Dragon Ball/Z/GT Fan Fiction ❯ Wish For The Past ❯ Kakarot?! ( Chapter 2 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
Important to know: Chibi Goku is 7 years old and was sent to Earth as an infant (meaning, seven years before Vegeta-sei would have been blown to bits). Yes, I know this contradicts the actual timeline. I have my reasons (which you'll find out later in the story). I'll just say that Goten was wished into an alternate timeline where Goku was born earlier, and thus sent to Earth earlier.

Disclaimer: DBZ is not mine. I only WISH it was mine. Trunks is not mine. I only own a really hot wall hanging of him. However, if anyone asks, TRUNKS IS MINE! HANDS OFF! *latches onto a disturbed looking Mirai Trunks*

Wish For The Past
(Kakarot?!)

Oh crud, oh crud, oh crud! Trunks stared numbly at the spot Goten had been sitting in not more than a minute ago. It had taken him about ten seconds to realize that his best friend was gone and another twenty seconds for it to dawn on him what that meant. Goten didn't tell the dragon where he wanted to meet his grandpa! Oh CRUD!!! Visions of the innocent little demi-saiyan lost in the depths of Hell flashed through the nine year old's head as he rocked back and forth slightly in shock. Trunks was fairly certain that Goten's grandpa would be in Hell. His father, Vegeta, said that was where most Saiyans ended up.

Trunks was brought out of his stupor by a sudden flash of insight. His eyes widened further as he realized the implications of what had just happened. "My parents are gonna kill me!" he yelped out loud. "Goten and I didn't ask permission to go searching for the dragonballs. What'll they say when I show up and tell them 'Hey mom, hey dad, Goten and I ran off without telling you where we were going. Then we used the dragonballs and accidentally wished Goten into Hell.' Oh man, I am so dead!" He moaned and buried his head in his hands.

Another thought formed in the boy's head, something even worse than the previous thoughts, if that was possible. "Oh no," he whispered, suddenly quite still, frozen in terror at the mere idea. "What will happen when Chi-Chi finds out?"

~*~

Bardock stared at the back of the little Saiyan boy who shouldn't have been allowed anywhere near this battlefield, let alone in the middle of it. The kid was currently looking around with unhidden curiosity. As if he sensed Bardock's eyes on him, the tailed child turned around and Bardock came face to face with...

...himself? What the hell?! The boy who looked at him quizzically had Bardock's spiky, every-which-way hair, his obsidian black eyes, his nose, his mouth, his face. Everything about the boy looked like a young version of Bardock himself, though the kid had no scar on his cheek, as the older Saiyan did. Bardock was starting to question his sanity right about now. Frieza was... gone, and now he was face to face with a littler version of himself. Maybe this was another one of those visions, or maybe he was dead and had gone to Hell. Maybe he was still recovering from that last mission and the past events were really just a bad dream.

These thoughts were dispelled when the 'little Bardock' did a very un-Bardock-like thing. His eyes widened and he grinned. A rather silly grin, as though he'd just gotten into the cookie jar. "You look like 'Tousan!" the boy chirped, forever banishing from Bardock's mind any suspicions that this might actually be a younger version of himself. Unfortunately, no new suspicions popped into his head to replace the old ones, leaving one very confused Bardock.

"Huh? What's a 'tousan'?" Bardock tested out the unfamiliar word as he placed a hand behind his head in an unconscious gesture of puzzlement. Despite his green saiyan armor, he looked, to Goten, almost exactly like Goku did when he was confused.

"A Tousan is a dad," Goten explained patiently.

A moment passed as Bardock let this sink in. He eyed Goten thoughtfully. He looks just like me. And he can't be that old, considering how short he is. Wait a second... Bardock looked very startled as he remembered something. "Kakarot!" he gasped, finally making the connection between this kid who looked like him and the son he had sent off to some backwater planet a few years past. This kid looked to be about the age his son would be at this point. Could it be? But how?

"Carrot? What? Where?" Goten's eyes darted around, looking for the aforementioned food. Maybe some of that delicious feast he and Trunks had wished for had come along for the ride. Much to the little Saiyan's disappointment, there was no sight of anything edible in the immediate vicinity. Darn! I knew I should've eaten some of that feast before I made the second wish. It hadn't really been that long since he'd eaten breakfast, but he could always eat more food! It was Goten's lot in life to be perpetually hungry.

