Dual Fan Fiction ❯ Interstellar Dual! ❯ Re-Attempts ( Chapter 3 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
Dual! Parallel Trouble Adventure and its characters are the property of Pioneer and whoever, not me. What’s not theirs in this story belongs to me.
Okay, okay! I’ll tell them, just shut up!
And the voices in my head.


Italics: thoughts.
Bold: emphasized
Underlined: info from the author, such as definitions, clarifications, and the Author’s Note. Characters do not speak underlined words.
<>: a mecha is speaking


Interstellar Dual!, Part 3: Re-Attempts
By Will Rogers (Xtor49)


Travis was feeling much better Wednesday the morning after the battle with the Marikesans. His body was still sore, but no more than he was used to after a hard workout. Kazuki and Mitsuki Sanada were very quiet this morning, even more so than the day before. Travis hadn't even heard Mitsuki yell at him.


"Kazuki, wake...!" she yelled, cut off.


Hmmm...guess they're just a little slow today, Travis figured. A knock on his door came as he stretched himself fully awake. He opened the door, "Good morning, Dee."


"Good morning, Travis! Are you feeling better?" the green-haired girl was her usual chipper self.


"Yes, I am. Thank you. How are you today?" Travis told her.


"I'm great! Kazuki was playing a funny joke on Mitsuki!" she giggled.


Travis raised an eyebrow.


"He pretended to be asleep. Then, when she came in and yelled, he sat up and kissed her. She looked so surprised!"


Travis had to chuckle, "I didn't know he had it in him."


As Travis came downstairs after his quick shower, everyone except Dee instantly started fussing over him. Akane got his food herself, Dr. Sanada pulled his chair out for him, and the looks on their faces almost made Travis puke.


"I'm fine! Really! I'm just a little sore! I'm not going to crack like an egg!" he protested.


"We're only worried about you, Travis!" Mitsuki replied angrily. Travis grabbed his backpack, "I realize that. But I can't stand being treated like a piece of glass." That said, he left without eating.


"Travis!" Mitsuki grabbed her stuff and went after him.


"I guess I should go, too. 'Bye!" Kazuki followed.


"Wait for me!" Dee called.


"Oh, dear, I hope he doesn't get hurt," Akane said.


"I think he'll be fine. He's obviously more independent than we realized. Besides, he didn't look to be in any pain. We should just let him alone for now," Dr. Sanada stated.


"When did you get so knowledgeable about people?" Akane queried.


"I think you and Reika have been rubbing off on me a bit," Dr. Sanada grinned.


* * *


After making a stop for some fast food, Travis got to school. Mitsuki, Kazuki, and Dee were outside, trying to get past the horde of girls. Shit! Just what I need right now! Travis thought, but went anyway.


"There he is!" a girl pointed. The girls nearly crushed Travis's three housemates, running towards him. They completely surrounded him, but stayed silent.
"Yes?" Travis asked.


"I...we...just wanted to say we're sorry. And that...we have agreed to not bother you like this anymore. We'll let you decide who you eat with. So...we're sorry," one girl spoke for the group.


"I...well, thank you. Believe me; I am sincerely flattered by all the attention you've given me. And, I forgive you all," Travis noticed that there was really was only about twenty girls around him. I guess it just seemed like more at the time, he assumed.


The girls left for class, leaving a very relieved Travis Ecks.


"Where were you?!" Mitsuki raged.


"I stopped for some breakfast. I needed to get away before I said something we'd all regret," he answered, and began walking past.


"I'm not through with you yet!" Miss Sanada declared.


"What? What more is there for you to say?" Travis turned toward her, obviously annoyed.


"Thank you, Travis. For getting Kazuki to choose who he wanted to be with," she replied.


"You told her?!" Travis glared at Kazuki.


"Not exactly. I figured it out when he accidentally mentioned your name," Mitsuki told him.


"You're not mad?" Travis questioned.


"Why would I be?" Mitsuki shrugged.


"I just figured you'd be mad that I butted in on your personal life," Travis responded.


"Well, I'm not," she smiled. Kazuki was looking around to make sure no one heard them talking.


