always he wore the orange and blue karate gi given to him by Master Roshi. It was neatly patched in some places by Chichi. Since they'd been officially dating for a year, she often made clothing for her fiancée.
He still lived alone on Mt. Pauzo, miles away. Often he'd stop by for dinner and a sparring match. When he wasn't frequenting their home he was training in the mountains or hunting for food with his friends. Krillen and he were always trading stories on the days Goku wasn't at his grandpa's home. Something twisted Goku's features into a worried frown though.
"What's wrong my boy?"
"Something bad's going on," said Goku, lowering his voice. "Yamcha's been staying with Master Roshi, and Krillen and he have been training. They called me to come join them, and had some terrible news."
"What?"
"Red Ribbon army's back to their old tricks," Goku frowned. "And if anything they're gonna be after me."
"Damn," Ox King mumbled. "So how much has been going on?"
"I've seen them in their bases and forts. An' I've been tracking them. Seems like so far they're hiding away. But I bet anything they're coming up with something NASTY. And there's something WORSE."
"What could be worse?" asked Ox King.
"I stopped by Baba's Palace too. She had sent word that she needed to see me. Seems that King Piccolo's been sighted around her place, and in the desert. He's said to be training hard. But I couldn't sense his energy cause he's learned to hide it," said Goku.
"Terrific," Ox King grumbled.
"Kami thinks that the Red Ribbon Army might join forces to take over the world. He's used his powers and has been seein' these dreams lately about terrible things falling from the sky, and huge monsters. An' there were robots that the Red Ribbon army made back when we last fought them. So he figured I'd better tell you what's going on."
"This won't stop the marriage I hope," mumbled Ox King. "She's waited a long time for this. It will break her heart to stop now."
"That's what I need to talk to you about. I still wanna marry her but..."
"Maybe we should have the wedding as soon as possible then. In case something awful happens. I can't stand thinking of my only daughter not being married when the worst happens. She needs a strong man to take care of her when I'm gone," Ox King reminded him.
"Mm hmm," Goku nodded. "If you think that's a good idea, then we probably should have the wedding soon. But I bet Bulma's gonna flip cause she's been working so hard to get things just right!"
"What was that? Are you out there, Goku?" called Chichi, rushing out to see him standing there with her father. Both had serious looks on their faces.
"Hi Chichi!" he smiled as she rushed over and caught him up in a hug. He clasped her close, giving her a tight squeeze that she loved so much.
"What's going on? Are you two up to something?" Chichi asked suspiciously.
"Well, it's nothing," Ox King said.
"Don't try and play games, Dad. I can smell that you're keeping something from me. What's going on Goku?"
"Um how would you like to um have the wedding sooner then later?" Goku asked quietly.
"Ohh are you teasing me?" Chichi gasped.
"Nope. Your daddy and I figure why wait! Anything can happen," Goku shrugged, as he gave her his best smile.
"What's going on, Goku. I know you're playing games. Am I gonna have to tickle you to death?" Chichi said, digging her fingers into his ribs. He yelped and fell over under her assault.
"Hey, stop it! I can't STAND that!" he yelped, rolling over with her brushing her hands over his ribs and sides.
"C'mon, give will ya! I know the spots that make you squirm, so tell me!" Chichi said sweetly, panting as her hair fell around her face.
"Maybe you should tell her Goku. I'm going to go indoors and leave you two alone," said Ox King as he slipped away.
"No, come on, that's not FAIR!" Goku laughed, panting from her fingers sliding up and down his sides. She pinned him flat, straddling him as she slid her fingers under his gi. He glanced up at her dark hair falling in a mess from her bun, her dark eyes twinkling.
"Are you gonna tell me?" she teased.
"You win, you win chi!" he panted, hugging his sides. "I can't… whoa. Breathe!"
"Good boy," Chichi grinned, leaning down to remove her hands. Goku stared up at her, as she suddenly felt shy, freezing in place.
