Dragon Knights Fan Fiction ❯ Emerging ❯ Lost ( Chapter 1 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
Disclaimer: Hello there! I don't own Dragon Knights. Mineko Ohkami does. But I am a proud owner of every book in the series. I also own a cowboy hat. But that's beside the point.

Rating: T. Because I said so...although right now it's probably closer to K+ rated. But that's okay.

Emerging

Chapter One: Lost

----

The Dragon Tribe was holding a meeting. Rath, Thatz, Rune, Ruwalk, and Tetheus were, at least. Rath was pacing restlessly around the room while That and Rune sat on a couch watching Ruwalk fiddle nervously behind the Dragon Lord's desk, as he was acting as such while Lyokeon was sick, and Tetheus was leaning against the door frame looking quite calm.

"You don't understand!" Rath suddenly exclaimed, startling Rune out of his thoughts.

"Rath, we can't send you, Rune, and Thatz into the heart of enemy territory to get Cesia back. It's too dangerous..." Ruwalk replied, already exasperated with the situation.

"It's more dangerous to leave her there! Here mere presence is strengthening their power!" Rath explained, still pacing restlessly.

"It doesn't matter, Rath. We can't send you there, and you know it," Ruwalk argued, standing up and glaring at Rath angrily.

"You're only digging us into a deeper hole! If you can't send me, at least send someone! Send them!" Rath retorted, glaring back at Ruwalk as he gestured towards his fellow Dragon Knights.

Rune sighed as he looked at Rath. "Calm down, Rath. We can't go into the heart of enemy territory, especially if Cesia is increasing their power like you say. It's suicide!"

"If we don't get her back, they win!" Rath hissed at Ruwalk.

"Rath, it's too dangerous to send anyone, much less the he--you," Ruwalk replied loudly, as calmly as he could. There was a slight pause before he whispered softly, "Especially with Lyokeon sick..."

"Oh, so that's what this is about?! You can't send your heir into enemy territory?!" he yelled back, causing Thatz to jump.

Rune turned to Ruwalk, "WAIT! Rathis the Dragon Lord's heir?!" he exclaimed while Thatz's jaw dropped.

"It's a long story..." Ruwalk sighed, "But that's exactly it, Rath. With Lyokeon sick, we can't risk losing his heir as well. So, we can't let you go."

Rath leaned closer to Ruwalk. "She has the Dragon Eyes," he whispered to the officer.

"What?!" He exclaimed loudly, even startling Tetheus enough to look over, "How..."

"He's right, Ruwalk," Tetheus interjected, leaving the Yellow Officer to wonder if he was the only one who hadn't been informed of this detail.

"So we have to go get her, right Ruwalk?" Rath continued, unfazed by Tetheus' interruption.

"Well...yes...but you still can't go!"

"Why not?" the Fire Knight exclaimed angrily.

Ruwalk sighed. "We've been through this Rath. You're the he--"

"I won't be if you don't let me go! I'll refuse to take the throne when the wimp dies! I'll leave and never come back, and then the kingdom will fall --"

"That's blackmail," Ruwalk hissed.

"But you can't risk it," Rath replied with a grin, knowing he'd won.

Ruwalk let out a big sigh. "Okay. Go. Take Thatz and Rune..." Ruwalk replied, defeated.

"But...how do we get there...?" Rune asked carefully.

"There's a demon in the city that's been terrorizing people by opening portals to the Demon Lands. Find him." Tetheus spoke up, walking out the door.

Rath grabbed Rune and Thatz's arms, pulling them with him as he ran out the door. Ruwalk watched them leave before sitting back down in Lyokeon's chair. "...how do you deal with that boy...?" he questioned the absent man, closing his eyes. He hated letting Rath go off with Lyokeon sick, but they couldn't risk him abdicating the throne. Not with the state things were currently in.

----

After a half hour of wondering through the broken city, the Dragon Knights came upon a demon-looking creature with its back turned to them. It was standing next to a portal-looking swirl, so Thatz pointed at it. "That's him, right?"

"Yup. C'mon." Rath replied, running foreward to the black pool and jumping in.

"Just great..." Rune complained as he and Thatz jumped in behind him before the demon could notice.

The other side of the portal led to a barren plateau, where they saw Rath already looking over the edge. Thatz went up behind Rath. "That the castle?" he questioned, looking at the building ahead. Rath nodded, looking down into the Sea of the Dead below them.

"How do we get there?" Rune asked, staring worriedly at the Sea. Rath looked at him and shrugged before glancing at their surroundings once again.

"Uh...guys? Company..." Thatz hissed, looking behind them. Rath and Rune turned to see the group of Yokai that had appeared while they had been castle-watching.

"I have an idea..." Rath whispered. Rune and Thatz looked at him, "We get captured. They'll take us to the castle and then we can rescue Cesia." The other two nodded carefully and they started attacking the Yokai, making sure to not beat them up before the Knights could get toted into the castle.

The battle was quick as the Dragon Knights killed all but the three strongest demons before getting dragged towards the Demon Lord's Castle.

"Well, Rath...your plan worked..." Thatz drawled as they were dragged through the dungeons by three very upset and newly lonely demons.

