Dragon Ball/Z/GT Fan Fiction ❯ What Exactly Is Involved In A Saiyan Mating Ritual? ❯ Save her Vegeta! ( Chapter 21 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]

Disclaimer: Ya know the drill… I don't own DBZ and never will. *sniffles*

Chapter 21

Save her Vegeta!

Fireworks and celebration-ki ignited and rebounded seamlessly around the large stadium, the multicoloured explosions intruding on the darkness. Their brilliance flew into the sky in honour of a monumental battle that had been fought for ultimate control of Vegeta-sei and would be celebrated throughout time as a defining point of Saiyan history. The Prince that they paid homage to, however, was completely ignorant of the festivities that surrounded him. Only one thought imposed on his musing and that was Bulma, nothing else mattered. The hope was there, tainted but strong, that she was still alive, and his face twisted into the slightest of smiles under the impression, before he allowed himself to mask back up into his usual seriousness.

This wasn't a time for celebration or sentimentality - it was a time for action. What the Elder had said was very true. If the game had absorbed the bond, as it had to have done for the Elder to claim a portion of his mind, then Bulma had still lost her part of the energy, and that could only be bad news. Not giving a flying damn about any of the characters that still remained, his hand pressed at the temple. There was a momentary dread that maybe the Ko-oni-jin had managed to find a way of keeping him in the Link from beyond the next dimension, but it didn't last long as the image of his scouter disappeared impeccably, void of any warning of malfunction and enforcing the beginnings of pain to seep around the edge of his consciousness.

The moment it hit he knew something was wrong. Seriously wrong. The pain seared, as the electric pulses of the game relinquished their hold over his body and reintroduced him back into the reality he had more than willingly left. It wasn't that it was anymore debilitating than usual, it was the ineffectiveness of his body to react to it that gave him real concern. It felt frighteningly like when he had been under the Elders power in the cave system. His body was weak, unable to combat the pain as effectively or rebuff the power, as it should.

Consciousness slowly crept into being. His focus swam but was enough to determine that he was no longer in Bulma's bedroom, and his sense of smell regained to absorb the clinical perfume of antiseptic, reinforcing the idea that something out of the ordinary had occurred. Voices lent their direction to where his vision was, as yet, unable to go.

"You should be getting some rest my boy."

"No, I couldn't possibly, not while she is still in danger."

"I'm just glad she's breathing again, even if it is with the aid of a ventilator." There was a deep sigh, "I really thought I had lost her, and it worries me that I am still no closer to coming up with a reason why her body is shutting down this way, but all things considered, her condition has stabilized. All we can do is pray that Vegeta will know how to help her. He is her only hope now."

"Yeah, but if he does come out from the game will he really be in any condition to help? I mean even with my assistance his energy is really low. It would be at least another couple of days before his energy reserves are back to normal, can we really wait that long?"

There was a pause before Dr Briefs voice responded in a despondent "No."

Silence reigned.

"Hey I know! What about the dragonballs? Couldn't we use them to make her better? I think this constitutes as an emergency don't you?"

"I'm not sure," mused the Doctor, "The problem is how we would word the wish? The dragon may not even have the power to cure her if an exact cause is unknown. I really want to leave Shenlong as a last resort."

"I think last resort time passed ten minutes ago when she stopped breathing, but…" there was a pause, "I could use my instant translocation to see if Karin has any Senzu beans in season, would that help?"

"Yes! Of course… and if there are more than one, we can double our chances of success!"

"How do you mean?"

"I mean giving Bulma a whole bean won't be able to stop her body from shutting down. It would just be delaying the inevitable. If, on the other hand, we were to give one to Vegeta then he would have his energy restored enough to help us come up with a way of saving her when he wakes up. What do you say?"

"I say its time to pay Karin a visit, either way we have nothing to lose! I'll be right back!"

There was a slight rustle of ki and then muttering to the affect of, "Oh boy I'll never get used to him doing that." And then silence.