"Chi, are you okay? You're looking at me awfully funny," Goku said as he noticed the faint blush across her cheeks.
"You've been training a whole lot since we last saw each other," she trailed off. "I guess I forgot how big and strong you are."
"Well I HAVE been putting in extra time at Master Roshi's," he blushed. "You sure you're okay?"
"You're not the only one staring," she panted as he suddenly blushed profusely.
"Your shirt's unbuttoned," he murmured, afraid to reach up and touch where several inches of skin were showing a nice view of her cleavage.
"I don't mind," she said.
"Jeez, I thought you were gonna flip out. Whenever Bulma has things unbuttoned and master Roshi points it out, she flips!"
"I'm not Bulma, silly!" Chichi huffed. She grabbed his hand and placed it on her buttons. "And if you wanna button my shirt you can do it. Unless if you want it unbuttoned."
"You um look different Chichi," he said. "And you smell really nice."
"My new perfume. You like it?" she asked. Goku's dark eyes looked up at her as he sat up partly, trailing his hand down over the curve of her breast. She gasped her eyes fluttering closed.
"Oops I'm sorry, I'm so damn clumsy," Goku cursed.
"No, I don't mind you touching me there. In fact, I liked it. It tickles," she said, grasping his large hand and putting it back on her breast. Goku blushed, and then saw her slight smile. Whatever he was doing she liked, so why couldn't he touch her?
"Is that okay?" he whispered.
"I liked it a lot," she smiled, pressing her forehead to his.
"I want to do something but if I do it here," he gasped.
"I know. Why don't we go over into the bushes there and you can show me," Chichi said. "I promise I won't laugh."
"You sure you want to see?" he said meekly.
"I want to see. I want to know everything about you because you're the man I love," Chichi said, nipping his ear. Goku felt her twist off his lap, and then grab his hand to pull him up. His obvious erection tented the front of the very baggy workout pants, and he found it hard to walk without her supporting him.
----------------------------------------------
A long time later, Bulma heard Chichi screaming. She raced quickly outside to see what was wrong. Heart pounding she raced out to see Goku's gi laying strewn about the lawn. A loud cry from Goku sounded as well, full of something that made her tingle.
"Wait a minute," she gasped. "How in the hell could it be? He doesn't know about that!"
She tiptoed to the source of the noise, and peered through the bushes. Her jaw dropped when she saw her best friend laying in the arms of the Ox Princess, moving in a manner that she would never believe possible. How did Goku know about sex?
"I did SO not see that!" Bulma yelped as she rushed away as quickly as she could.
"What was that?" Goku asked, glancing up. "I thought I heard Bulma."
"It was your imagination," Chichi laughed, pulling him back down. Goku shrugged, and returned to claim Chichi's lips in a kiss. He loved how this felt, one of the happiest sensations like a good fight. Chichi was also happy, and it was something that felt good to both.
"Kami, they need to get a ROOM!" she lamented, trying to chase the mental image of a naked Goku in the arms of Chichi out of her head. Yet it caused her to tingle with hunger between her thighs.
So intent was she that she crashed into something hard. "Yow!"
"Bulma, there you are!" laughed a familiar voice.
"Yamcha? What the HFIL are you doing here!" she stammered, turning in his arms to glance up into his smiling face.
"That's a nice greeting for someone who hasn't seen you for a long time!" Yamcha pouted.
"You mean you're not mad at me?" she asked, moving back.
"I can't be mad at you, babe," Yamcha said with a slow smile. "Damn you look so pretty, just like a princess."
"You know just what to say, you flatterer," she groaned. "Oh terrific."
"Why are you panting, you okay?" he asked.
"It's just I never thought I'd see you again… I wanted you to know it wasn't my idea that we keep apart."
"I know babe, I know," Yamcha silenced her with a finger on her lips. He captured her in his arms, pulling her close to his body. Under his gi she felt hard muscle.
"What happened to your face," she gasped, fingering the scars over his eye and cheek.