"No, no, you're Kakarot," Bardock said, the corner of his mouth twitching ever so slightly.

"I am?" Goten was confused. He scratched the back of his head in the famous hereditary gesture only his family could pull off. "But I thought I was Goten!"

This made Bardock frown. "But you look like my son, Kakarot, and you just said that I looked like your father."

Goten slapped his head with one hand, grinning in realization. "Oh! Veggie-chan calls my dad Kakarot! You must be my grandpa! My wish did come true after all! And here I thought something went wrong!" With that said, the little Bardock look-alike zipped through the air and into his greatly surprised grandfather's arms. He wrapped his short arms around Bardock's neck, grinning into the older Saiyan's confused face. "I'm Son Goten! It's nice to meet you, grandpa."

If Goten had been paying attention, he would have noticed that Bardock was, one, having trouble breathing. Goten was hanging onto his neck, after all. Two, he would have seen a bewildered expression on his grandpa's face.

Grandpa? What the hell is this kid talking about? I'm barely old enough to have two kids, let alone grandchildren! "I'm Bardock. And what kind of a name is Son Goten?" Bardock asked the first question that surfaced in his mind. You could hardly blame the guy for being disoriented.

"It's the one my daddy gave to me, of course," Goten said as though this was the most obvious thing in the world. In Goten's mind, it was. Fortunately for Bardock, the demi-saiyan noticed that he was hugging his grandfather's neck just a little too tightly and he loosened his grip.

Thank goodness there aren't any other Saiyans up here, Bardock mused to himself. Even though it looks like Frieza isn't going to kill me, I'd die of embarrassment at being caught with this kid huggingme! And grinning like an idiot, too! Any gods out there care to tell me just how in hell a Saiyan child can be raised to behave like this? And how in the world did he get to be so strong?! I'm not exactly a weakling, and just having this kid hanging onto my neck nearly made me choke! Bardock paused at that thought. The kid was strong. And he'd been in the path of that Death Ball Frieza had flung at Vegeta-sei. And the attack had been bounced right back at the lizard... by this boy?!?! Surely not! But how else could the attack have been turned back on Frieza? No one else had been anywhere near the blast. Could this boy really be strong enough to defeat Frieza?

Bardock hastily detached Goten from his neck and held him out at arm's length, examining him. Once again, he was struck by the uncanny resemblance the child had with himself. And by the lack of resemblance. This boy's face was too innocent, too... open, to be his own face. Bardock had no doubt that this boy made a poor liar, though how that could be true for any Saiyan was beyond him. "If you're my grandson," he said, suspicious but deciding to play along with the kid's story for now, "how is it that you're here, when my son Kakarot, the one you claim is your father, is barely as old as you, if that?"

"Well, y'see," Goten began, suddenly looking rather guilty, "me and Trunks made a wish on the dragonballs that I could meet you. I guess the Dragon sent me to the past instead of bring you to meet me. Maybe I shoulda been more careful in how I made that wish." He looked up at his grandpa's blank, uncomprehending face. This was going to take a lot of explaining, he could tell. He opened his mouth to say more when his stomach interrupted him, loudly. The little demi-Saiyan grinned sheepishly. "Er... I don't suppose we could go find something to eat, huh?"

A large sweatdrop trailed down the back of Bardock's head. Maybe the boy was more Saiyan than first impressions indicated. Bardock's stomach growled, too. "Okay, we'll find something to eat. And then you can tell me just what the hell you mean by 'dragonballs' and wishes and everything else." Bardock was still suspicious of this brat, but, hey, a full stomach just might be what he needed to clear his head.

Goten scowled. If his kaasan had heard his grandpa using language like that, she'd be on him with her frying pan in an instant. His stomach growled again, louder this time, and he decided to ignore the bad word for now. Some things were definitely more important, like food!!

Together, the two Saiyans descended from the battlefield in the sky, Bardock in the lead with Goten trailing not far behind, one troubled, the other happily oblivious.

~*~

The end of another chapter! Hope you all enjoyed it! ^_^ If you have any questions, comments, suggestions, praise, etc. you can review or e-mail me.

What will happen in the next chapter? Will Bardock believe Goten is telling the truth? Will Trunks have the guts to face the wrath of his parents and Goten's parents? Who knows? Stay tuned for another exciting episode of... umm... *trails off* Oh yeah! Now I remember what the name of this story is! *audience facefaults in unison* Of Wish For The Past!