Dragon Ball/Z/GT Fan Fiction ❯ The One Who Comforts ❯ Resentment ( Chapter 2 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

There is some Gohan angst in this segment. He's pre-pubescent and moody, and I can't think of any kid that wouldn't be struggling with coping over the death of a parent. I hope that makes sense.
 
Disclaimer: I don't own DBZ or any of its characters.
 
Chapter 2-Resentment
 
Chi-Chi could sense the bright sunlight on the top of her eyelids, but she was by no means ready to wake up and face the day ahead of her. She could feel a deep muscle cramp near the base of her spine, no doubt from sleeping awkwardly due to her changing body, and the rest of her limbs felt fatigued and sore. It had been twelve years since she had last found herself carrying an infant, and in those twelve years, her body had changed, growing used to doing the domestic tasks around the household instead of being strengthened by the martial arts instruction she had received as a child. However, the day would not wait for her to let her body recover from the added stress of being pregnant. Covering her eyes with her hand to block out some of the sun's rays, she rolled over onto her side and then slowly and carefully sat up.
 
Placing her right hand on her stomach, she slowly stretched out her aching back and took in a deep breath, trying to dispel any nausea that also had been accompanying her since she first found out she was going to have another child. Yawning slightly, she stood up quietly and stiffly walked over to the vanity across from the end of the bed she had shared with Goku. Glancing at her features in the mirror, she frowned slightly at the prominent circles underneath her eyes, which only accented the few wrinkles she was starting to develop. She looked ghastly, and she only felt all the more depressed since she was once again beginning to sport a bump on her lower abdomen. Even if she decided to try to find another man to take the place of Goku in her life, which she had no intention of doing, in her current state, they most likely would have looked the other way. Not to mention the fact that a single woman in her early thirties with two children wasn't something most men in her age bracket were looking for to begin with. It was a sobering realization.
 
Frowning at her reflection, Chi-Chi tried to banish her ridiculous thoughts. She didn't want someone to replace Goku, end of story. Grabbing her hairbrush, she ran it through her long, dark hair, pulling apart the snarls that had formed while she slept. Brushing it until it shone, she braided it and then decided to head downstairs and start cooking Gohan his breakfast before it got any later in the morning. He had schoolwork to finish and studying to do.
 
In a few moments, she was in the kitchen, taking out a large skillet and a dozen eggs she had collected from the chickens she kept in the back. Breaking open the shells, she cracked the eggs into a bowl and added milk and salt, whipping the mixture up and then pouring it into her skillet. Stirring the eggs back and forth with a spatula, she tried to ignore the continuing ache in her back as she made the first part of Gohan's breakfast.
 
In a few minutes, the scrambled eggs were finished. Putting them off to the side, she grabbed a loaf of bread she had made the other day and sliced it up, putting most of the slices into the toaster. As the bread toasted, she opened up the refrigerator and took out milk and orange juice, pouring Gohan a large glass of each before pouring herself a small glass of juice to wash down the single piece of toast she would eat.
Making meals was a reprieve to Chi-Chi because it took her mind off of things she was trying not to think about, namely Goku and the impending arrival of their second child. It also helped that as soon as the last piece of toast would pop out of the toaster, Gohan would be downstairs sitting at the kitchen table, ready to eat the food his mother provided that helped fuel his monstrous Saiyan metabolism.
 
Like clockwork, the last piece of toast shot out of the toaster and into Chi-Chi's waiting hand. Putting it onto a plate, she turned around to see Gohan pulling out his chair at the table, seating himself as he waited for her to put the food on the table.
 
“Morning Mom,” he grumbled as he helped himself to a sip of the orange juice in front of him.
 
“Good morning Gohan.”
 
Getting past the formalities, Chi-Chi put the food out in front of her son and watched as he served himself, tucking himself in as he ate with gusto. Grabbing her own solitary piece of dry toast and glass of orange juice, she sat down across from him and nibbled on her breakfast, thinking of the things she needed to accomplish that day.
 