"I ran into a little problem a few months ago," he cringed. "Sorry it looks gross."
"It makes you look rugged, actually," Bulma licked her lips. "I missed you so much you stupid jerk! Why didn't you WRITE ME?"
"Because somebody sent my letters back," Yamcha pouted; handing her a whole stack tied in a red ribbon.
"Oh Kami, I can't believe it! IT so wasn't my idea!"
"It's okay Bulma, I'm here now," Yamcha said as she hugged him tightly.
"Yami, I did miss you," she said, stroking his cheek.
"Same here. Nice to be missed. Where's Goku?"
"Uh I'd rather not answer that. Can we um take a walk?"
"Sure babe, there's so much I have to tell you," Yamcha said, taking his arm and wrapping hers around it. "But first things first."
"What?" Bulma asked, nestling her bosom in her blue tube top beneath her jacket.
"Something I've missed doing for a long time," Yamcha breathed, leaning down to cup her cheek. She gasped as he covered her lips in a soft kiss that made her weak in the knees. While in the past they had done so, the touch of his lips on hers was like an electric shock. He fingered her blue hair, soft as silk, but now cropped around her cheeks like a boy's cut. It suited her, but he preferred it long and flowing like the braid she had first worn it in so long ago.
"Shimatta," she mumbled, rubbing her lips where he kissed.
"You're so beautiful," he whispered, stroking her soft blue hair. A loud cry alerted them, and Bulma flushed bright red.
"Was that Goku?"
"Yamcha, I um... don't think we should go over there… I saw MORE than enough for one day."
"What's going on?"
"Um you know how Goku always seemed so clueless, well I think that he's learned a few things since we last saw him," Bulma yelped, tugging Yamcha away.
"Oh yeah, I see now," Yamcha chuckled, hearing something like two people giggling. His eyes traced the discarded clothes in the nearby bushes. Lightly he grabbed Bulma's hand and followed her towards the Ox King's house.
-----------------------------------
Hours later, the special forces gathered in Master Roshi's home, on a small island they all knew well. Rather than stay in the wilderness it seemed simpler to use Kame House as a central meeting point. Everyone knew how to get there, and it was a potent reminder to many of those who had trained there that they meant business. Master Roshi and the Ox King had talked for hours seemingly over beer and occasional interruptions from Goku and Krillen. Then Yamcha and Bulma had arrived in mid evening, completing the group.
"Goku told you, didn't he?" asked Yamcha as he sat down in the living room of Kame house. He had taken Bulma with him, following the Ox King.
She sat down next to Yamcha, holding his hand tightly as she saw Goku and Chichi nearby, their faces fraught with worry. Master Roshi was trying to keep his eyes off both girls to the chagrin of Yamcha, who glared at the martial arts master.
"What are we up against?" asked Bulma.
"The Red Ribbon Army," said Master Roshi. "Very powerful and very dangerous."
"I thought I'd wiped them out, but I was wrong," Goku said.
"Wait a minute, how's this possible?" asked Bulma.
"You've been out of it for a while Babe. I've seen them pass through my desert when I was training. With lots of strange equipment. But I didn't wanna worry you at college," said Yamcha. "Some jerk named Colonel White and I got in a fight and he gave me these scars as a souvenir!"
"Oh man," Krillen groaned, hugging his knees. "I thought they were history. What happened, Goku?"
"That's what we'd ALL like to know," said Master Roshi. "Somehow they've survived, and it's up to us to keep an eye on things."
"And that's not all that's bad," said Goku.
"I'm not sure I'm liking ANY of this. What could be worse?" Bulma breathed. Yamcha squeezed her hand tightly, swallowing hard.
"That's just it Babe. There have also been sightings of King Piccolo but he's keeping himself in the desert. I didn't want to think it was possible."
"Piccolo! Oh no!" Bulma gasped.
