Dragon Ball/Z/GT Fan Fiction ❯ True Love Never Dies ❯ Graduation ( Chapter 2 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Disclaimer: I own nothing - nothing at all. Yeah, my life sucks. Lol.
A/N: I wanted to give a huge thanks to everyone who reviewed on the last chapter! I love you guys! You are what encourages me to post regularly. Lol. I hope this chapter is up to your expectations.
True Love Never Dies
Chapter 2: Graduation
“But Mom, those shoes aren't comfy,” the voice of Chi-Chi's youngest son complained.
“Neither were the hours of study your brother put into his education so he could graduate today,” Chi-Chi countered as she gave the laces one last tug before releasing her son's feet. “You'll survive.”
Rising to his feet, Goten stared down in dismay. “If I graduate one day, will Gohan have to wear un-comfy shoes, too?” he asked with innocence.
“When you graduate,” Chi-Chi sternly corrected her child. “And yes, then Gohan will wear uncomfortable shoes to your graduation.”
“Okay,” Goten's face brightened with a smile before he darted for the front door.
“Don't even think of getting dirty!” Chi-Chi warned, ever the obsessive mother.
“Well, what do you think?” Chi-Chi's eldest son called from his bedroom door.
Turning around, Chi-Chi was greeted to the sight of Gohan wearing his shimmering, dark blue cap and graduation gown. Gasping with delight, tears sprang to her eyes as her hands covered her heart. “You look wonderful! And so grown up! I am so proud of you!” she managed to say before her tears began cascading down her pale cheeks.
Not knowing exactly what he should do, Gohan hugged his mother. “It's okay, Mom. It's not like I'm moving out, yet. I'm just graduating high school.”
“I know,” Chi-Chi spoke as she released her son and wiped her eyes. “I just wish your father was here,” she sighed. “He said he'd make it. This is such an important occasion.”
“There's still a little time,” Gohan spoke comfortingly. “He may just make it yet.”
Smiling sadly, Chi-Chi nodded. “Your father always has been full of surprises.” During a moment's pause her face changed from its reflective, dreamy expression to one of someone who has been rudely awakened from a dream only to face a harsh reality. “But don't get your hopes up. When Goku disappears to train, nothing else even exists to him. I suppose that's the way he'll always be.” Her age apparent on her features, Chi-Chi sighed heavily.
“I'll always be here for you,” Gohan spoke softly and seriously.
Giving a small smile, Chi-Chi nodded. “I know.”
The sound of the front door and small hurried feet interrupted the moment between mother and son as Goten entered, his eyes dancing happily. “Are you guys ready yet?”
Glancing at a clock on the wall, Chi-Chi nodded. “I have to grab my camera. You two stay clean!” she called, heading for the drawer where the family camera was kept. As she lifted the old camera, Chi-Chi could not help but quickly reminisce about all the happy family moments it had captured images of throughout the years. Pulling herself back to the present, she softly closed the drawer and after one last, quick glance in the mirror, stepped into the living room where her sons were waiting.
Almost a full second passed before Chi-Chi registered the fact that someone else was now in the room, a man. “Father, I thought we were going to pick you up on the way.”
“Well, that was the plan, but I was running early for a change,” Ox-King grinned sheepishly. “I figured I would just pick you up.”
Chi-Chi smiled at her father. “That was very thoughtful,” she spoke to the king before addressing her sons. “You heard him! There's no point in wasting time! Let's get moving!”
Almost instantly, all three males spun for the front door and quickly marched outside to Ox-King's waiting vehicle.
Following at a slightly slower pace, Chi-Chi turned to make sure the door latched when she heard a voice behind her speak. “I'm not too late, am I?”
Her breath catching in her throat, Chi-Chi turned to face the owner of the voice. “Not yet, Goku.” Upon a closer inspection, she frowned. “You are running late though. You're a mess!” Sighing in defeat, she shook her head. “But I supposed you'll have to do. We don't have time for you to bathe and change.”
“Great!” Goku grinned stupidly before turning to the waiting vehicle and happy greetings from his sons.
Following behind her husband, Chi-Chi climbed into the passenger's seat beside her father. “We have to make a stop on the way. I'll give you directions when we get close.”
“Okay,” Ox-King replied happily as he pulled away from the dome home.
