Dragon Ball/Z/GT Fan Fiction ❯ Stormy Bond ❯ Prolouge ( Chapter 1 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
A.N. I wrote this for a contest many many years ago, but since I recently started reading/writing DBZ fics again I figured I’d post in here.

Warning: there is cursing, violence, gore, and ooc’ness in this piece, but for the sake of the story, I hope it works. There are some lines quoted straight from Shakespeare’s THE TEMPEST. Hopefully those work to. And for the sake of plot, Frieza isn’t stronger then the King Vegeta, at least not by very much.
Some of this may seem strange, or technical, but go with it… don’t let terms or visions of Star Trek bog you down and you should do fine. Now… on with the show.
Disclaimer:
I don’t own DBZ or any of it’s characters.
Stormy BondBy:
Prologue
"The government I cast upon my brother, and to my state grew stranger, being transported and rapt in secret studies… Bring once perfected how to grant suits,…new created the creatures… to the tune what pleased his ear… - Prospero (1.2)
If it's true that history repeats itself, then the quiet still of the night would have been broken by the warning cry, "The Saiyans are coming! The Saiyans are coming!" Instead, the artificially cooled air of the Briefs' master bedroom was silent except for the soft singing of the professor to his daughter. His three year old daughter, Bulma, who had nightmares on a regular basis, could only be consoled back to sleep by being held in her fathers arms. Her trembling and crying would stop as she listened to his strong baritone voice as it quietly hummed the songs whose words he had long forgotten.
"Is she asleep yet, dear?" his wife asked from the bed where she was lying under a thin sheet, her body illuminated by the moonlight poring through the windows.
"Yes," Dr. Briefs paused in his song long enough to reply and then started again.
"Then why don’t you take her to her room and then come to bed?"' she asked, but she already knew the answer.
The doctor did not reply, only continued to fill the space with hushed melancholy lullabies and wear circles in the rug at the base of the bed. The quiet peace of Bulma's breath and the moonlight and the breeze ruffling the curtains made the rest of the world seem farther away. The weight of his own flesh and blood nestled in his arms, against his chest made the demanding workload of his days fade to meaningless static. The smell of her freshly washed hair, as it tumbled in a delicate blue cascade over his cheek and neck turned the existence of the Council of the Federation and the threat of an alliance with the Saiyans into the stuff of dreams that your forget once you wake.
A shift in the air caused his daughter to rouse slightly and shift in his arms, sighing deeply, her breath shuddering before calming back into the cool silence of deep sleep.
"Shhhhhhh," he whispered, his lips poised on the crest of her pink cheek. "I'm here, Bulma-chan. Your father is here. He will keep you safe and stop all the evils of the world from hurting you."
"You know that isn't true."
Briefs and his wife both gasped as they turned towards the sound of the strange voice. A dark silhouette was outlined behind the fluttering curtains. Slowly the figure stepped past the pale lavender drapes and into the faintly moonlit room.
"You know as well as I, that if you keep her here she will have to face the darkness of humanity and all it's flaws. You also now that, in these times, very few escape unscathed."
"Who are you?" Briefs whispered harshly, causing Bulma to stir in her sleep again.
"The bringer of bad news, I'm afraid." The solidity of the voice joined the solidity of the body as the intruder wandered further into the light. Hard, shinning armor, erratic rigid hair, dark, like the eyes, and one swishing furry appendage that swayed in the space behind him. "I'm here warn you. Warn you to leave Chikyuu tonight and never return. To tell you to pack up only your most prized possessions and flee without looking back
"What do you want Saiyan? You know that nothing you say will convince me to turn away from my people and my world. Don't waste your breath or my time. I won't leave. The people need me…"
"You won't leave? Not even if I told you that your people don't need you any more? You won't go? Not even if I were to say that your assistant, Dr. Gero, has usurped so much of your power that the people only listen to his voice now? That their listening to his voice right at this moment as he is convincing your council to join forces with the Saiyans and telling them that you have become incompetent as a scientist and a politician. You won't leave even though I've come to warn you that your partner and my king have joined forces to destroy you… and your family."
"I'm listening…" the professor said through gritted teeth. "What is your message, warrior?"
Something about the urgency in the man's voice, a man of a usually stoic race, made his gut wrench as well as his curiosity peak.
"As I have all ready stated, Gero and My Liege have made an alliance. Gero promised to give over the power of Commander-in-chief to my king, allowing Saiyan soldiers into Chikyuu space under Saiyan command, as well as a tidy tribute every year in return for Saiyan assistance in over throwing your influence in the council. The short of it is, we get Earth if we take you out. Their plan is to arrest you from your beds later tonight and have you executed without trial, you and your family, as well as anyone loyal to you. I suggested to the king that you be spared your lives, but he has promised nothing, so I came alone, to warn you." The Saiyan stood with his shoulders squared and his chest raised. "If you leave now, taking only the necessities and fleeing with your family, you should be able to escape from Gero's betrayal. I believe that if you are gone, Gero will forget about you, as long as you are no longer a threat to his power."
"You're suggesting we run?" Dr. Briefs said with a bit of irony. "Would you run, Saiyan?"
"No, but then again, I'm not as weak as you, and my loved ones are old enough to fend for themselves. Besides, I'm hardly an innocent."
"And my people here?"
"Without you, they are no threat."
Briefs stood silent once more, weighting the out comes of all apparent options. "We leave." he said and handed his daughter to his stuttering wife.
"But, dear…"
"Now. Gather some things and get Bulma to the emergency escape pods, I'll be right behind you," the professor had the kind of tone that his wife knew not to question.
"Alright, but hurry," she said before rushing out of the room.
Dr. Briefs moved to the desk he kept in the corner of their room and began downloading all the files he thought he'd need into the EEP's main computer system. The Saiyan stood silently behind him and waited while the doctor worked. That done he put a security lock out on all of the computer files he knew that Gero would be drooling for access to once he was out of the way. In little or no time he had lessened Gero's victory from to complete to technical.
Finished with that he turned and almost ran into the tall alien warrior. "I thank you for your assistance, but I think I can manage it from here."
"I'll wait till you've departed."
"Ok," the doc sounded unsure and as he looking into the obsidian eyes of the informer he saw only truth and honor and remembered the debt that he owed this stranger. As he was walking past the tall alien a question passed through his mind and he paused to ask, "Why are you doing this? Why help a few weak humans?"
"I am a man of honor. My people believe in facing our enemies in broad daylight, in fighting without shame and facing defeat or victory with the same passion. But what this man Gero has convinced my king to do regarding your family is cowardly and a disgrace to all Saiyan kind. That is why I have come to warn you, so that I can save my liege from murdering children in their sleep and undermining all that I thought Saiyans stood for. We may be cold-hearted warriors, but we are not with out honor and morals, and I am not without mercy."
Dr. Briefs considered this and marveled at his ability to remain prideful and arrogant in the face of his own seemingly humble acts.
"Can I ask your name?"
"Bardock."
"Well, Bardock, I never thought I'd see the day that a Saiyan would stand against murdering innocent people…" Briefs said as he scooped up some of his possessions and headed for the door, the Saiyan trailing behind him. "It about time."
Just before entering the escape pod, the doctor turned around and put his hand on the door frame. "Thank you," he said simply as the door slide shut and closed off his view of the man that had saved the lives of him and his family. "Good bye," the professor added as the computer announced it's launch and sent the small pod shooting faster then the speed of light through the cold expanse of space towards the unknown.