Dragon Ball/Z/GT Fan Fiction ❯ What Exactly Is Involved In A Saiyan Mating Ritual? ❯ Trials and Trails ( Chapter 10 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]

Ok I can only say one thing so here it goes! Sorry, sorry, sorry, sorry, sorry, SORRY! I didn't mean for this chapter to take so long, but writers block is the all-powerful dictator, and sometimes, just will not be ignored!

Disclaimer: If Edison was right, and genius is one percent inspiration, and 99 percent perspiration, then I don't want to hold anything against Akira Toriyama's bucket full of sweat. DBZ belongs to him, so please don't sue!

Chapter Ten - Trials and Trails

The wind rushed in fitfulness, and the colors of the forest flowed together like the pallet of a disgruntled artist. Bulma could feel where his hand had landed and it burnt at her check as her body flew backwards. It was a fraction of a second. That was all it took, that was all she needed for her mind to register what was happening. In a moment of clarity, against a whirlwind of confusion, did she see the tree, not some little sapling that had only seen through a handful of summers, but a tree of untold age, made of solid hardwood, weathered by infinite winters of snow, and now heading straight towards her. The natural reaction was to close her eyes, and that's precisely what she did. This was it! She was going to die, right here, right now, and by the hand of the man she loved.

She mentally slapped herself! What was she thinking! She should have known better. Any bodily contact was so alien to him! He was a warrior. That was how it worked. Goku had warned her on so many occasions to stay away from him on the battlefield, because he was frightened of hurting her. He had warned her that while his mind was tuned in perfectly to his enemy, that anything else was hard to concentrate on. It was so hard to forget, being around fighters for so long, being friends with them. It was so easy to block out the other side of their natures. Vegeta was right! She did forget who he was.

The look in his eyes was so animalistic, but she had learnt to look beyond that, and now hardly even noticed their intensity. In a way that was part of the reason that she had felt such a pull towards him, and she remembered thinking, when he first came to stay with them, what a privilege it would be, to be loved, and protected by the fire that was hidden in their obsidian depths. The truth was that she hadn't been wrong. It was such an erotically delightful experience. He didn't look at her as a normal person would, in a way he looked into her, searching to her very core with so much passionate desire. Unknowingly she had found a long lost emotion under those years and years of coldness, and the rewards were more than she could have ever dreamt of.

The way he felt, (and contrary to what most of the Z Senshi believed, he did feel,) was so heightened, that at times she thought she would pass out under its pressure. That is how she would always feel, she would always love that untamed power, and the delicious feeling of being able to control it. The trouble was she had only seen him pumped to this degree once before, and that was when they had first met outside her capsule cave house on Namek. Sure she had seen him fight since. Their sparring session in the link had certainly been a memorable one, but that somehow felt different to the real thing. It was a kind of erotic fighting. Oh Kami, it hurt, but the emotions underlying, twisted it into something so much purer. It was at that precise moment that something clicked. People had often told her that she spun logic through her head at a hundred miles per second. Yamcha had even thought it was dangerous, but now everything slotted into place. Damnit! This wasn't going to stop her! How many times had Vegeta rebuffed her in the past? How often had he pushed her away? She was not… NOT going to let him off this lightly! Her mind shifted up a gear, running into overtime as the calculations burnt with resolution. The familiar feeling stamped its natural claim in the pit of her stomach, twisting its way through her body, and exploding its release just in time.

The instant he lashed out Vegeta knew something had felt different, wrong. His mind was raw, brutal, untamed, but the feel, oh shit the feelings… they were all wrong! All he could see was rage, blind rage at what those creatures had done to him. They had taken him, palliated him by his own emotions, and kidnapped him. Held him by force, their little minds crawling around his, taking what they needed! They didn't ask, but they didn't demand either, the forest creatures had coerced, reasoned, persuaded, and finally convinced him to do as his father wished! The indignity. The memories they just wouldn't go away, they worked on his mind making him forget about his body, but still something was out of place. He had to get a grip on the situation, had to find a way to stop it.

He knew what was happening, it was a familiar feeling. He had battled with and against it everyday of his life since participating in that damned Korosu. It was a Jackal and Hyde situation, he could control it most of the time, but there were stages when it was just too powerful for him to handle, and right now seemed to be one of them.

Damn those creatures! He could see them perfectly. They were small! No bigger than two foot in height, (even the most elderly,) and as for their bodies, they were so thin that it looked as though the slightest exertion would snap their fragile little bones. They had practically no depth at all, nymphs of the forest, and the very picture of those fairytale horror stories. Their powers had not been exaggerated! Week in body they may have looked, as fragile as the smallest child they seemed, but he could still feel their power, damning his, leaving him open to do with as they pleased.

