Dual Fan Fiction ❯ Interstellar Dual! ❯ Surrender ( Chapter 6 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
Dual! Parallel Trouble Adventure and its characters are the property of Pioneer and whoever, not me. The story and new characters are mine.
Mine, to do with as I like!

Italics: thoughts.
Bold: emphasized
<>: a mecha is speaking
Underlined: info from the author, such as definitions, clarifications, and the Author’s Note. Underlined text is not spoken by characters.

Interstellar Dual!, Part 6: Surrender
By Will Rogers(Xtor49)

Travis was in his room, working at his computer. His doorbell played 'Do, Re, Mi'. "Come in," he didn't look up from the screen.

The door slid open into the wall, and in walked Mitsuki Sanada. She held a tray of food, which she set down next to him, "I thought you might be hungry."

"Thank you. I am kinda hungry," Travis picked up the utensils and ate it without a glance at her or it.

Mitsuki stood there expectantly for a moment then took a seat on his couch, "Travis, can we talk?"

"Sure. What about?" he asked, still focused on the monitor.

"Travis, would you stop that and look at me already?! What is so important that you lock yourself up in your room away from everyone? Did you even notice that you haven't eaten since yesterday? Have you even slept?! You've got Rara all depressed; she thinks you might be avoiding her or something!" Mitsuki shouted.

Travis looked at his watch, "Huh. It has been that long, hasn't it?"

"Did you even hear anything else I said?! And you still haven't even looked at me yet!" she yelled.

Travis saved his file and kept going, "I heard you. But, this is more important. Tell Mitsuki I'm not doing this to avoid her, and ask her to be patient."

"What are you doing?!" Miss Sanada roared.

"I'm going over battle scenarios with the Marikesans, planning strategies and things. Your father and I are the only ones who seem to believe they're still going to attack. We have to be ready, for whatever they throw at us. You can bet their troops will get stronger; they always have. I'm trying to keep everyone alive," Travis told her.

"And what if they attack while you're doing this crap, huh?! You're so exhausted you're shaking!" she noticed, "Get some sleep, Travis! Your plans'll be no good if you're too tired to pilot Tatsuma!"

Travis didn't respond. "Are you listening?!" Mitsuki spun his chair around. Travis was asleep.

Figures. At least I talked some sense into him. Well, I shouldn't leave him like that, she started moving him to the bed, "You're heavier than you look!" After a bit of fighting with his unconscious form, Mitsuki Sanada finally got him on the mattress. After writing a brief note, she left him alone.

***

"Get plenty of sleep, take a bath, and be sure to go see your girlfriend. And eat! Forget the strategy stuff. You've done plenty as is. Besides, as the saying goes, 'No plan lasts longer than the first moment of battle', or something like that. Sakura said Tatsuma's also worried about you, but he hasn't wanted to tell you," Travis read Mitsuki Sanada's note out loud. He had been asleep for eleven hours, and his stomach was growling like a rabid dog.

She's right. What good will my plans be if I'm in no shape to implement them? I better be sure to thank her later...Tatsuma? he thought.

the mecha replied.

Don't be afraid to talk to me, pal. If something's wrong, let me know, whether I'll like to hear it or not. Okay? Travis told the green robot.

Tatsuma assured.

Thanks, pal, Travis started taking off his clothes so he could take a shower.

the artifact stated.

Tell Yuriko I was already planning to see Mitsuki shortly, Travis responded, turning on the water, Right after I clean up.

***

Travis walked to Miss Rara's room and pressed the doorbell button.

"Come in!" Mitsuki sounded cheerful. The door slid open, and Travis entered the room.

"I see Yuriko told you I was coming," he noticed her table was covered with freshly prepared food. The young woman was just taking off her apron and potholder gloves.

She blushed slightly, "Yes. I thought you would be hungry."

"I'm always hungry for your food, Mitsuki," Travis walked over and put his hands on her shoulders, "I'm sorry I haven't come seen you lately. I wasn't thinking straight."

"It's okay. Lt. Sanada explained it to me. I'm just glad you weren't...mad at me or anything," Mitsuki said.

"I have nothing to be mad at you for. And even if I did, I wouldn't try to hurt you by staying away. I love you, and I never want to hurt you," Travis' stomach churned loudly as he finished his sentence. He laughed, and she giggled.

"Maybe we should eat now," she suggested.

"Mind if I have an appetizer first? Your lips look delectable," Travis requested.

Mitsuki Rara blushed again, "I wouldn't mind..."

***

Travis and Miss Rara were cleaning up the meal together after dinner Travis had insisted when a call came in from the bridge. "Lt. Rara, is Lt. Commander Ecks with you?" the man asked.

"What is it?" Travis wondered. "Lt. Commander, Captain Sanada requests your presence on the bridge right away," the man answered.

Travis sighed, "I'll be right there. Mitsuki, I'll be back as soon as I can." He gave her a quick peck on the lips.

"I love you!" the young woman called as he stepped out.