"He's able to hide his true power, even from me," Master Roshi said, turning to face them all. He lifted his eyes from the level of Bulma's chest, and then stared at the Ox King.
"I've heard rumors," the Ox King nodded grimly.
"You said Baba told you this?" said Krillen. "Are you sure?"
"You heard it yourself," Master Roshi glared at him. "She's rarely wrong."
"What did she see?"
"Terrible things. A big battle with King Piccolo and the Red Ribbon army, side by side fighting with terrible things. Strange new inventions and warriors we haven't even seen," Master Roshi said.
"Piccolo's bad enough. Now how could they?"
"Androids," said Bulma grimly. "They might have built some sort of robot like they did before. Remember number 8?"
"Yes," Goku nodded.
"Oh man, you mean more tin cans?" Krillen yelped.
"There might be more than one. All this was going to happen very soon, according to Baba," Master Roshi frowned. "And that means we've got to be ready for anything."
"What about the wedding?" Bulma asked.
"That's another thing Bulma. We need your help to get Chichi and Goku married as soon as possible," said Yamcha.
"Oh but it's not going to be easy," Bulma swallowed hard.
"You know people in town. I figured your parents could help get someone to perform the ceremony," said Ox King. "Don't worry about the expense."
"But all the plans we made!" Bulma wailed. "My mom's gonna flip!"
"You could get married at Capsule, right?" Yamcha asked.
"Yes, but so much to do," Bulma sighed. "I've gotta call my mom."
"Have we told Tenshinhan and Chaotzu?" asked Krillen. "Maybe they can help!"
"They're not far away," Master Roshi nodded. "They'll stay in the mountains and see if there's anything suspicious there. And Krillen and I will keep an eye on the coast."
"I'll keep an eye in the desert," said Yamcha. "When I'm not protecting you, Bulma."
"That's very sweet of you, but there IS a security system at Capsule," said Bulma with a sigh.
"He's right. You should keep close to Yamcha," said Goku. "I don't want you hurt."
"How close?" teased Oolong, who had been sitting in on the conversation but was too afraid to chime in.
"Shut up you pervert!" Bulma yelled, bopping him on the head.
"Um," Yamcha blushed.
"I guess you could stay at Capsule. We still have your old room," Bulma said.
"Okay," he nodded. "But who's going to watch the desert?"
"My dad can build spy bots, silly," Bulma squeezed his hand. "And there's Puar and Oolong."
"Don't forget Yo-yo brain," said Krillen.
"Yaijerobe? No way. He's just going to run the other way!" Yamcha groaned.
"How soon is the wedding to be?" Bulma asked.
"How about this Sunday?" asked Goku.
"We've got lots of work to do. You'd better come and stay with us at Capsule Chichi, Son-kun. I'm not chasing you down for a tuxedo fitting," Bulma glared at them.
"Okay, no problem," Goku nodded. Chichi agreed, laying her head on Goku's shoulder. His arm draped around her comfortably, prompting Bulma to snuggle closer to Yamcha. To her delight the desert bandit gave her shoulders a squeeze with his arm sliding around them.
"We'll get you married, no problem Goku," said Yamcha.
"Well, I was thinking maybe it would be better if You were the best man," Krillen said.
"What?" Yamcha asked.
"It works out well, since Bulma's the maid of honor if you don't mind Goku," said Chichi.
"Are you sure Krillen?" asked Goku.
"Hey, shucks I don't mind. Besides, you guys look better up there," he chuckled. Bulma nodded, and saw Yamcha's blush. Something jingled around her neck, and Yamcha saw the gold locket hanging between her breasts with a joyful skipping of his heart.
"Still, we'll take all the help we can get," said Master Roshi. "So are we agreed?"
Everyone nodded. A silent agreement was forged, and the warriors all parted to make their various arrangements. Yamcha followed Bulma outside to where her hovercraft was parked. She didn't let go of his hand, and felt happy that he was there again.
"Just follow us on Nimbus, and we'll get you there in no time," Bulma said to Goku and Chichi. "Do you want to ride with us?"