Vegeta ground his teeth. He had heard more than enough to take a mental grab of the situation. It was, as he feared… Bulma was still alive, but she was near to death, suffering yet again thanks to his thoughtlessness. There was, however, one dimension that Goku and Dr Brief had not accounted for. It was Vegeta's devotion to Bulma and jealousy of Goku. He may be weak, too weak to help, but there was no way he was going to stay in that damn bed whilst, yet again, Kakarrot played hero! The fact that he was even there was enough to make Vegeta's weakened ki ignite fitfully around the body, and instigate diminished limbs to force direction and movement as he clawed at the various wires that dotted his bare chest.

"Get…" his voice defied him, rasping weakly when he wanted to roar with anger, "Get these fucking machines off me!"

There was an excited padding of feet and machines beeped out their monotone warnings as wires fell. "Vegeta!" there was a pause of disbelief, "My Kami I can't believe it, how on earth are you conscious, your body should have completely shut down with the readings I took from you! What are you doing?" he asked as the Saiyan thrashed wildly in a bid to get off the bed, "you have to rest!"

"Not a chance!" he barked, "Where is she?"

It was at this point that Vegeta's mind finally caught up with the weakened state of his body, and as the last wires holding him firm were detached, he fell with little grace to the concrete floor.

"Bulma is stable for now… you have to rest Vegeta, you will be no help to her at all if you don't!"

"Don't give me that shit. I may be weak, but that doesn't make me as stupid as Kakarrot. She is dying, and every minute you waste telling me to rest, is a minute less that I can help her."

"Do you know what is wrong with her?" the old man asked incredulous.

The Saiyan rose defiantly to his knee's, his head swimming and limbs straining as he tried to stay upright. "She needs energy" he growled, his throat sore "… my energy."

"It doesn't look to me like you have any to spare Vegeta. Perhaps when Goku gets back you can get him to help h…"

Dr. Brief may not be an overly vigilant man, but even he couldn't miss the thunderclap of anger, which drew Vegeta's face together in a furrowing of the brow. "This is NOT," he choked on the word, a coughing fit delaying the rest of his speech, "not… something which Kakarrot can assist in! In fact, it is something that no one other than Bulma and myself should be present during! I wish to be left alone with her."

"Vegeta, you are not seeing sense. Goku will be back any minute with a Senzu, surely you see the logic in that!"

"Logic yes, but very little pride." He admonished.

The old mans calm exterior was lost, "Listen here! My daughters life hangs in the balance, in YOUR hands to be more precise, and I will not, WILL NOT stand by and let you kill her because accepting some help got in the way of your damned pride!"

"Dammit old man! That is not what I meant… I…" A sudden wave of nausea stopped his speech, causing the effort of dry retching to strain at his stomach. Admitting defeat his hands balled into fists as the pain told him that which even his debilitation didn't - Bulma's father was right. The white of his gloves crumpled as they slammed angrily to the ground. "Fine! I will wait for Kakarrot, but as soon as I have a Senzu you will both leave, is that understood?"

"As you wish Vegeta."

Dr. Brief watched as the Saiyan feebly tried to find his feet. It wasn't going to happen, but knowing that Vegeta wouldn't accept help, he turned away, not being able to stifle the smile as his companion covered his immobility by growling, "I'll wait for him here. There is no sense in going back to bed if Kakarrot is bringing a senzu."

Walking towards Bulma's bed Dr Brief looked down, trying to repress the tears he had failed to control earlier. His hand encompassed hers, "Why wouldn't you let me go?" he sniffled, running a hand through her hair. "If I had gone I would be the one suffering now, not you."

"No you wouldn't." Vegeta's voice was unnervingly quiet, "If you had gone into the game instead, your head would be sore, but that's all."

The old man blinked. "How do you mean?"

"I mean that one of the characters in the game chose to steal a certain portion of her energy in an attempt to control me. You do not own any such energy, so would have been fine."

"I…I tried to stop her, but you know what she's like." His head hung low, "she wouldn't listen to me. She thought only of helping you!"