He turned back to face her just long enough to reply, "And I love you, Mitsuki Rara." That's only the second time she's ever said that. I think it's hard for her, or she's just not used to voicing her feelings. Her face and eyes do a good job of showing them. But...It's good to hear her say it.

***

Travis entered the bridge, where (Captain) Dr. Sanada was waiting, "Lt. Commander Ecks reporting as ordered."

"I see your sense of humor is fine," Akane was with her husband.

"Yes, well, this may put a little damper on it," Dr. Sanada said, "It would seem that the Marikesan ship is following us, staying just out of sensor range. The only reason we have any idea of their presence is they've brushed within range a few times now; just enough that we think something is there. Honestly, it could be a reoccurring minor glitch, but I don't think so."

"You're the only one, Ken," Mrs. Sanada retorted.

"No he's not. I've had a feeling they were closer than we thought, ready to attack at their leisure," Travis stated.

"When they attack, they will most likely think they have the element of surprise. But now that we suspect they are there, we will keep a closer eye out for them," Dr. Sanada declared.

"Captain...perhaps, instead of waiting for them to attack, we should hit them by surprise? I mean, they think we're out of sensor range, right? The last thing they would expect is to be attacked," Travis suggested.

"I don't know if that's a good idea. It is possible, if unlikely, that it's another ship, or that they are just trying to make sure we stay away from Earth. If that is the case, we would be entering into battle needlessly. I believe that it is the Marikesan ship, but I cannot risk a confrontation without being certain," the older man explained.

"I see your point. I wouldn't want an unnecessary battle either," Travis agreed.

"Anyhow, that's what I called you here to tell you. Since you've been out of touch lately, I think you should be the one to notify the others. Tell them to be on stand-by," Dr. Sanada finished.

"Yes, Doc...Captain. If that's all, I'll go tell them right now. Later," the young man left.

"I don't understand why you have the ranks still if you're going to be so informal to each other," Akane complained.

"The ranks are more for the rest of the crew. Besides, I like being called Captain," he smirked. Akane sighed.

***

On the Marikesan ship Tenapudoi, Lt. Commander Qulish was called into the Captain's office yet again, administering the M-Salute. "Lt. Commander, the Woreb has been assembled, has it not?" he asked.

"Yes, sir. All tests show it running at optimum ability," she answered.

"Excellent. I grow tired of waiting. Prepare the pilots for an assault on the human ship. They won't find our modified Ters as easy to destroy as the Bews. As I shall be piloting the Woreb, I leave you in command of my ship. Be sure to keep a channel open, that I might give orders through it. And tell the troops this: the green one is mine. I don't want any interference. Got that?" Captain Zurrelk commanded.

"Yes, Captain!" Qulish acknowledged. "Dismissed," he told her.

As she walked out, the female thought, Hopefully, one of them will die in this fight. Preferably Zurrelk. Even if he wins, at least this stupid vengeance crusade will be over. If I'm real lucky, he'll get transferred or something, and I'll get a better Captain and a new Commander.

***

"Captain, Marikesan Assault Mechs have been released from the main ship, and are headed straight for us!" the sensor officer proclaimed.

Dr. Sanada stood up out of his chair, "Give me shipwide communication!" Once it was ready, he ordered, "Finish preparations for Core Robot launch! Everyone to their appropriate battle stations! Pilots to the launch bay! Raise the shields and arm the laser cannons! This is it, folks! Our first battle off-planet! Let's make sure it's not our last! We don't have long before they get here, but if we hurry, we'll be ready for them!"

***

The Core Robot pilots all ran to their respective mechs, stopping only to put on their combat suits. Tatsuma was launched first, followed by Zinv and CR1 through CR6. The enemy was closing in fast, but were still out of weapons range. The Marikesan ship had drawn nearer to the Skylight, but only close enough to broadcast orders and use their scanners. The Skylight's weaponry could not reach the enemy spacecraft. Instead, the Skylight opened fire on the enemy units, while the human-piloted robots waited under their base. The oncoming black mechs were fast and agile, with quick communications, and only a slight few of the 500 units were struck down.

As the enemy fleet drew nearer, the Skylight managed to pick off a few more, but the Marikesan's proved their high marksmanship abilities by firing upon the energy cannons of the artifact ship. The power cells on their backs allowed them to fire large bursts of energy from their rifles. They combined their blasts to puncture temporary holes in the Skylight's force field, and disabled the turrets that fired at them.

"Looks like you're on your own now. These models seem to be internally powered, with the power packs on a separate system. Shooting the packs won't destroy the unit anymore," Dr. Sanada's told the human pilots from the bridge.

"Fuck!" Travis cussed.

"What's the plan, Travis?" Mitsuki Sanada queried.

"Kazuki, use your gravity shells to clear me a path. Afterward, everyone just stay alive. Do it now, they're here!" Travis ordered.