"I'll be there soon, don't worry," Ox King nodded. "I just have to get a few things together. Go ahead kids."
"Okay," nodded Goku, helping Chichi to climb onto Nimbus. The two youths knelt side by side, waiting for Yamcha and Bulma to prepare the hovercraft. Krillen tugged his backpack, throwing it into the cargo hold as he leapt in to the rear seat behind Yamcha and Bulma.
"We'll call later!" he shouted to Master Roshi, waiting there with Ox King. Soon the hovercraft shot towards West City, followed by the golden shimmer of Nimbus.
--------------------------------------------------------------
As events unfolded on Earth something far more sinister even then the Red Ribbon Army and King Piccolo was taking form. Hurtling towards the small system from the depths of space was an even greater threat that none had anticipated. It took the form of four warriors suspended in the depths of crysosleep.
A beeping noise caused the occupants to blink awake, followed by a hiss of suspension gas. In two of the pods the computer grated in Saiyanese to rouse whoever was there to listen. Slowly the third class scout blinked, peering into the clearing mists. Just in his right ear, he heard a harsh voice grating.
"You awake, Whelp?"
"Yes, I hear you. Are we in proximity?" asked the longhaired occupant.
"Not too long now before we meet up with the Androni. Turles said they'd be on the major gas planet Xenix orbiting that red giant star," echoed a female voice.
"Are you quite certain that this information will be worth losing four viable worlds?" asked the longhaired Saiyan, frowning into his display.
"We'll be landing to regroup, and stretch our legs. Then we'll see what's what," Napa said. "In about two hours."
"What's going on," said another voice fuzzily.
"Precious one, are you all right?" he asked.
"I feel dizzy. I guess it's the suspension gas."
"You get used to it, girl," said the other female voice, Napa's mate. "Relax, we'll be landing soon, and you can get some training in."
"XENIX's moon is class D, with enough atmosphere but low gravity," commented the new female voice. "Raditz, how far till we land?"
"We're ten light years distant. We've come a good portion of the way across the spiral arm of Sagittarius," Raditz answered. "And I know you hate enclosed spaces. But it won't be long."
"Thank Kami," she mumbled.
Sighing Raditz prepared himself for the inevitable crashing of entry. He curled his hands around the large handles of the pod's framework. The gravity well of the large gaseous giant exerted its pull, and Raditz saw the red dreary radiation of what the locals called Barnard's star coming into view. At least that was what Tomic would call it.
"I hope you are all right, precious one," he mumbled, glancing at a pod gleaming only a parsec from his. Together they arced over the rings of the giant, hurtling towards their predetermined course on a large icy body blowing into view. Reddish rays gleamed on the pale luminescent surface, twinkling with lights here and there.
Raditz peered at the computer file, realizing that it was an Androni research base. A schematic of the solar system blinked onto his computer screen. Apparently the marker positioned the gas giant as fourth our, and the planet of interest was a small greenish blue world that was further in. Energy readings amounted to at least one billion life forms. From the blinking light he read the name "Coadama." Another press of the keys showed various life forms, of which the dominant was a felinoid creature not unlike an Idsarjin.
"Should prove interesting," Raditz said.
"Take a good look. That planet there has a reptile dysfunction," joked Cabernet. "That's my task."
"You just like the fact that they have some technology to blow up," Napa laughed harshly. "It's up to you to exterminate a few lizards while I get to eat some calamari on Oceanus."
"That world which is predominantly 90 percent ocean?" asked Raditz. "You always WERE all wet. What's my task?"
"The next system over in Alpha Centauri has a habitable world. You'll see the file there," said Cabernet. He tracked down the report to see that they were bipedal lizard creatures, calling their world Aztec.
"Hmm, pre industrial technology, no spaceflight. Have knowledge of astronomy and rudimentary space flight. Their specialties are gathering ki for mental blasts, and knowledge of manipulating geological faults with their science. Interesting, but I should find it fun. Do they want it cleared?" asked Raditz.