"Baka Onna." came the low, but affectionate curse.

"I actually agree with you for once Vegeta" he smiled, but the effort was lack lustre.

"What's taking Kakarrot so long?"

***************************************

Long shadows interlaced the small platform in reaction to the fading sun. The whole scene was depicted in a soft mixture of reds and oranges as its rays dipped under the thin wisps of cloud, surrendering its territory to the stars. The sense of peace and natural balance being created was complimented by the simple white structure of Karin Tower. This was, however, a peace that wasn't about to last.

"Aw man! You only have one?"

"Goku this isn't a factory, these beans can't be rushed. Between yourself and Vegeta you strain my resources to the limits as it is. You should be thankful that I even have one for you!"

"I'm sorry Karin-sama, but I really need two, are you sure you haven't got anymore lying around. Things get lost so easily and…"

"Hey Karin I got it!" the voiced boomed across the platform, as Yajirobe exited from the side, "Jeez I don't know why I have to do all the legwork. I'm not your slave ya know!"

"Aw pipe down!" The large cat was calm, its eyes closed in thought, "You know Goku you could always split it in two. It wouldn't be as beneficial as a full one, but it would still increase their strength."

"Yeah, I just hope it will be enough. Man, what a mess!"

The wise cat nodded his head in agreement. "You should get going?"

"You're right Karin… but" There was a loud rumble emanating from Goku's stomach. His features twisted into a pained anguish, "You wouldn't happen to have anything to eat would you?"

Karin face-vaulted, "No I wouldn't," he grumbled, casting an accusing eye at Yajirobe.

"What?" whined the cowardly fighter, "A guys gotta eat."

"Well I can identify with that!" groaned Goku, "It's OK I'll pay Kami-sama a visit before I go back. Mr Popo is sure to have something. Who knows, he might be able to tell me what's wrong with Bulma-chan."

"I think that's a very good idea." Agreed Karin, "Tell him I said hello."

"Will do Karin!" replied Goku with an apathetic smile, as he climbed over the railings and lighting his ki, flew upward towards the look out.

The air pushed at his features as the oxygen thinned around him, the shroud of his ki keeping him warm as he flew higher. Sensing his arrival Kami and Mr Popo were already walking across the large platform to greet him as he touched down on the tiled floor. "Hey guys!" he chirped, "Any food going?"

"Of course Goku," came the placid sound of Mr Popo's voice, "Follow me!"

"Alright!" He yelled about to eagerly run after the guardian's guide, when he caught Kami's concerned eyes and his features hardened a little, "I need your help Kami-sama."

"I know." came the stoic reply.

"You know what's wrong?"

"Of course," smiled the old man, "I know everything."

"Then you know why I am here."

Kami nodded. "I will tell you what is happening. Trunks' prediction is playing out. Vegeta and Bulma were using the game to participate in what Saiyan's have termed as a 'Mating ritual.' At the end of this ritual it is customary to have an energy sharing. Unfortunately Vegeta, having been taken from his home planet when he was still very young, had been told about the energy sharing, but not in context. He was unaware that it should have been performed after the ritual. To be more precise, he was not even properly aware what he was doing when he gave the energy to Bulma. This is not to say he did not want her to have it. Quite the contrary in fact, it was his desire for her that instigated the transfer, but had he been fully cognisant at the time, he may well have waited."

"So the energy is affecting Bulma this way because she is not Saiyan?" Goku asked as he sat down to a table laden with a variety of dishes.

"No, not at all. Saiyan's and humans have almost identical physiology, the difference in species is irrelevant. It is the loss of this energy that is the main concern." His head lowered, "I have been watching their relationship develop with great interest, seeing as it is so vital to the future of Chikyu. During the game Bulma had this energy forcefully taken from her, that is why her body is shutting down."

"I see, so Vegeta has to reintroduce this power, before she will recover?"

"Yes," agreed the ageing Namek, "but I have been doing some research into this. I fear there may be a complication."