* * *


At the Rara house, Ayuko met with her daughter's friends, Mina, Alice, and Ryla. "Remember what you did to the Yotsuga boy, bringing him to my former home? I want you to do the same thing, but bring Travis Ecks here instead," Ayuko told them.


"That boy Mitsuki was walking with yesterday morning? He's gorgeous!" Mina stated.


"I think she likes him, too," Alice added.


"We'll do it!" Ryla answered.


"Good girls. Make sure you do," Ayuko smiled evilly.


"But...she told us he knew about everything that happened from his world. Won't he suspect it as a trap?" Ryla asked.


"My sources tell me that he has become very popular with the girls at school. Don't use your names, and he will most likely fall for it," Ayuko explained.


"Okay. Consider it done!" Mina saluted.


As the trio left, Ayuko thought, I just hope that his robot doesn't destroy my house, like the Zinv.


* * *


At lunch, Travis hid on the roof to avoid the staring eyes of the girls. I feel like a circus freak, he had thought in the cafeteria. Besides, Naoya and Toshihiko were pissing him off with their requests. They seemed to think he could set them up with girlfriends, which he definitely could not.


Mitsuki Rara came up to the roof again, "Hi, Travis!"


"Hey, Mitsuki! What brings you up here again?" he greeted.


"I thought I had better make sure you were okay," she sat next to him.


Travis sighed, "Yes, I'm fine. I wish everyone wasn't so worried about it. I don't know what's worse; the pain I felt, or everyone's unnecessary concern."


"I'm sorry. I can leave," Mitsuki R. sounded hurt.


"No! I'm sorry, Mitsuki; I didn't mean it like that. I just meant that you don't need to fret about me," Travis told her.


She sat back down, looking better, "Did...did it hurt like that...when you got shot, protecting me?"


Travis nodded, "If not for my adrenaline, it would've probably hurt more. But, I'd do it again if I had to."


Mitsuki hugged him, "Thank you, Travis. I'll try to be more careful next time."


After school, Travis found a letter in his locker. Actually, he found five letters. Four of them were unsigned, proclaiming their devotion. The fifth requested to meet him behind the gym after school, and was signed, "Nanako."


Well, it could be worse. There could be more of them. They could all have asked me to meet them after school. They could be all at the same place. Boy, that would be really screwed up! he thought.


So, he went behind the gym. He saw a girl with brown hair facing away from him there. Whoa! Déjà vu! Why do I feel like this is a bad thing? "Nanako?" Travis checked. She turned around, and was wearing a gas mask. Oh, no. Ayuko wouldn't- his thought was stopped as the girl Alice sprayed him with knockout gas.


Travis awoke in a bed, in a fancy room, with a big mirror. He was naked, and Mitsuki Rara lay asleep under the covers next to him. "Fuck!" Travis mouthed, She did. He took his pillow and removed the pillowcase. Next, he ripped holes in the bottom, and put it on like a pair of boxers. He also made a belt from the extra material of the pillowcase. Thus clad, he went to the mirror.


"Ayuko, I would like my clothes back now. I would also like to be let out of here!" he ordered to the mirror, trying not to talk too loudly. He didn't want to wake Mitsuki, if he could help it.


Unfortunately, she did awake, "Travis? Why are you wearing a pink pillowcase?"


"Hi, Mitsuki. Remember when your mother put you and Kazuki in a room together, naked? She's trying it again, with me instead of him. Ayuko, I want my stuff now!" he pounded on the mirror. Mitsuki was blushing profusely.


"Damn! Why can't there be a chair or something in here?" he cussed, "I'd break the damn mirror."


"Arrgh! He would have to be too proper to do anything with her, wouldn't he?! Just like that Kazuki brat!" Ayuko held her head in anger.


"Ayuko, why are you trying this again? It didn't work before, and Travis would know about it. Why would he do anything with you watching?" Dr. Rara questioned.


"So, you're saying it's my fault?!" Ayuko focused her rage on her husband.


"Ayuko! Let me out!" Travis yelled again.