"No, they want the inhabitants' wealth of Aurites," said Napa.
"So it's a plunder and strip job. What about the natives?" asked Raditz.
"They want them as a labor force. I say it's a waste of time," Napa said.
"One billion lizards could be a good slave base," said Tomic.
"Getting ready to land," said Cabernet, interrupting the four-way dialogue. "I've got clearance from First Minister Petra of the Androni Council."
"Hope she's better looking then that dried out husk Brecchus. He's absolutely disgusting looking," Napa grunted.
"We aren't here to screw them, we're here to perform hostile takeovers," Raditz grumbled.
"I know," Tomic answered quietly.
Four pods streaked down with long white tails trailing behind them. They curved over the vast fields of ice, approaching a large complex of domes and pyramidal structures. The humanoid beings glanced up from the silver circuited servants bustling about.
A red headed humanoid wrapped her veil skirt around her, and turned to the tall humanoid male with silvery gray hair and long blue robes. "Do try and be less impetuous, Petra. You're only new to this after all. You must comport yourself with dignity."
"Minister Brecchus, must we use these apes to do this job? The Machinates are more than equal to the task!"
"We don't want to lose our bargaining chip. Let the Saiyans do the work they're so good at. They've sent four of their best operatives. It wont' be long before we have the laboratory space we so desperately need."
"Very well, sir," she nodded. "Maagnyl, Marchyl, accompany me. You'll be security detail. You'll show the Saiyan guests to their quarters."
"They're landing now," said a small droid unit.
"I'm counting on you ladies. Petra Vargas. Mind your superior Fiona," said Brecchus.
"I'm sure there won't be a problem," said Fiona Darleen, a middle aged Androni with gold gleaming eyes and blue and white streaked hair.
"Understood. As soon as I meet with them, I'll hand authority of the project over to Fiona. You'll be our Councils' representation," said Brecchus.
"Shall we?" Fiona asked her counterpart. She was chief research scientist on the Barnard system, ready and eager to clear Aztec and claim its jungles as well as its inhabitants for the genetics research she craved.
Within minutes, the four pods landed in the large bowl shaped spaceport. Steam hissed off the round metallic surfaced of each craft. Not too far away the two Androni watched with their Cybernami security guards. Metallic silver glistened over dark AE spandex, as the large massive figures impassively watched over their artificial android bosses. Graced with high battle mental powers, the Androni were brains encased in perfect artificial bodies that knew no pain or fatigue of flesh. That was for the Cybernam, the third class to ponder. The Machinates were the droids that scurried about, building the research base that would soon welcome its cargoes of raw materials.
Out of the two closest pods crawled armored figures. The tallest was balding, his mustache curving over his sneering lips. Next to him a tall statuesque female with broad shoulders exited her pod, having bent over double to get in. A long black braid hung behind the spiky Mohawk sticking up like a rooster's comb on her otherwise bald head. White armor gleamed in the pink sunlight filtering through the thin atmosphere.
Two other figures exited their pods. A longhaired figure with massive shoulders and gleaming gold and black armor straightened up, then moved over to the other pod. He tapped on it, till it opened its semicircular hatch. Reaching in, he grasped the hand of the fourth Saiyan, a female who was barely half Napa's height.
Petra and the others turned their attention to the two younger Saiyans. A smile crossed Petra's face when she saw that the female wore armor almost identical in design to her mate's. Although she was much shorter, she was well muscled and stocky, but not overly fat as some Saiyans she'd seen. Large breasts curved with large hips under the massive black and brown armored breastplate. On her left upper arm and left upper thigh gleamed a copper hued ring, identical in position to that of Raditz's. Her own spiky hair fluffed out in a spiky cloud around the top of her head, while long spikes hung down straight in back, terminating at the middle of her shoulders. Brown eyes darted back and forth, taking in all the surroundings with trepidation.