"Really?"

"I mean that both of them have exited the game before the 'Mating Ritual' was completed. Without the energy sharing being properly sanctioned by the Guardian, it will never be stabilized. The effect of the game they were playing has unwittingly triggered this reaction to accelerate. Time was slowed whilst they were in there and has gradually been degrading the energy for both of them. That is why Vegeta has become so weak so quickly."

"So how can we stop it?" asked Goku, between mouthfuls.

"I'm not sure," Kami admitted, "Vegeta reintroducing his energy to Bulma is a start, but it will only be a temporary cure. The power needs to be properly sanctioned."

"Can't you do it? I mean you are a Guardian right?"

"I wish I could Goku, but it is a power only known to the Guardian of Vegeta-sei himself."

"So what can we do? Vegeta-sei has been destroyed for over twenty years, Shenlong can't revive a person after that long has passed."

"Well I have not totally given up hope. You go back and take them the senzu, and I will consult the Kai's, see if there is anything they can do."

"Will do!" Goku literally breathed in the last of his noodles. "Should I let them know what is happening?"

"Not just yet. Wait until Vegeta has completed the bond and then let them know. Above all they need rest."

"OK… Well I'll be seeing you around Kami-sama… thanks for the chow Mr Popo! You guys are awesome!" Without another word Goku put his fingers to the forehead and in a blink of ki, was gone.

"Well," Kami sighed, "It's time to pay the Kai's a visit. Let's just hope this will work! Mr Popo do you have the joke book on standby?"

"Yes Kami,"

"…and the latest issues of Razz?"

"They are in the special place Kami-sama, but are you sure its absolutely necessary?"

Kami groaned and pinched the bridge of his nose, "Unfortunately it is Mr Popo," he muttered, wandering back to his palace, "unfortunately it is."

*********************************

"Kakarrot, stop staring at me like that and give me the damn senzu." Vegeta coughed, spitting up the smallest amount of blood.

"But Vegeta. I just can't believe you were able to get out of bed! You really are something else you know that." He bent down and after splitting the bean in two, passed half of it to Vegeta.

The Saiyan no Oji snatched it out of Goku's hand with such violence that, had he been human, the appendage would probably have been ripped from the arm. "Don't insult me Kakarrot." He rebuked, sneering as he chewed the bean and swallowed, "I am an elite, not some third class baka. My regenerative capabilities are second to none."

"Yeah, but still!"

Vegeta was spared the dishonour of replying to his rival. The power of the senzu fell in waves of intoxication over his body, rendering speech impossible. The sensation tingled through every nerve, sending jolts of ki scorching through his drained limbs. Muscles bulged, energy flowed and body healed, as its influence dominated his entire being.

There was a kind of demonic pleasure, intricately etched on Vegeta's features as his body healed from the inside out. He could feel the murmurings of power that his regenerated body promised. His head raised a little as the feeling of euphoria dulled to an exited rush, his recovering ki creating a slight heat haze as he looked up from under his eyebrows, "One step closer Kakarrot." He taunted.

"Ha! You'll be a Super Saiyan in no time!" cooed Goku, and if it weren't for the fact that he teleported out of the room, Vegeta would have sent a ki ball flying to his face for the audacity of using such patronising tones.

Vegeta was still seething ten minutes later when Dr Brief spoke, "All done!" he sighed, wiping his brow, "She's all yours Vegeta! The senzu has been added to her drip and the sedative has worn off. Promise me that you'll save her?"

"I will make no promise of the kind, but you may rest assured that I will do everything in my power to prevent her death."

Quietened, but not totally reassured by Vegeta's words, Bulma's father slunk out of the room. He closed his eyes and gulped down the lump in his throat, willingly leaving his most treasured possession to the care of a man who had murdered millions, but whom he now looked upon with (if not respect) then something as frighteningly close.