Ayuko grabbed the microphone, "Why can't you just fuck her?!" Mitsuki blushed even deeper.


Travis crossed his arms, "Because I hate being manipulated! That's why! And I'm too fucking pissed off at the moment!" Although he couldn't see it, Travis could feel Ayuko's wicked grin.


"So, you are saying you would?" she insinuated. Travis's face turned red, but whether it was from fury or if he was blushing, no one could tell.


“If I'm not let out soon, I am going to summon Tatsuma. I doubt you would like to lose a second house," he threatened.


Within a few minutes, Travis was clothed and calling the Sanada's to tell them he was okay, and would be there shortly.


"Where have you been?!" Mitsuki S. demanded to know on the phone.


"Mrs. Rara's been showing me her hospitality," he told her, and left it at that. As he walked out the door, Mitsuki R. ran out after him, having put on some clothes.


"I...I want to apologize for my mother's actions. She..." Mitsuki found Travis's finger over her mouth.


"It's okay. Nothing bad really happened, although your mother certainly has a lack of imagination. She never should have tried this, especially after that time with Kazuki. But, it's okay," he told her, shrugging it off. Mitsuki blushed.


"What? Did I say som-" Travis began.


"No, no. It's just...would you have, if...if it wasn't a plot...would you have..." she turned away, her whole body red.


"Mitsuki, I...well, I...I'd have considered it more...if you were willing..." it was Travis's turn to look ashamed.


Miss Rara turned to look at him, "Really? You...you would have liked to?"


"What guy wouldn't, Mitsuki? You're beautiful. You're also smart, kind, and...well, you can be quite strong. I couldn't help but consider it," Travis admitted.


Mitsuki stared at him, like he was the greatest thing she had ever seen. It made him nervous, but urged him to request, "Mitsuki...could I kiss you?"


In reply, she closed her eyes and opened her lips. Travis gave her a fierce, passionate kiss, worthy of any romance film. When he tried to pull away, she held his head and kept on kissing him. Finally, she released him.


"I...I've been wanting you to do that...since your first day here," she confessed.


"That makes two of us," he smiled, "So...would you like to go to a restaurant this weekend?"


"Yes!" she chirped, excited.


"Okay. Saturday, for lunch?" he suggested. Mitsuki nodded, ecstatic. "Great! I'll see you later, Mitsuki!" Travis held her hand, and ran off.


* * *


When Travis got back, Dr. Sanada dropped a bombshell of a piece of information. "The Marikesans contacted the lab today. They said they would return to Earth for a rematch on Saturday, at noon."


"Sonofabitch! Why Saturday?! I'm gonna fucking kill 'em all!" Travis exclaimed.


"Wh-what's the problem, Travis?" Kazuki asked.


"Oh, nothing. I just arranged a date between Miss Rara and myself for that very time," Travis sat in the living room.


"You did?! That's wonderful!" Dee cried out.


"Well, it would've been. Now, we'll have to reschedule. It's a little hard to defend the planet and eat lunch," Travis sighed.


"Why don't you just eat earlier? Order your food at ten, and you'll be done in time," Akane suggested.


"Guess I'll have to. I hate fighting on a full stomach, though," Travis replied, "Thanks for the tip."


"You're welcome. But, if you still don't like it, why don't you eat together Friday night? That would work," Akane advised.


"That does sound more pleasant. Thanks, Akane. I'll just have to reschedule it tomorrow," Travis noted.


"Well, I'm glad you two are together. Mitsuki needs someone to give affection to; that's just how she is," Kazuki told him.


Dee giggled, "I bet a lot of girls at school won't be too happy about it."


"You've got that right, Dee. They won't stop dreaming, though. Anyway, Travis, what took you so long to ask her out?" Mitsuki S. wondered, "I mean, I've noticed the way you look at her. You always have a smile to your eyes, if not your lips. You've been attracted to her since you got here."


"Well, I...I wasn't sure...she loved Kazuki, and I didn't think I'd be here long, and...hell, I was nervous. I didn't think she liked me in that way. But, I...she let me kiss her, and..." Travis was cut off.