"Are you all right, love?" whispered her mate, squeezing her hand.
"I will be. The air is so thin," she panted.
"Come let's meet our employers. We'll be staying her a few days till we recuperate and train a bit," Raditz rumbled, his dark eyes gleaming with pride.
"Lieutenant Commander Nappa, and Lieutenant Cabernet at your service," he said, dropping into a crouch with one hand over his breast, the other outstretched.
"Indeed, it's good to see you again," Brecchus nodded, folding his arms across the metallic blue brocade of his clothes. His skin was a pale orange, while Petra's was golden. Silver eyes beheld Napa, his metallic silver hair ghostlike while his perfectly proportioned body would put most Saiyan males to shame.
"You've been good customers in the past. Do you have the information?" asked Napa.
"Who are your two younger partners?" asked Petra.
"This is Sergeant Raditz, and his mate Private Tomic," said Cabernet.
"A pleasure to meet you, milady," said Raditz, kissing the hand that Petra extended. Tomic nodded with a somber frown, bumping her forehead under Fiona, then Petra's outstretched hands.
"You've grown since I last saw you. You're Bardock and Rutabaga's son, aren't you?" Brecchus said.
"Indeed," he nodded. "This is my new mate, Tomic."
"She's quite lovely, for a Saiyan. My congratulations my dear," said Brecchus. "I'm sorry your father Professor Bardock could not join us, Sergeant."
"He had business elsewhere with Commander Turles' fleet," said Raditz quietly. "But he's sent all the relevant information. Show them the file, love."
Tomic reached into her high boot's compartment and withdrew the small psycho chrome disc. She handed it to Brecchus. "Professor Bardock has given me the details and observations from his angle. I'm the scientific advisor on this team representing him."
"Very good. So you're a scientist yourself," Brecchus said, taking the disk. He kissed Tomic's hand.
"This is my first assignment," she said. Raditz nodded, putting his hand at the small of her back. She kept close to him, warily eyeing the Cybernam with their liquid brown eyes.
"You'll be quite interested to find that one of the worlds we desire in trade happens to be a place where you sent one of your other associates, Sergeant," said Petra brightly.
"Kakkarot I believe was his name," said Brecchus, handing the electronic slate to Tomic. "Here are the latest readings, Private. And here are the less technical versions..."
He handed another slate to Raditz while Tomic perused the scientific data. Petra nodded and saw the frown covering her face. Raditz rubbed her back, saying, "My thanks. Is he alive? My mate can look over the details later."
"We don't dare explore to find out. That planet is teaming with six billion life traces. Their technology is such that they have rudimentary space flight. But their weakness is that there are several warring factions that prevent unification, unlike Aztec, Oceanus, or Coadama," said Fiona Darleen.
"You would be well suited for Oceanus, Lieutenant Commander Nappa. The object of interest is located there, if you have the wherewithal to claim it, and deliver the planet free of clutter," said Brecchus.
"I want Oceanus cleared. Do what you want with the inhabitants," Brecchus said to Napa. "Considering they are a palpable threat. They have the power to bend ki."
"All the more reason to eliminate them," Napa nodded.
"And your lovely mate will see to Coadama, as we discussed?" asked Brecchus.
"Yes," she nodded. "This would do well for planting a new tree for our Commander."
"Then you should leave a few of the life forms alive. Clear the weak ones and leave enough for critical mass," said Napa.
"We are aware of your Commander's energy needs. That particular world is rich in mineral stocks so it will be a mining colony one you're done," said Brecchus. "If you take my suggestion with consideration to your particular talents."
"You'll also see that one of the Saiyan scouts was seen alive there, in captivity," said Fiona. "He is known to you?"
"He was my nephew. My brother Merlot will be glad to know if he's alive or dead," Cabernet mumbled.
"Unfortunately we don't know if that's the case. But a Saiyan life form was detected. But every unit sent there was decimated by the fierceness of the inhabitants. A radiation belt around the planet makes communication difficult," said Brecchus.