"She's here..." Rath said absentmindedly as he felt her power, ignoring Thatz completely as he broke out of his Yokai captor's hold before killing him. He helped free his teammates quickly. "C'mon, we need to find her," he explained, running towards the power he felt, following an invisible path. Rune and Thatz ran after him, confused as to how Rath knew this, but trusting him just the same.

----

Cesia had felt the Dragon Knights as soon as the entered the castle. She had been praying that they would come rescue her, so now she sat silently, willing them towards the room she was kept in. Cesia was relieved. Even if she didn't get along with the insufferable Fire Dragon Knight, she knew that he could rescue her, and trusted that he would. She turned towards the door as she heard a commotion down the hallway. She ran to the door, flinging it open to see that the guards usually stationed by her door to keep her in had deserted their posts to deal with the commotion, caused by Rune and Thatz. She felt someone grab her from behind and elbowed him in the side, spinning quickly and ready to attack again.

"Gah! Cesia! I'm here to rescue you!" Rath exclaimed, clutching his side and gasping to get back his breath.

"Oh! Rath!" Cesia exclaimed, latching her arms around his neck, "You came to rescue me!"

"'Course I did!" he replied, trying to untangle himself, "You're the--" he cut off, not wanting to give away too much to the just-rescued girl.

Cesia detached herself from him with skeptical look. "I'm the what?" she questioned.

"No time. Let's go," he replied, grabbing her srist and dragging her back towards Rune and Thatz, whose defeated foes lay unmoving on the ground. They hurried back to the castle's entryway, where a portal to the Dragon Kingdom had been opened. They picked through the remains of the city and back into the castle carefully, Rath dragging Cesia along behind him none-too-pleasantly.

"Thank God you're safe!" Ruwalk exclaimed when they came through the gate, giving Rath a glare that said 'You're in trouble.'

Rath shrugged. He didn't care. Ruwalk couldn't do anything to him anyway. Besides, he was too busy watching Cesia from the corner of his eye. She glanced over at him as she talked to Ruwalk and Rath quickly stormed off. Cesia blinked after him. Had he been watching her? She sighed. There was no way he felt anything but contempt for her. That fact had already been established. But he had saved her...

----

Rath punched the wall of his room, startling the napping Fire. "Dammit!" he exclaimed, hitting the wall again. Cesia had seen him staring at her, he was sure of it! What would she think now? Rath looked at Fire.

'What's wrong, master?' the dragon questioned, looking at his master nervously.

"Nothing, Fire. Nothing important..." he replied. Fire didn't believe him, but let it slide and tried to go back to sleep.

There was a quick knock on the door and both dragon and knight looked over. "Mister Rath? Ruwalk has called a meeting. He wants you there."

"Coming..." Rath mumbled. Fire sighed and hopped onto his master's shoulder. He could nap later.

Rath walked quickly to the meeting room, mumbling to himself about stupid duties.

When he opened the door, the other Dragon Knights, Ruwalk, Tetheus, and Cesia were already there. He assumed Lady Rasalene was with the sick Dragon Lord. Rath glared at the Yellow Dragon Officer. "What's this all about?" he questioned, collapsing unceremoniously into a nearby chair.

"This is about the Dragon Lord's health," Ruwalk replied, making sure everyone was listening, "he can't go on much longer..."

"Good. It's about time that man died..."

"Rath! You can't say things like that!" Cesia protested. Rath had just opened his mouth to argue when Ruwalk interrupted.

"This means, Rath," he said, shooting the boy a warning glare, "that you need to start training to rule. So that you can take the throne."

"The kingdom is doomed..." Cesia muttered. Tetheus hid a grin while Rath glared at her.

"And Cesia, seeing as you have the Dragon Eyes, you also have to undergo some training so that you can become the next Queen," Ruwalk continued.

"WHAT?! I-I...I have to marry RATH?!"

"Don't sound so excited..." Rath muttered dejectedly while Thatz snickered in the background and Tetheus fought to control another grin.

"But...he's a...I can't...he doesn't...I can't marry Rath!"

"Well, I don't wanna marry you either!" Rath retorted childishly, crossing his arms and glaring at the wall.

"Rath. Cesia. Whatever problems you have with each other, resolve them now. The future of the Dragon Kingdom relies on the two of you," Ruwalk interjected, trying to avoid a full-out war in the meeting room.

"Screw the future! I won't marry her!" Rath exclaimed, jumping up from his seat, causing Fire to fall off of his perch.

"Rath, you were the one that pointed out she had the Dragon Eyes," Tetheus replied slowly, still leaning against the wall.

"You would have if I hadn't--" Rath spat.

"This is all your fault Rath!" Cesia yelled, glaring at him with tears in her eyes before storming out of the room.

Rath blinked, a bit taken aback, before grabbing Fire and storming off himself, leaving the other four in the room wondering what they should do.

----

Yeah, so...I realized that I had deleted all my former fan fictions and had yet to put anything else up, so I found this gem on my computer and decided to upload it. It was written...probably a year ago? There's part of another chapter written as well, so I guess I'll try to finish that...

But yeah. I just read the final volume of Dragon Knights! This is obviously set right after Cesia was kidnapped and won't follow the actual plot of the series...

I must say, the ending of the series was bittersweet...but it's still my favorite manga series ever, I believe.

Thanks for reading!

FantasyStar