"You kissed?! Oh, that's great!" Dee cheered.


Travis chuckled, loosened up by the younger girl's antics, "Yeah, we kissed. More than I expected, really. And, then, I knew if I didn't ask her, I'd hate myself. So, I did."


"Ohhhhh," Dee sounded like she had just seen it.


"You treat her right, Travis. Got it?" Mitsuki S. commanded.


"Yes, ma'am. Although, I thought you hated her?" Travis checked.


"Not anymore. The incentive is gone," she hugged Kazuki. Travis laughed.


* * *


"So, how was your date last night?" Mitsuki S. questioned her 'cousin' as they put on their pilot's uniforms.


"It was great. We ate at that fancy French restaurant, where they had a dance floor. I never expected Travis to be able to dance! He was so...so...oh, I can't think of the word," Mitsuki R. answered.


"Sexy?" Miss Sanada suggested, grinning, causing her counterpart to blush.


"Yes. He was that, in a very nice suit. But, you know, he didn't seem that different. It was like...like he wasn't trying to impress me with the way he acted. He seemed himself. Oh, but I recommend you and Kazuki go out! You'll have a great time, I'm sure!" Miss Rara told her.


"Well, if he ever gets around to asking, we will. We've kind of been on dates before...back in our world, we were supposed to be eloped. I had a lot of fun with him then. It was like a date, but...I'd like a real one," Mitsuki S. sighed.


Meanwhile, in the boys’ locker room at the base, Kazuki and Travis were talking. "Kazuki, why haven't you ever asked Miss Sanada out? I mean, you love her, she loves you, but I know she wants to. It's not like you're related or anything, to hide from public. I can understand hiding at school, but a date couldn't hurt," Travis went on.


"Yeah, you're right, Travis. I should ask Mitsuki out. Maybe we could go out tomorrow! Like before, when we were supposed to be eloped! That...that was one of the best days of my life. And, yet, unhappy, 'cause I couldn't see my parents," Kazuki remembered.


"Hey, cheer up! Or, better yet, get pissed off. If those Marikesans have their way, you and Mitsuki won't be able to see each other again!" Travis reminded. A look of fear crossed the Japanese boy's face. Suddenly, a fire burned in Kazuki's eyes, one that made Travis happy. The fire was of Kazuki's determination to win, to protect his love, and of his anger to those that stood in his way.


"Yes! Now, that is the look of a man who won't be stopped! Let that feeling consume you! And you will be stronger for it!" Travis urged him on.


"There's no way I'm letting those aliens separate us! I love her too much for that!" Kazuki declared.


Ah, if only Mitsuki could see him now. He looks... well, older, more mature. If he keeps this fighting spirit, we can't lose! Travis thought.


"Let's go, Kazuki! Let's show what happens to those that mess with the human race!" Travis led Kazuki along to the docking bay. The girls were waiting there, except Yayoi.


Kazuki didn't notice; he just got right into Zinv. "Where's Ms. Schwael?" the American queried.


"She said she won't be coming. I think...she's upset about Kazuki. I mean, she hasn't come over since she found out," Mitsuki S. answered.


"Hey, Dr. Sanada! Could you call Reika, get her to talk some sense into her granddaughter?" Travis spoke into his helmet microphone.


"Already been done, my boy. I don't know how successful she'll be, though," Dr. Sanada replied, "It's too bad the Marikesans had to take all real proof of their existence with them, last time they were here. Otherwise, we'd have a little help. As it is, we did get funding to help us excavate an artifact ship we found! We should have it here in a few days, once I go and get it running."


"You get it running?! I will be the one who makes that ancient craft work, you pompous lardass!" Dr. Rara could be heard in the background.


"Don't start arguing now, you two!" so could Kaoru Hayase.


Travis and the others got into their respective robots.


* * *


A short time later, at the same battlefield as before, Marikesan black troops fell from the sky. The basic unit had been dubbed 'Pawns', the upgraded models were 'Knights', the giants were 'Rooks', and the flying ships were 'Bogeys'. To start, there were about 100 Pawns, 200 Knights, 2 Rooks, and 200 Bogeys. There were also 2 of a new enemy, which Travis quickly dubbed a 'Bishop'.