There was more laundry to do, she needed to weed the garden and start harvesting some of the tomatoes she had planted which were ripe and ready to be picked, the chicken coop needed to be cleaned out, and then there was the usual house cleaning and cooking that would need to get done. Thinking of all the chores that needed to be done only added to the fatigue and soreness she already felt. She knew that she should have Gohan help her with some of the work, but she felt his neglected school work was much more important then doing a few odd jobs around the house. He had enough on his young mind as it was without her adding anything more to his own burdens. She knew that he was having difficulty adjusting to life without his father, inwardly blaming himself for his death and the last thing she wanted was to add to it by having him take over in Goku's emptied role. Observing Gohan as he ate a piece of toast, resentment that had been simmering just beneath the surface started to bubble up.
 
It was one thing to leave her, as he had done countless times in the past, but to leave his son angered Chi-Chi more then she thought was possible. Certainly, his decision to stay in the afterlife was supposed to be altruistic, a way to make sure that humanity would no longer suffer from the oppression and degradation of beings who wanted to push their weight around in the universe. But not for the first time, Chi-Chi wondered if Goku had thought out what he planned on doing before he made his final decision. Certainly Dr. Gero had had a vendetta against her husband and so had Freiza, but if what she had been told about Gohan's battle against Cell was true, her husband had lost his title of being the strongest on the planet. Apparently, that title now firmly belonged to Gohan. So what would stop others from coming to their planet in order to try their strength against her boy? And why did he suddenly have to be thrown into the role as the Earth's protector now that his father was gone? She knew that Gohan was a peaceful boy at heart, and the thought of killing or fighting against someone unnecessarily was abhorrent to him. Yet Goku had been willing to throw his own son once again to the wolves, and Chi-Chi couldn't help but feel disgust and revulsion towards her husband for willingly sacrificing their son just as he had sacrificed himself.
 
“Mom?”
 
At the sound of her son's voice, Chi-Chi found herself snapping back to reality. Blushing slightly, she looked down and realized that she had crushed her piece of toast into dust. Forcing away her angry thoughts, she pushed her chair back and threw her demolished piece of toast into the garbage can. Walking over to the sink, she started filling it with water so that she could do the dishes. Without looking at Gohan as a way to save face in regards to her odd behavior, she grabbed the skillet she had cooked the eggs in and started to scrub it viciously.
 
“What are your plans for the day?” Chi-Chi finally asked as she cleared her throat, trying to focus Gohan's attention away from her lapse in behavior.
 
“I'm going to finish that report on the history and settlement of West City. Then I have algebra to work on and I'm going to get started on my science project for the unit I've been studying on plate tectonics and the Earth's crust. Then, if it's okay with you, I was going to go and visit Piccolo.”
 
Nodding her head in acceptance of his agenda for the day, she finished scrubbing the skillet and laid it on the countertop to dry. Turning back around to grab the rest of the dishes off of the table, she was surprised to find that Gohan already had them piled into a stack, lifting the pile easily and carefully putting them into the soapy water.
 
“Mom, why don't I finish the dishes? You don't look so good and both Piccolo and I are worried that you're overdoing it with Dad being gone.”
 
Looking at her son, Chi-Chi firmly shook her head no.
 
“Uh-uh. I'm perfectly capable of washing a few dishes. Just because I'm pregnant doesn't mean I'm an invalid. Besides, you have school to worry about, not dishes. And what business is it of Piccolo's how I choose to spend my time now that your father is gone? If he's so concerned, then he should show his green hide around here and pick up the slack.”
 
She knew that she sounded petty and short tempered, but honestly, if Piccolo had time enough to find out what was going on in her house, he could make himself useful instead of having her son tell her to take it easy. Turning back to the dishes, she thrust her hands into the soapy, hot water and wiped the remains of Gohan's meal off with a dishrag, giving the clear sign that any and all discussion was over with. Unfortunately, Gohan was just as stubborn as she was and he wasn't going to let her push the issue away.
 
“Mom, I know you can do the dishes. That isn't the point. You're doing twice as much as you used to since Dad left, and you won't let me help at all! Do you know how useless that makes me feel? I'm supposed to be the man of the household now and you're treating me like I'm still a toddler! I'm supposed to make up for being the one who killed him in the first place.”
 
 
Stilling her hands in the water, Chi-Chi found herself looking out the window towards the mountains beyond their home. She did not want to fight with Gohan and it hurt her that he thought she didn't think he was capable of taking care of things around their house and that he felt personally responsible for the death of his father.
 