Leaning back in her seat, Chi-Chi closed her eyes, happy her husband had returned for the graduation even if he was too late to be perfect. At least this event was getting off to a smooth start.
0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0 o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0
“Is that really the house?” Ox-King asked as he stared at the sprawling mansion before him.
“That's the one,” Gohan confirmed.
“Well, go see if they're ready yet,” Chi-Chi instructed her eldest son. “We need to get the two of you to the field before you're late.”
“Okay,” Gohan gave a nod of understanding as he quickly climbed out of the vehicle's back seat, briskly walking to the home's front door. Lifting his hand, to ring the doorbell, he stilled the motion as the door opened.
“Let's get out of here,” Videl said simply as she pushed past Gohan, softly closing the door behind her.
Confused, Gohan looked from Videl to the door and back again. “What about Hercule?”
“He's not coming,” Videl stated simply.
“What?” Gohan questioned stupidly before reaching out to take Videl's hand to gently spin her around so he could look into her eyes. “This is your high school graduation! How can your dad not come?”
“Pretty easily when he's got publicity stuff to do, apparently,” Videl growled before heaving a heavy sigh. “Maybe it's for the best anyway. You know how Dad is in public. Besides,” Videl lowered her voice as her blue eyes lifted to Gohan's, “today is all we have left since I leave tomorrow. This way at least we get to spend it all together without having Dad around to interfere.”
“Gohan! Hurry up! You're going to be late for your graduation!” Chi-Chi called from their ride, ending the conversation.
“Okay,” Gohan conceded. “I'll go along with everything if that's what you want.”
“Thank you,” Videl whispered before surprising them both by planting a quick kiss on his cheek in front of everyone.
“You're welcome,” Gohan blushed momentarily before turning to follow Videl.
0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0 o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0
“Of all the things I have learned in high school, the most important have been the lessons of friendship,” Videl concluded her speech to thundering applause.
A teacher no one had ever paid attention to in class and certainly were not going to pay attention to now at graduation, spoke a few words about past scholastic hardships and future possibilities, followed by the students walking the stage for their diplomas.
“I am so proud of you!” Chi-Chi gushed as she wrapped her arms suffocating around her eldest son, as a few tears of joy ran down her cheeks. Almost immediately, she released Gohan, suddenly in nag mode. “Now, you need to focus all your attention on your college studies! Graduating second in your college class simply because you have feelings for a girl is unacceptable!”
“I know, Mom,” Gohan obediently responded.
“C'mon, Chi. Give the boy a break. Today is a day to celebrate, not scare him,” Goku interrupted.
“Give him a break?!” Chi-Chi roared, warming up what would most likely be beginning of an hour long criticism of Goku's lack of education and civility.
After spending time with Chi-Chi, Videl knew an opening to escape the older woman's criticisms when it was offered her. She reached out and took Gohan's hand in hers before leading him to slowly back several steps away from the ranting woman.
Just as Gohan and Videl were about to make their escape, Chi-Chi turned her attention back to her son. After all, no good, responsible mother ever loses her child. “And where exactly did you think you were going, young man?!” Chi-Chi demanded.
Gohan winced and found himself mumbling, “Uh….” as he grasped for the right words to turn his mother's attentions back to another member of the family.
The sound of woman yelling, “Hey! You can't eat that! It's for the graduation party!” distracted Chi-Chi long enough to discover Goten, face first in a giant cake.
“Goten!” the boy's mother screamed as she stormed over to her youngest child.
“Now, Chi-Chi,” Ox-King and Goku began in unison, following their princess in an attempt to save Goten from the brunt of his mother's wrath.
The insane Son family was distracted for mere seconds before Gohan turned to Videl. “Let's get out of here while we can,” he cautioned, giving her hand a gentle squeeze.
“You don't have to tell me twice,” was the received reply before the young couple found an area isolated enough to take flight from the graduation site, leaving the crowds far behind as quickly as possible to spend the last of their time together uninterrupted.
0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0 o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0
“The stars are always so much brighter here in the countryside,” Videl sighed contentedly.
“I know,” the boy lying beside her responded. “I'll never understand how people can live in cities.”
Videl gave a chuckle as she continued gazing at the diamonds peppering the soft, black velvet sky. “Well, not everyone can tame dinosaurs and the other crazy animals in the wilderness.
“True,” Gohan concurred. “But are the bank robbers and such any less dangerous animals?”