The Bishops were twice the size of a Pawn, and had every joint painted white. The Bishops carried what looked like two black sticks, in human-sized proportions about two feet in length.


Houston, we have a problem, Travis thought.


"Okay, we need a plan. Now...Kazuki! Wait!" Travis hollered at Zinv's pilot, who was heading straight into battle. "Kazuki! Oh, hell. Okay, just take out what seems like the biggest threat," Travis said, and rushed at the Rooks. Kazuki was smashing through the Pawns like a harvester in a cornfield.


The Rooks targeted Tatsuma instantly, as he used his jets to sail over the army in his way. Before they could fire, Tatsuma was assaulted by both of the Bishops. These guys are fast! And they're designed for hand-to-hand combat! Travis realized as he fought them. Wherever their clubs struck, Travis felt like he was being bruised.


However, the Rooks fired their bazooka-weapons at Tatsuma. The Bishops ended up being in the way, and were blown to smithereens. Whoa! Guess those guns have to fire after charging up, he figured.

Quickly, while the slow-moving Rooks took aim at him again, Tatsuma flew down and started smashing them. Bogeys shot at the green robot, knocking him about. "Damn Bogeys! They don't hurt, but those blasts pack a punch!" Travis stood his robot up. The Rooks were also apparently very stupid, as they had lost track of their target. They fired their cannons at each other in confusion.


"O-kaaaaay. Chain Lightning!" Travis commanded. Tatsuma charged up a ball of electricity between his hands, and released it at a group of Bogeys. The Chain Lightning struck one of the black ships, and destroyed about thirty of those around it. Tatsuma then took off to the sky, using his chest laser and martial arts to wreck the squadron of ships. His jets, in truth, only allowed a minimal form of flight, but enough to steer him around in the air.


Zinv was withering any enemy he could get his hands on, grabbing them and causing them to collapse inward on themselves. As he held these victims in his hands, Zinv would use them as weapons to bash nearby Pawns and Knights. The Bogeys were only targeting Tatsuma, so Zinv had a much easier time of doing all this. CR1-3 were returning fire as best as they could, but were quickly running out of ammo.


"No offense to the girls, Doc, but we've got to get them some upgrades!" Travis told Dr. Sanada.


As the Marikesan forces dwindled, Travis made the girls go back to reload. As soon as they had gone, two more Bishops came from the sky. With them appeared to be exact duplicates of Zinv and Tatsuma, except that they were black.


"Kazuki...I think we may need to pull out the stops," Travis warned. "I think you're right," came the reply. Zinv raised his arm and fired the gravity shell. The Black Zinv did the same. The gravity shells collided, creating an explosion of enormous magnitude. In short, there was a very big boom.


"Shit! I'll try Boost!" Travis activated Tatsuma's primary ability. The Black Tatsuma seemed unable to match the green one's speed, but was getting help from the two Bishops. Dark Zinv got into a test of strength with the original, pushing each other's arms away. Tatsuma was getting badly beaten around by his three opponents, so much so that he had to shut off the Boost.


I'd better save this for when I can use it! Travis gritted his teeth against the pain he felt. "Tatsuma, I need you to take all power from the chest beam, and put it in the Chain Lightning!" he ordered. The green robot did so, losing its ability to fire the main distance weapon.


Tatsuma used the Chain Lightning attack to electrocute all three of his attackers. The Bishops dropped their clubs and exploded. The Dark Tatsuma moved as if he was dizzy with a hangover. The green Tatsuma then proceeded to "Pound the living fucking shit out of that impostor!" He knocked his twin into the Dark Zinv, forcing them both to the ground. Zinv took this chance to lay a flurry of blows upon his look-alike. Tatsuma picked up the black one, and sucked the energy right out of him. All systems were restored, including the chest beam and Chain Lightning.


In fact, Tatsuma was overloading. "Kazuki, move!" Travis yelled. Zinv backed away from the Dark Zinv. Tatsuma fired a massive beam from his chest, releasing all the extra energy into one gigantic force of energy. A crater was all that was left of the Dark Zinv.