He held his head in agony. It was too much; he didn't want to see anymore! The damn game! It was the damn game! It was making a fool of him, showing him those things that he had managed to repress for so long. They burnt through his mind with intensity, trying to influence his actions, forcing that numbness, the addictive cut-off, but he wouldn't let it get the better of him. He could control it. He would control it! "Nothing dictates me! I am the prince of all Saiyan's, and I will not succumb!"

Letting his eyes close and concentrating through the power did he try to clear his head. He remembered the elders words, "Power is addictive!" No shit! He thought in his present struggles. How many months was it since he had first felt the energy losing its grip over his body? He could place it now. It was Bulma!

Bulma.

Then… then it all came crashing down, a movement flittered at the very edge of his peripheral vision, and staggering back in disbelief his target was no longer the aging guardian. Bulma… she had? "Oh Shit!" he cried it out into the moonlit forest. What have I done?

He rushed after her as soon as his mind snapped back into reality, but it was too late to help, and he was left swearing into the frosted air as she impacted. "No! I didn't… it wasn't…!" He was in absolute shock. He had never even realized he had stuck her. No. That wasn't entirely true, he remembered contact, but he was so caught up in his own thoughts, his mind was so focused on other things that he hadn't even been bothered to check. "Shit!" he cussed again. He could see the point of impact and shuddered at the shattered tree. The roots stood firm, but where she had landed there was nothing left, obliterated in an instant, the top flung several feet away, leaning and groaning in its untimely demise against it's more fortunate counterparts.

For what seemed like hours, but was in truth was only a few seconds, Vegeta flew desperately over the cracked and splinted debris, scanning the impact zone for her body. It was impossible for her to be conscious after a collision of such magnitude, and he searched with his heart in his boots. He had fucked things up irreparably, ruined any small chance at happiness. Fuck! He had hit her, failed her in a moment. He had promised! Promised that his hand would never hurt her, and it had barely taken him five hours to break that promise. His mind raced, he couldn't see properly, panic, shame, grief, and anger all took their turn, they pulled at his senses, fighting for supremacy. His eyes tried to focus as he landed in the ring of fractured wood, but it was ridiculous to even attempt to think straight, and he fell to his knees in desperation. He hung his head in anguish, closed his eyes, and whispered her name, a solitary tear falling from the corner of his eye. It rolled down the harsh contours of his face, sparkling under the stars, but never finished its journey to the ground. Something slammed into him and he was knocked cleanly along the forest floor. The familiar sting crept along his jaw.

Somebody had hit him, not just that, but had been powerful enough to take him unawares. Normally he would have been storming, but now… now he didn't care. He deserved it! Whichever of the assembled had the guts to do it was raised tenfold in his opinion, but he deserved more, deserved to be sent to the next dimension and serve an eternity in HFIL, and even that would be light punishment. "Is that the best you have got?" he snarled, hoping to make whoever it was mad enough to put him out of his misery for good.

A foot met abruptly with his ribs, and he screamed out under its pressure. Not because of the pain, no he welcomed it, had earned it, even the stream of power that was hurled at his chest shortly afterwards was not justice enough, he had failed her and that hurt more than any ki beam or attack ever would.

The energy burnt at his chest, but the power was calculated, the administrator of his punishment wanted to see him suffer, and he didn't blame them. The power fizzled out, absorbing itself into his chest, and stung with the force of a thousand bees, but still Vegeta put up no opposition. The divine torture was about to continue he was expecting it as his now limp body was lifted cleanly from the floor. His vision fazed in and out of focus, and he tried to make out the face of his judge, but all he could see was a mixture of fire-lit shadows.

Dangling above the treetops Vegeta wondered why the next blow had taken so long. They had been stationary for almost a minute now and all he wanted was to be finished for good, "Get it over with already!" he shouted.

"But it's no fun if you don't fight back Vegeta!"

"I have no wish to…" he stopped mid-sentence. The voice! It was… familiar, and… female! "Bulma?" He coughed it out in astonishment. "But… that's impossible!"

A shrill laugh erupted around him, "No Vegeta! You're the one who's impossible!" Her grip on his spandex relaxed as she saw his eyes roll down from the back of his head to focus on her properly. Satisfied that he could hover of his own accord she crossed her arms over her chest, and stuck her nose in the air, "What? You didn't honestly think that a little shove and a mere collision with a tree could hurt the future mate of the Prince of all Saiyans did you?"

Vegeta's body went completely limp and he struggled to regain his position in the air as he let out a sigh of relief, "That does not excuse me! I promised that you would not be hurt by my hand." He floated towards her with an outstretched arm and ran his fingers down the fading red mark, "I failed in keeping it."