Left on his own Vegeta's full attention was now focused on Bulma. He walked up to the bed that he had deliberately averted his eyes from, for so long as he was not alone. He could not be assured that he would be able to keep his cool seeing her lying there because of his actions, and the last thing he wanted was to show how truly weak he was under the impression in front of people who could easily use it against him. He didn't believe that Kakarrot ever would, but still the protective warrior instinct in him couldn't be chased out. It was a part of him, the small part that clung to its heritage and breeding, despite prolonged displacement, unbroken even after all the years under Frieza's control.

It was this tiny part of himself that he had offered her in the energy sharing, and she had accepted, even though she did not understand it. She knew full well about that night and yet she had never questioned him about it, not even alluded to the powers that existed inside of her. He might have found her silence on the subject rather hurtful had her body not told him that she wanted it, but his senses gave her away, even before her beautiful voice spoke the confirming words.

Determinedly he looked down at her, his arms crossed over the chest. The scowl that dominated his face deepened as he studied her features, which were drawn together in unconscious suffering. A vein protruded on his forehead, the anger at his own actions, consuming him completely for a moment. The senzu seemed to be taking effect, as Bulma's pained expression cleared momentarily, only to give way to her limbs clawing desperately at the bedding around her. Her obvious distress was realized in a single tear slipping silently, but not unnoticed from under a closed eyelid.

Vegeta's stomach secretly clenched at the sight. He couldn't watch any longer, and unfolding an arm, knelt down at her side, tangling a gloved hand in aquamarine hair, his thumb rubbing gently at her temple, "Be strong Bulma," he whispered, "I'm going to help you." His other hand lay gently on her stomach, stroking and smoothing over the thin cotton sheets that covered her. "I'm sorry." He concluded, saying his peace if the worst were to happen and the fusion of power was to prove unsuccessful.

His eyes closed, concentrating, focusing on the power he needed. It was a different process to collecting normal ki. It didn't flow along with his blood, it originated in the pit of the stomach and was only reachable under constant thought, and inevitably… emotion. He focused on her hurt, on his own perverseness. All the anger and rage that the Ko-oni-jin had stimulated and brought to bear during the game, collecting it all together, finally tempering it with the feeling that her death had inspired. It had been totally unexpected. A feeling that he had struggled to come to terms with over the past months, living with her, watching her, wanting her. There was no word in Saiyan to translate from and so he had balled it up, pushed it to the back of his mind, only now admitting the human term for it… love.

A smattering of power slowly began to collect in conjuncture with these revelations, glowing a brilliance of gold around his form, the energy rising indomitably over his skin. Had anyone else been around who was cognisant enough to notice, they might have even seen the edges of his eye turn a uniform hint of teal and his eyebrows glow the same colour as the energy pouring through his body, as he pushed it gently to his open palm. Slowly the power moved down, leaving his own body and diffusing in an ethereal beauty over that of Bulma's.

Her back arched dramatically as it's near spiritual embrace held her small form tight under the spell. No part of her was allowed leverage and soon the soft glowing encompassed her completely in a shroud of golden beauty. Sweat poured from Vegeta's brow, dropping in crystal elegance onto her form as the energy was relinquished, his body turning back to normal.

The effort made him fall back, angry that the power had left him and he could do no more. Everything was out of his control now… the energy was hers. He watched in stunned silence as it radiated over her in waves, his eyes desperately searching for the slightest sign that her body was accepting it. He wasn't quite sure how long it would take, after all she had been through so much, was still so weak. His mind was in a stupefied anguish as he waited, and almost desperately he pushed off the floor. Carefully he climbed onto the bed, his arms winding around Bulma's waste, pulling her body as close to his own as he could, "remember Bulma," he whispered, "You have to be strong… let it work. I have lost you once. I will not lose you again."

********************************************************* ************

A/N - *hides* I'm sooooo sorry this took so long. Me + kids off school = limited time for writing and absolutely no chance of being able to concentrate. Thank goodness school has started again. The next chapter should be out a lot sooner as a result. *huggles* ~Ember~