"Travis! How'd you do that?!" Kazuki questioned.


"For some reason, I was able to drain the Black Tatsuma of his remaining power. The overload forced me to discharge it all in one attack. In fact, the chest beam is overheating right now! Ow!" Travis answered.


* * *


The Marikesans again sent a message of defeat. This time, it was in Japanese, and came after everyone had returned to the lab. The only important part of the message was, "We shall return, but we shall take longer to return. We must replenish our armies even more! And when we return, by interstellar law, we get to choose the place of combat! And we choose...Mars! If you do not arrive on Mars when we return, we may attack you as we see fit!"


"Do they always talk like such idiots?" Dr. Sanada asked.


"Yeah, pretty much. I'm not even sure if it isn't just one guy. But, if we're supposed to fight them on Mars...how do we get there?" Travis queried.


"The artifact ship will help us determine that. As for those upgrades you suggested, the ship already has the technology we need for just that. Drs. Rara and Sanada will be leaving tomorrow to go get it. I'll be the one supervising the base while they're gone," Kaoru answered.


"Did Yayoi ever come?" Kazuki queried.


"No. She didn't. Reika couldn't convince her in time. We already sent word that the battle has ended, and Yayoi was still there," Dr. Sanada replied.


"It shouldn't matter much soon, anyway! The artifact ship will more than make up for a robot without a pilot. Besides, we could always get another pilot. There are plenty around," Dr. Rara told them.


"Father, Yayoi is our friend! You can't just replace that! And none of your 'replacements' would have the combat experience she does! I'm worried about her!" Mitsuki R. declared.


* * *


Travis, Kazuki, both Mitsukis, and Dee went over to Yayoi's house. Since it was right next door to the Sanada home, it was on their way back. Dee rang the doorbell, and Reika answered it. "Well, come in. I'm afraid my granddaughter isn't feeling like company right now, but I think she needs it," the old woman stepped aside for them to enter.


Yayoi was in her living room, covered by a thin blanket, watching TV. "Good evening, Ms. Schwael," Travis bowed.


Yayoi looked over at them, surprised. She looked tired, and she looked like she had been crying quite a bit recently. Everyone exchanged greetings.


"What are you all doing here?" Yayoi wondered, nicely.


"When you didn't come to the battle, we thought we should check on you," Mitsuki R. answered.


"I...I just didn't feel like fighting anymore. I don't care," Yayoi's head fell heavily.


"As much as I hate to be rude...cut the crap!" Travis proclaimed. Everyone stared at him in shock. "We all know the reason you didn't come was because you're pouting like a child! You're pouting, 'cause Kazuki didn't choose you as his girlfriend. Fine, grow up and get on with your life! Hell, I don't think you even loved him that way!"


"How can you say that?! I do too love Kazuki!" Yayoi stood up, the blanket falling off of her. She was wearing a white satin bra and panties.


Travis didn't even seem to notice, "You have a crush, and you know it! You might love him as a friend or family, but you aren't in love with him, and never were. You felt you should be enamored with him after he saved your life, and so that's what happened. You were trying to live a fairy tale life!"


Yayoi slapped him, "How dare you?! You have no idea what I'm going through!"


"Please! All you are going through is just because you feel sorry for yourself, and you want to feel sorry for yourself! You want to be a victim! You feel like your life is over because you want to feel that! You don't want to accept that Kazuki never could have been yours! You don't want to accept a world that doesn't shape itself to your desires! You are acting like a little girl who didn't get her way, only worse! You want to keep pouting, and ruin your life even more than you think it already is!" Travis yelled.


Everyone stood there, quietly, for a few moments.


"He's right, Yayoi," Reika noted.


Yayoi sat back down and cried, "I know he is! I just don't want him to be!"


Travis calmed down, his 'aura' of anger becoming one of gentleness. Kazuki looked like he felt he should do something, but had no idea of what he should do. Dee sat next to Yayoi, concerned. Mitsuki Rara was still staring at Travis, now with a look of caring. Miss Sanada thought, Why didn't he strike her back?