"No you didn't Vegeta! You tried to warn me. You were right! I do forget what you are, and do you know why? It's because you try and protect me from it. When we sat on top of your gravity room, and I asked about your past, you twisted and changed the subject, until I gave up. When you had that bad dream and clung onto me so tightly that I thought you would crush me, you silenced any questions, because you didn't want to deal with the answers. It was the same when I asked you about your mother. On that occasion you told me quite roundly that you didn't want to talk about it. Every time I have tried to get you to open up to me you shut me out, and now is no different. I know enough of you to realize when something is wrong Vegeta. Tell me what the Ko-oni-jin did to you! You owe me at least that much."

"I owe you a hell of a lot more than that Onna," he looked to the ground and made out the figures of his personal guest list, "Not here though. How did you program the map of this area into the scouter?"

"As you told me. I simply found the data from old files in the scouters memory, deleted the old palace, and attached this instead, why?"

A smirk pulled at his right cheek, "Because now I won't have to explain. I can show you instead. Follow me."

Bulma took a moment to try and piece together what he was trying to say, and her jaw dropped as soon as her brain caught up, "There is no way in hell Vegeta. I saw the look in you're eyes as you were talking to Kandai! If they can freak you out that much, I am not going anywhere near them. No! No way!"

There are times in every person's life when they have moments of pure clarity. It takes them unaware, makes them say things as intensely as they feel them, and to Vegeta this was just such a time, "You are a strange creature Bulma." His thoughts voiced unintentionally.

Under his inspection Bulma suddenly felt nervous, and embarrassed, "I…am?" she questioned feeling the heat flushing to her cheeks as he studied her.

Almost unconsciously Vegeta nodded his confirmation, "You are so volatile, and yet so vulnerable. I have seen many things, but nothing as enigmatic as...." He seemed to catch himself mid-sentence. His head snapped back into its usual arrogance, "Just follow me. The Ko-oni-jin are a peaceful race, you will be in no danger. I was a victim of circumstance that is all."

Caught in the moment Bulma was almost unconscious of the latter half of this speech. She looked straight at Vegeta, and any reply seemed to catch in her throat. After all these months she had spent trying to fathom him out, and still she was no closer. Everything about him at times like this was a walking contradiction, and she wanted so badly to be let in, to be permitted to stroll around that head of his, unlock its mysteries. "Are you coming?" he asked dragging her out of her thoughts, "Or am I going to have to drag you there myself?"

She smiled at his bluntness. At least there was one thing she would always be able to depend on from him. "Fine, but only because you want me to."

In an instant Vegeta had powered up and started flying over the treetops, and she was left hanging in the air, as usual, watching his retreating form. A shrug of the shoulders was all that she allowed herself to feel in exasperation, before following the light of his ki into the blackness that surrounded them.

Trying to remember where the creatures had taken him was difficult. They had taken him hostage in the height of his emotional, primal, and vengeful release of power, and Vegeta's mind had been running more on a way to escape and make them suffer, rather than to where they were actually taking him. His acute sense of smell paid its dividends, as always. At least he could rely on that if nothing else. The clean fresh smell of the forest overpowered his senses, but if he pushed a little bit further, concentrated with greater fortitude, then he could just about trace the damp mustiness of their underground hideaway.

It wasn't far away now. That stagnant smell was becoming stronger, and it made him mentally reel, as its dank aroma automatically linked his mind to their previous encounter. Still it was hard to remember what had actually happened that day. His usual razor sharp memory was yet again failing him at the most crucial moment, but it could not be helped. This was the only way to learn more about it, and maybe even find a way to rid him of their powers for good.

A quick glance over his right shoulder told him that Bulma was following close behind, and as soon as they reached a suitable clearing he called out to her, "Down there," he shouted, before easing up on the power and gently landing on the sodden ground.

A quick survey of the surrounding woods was all he needed, and he strode determinedly into its leafy depths as soon as he heard the squelch of small feet landing behind him. "Ew Vegeta! You had to bring me to the wettest, most disgusting part of your whole miserable planet didn't you! When we get back I'm going to give you a lesson on dating etiquette. Smelly swamps are most definitely a no-no you got that!"

Vegeta decided not to answer. His feet were tracking a way through the forest even before he was fully aware of it. At this range he could sense them. Could practically taste their power. They were all around this area, but he had to keep going, had to find the network of caves and tunnels that they called home, "Onna, stay close to me. We have to find the elders. They live underground about five hundred yards this way. When we enter the cave system it will be dark, but don't flare your ki, keep hold of my hand. I wish to take them unawares, do you understand?"

"Sure thing, but why?"

"I owe them a scare. The disgusting creatures are strong, but not nearly as strong as I am now, I plan to make them sorry for fucking with the Saiyan no Ouji!"

Bulma hung her head low, "Vegeta?"

"What?"

"No killing ok? You said it yourself - they are a peaceful race, and you were a victim of circumstance, it would be wrong to exact revenge on them because of a mistake."