“Gohan, I know…I know you're capable. But you're still a boy and you have many years left before you should feel the burden of taking care of a family. I want you to enjoy what's left of your childhood, and I want you to stop thinking you're to blame for your father's death. He made a choice Gohan. He chose to take Cell to Kaio-sama's planet to save the Earth from being blown to smithereens. And he chose to stay with Kaio-sama instead of being wished back. Nothing is going to change that fact no matter how much we might wish it could be different.”
 
“But why Mom? Why would he choose to stay away from his family? Especially if he knew that you were going to have another baby?”
 
Pulling her hands out of the water, she wiped them carefully on her apron and thought about how to respond to that question, one she was still trying to grapple with. Turning around, she watched her son as he tried to stop himself from crying. Walking over to where he was standing, she pulled him into a hug, holding his body close to her own. Smoothing down his wayward hair, she tried to come up with an answer that wouldn't be flavored by her own resentment over Goku's behavior and her anger and uncertainty over the situation both she and Gohan found themselves in, nor one that would reveal the fact that Goku had no idea he was going to have another child before he had died.
 
“Your father…he's just doing what he thinks is best for everybody; you, me and the baby included. He's a hero and a savior, and whatever his reasons for not wanting to be wished back, in his own way, he's trying to do what seems right. I'm sure he wouldn't have stayed in the afterlife if he truly didn't think it would make a difference. I know he misses us, just like we miss him.”
 
She could feel her throat constricting during the last part of her reassurance. It felt like a lie, to say such a thing to Gohan when she felt that Goku was probably having the time of his life without having to worry about the responsibilities of being a father. However, she didn't want to discolor Gohan's ideas about the man who had sired him with her bitter thoughts and negativity. It was just difficult for her to let go of her resentment: resentment that he always seemed to be able to run off and do as he pleased while she had to make due with what they had. In part, she knew it was her own fault. It had always been easier to let Goku do as he pleased and it made her feel important to be in charge of raising Gohan and setting their house in order. When they had first been married, she had thought of their marriage as a dream because of those very things. But as she grew older, she often wondered why she had been so set on having Goku as her husband and if there wasn't something else out there besides the life she had become accustomed too. And now it was too late to ever find out.
 
Pulling away from Gohan, she shifted her thinking back to him. Giving him a warm smile, she could tell that her reassurance had made him feel better, but his eyes still had a look of uncertainty to them.
 
“Yeah Mom, you are right that Dad's a hero, but I don't know if he really misses us that much. You weren't on the Lookout when he talked to us through Kaio-sama. Even though he said it would be hard on you and me, he seemed more excited about the thought of keeping his body and fighting powerful opponents in Otherworld then being concerned about how you and I would react to his being gone. But that's Dad, and if you say he misses us, then I believe you.”
 
With that said, Gohan turned around and headed off to his room to concentrate on finishing his schoolwork, leaving Chi-Chi once again alone to mull over what he had just said.
 
No one had told her what had been said that day on the Lookout except that Goku was dead and he did not want to be brought back to life. That in and of itself and been devastating to her. But to tell Gohan that he knew his leaving would be difficult for them and then talk about how he wanted to fight powerful opponents was like a knife to her gut. It was no wonder to her that Gohan was struggling just as she was to come to some sort of understanding over why Goku would leave them. And the more she thought about it, the more she wanted to somehow punch her way into the afterlife and beat some sense into her deceased husband. However, she knew even if that were possible, it would do no good. He would insist on staying were he was and the truth was, she didn't even think he would be able to understand why both she and Gohan were grappling over his departure.
 
Turning back to the dishes in the sink, she finished them quickly and left them out to dry. Walking back upstairs, she poked her head into Gohan's room to check on his progress. Seeing that he was seated at his desk with his books open and his hand furiously taking notes, she turned away and headed back into her own room.
 
Closing the door behind her, she stepped over to the closet and pulled out one of her many traditional mandarin dresses. Taking off her nightgown, she pulled the dress over her head and sighed when she realized that it was becoming a little snug. Soon, she would have to start wearing her maternity clothes from when she had been pregnant with Gohan, but for the time being her regular clothing would be adequate. Digging on the top shelf of the closet, she closed her hand around a kerchief. Folding it in half, she tied it underneath her hair, pulling it out of her face. Once she was finished dressing herself, she decided that now was as good a time as any to get started on the work that needed to be done, even if it put a strain on her already worn out body.
* * *
 
Panting and holding his arm in pain, Piccolo decided to halt his sparring match with Gohan for the afternoon. It wasn't that he couldn't keep going, but he had made a decision that as far as Gohan was concerned, the time he spent with him would be better used on things other then just sparring. Making the motion that told the boy their training was halted, he powered down and landed on the hillside they had decided on using for their daily spar. Folding his long legs underneath him, he seated himself and waited for Gohan to find his way over.
 