"I'm sorry, everyone. I just...I couldn't go and see Kazuki's face again. It was hard enough at the Academy. I couldn't stand all the feelings it brought up inside me. I HATED you, Travis, and you, Mitsuki S., for taking him away from me. But, I didn't want to hate you. And, I worried that...if I fought, I might shoot one of you," Yayoi wept.


Shit! Now I feel like a heel! Travis scratched his head.


“But, you were absolutely right, Travis. I blamed you and Mitsuki S., because I didn't want to blame myself. I couldn't admit that Kazuki was never mine, no matter how much I wanted him. I...I let you all down," Yayoi explained.


"No, Yayoi. Staying away, under the circumstances, was the right thing to do. Your thoughts and feelings were wrong, but you did better to not risk our lives. And, now that you know and no longer deny the truth, you can heal. I'd recommend taking a vacation from the school. Don't feel guilty, just take a break. We want you to get better, because you're our friend." Travis told her.


"Thank you, Travis. I think I will take a leave of absence. When I come back, I'll be ready to fight," Yayoi smiled lightly.


* * *


The artifact ship was brought back to Japan after about a week. Dr. Sanada and Dr. Rara continuously argued over what to name it, until Dee did it for them. She named it Skylight, which was the first decent name that had been suggested, and Kaoru made the Doctors accept it. The Skylight was about twice the size of the ship used by Dr. Sanada's group against the Rara army, but looked about the same.


"This one seems far more advanced than its predecessor: it has technologies for better laser rifles (which don't need reloading; just recharging), better armor, better response time, and even space combat modifications!" Dr. Rara was very excited.


"If only I could figure out what this machine does..." Dr. Sanada was holding his chin as he looked at a photograph of a large chamber. "It has to do with the mecha, but I don't know what!"


"Why don't we just try it?" Mitsuki S. suggested.


"No! It...it could destroy whatever we put in there, including Zinv or Tatsuma!" her father responded.


"Well, maybe you guys'll figure it out later," Travis patted the Doctors on the back.


Core Robots 1 through 4 were given the upgrades from the Skylight. Even Zinv got a jetpack for space combat, for when he wasn't using his light hawk wings.


Tatsuma felt sad to Travis, so he talked with the green robot, "Hey, pal. Ya know, upgrades aren't everything. So you aren't getting an upgrade. That just means you didn't need one, right? You are great just the way you are!" Tatsuma was cheered up a little from this, but Travis could still feel sadness from him.


"Well, you enjoy the break while you can; won't be long 'til we fight again. I'll talk later, Tatsuma. You better cheer up, or you'll make me sad, too," Travis made a false pout, then grinned and ran off.


* * *


That night, Travis had a strange dream. He was alone, surrounded by black nothingness. A voice came from all around him, "Travis Ecks...I am...that which gave... you...Tatsuma. You must...use the chamber..."


"What?! What chamber?" Travis exclaimed, looking all around.


"The one...aboard...what you call...Skylight...which you...do not know...its function. You...must use...the chamber. Tatsuma...and Zinv...must enter..." the voice told him.


"Why?! What does it do?!" Travis shouted.


"You must...use... the chamber..." the voice replied, and Travis woke up.


He put on some clothes and went to wake up Kazuki. Surprisingly, Kazuki was already awake. "Travis, why are you up?" he asked. "We need to go to the Skylight. Whatever gave me Tatsuma says that we need to enter that strange chamber, with the robots," Travis answered, "Why are you up?"


"I had a dream where Zinv wanted me to wake up. And I did," Kazuki explained.


"Then, I guess we had better go. I don't think Dr. Sanada will let us use the chamber tomorrow," Travis stated.


As they got outside, the two boys found that the Skylight was flying above them. "How did it get here?!" Kazuki cried out. A door opened on the ship, and a beam of light shined on them from it. They began to float up to the ship, much like the Marikesan's levitation ray for collecting fallen units. The door closed beneath them as they entered the ship. By this time, the Sanada family was outside to see what was happening.