Letting his head drop in agreement Vegeta held out a hand, "No killing," he promised, "I'll just make them wish they were dead." He chuckled under his breath.

Gladly taking his outstretched hand, Bulma walked defiantly along behind her prince. They twisted through bracken filled paths, and mossy outcrops of rock before finding their destination. The weather-torn crags shone out in a sandy coloured stone against the pre-glow of morning. Its towering stone façade loomed several feet above them, and with the occasional unfortunate sapling dangling precariously on its steeped ledges it dominated the skyline. A small vertical groove was carved out of the stone to the left, by thousands of years of geology, and water cascaded in transparent partitions down its vast face, collecting in a small pool of considerable beauty at its base.

A rush of wind, denotable by the rustles of leaves behind them, swept through the foliage, making Bulma jump. At first Vegeta remained still, but after the first gusts died, he spun on the spot to glare threateningly into the darkness they had just escaped. "We need to hurry." He stated simply, and walked into the crystal clear water until it was up to his waist. "This way" he demanded, pulling at her arm, and into the freezing water along with him. The breeze turned to near gale force making Bulma shiver even more. She had never been this cold in her life, and could hear her own teeth chattering.

Vegeta stopped mid stride and sighed, his gloved hand fell into the water, and glowed a brilliant blue. "There are you happy now?" he asked.

The energy radiated through the water causing ripples to disturb it glassy surface, heating it into a bearable level, "Much." She smiled back, but Vegeta didn't seem to hear. His body could have been made out of stone for all the reaction she got, "Vegeta?"

If the blink of an eye were a calculated measure in time, then the disappearing, and re-emergence of Vegeta's muscled form would have been described, as about a fifth of that again. Unfortunately Bulma chose that exact fracture of time to do precisely that, and it seemed to her human vision as if the struggling creature in her princes vice-like grip, had just been magically transported there, because Kandai felt like playing games with her head. The minuscule bone like form, thrashed it's Elfishly pale green limbs in wildness as its head broke the surface of the surrounding lake, whilst a certain Saiyan prince laughed unashamedly at it's upside-down squeals of protest. "Tell me Ko-oni-jin worker, is this the home of the elders?" he sneered as the cries of the captured Ko-oni-jin dulled to petrified sobs.

It's smoothed tiny head looked up with a feral curiously into its captor's face, "Are you a friend?" The voice was high and danced around in the early morning shadows.

Laying her hand on a well-defined shoulder Bulma caressed down the length of Vegeta's arm, letting it play around the fingers that held too tightly onto its prey. Rolling his eyes, and cursing human sensibilities to HFIL and back, he turned the creature the right way round. "We mean neither you, nor your kind any harm." Bulma smiled, and swam across to take a closer look at the floating figure. "I apologise for my friends behaviour, he is a little blunt at times, but if he really wished you harm, then you would probably be dead right now. Are you ok?"

Pale hands nervously reached out to touch the soft supple skin of Bulma's face. The creature seemed to glow against the fading nights sky. Its skeletally light caress, stroked up to meet aquamarine hair, as its powder blue, almond shaped eyes looked fitfully from side to side with the fascination of a child. "You are very pretty!" it stated as the fine hair fell like water through its small fingers, "You have a tail, but you are not Saiyan. Where do you live?"

"Never mind her origins Ko-oni-jin, show us to the elders! I know they are around here somewhere I can smell them." In an effort to emphasise this point Vegeta scrunched his nose up in disgust.

The tiny elfish being jumped at the harsh tones, and turned to look at Bulma, "And you wish us no harm?" it asked, fear still very evident. "The elders are strong. They will hurt you if your intentions are not true."

"No harm at all, we just want to ask them a few questions." She reassured.

Under Vegeta's confirming nod, the Ko-oni-jin worker seemed resigned, and held up a withered arm to the rough stony cliff, allowing the soft glow that surrounded him to mingle with the rising suns misty rays. The sound of rustling leaves melted into the scene, but this time Bulma wasn't fooled. Those were no air currents, and as the water lapped gently against Saiyan armor, did a whole forest full of the enigmatical Ko-oni-jin workers flood skilfully down from the treetops, and into the clearing at their base.

*************************

Well that's it for Chapter Ten. Omg! I can't believe I'm into double figures already! I just want to say that if any of you are sitting there wondering if I am ever going to get to the lemon, then I promise that it is coming, but the plot comes first as always. If you really can't wait then go check out my other fic "All by myself" it should do as a citrus substitute! I'm sorry that this chapter took so long, but hopefully you won't have to wait so long for the next one *~_~*. I will let everyone on my mailing list know when it is posted. Until next time…

Oh and this chapter is dedicated to Kat… get well soon girl!