Their spar had been going well, but Piccolo could tell from experience that Gohan wasn't himself today, nor had he been himself in a while. Frowning, he wondered if Chi-Chi's melancholy had started to infect the boy. If that were the case, he would have to have a chat with her about it, though he was loathe to voluntarily subject himself to such a task. Just watching her out of a sense of duty towards Gohan was enough to make his stomach clench and his teeth grind in irritation, and talking to her would only end up in a shouting match, not something he wanted Gohan to have to witness. But she needed to take better care of herself and she needed to accept the way things were, even if such a task was difficult for her.
 
Deciding that thinking about her was only going to make him angry, he closed his eyes and concentrated on meditating until Gohan came over to where he was sitting. Within a few seconds, he felt Gohan's presence when the boy dropped down next to him, the movement of the air as it whistled past his ears alerting him to where Gohan was.
 
Opening his eyes a crack, he glanced over to where Gohan was seated and observed him as he pulled his knees up and carefully rested his chin on them. Seeing him like that, Piccolo knew it would be only a matter of time before he decided to speak up and hash out whatever was on his mind that was bothering him.
 
“I told Mom that you think she's overdoing it.”
 
That surprised Piccolo. Snapping his eyes open, he looked directly at Gohan and grunted.
 
“I didn't mean to bring you into it, but she won't listen to me about anything. All I wanted to do was help with the dishes, but she has this idea in her head that she'll be taking away from my childhood or something if she has me help out around the house. I don't understand her sometimes Piccolo!”
 
Well, Piccolo thought, I don't understand her either kid.
 
Clearing his throat, he asked the only question he could think of, not liking the idea that Chi-Chi was probably now going to be the warpath against him for telling his opinions to her precious son.
 
“What did she do when you told her?”
 
Gohan grunted sourly and then grabbed a rock that was next to where he was sitting. Picking it up, he tossed it down the side of the hill and then flopped down on his back, his hands cradling his head as he looked up into the sky.
 
“What else? She yelled at me and said that if you were so worried about her, you could show up and pick up the slack. I know she means well and everything, but she's so…so frustrating sometimes. I don't understand half the things that are happening to me, and she doesn't talk to me about anything unless she thinks it's appropriate for me. I just want to prove to her that I'm old enough and strong enough to handle whatever it is that she thinks I can't. Besides, I don't like seeing her tired all the time and I hate hearing her cry when she doesn't think I'm listening. Sometimes I wish I could see Dad just so I could punch him for leaving Mom like that.”
 
To hear Gohan, who was usually so good-natured it made Piccolo wonder if he was entirely normal, talk about punching Goku was a sobering moment. He had known for the last couple of months since Goku had died that things were not well in the Son family household, especially since he had decided to take Gohan under his wing once more since the boy was fatherless yet again. He knew that humans grieved for their loved ones, so he had expected that spirits would be low. What he hadn't expected was to see Chi-Chi pushing herself to the max to make up for the lack of Goku's presence and to have Gohan turn into an inwardly angry individual.
 
Glancing over at Gohan, Piccolo let out a short sigh.
 
“Kid, punching your father won't change anything.”
 
“I know that Piccolo. But…why did he have to leave us like that? Mom misses him so much and so do I. And to just take off even though he knew Mom was going to have another baby, I can't figure out what he was thinking. I asked Mom about that.”
 
Raising his eyebrow slightly looked at Gohan with a glint of admiration in his eye. The boy had courage to ask such a question of Chi-Chi, if nothing else.
 
“What did she say?”
 
Shrugging his shoulders, Gohan looked off to the side before answering.
 
“She said he was a hero and that he was doing what he thought would be best for everyone, including the baby. But then I told her how Dad had been so excited about fighting dead guys in Otherworld. I kind of feel bad about that, but she always makes him out to be this great guy. I just wanted her to know what I know, to find out that Dad isn't as wonderful as everybody makes him out to be.”
 