"What are they doing?!" Mitsuki S. questioned.


"How did the Skylight get here? Did someone steal it?" Dr. Sanada wondered.


"I had overheard Kazuki and Travis talking. They're going to use the strange room," Dee told them.


"What?! They could all be disintegrated!" Dr. Sanada exclaimed.

"I think we should trust them, Ken. They wouldn't risk their lives needlessly," Akane replied.


Onboard the Skylight, Travis and Kazuki got into their respective artifact mecha and piloted them to the unknown chamber.


"I'll go first, Kazuki. If this IS a trap, I should be the one to lose my life," Travis said.


"Okay, Travis. If you insist," Kazuki kept Zinv away from the huge room's entrance. Tatsuma entered the room, and stood still in the center. The walls of the chamber began to glow with a yellow light and crackled with electricity. Streams of the light and electricity shot off from the wall and struck the green robot. Travis let out a long scream of torment as Tatsuma began to resemble the wall.


"Travis! Are you okay?!" Kazuki yelled in concern. After a few seconds, Travis lapsed into unconsciousness. About five minutes later, the room returned to normal. Zinv looked in the chamber. Standing there was obviously Tatsuma, but now his body shone like a high-quality dark emerald. Tatsuma walked out of the chamber as if dizzy.


"Are you okay, Travis?!" Kazuki moved Zinv over to help Tatsuma.


"Yes, I'm fine. Tatsuma says he is, too," Travis responded, catching his breath.


"Tatsuma says?" Kazuki checked.


"Yeah. He spoke into my mind, as clear as you are speaking to me now. I think that's part of what this room does," Travis told him, "Now, let me get out of the way for your turn. It shouldn't hurt for you as much as it did me."


Zinv walked in as Tatsuma walked out of the chamber. The same yellow light and electricity appeared and struck Zinv. About five minutes later, Zinv walked out dizzily. He now shone like well-polished silver.


Zinv greeted his pilot.


"Zinv! You can talk!" Kazuki exclaimed.


Zinv stated.


"Travis, what was the point of all this? I mean, hearing Zinv is awesome, but why did we do it?" Kazuki queried.


"That's just a side effect. The shine seems to be just a sign that we used the chamber. The real effect was a major power increase. I don't know about Zinv, but Tatsuma's faster, stronger, and is even harder to damage. I'm sure he can do more Chain Lightning attacks now, and his boost probably lasts longer," Travis explained.


"Travis! Kazuki! What did you do?!!" Dr. Sanada cried out. The Sanada family had gotten aboard the Skylight, and now stood at the feet of the shiny mecha.


"How'd you get up here?!" Travis questioned in amazement.


"The ship used that levitation ray on us just a few moments ago. Now, what did you two do?!" Mitsuki S. hollered.


"We used the Enhancement Chamber," Kazuki answered.


"The 'Enhancement Chamber'?! Is that what that thing is?!" Dr. Sanada pointed at the room.


"Well, that's what it did to Tatsuma and Zinv; it enhanced them. From the looks of things, Zinv doesn't even need the jetpack to fight in space anymore," Travis declared.


"How could you two risk your lives like that?!" Akane shouted.


"Well, we did take turns. I went first. I had a dream from the beings that gave me Tatsuma. It said that Zinv and Tatsuma had to use this place. Kazuki was awoken by Zinv, so we used it," Travis proclaimed.


"Well, let's get this thing back before we scare the neighbors," Akane ordered.


Authors Note: My apologies to anyone offended by my reuse of Ayuko's plan to get her daughter in bed with a guy. It just seemed to me like Ayuko would be stupid enough to try it again with Travis. I have tried to stay as close to the actual series as I could, while making certain changes. Obviously, I'm not very good at comedy, which I apologize for. As much as I would like to, I just don't think of many things that are funny to read about. In the next part of Interstellar Dual!, the battle with the Marikesans takes to Mars and outer space. You will read of the new power of Zinv and Tatsuma, and even the Core Robots use the Enhancement Chamber. Will the Marikesans have a new unit to combat the Earth forces? Find out in Interstellar Dual! Part 4