"Raditz comes recommended for this task," Petra said, handing him two slates. "And you said your mate would take the other?"
"She will search for Kakkarot, and study the beings of the third planet of the yellow dwarf. Studying civilizations is her interest and she has experience in such matters," Raditz said.
"Excuse me I have a question," Tomic said. She pointed to a small line of text on the slate she had committed to memory.
"Yes," asked Petra.
"Do you wish the planets cleared of all life forms? I have the desire to study them first," said Tomic.
"Just like your father in law, a scientist to the last?" asked Fiona, smiling down at Tomic. She raised the girl to her feet.
"Yes," she nodded. "I don't like exterminating without a good reason."
"You value raw material for research. I like your attitude. We should have more like her, Brecchus," Fiona said.
"If you find the inhabitants of your assigned world are capable of being trained you could derive additional profit by delivering at least one million units for processing," said Brecchus. "Was that what you had in mind, Private?"
"I saw the humanoid creatures. Surely they are servants?" said Tomic. "If the world I'm assigned to has a large population they would make good slaves."
"You're correct. I think you chose your mate well, Sergeant," Petra licked her lips. "I like this one. She's quite logical."
"Very well, you have the contracts. Do you accept? And in return it is guaranteed that your special request will be fulfilled. Pending the delivery of three of the four worlds," said Brecchus.
"Be sure to send any artifacts, minerals and technology to us for processing. And the strongest beings for a labor force," said Petra. "Like your mate here said."
"We prefer those that look like us," said Fiona.
"I'm sure you're hungry and tired after your long trip. Rest a while and then take what you need for your trips," said Brecchus. "Our servants will show you to a place you can train and eat."
"Marchyl, escort Napa and his mate. Maagnyl, you direct these two. We will meet tomorrow morning," said Petra.
"You won't be disappointed," Napa said as he grinned. He curled his arm around Cabernet, and guided her after their Cybernam guard. Tomic clung to Raditz's hand, her flesh blanching. Petra nodded to her as Fiona moved close.
"You might want to stop by my laboratory and see my research, if your mate allows it later," said Fiona. "We can discuss the finer details of my research on your planets later so you can brief your superiors."
"I'd like that," said Tomic quietly.
"You may do so soon, love. After we spar," Raditz purred, leaning down to nip her ear. Quietly Tomic let him lead her away.
"She's different then I'd expect that one to pick," Petra mumbled.
"You noticed it too? Her mental energy isn't completely Saiyan. I surmise she must be a half blood," said Fiona.
"Or a convert. There are a few of those considering their lack of females. But as long as they do their job," said Petra.
"It will be good to not sully our hands dealing with the splinter group on Oceanus. Napa will obliterate them. And in turn he'll take away an even greater threat."
"You mean to say he really IS there?" Petra whispered.
"He is. A very high life reading though dormant. And whatever of the three planets they don't destroy and deliver to us will be his own playground," said Fiona.
"You must admit that we could turn this situation to our advantage. Since we helped their Prince, mayhap he could prove a valuable ally against those that oppose us? Think, with them working for us we could add many more planes to Mantissa control," said Petra.
"We must be careful. If their ruler finds out about this little contract our whole empire could be in peril," Fiona hissed for silence. "You know as well as I do that the hulking mindless brute who claims to be Master of all Saiyans is a threat to Andron supremacy."
"That's why it's so beautiful. Their Prince of All Saiyans will need a mate. And if one of us should chose to unite with him."
"Mating with a monkey? They are powerful, but they're disgusting to think of and you're an artificial life form!"
"So, they gestate their young in tanks like we do. All I need is a suitable donor cell, and we can combine our prime Cybernam genes with his. And we'd have all the power we need, plus blood sworn alliance," said Petra.
"True. You are clever when you aren't thinking of low class sexual satisfaction," Fiona snorted, watching the Saiyans entering the training complex.