Turning her head to face her love, Videl gave a sad smile. “No. And that's why I am going to Tokyo and getting a degree: to gather the tools to catch and cage those animals.”
Gohan closed his eyes tightly and gave a tired sigh before turning his head to gaze into Videl's blue eyes. “I know. It's what you have to do, and it's a good thing to do. But that doesn't change whether or not I like it.”
“I know,” Videl spoke softly, her voice barely a whisper above the wind rustling the fresh shoots of grass and wild flowers on which they lay.
“It's not fair!” Gohan cried in a sudden outburst, sitting upright where he could gaze down on the city below the couple at the foot of the mountain on which they lay.
“Gohan!” Videl sat up just as quickly, concern flooding her features. When her father had first ordered the decree stating she would be attending the best schools money could buy in Tokyo, it had been Gohan who had consoled her. She knew now was her turn to return the favor, as she tentatively reached her hand out to rest on his shoulder. “It's going to be okay. School will only last a few years, and then we can plan to be together again,” she spoke, forcing a smile and confidence where she felt none.
With a heavy sigh, Gohan turned to once again face the one true friend he had made on his own. “I just don't want you to go,” he admitted to her, pain filling his normally jubilant eyes. “I am going to miss you.”
Touched down to her very soul, Videl nodded, reaching to hug Gohan. “I will miss you, too,” she confided, pressing her cheek to his sounder to conceal the tears now running down her face.
Gohan held Videl tightly, enjoying the feeling of her warmth against him as the warm breeze caressed his face, until he felt a warm dampness on his shoulder. Realizing Videl was crying, he sat her upright and held her face in his hands, wiping her tears with his thumbs. He lingered momentarily with their noses almost touching as he gazed into her eyes before moving his lips gently to hers.
Though no force on Earth could solve her dilemma, Videl found herself oddly comforted by the feeling of being so close to Gohan, his lips softly pressed against hers. Seeking more comfort, she closed what had been her downcast eyes and pressed her lips firmly against his, hungrily seeking the comfort she so desperately needed from the one person to whom she had ever showed her true self.
Somehow not surprised by Videl's eagerness, Gohan for once let everything in his mind go, and playing purely on his instincts, wrapped an arm around Videl's back as he lowered her to the blanket of wildflowers on which they once again lay.
0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0 o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o00o0o
“I don't know which is more beautiful,” Videl sighed from her seat on the roof of her house,” the night's stars or the rise and fall of the sun.
“Neither do I,” Gohan agreed as he watched the orange sun finally peek above the horizon from his perch beside his love. “But I do know this.” He turned to look directly at her.
“Oh, and what is that?” Videl looked at Gohan with a lifted brow.
“Neither matter when I am with you,” the teenager gave a sad smile.
“I know,” Videl agreed softly, her eyes regaining their sadness from the night before. “We'll have to do this again sometime,” she made a feeble attempt at a joke.
“Definitely,” Gohan nodded before they returned their attention to the sun's rise.
As the sun finally pulled itself completely over the horizon, Videl gave a heavy sigh, eliciting a questioning gaze from Gohan. “I should go now. Dad will be up any moment to take me to the airport, and you know he'll go crazy if he catches you here.”
“I know,” Gohan admitted sadly. “I'm not very good at good-byes.”
“In that case, we won't let it be good-bye,” Videl answered, rising to her feet. “I'll see you soon,” she forced herself to give a weak smile.
Returning the forced smile, Gohan agreed. “I hope so.”
“I know so,” Videl spoke as she stepped forward to embrace her lover.
As he held her tightly against him, his mind a million miles away, in Tokyo, Gohan heard his heart's true feeling pass his lips. “I love you, Satan Videl.”
“I know, Son Gohan,” Videl replied as she stepped back from him. “I know,” she repeated before making her way into her home.
Gohan stood on the roof for what seemed an eternity as the city around him came to life. Upon hearing Hercule awaken, Gohan came back to the present and reluctantly began flying home to face his angry and worried mother, leaving his youth and what was left of his innocence somewhere in the night of Satan City.
A/N: So, what did you think. Personally, I am loving the sweet Gohan/Videl moments, so let me know what you think. I have a lot more Gohan/Videl interactions planned in later chapters and any ideas, suggestions or other comments would be highly appreciated. Anyway, don't forget to review!! Peace and Out!