To say that Piccolo was surprised at Gohan's statements was a slight understatement. Never, not in the entire time that he had known Gohan, had he heard his student talk in such negative terms about his father. To hear him speak in such a way made Piccolo slightly uneasy. It was becoming abundantly clear that whether his intentions had been good or not, Goku had inadvertently opened up emotional wounds that were festering within both his son and his wife. For the first time since Goku had made his decision to stay deceased, Piccolo wondered if his former rival had clearly thought about how his decision would affect his loved ones.
 
“Piccolo, why do you think he left? And tell me the truth. I'm tired of people hiding things because they are afraid I won't be able to handle it. If I could fight against Vegeta, Frieza, and Cell, then I should be able to take whatever opinions you have to say about my Dad.”
 
Crossing his arms over his chest, Piccolo looked away. In all honesty, he didn't know what to say to Gohan. He didn't like the idea of his student having negative thoughts in regards to his father, but he supposed it would be difficult not to given the situation. Still, he did not want to pour salt into the kid's wounds. Choosing his words carefully, he told Gohan what he thought.
 
“Your father is a Saiyan, and he's powerful. Powerful people, no matter if they are good, always attract others who want to beat them. He decided to stay in the afterlife because he thought it would be safer for the Earth if he did so.”
 
Observing Gohan, he noticed as the boy's eyes narrowed at his statement.
 
“Come on Piccolo. I was there. I know why he said he decided to stay with Kaio-sama. Why can't anybody just give me a straight answer for once? I'm not stupid!”
 
With that said, Gohan stood up abruptly and was about to blast off angrily when Piccolo grabbed his arm and pulled him back down next to where he was sitting, knowing full well that if Gohan decided to take off, there was nothing he could do to stop him from leaving. However, Gohan wasn't the type to storm off unnecessarily and he was genuinely curious to find out what Piccolo was going to say. Plopping himself back down, he folded his legs inward and hunched over, waiting for Piccolo to let go of his arm and finish what he had been trying to say.
 
“Gohan, I don't know your father's reasons. All any of us can do is make conjectures as to why he decided to stay in Otherworld. I know that he genuinely wanted to protect the people of this planet. He's been the protector ever since he first met Bulma and inadvertently stopped Emperor Pilaf from making a wish to become the leader of this planet. And he stopped me from taking over as well, back when we were enemies. But he's always been an adventure seeker and so I'm sure the pull of being able to test his Saiyan strength and abilities out would be a tempting proposition for him. However, I don't think he would make a decision like that without carefully thinking it through and weighing in the pros and the cons. Those are my thoughts, for what it's worth.”
 
“Yeah, but Piccolo, there's just one thing that's wrong with the whole picture. If he decided to stay away because of how powerful he's become, what about me? I'm…I'm stronger then Dad was when he died. How is his being gone going to keep bad people away from Earth? And what about Vegeta? He's a pureblooded Saiyan just like Dad. How come he's still here instead of going off on some adventure? It just doesn't add up.”
 
What could he say to Gohan to reassure him about his father's intentions? Feeling frustrated both with himself and with Goku for leaving his son and wife in such ridiculous emotional turmoil, he wanted to blast something. Deciding that would not be a wise idea, he once again turned and looked at the boy.
 
“You are strong Gohan and whether you like it or not, you have a responsibility along with the rest of the Z-senshi to protect the people of this planet from harm. I don't have the answers Gohan about why your father made the decision that he did. Maybe he decided to stay away because he knew you could handle it. Whatever the reason, the only way you'll ever find out is if you talk to him yourself. So instead of dwelling on the reasons why you think he decided to stay dead, move on with your life and make the difference that I know you can. The same can be said for that shrew of a mother of yours.”
 
He could see that Gohan still wasn't satisfied with his answer, but there wasn't any other way to phrase his thoughts, especially since he was also uncertain about Goku's motives.
 
“Thanks Piccolo for being honest with me. It…it means a lot to me that you take me seriously and don't just think of me as a little kid.”
 
Grunting a reply, Piccolo turned his eyes back in front of him, looking at the expanse of land that fell away from where the two of them were seated.
 
“It's probably time for you to get back. I'm sure the last thing you want is your mother yelling at you because I kept you later then I should have.”
 
Glancing over at Piccolo, Gohan shook his head and then slowly stood, stretching out his muscles that were aching slightly from the workout he had gotten sparring with his mentor and friend.
 
“Alright Piccolo. I'll see you tomorrow. And thanks for listening. Sometimes, I just…”
 
“You don't have to explain. I understand more then you think.”
 
Smiling slightly at Piccolo, Gohan waved good-bye and then took off back towards his house.
 
With Gohan gone, Piccolo shifted his position slightly and then tried to settle back into a deep meditative state, but his conversation with Gohan kept interrupting his thought process. He couldn't get it out of his mind how negative Gohan had become recently, nor could he stop thinking about Chi-Chi and how her behavior was also affecting her son. In truth, he shouldn't have even cared or been concerned, but he had found that over the years, whatever was threatening to Gohan was something he could not let go of. Therefore, he once again found himself standing up and making his way to the edge of the woods closest to the Son household.
 
Taking a seat underneath a tree, it didn't take him long to find Chi-Chi. She was out in the middle of her garden pulling out what he thought were most likely weeds and tossing them into a growing pile. Her hair was pulled out of her face, and there was sweat dripping down her cheeks as she labored to keep her garden suitable for growing the vegetables she and her son would live off during the winter months.
 
Watching her, he could tell immediately that she was exhausted by her body posture and that she was in pain from her frequent attempts to rub and stretch out her back. He didn't understand her foolish stubbornness and he decided that it was finally time for him to intervene and knock some sense into the crazy woman. Gohan came first and he would do anything in his power to make sure that he wasn't worrying unnecessarily about things that he couldn't control, such as his mother's behavior.
 
Standing up, he leisurely made his way over to where she was bent over in the garden. Stopping directly behind her, he waited for her to notice and acknowledge his presence.
 
After a few minutes, he observed as Chi-Chi straightened up and then stood, picking up the basket that was next to where she had been kneeling in the garden pulling up the weeds. Without even looking at him, though he knew that she realized he had been standing there, she started to walk towards the house. Growling deep in his throat over her blatant slight, he took a step towards her and finally spoke up, pushing his pride temporarily to the side.
 
“Chi-Chi, there are some things that you and I need to discuss and running away and hiding isn't going to change anything.”
 
Gazing at her backside, he noticed when she visibly stiffened before she quickly turned around and faced him.
 
There was no mistaking the fact that she was angry and that her anger was directed at him. Folding his arms, he mentally prepared for the verbal onslaught that he knew was about to come.
 
“There is nothing to discuss! Nothing. Stop concerning yourself with Gohan and myself. We are perfectly able of taking care of ourselves without having you hanging around and spying on what goes on in our home.”
 
Snarling at her, it was all he could do not to go over and haul her up by her shirt. She wasn't making any sense that he could make out and he couldn't understand why she was being so stubborn when it came to her health and the well being of her son.
 
“I beg to differ. Do you think Goku would like to see you the way you are right now? Or how your behavior is worrying your son to the point where he's afraid you're going to hurt yourself?”
 
He knew he had touched on the sore spot the moment he said Goku's name because Chi-Chi's demeanor suddenly changed. Her shoulders hunched forward slightly as though she were ashamed, but her eyes looked like they were shooting flames at him.
 
“Do I think Goku would like to see me like this? The honest answer to that question is he wouldn't give a damn. He wouldn't see me at all. If he were here right now, he'd be off training, leaving me to do everything that I'm doing at this very moment. That part hasn't changed at all. But what am I saying? He's not here is he? He's not coming back. Not for me, not for Gohan and not for his unborn child. He doesn't care and you'd be smart just like him to not care either.”
 
With that said, Chi-Chi turned back around trying to not start bawling in front of him but he wasn't going to let her run away. Phasing in front of her, he saw her shocked face as he gently grabbed hold of both of her shoulders.
 
“It doesn't really matter what Goku thinks anyway. What does matter is your son and I am not leaving until things are satisfactorily settled between the three of us. If you won't take responsibility for him, then I will. End of story.”
 
He could tell she was angry but he was beyond the point of carrying. Somebody had to finally knock some sense into her, and if it had to be him, so be it.
 
Piccolo's taking some action to get Chi-Chi back on track. How will Chi-Chi react? Find out in the next chapter. Please let me know what you think.