As the gray mecha launched the blue orbs at the oncoming swarm, Tatsuma followed right behind them. The gravity shells annihilated anything that got in their way, which was a large number of black robots. As the first blast ran low of power, the next gravity shell would collide with it, absorbing its remaining energy, and continuing through the ebony army. Travis was surprised that the Marikesans didn't seem to notice Tatsuma behind the blasts.

"Travis, what are you going to do?!" Mitsuki Rara asked worriedly. But all she got back was loud static.

"He's too close to the gravity shell. It's disrupting communications," Dr. Sanada stated.

"He's going to use the Final Discharge!" Dee exclaimed.

"The what?!" Ryla wondered.

"That's the term I gave Tatsuma's greatest weapon, which he used on the last Marikesan vessel," Dr. Sanada clarified, "Catchy name, isn't it?" See part 4

"But...he went into a coma last time he used that!" Miss Rara protested. The Marikesan troops shot at the human forces, ending the conversation.

That was because Tatsuma got caught between the shockwave and the planet, incinerating his armor. This time, Tatsuma should only be pushed around a little by the explosion, Dr. Sanada thought.

***

Before Travis was all the way past the black robots, the gravity shells died out. He was surprised again, as they still ignored him. Tatsuma noticed.

"And that's why," Travis saw a Marikesan mecha that looked different from the rest. This one was a little larger than Zinv, and its body reminded Travis of an Olympic weightlifter. It held two swords, which had an outline of white light. "That light on the blades...that's some kind of dense energy. Those things'll cut like a razor!" the American declared.

"At last, green one," came the voice of the black suit's pilot, "We meet. I am Captain Zurrelk, of the Marikesan Battle Carrier Tenapudoi. You...you killed my brother, a High Marikesan, and as such you must die! Let's see if your green robot can stand up to my Woreb!"

"My name's Travis Ecks, Lt. Commander of the Skylight, formerly part of the Planetary Defense Program of the planet Earth. And your brother tried to take over our world. Illegally, even, by the laws of your own people. Tatsuma is the name of this robot, and he and I have met every challenge put against us! Your 'Woreb' will be the same!" Travis activated Boost.

Zurrelk charged, moving with speed that matched Tatsuma's boosted state. He chopped both swords in a downwards motion towards the green mechs' shoulders. Tatsuma tried to catch them in his hands, but the blades chopped right through his arms.

"Ha! You thought to grasp plasma blades?! You idiot!" Zurrelk taunted, bringing his arms up for crossing slices through Tatsuma's chest.

"Light Hawk Wings!" Travis ordered. The white lights sprang from Tatsuma's back, and his arms repaired instantly. The sudden rush of power knocked the Woreb hurtling backwards. Tatsuma's hands glowed with white energy, and were now protected from the plasma blades.

He rushed forward and clutched the sword-like weapons. Using them for leverage, Tatsuma made a fierce two-legged kick to the Woreb's midsection. The black mech released the plasma blades from the shock of the blow. It continued traveling backwards. As Tatsuma moved his palms to the handles of the plasma blades, laser weapons fired upon him from the Woreb's shoulders and chest.

"Argh!" Travis yelled angrily, "That hurt, f---er!" The lasers kept firing, but Tatsuma dodged the first set and flung the plasma blades at the black robot. Instinctively, Zurrelk tried to block them with his hands. The blades cut through the Woreb's hands and pierced the shoulder lasers. Tatsuma then shot a Chain Lightning right at the chest laser, shorting it out. The Chain Lightning overloaded more than the enemy's chest beam, even distorting controls. "Now who's the idiot?!" Travis mocked.

Zurrelk let out a fit of maniacal laughter, "Still you!"

The Woreb's self-destruct mechanism went off. This was no minor explosion, but a great detonation of energy. Tatsuma tried to flee, but it engulfed him entirely. Inside his cockpit aboard the Tenapudoi, Captain Zurrelk continued to cackle triumphantly. As the energy blast faded, Tatsuma was missing all armor on his backside where he had been struck.

"What?! It wasn't atomized?!" Zurrelk exclaimed. Tatsuma didn't move, but his Light Hawk Wings slowly reformed, bit by bit.

Idiot. That thing survived the shockwave of your brother's ship. What made you think it wouldn't survive that blast? Lt. Commander Quilish thought.

"Is the green robot within weapons range?!" Zurrelk questioned.

"Yes, sir!" came the reply from the bridge.

"Then fire, you morons! Destroy it!" the captain replied ferociously.

As the Marikesan Battle Carrier sighted in, Tatsuma's Light Hawk Wings fully reformed. His armor regenerated, and he barely turned in time to see the oncoming energy beams. One struck the green mecha, knocking him back reeling. Travis barely regained his senses in time to avoid further shots.

"Lt. Commander, it's too fast! Our lasers can't keep up with it! The green robot is coming this way!" Quilish was told.

Captain Zurrelk entered the bridge, still in his pilot's suit, "Lock on all missiles and shoot that kidun thing!"

"Locked on, firing," the weapons officer stated.

"Detonate the missiles as they get to him! He won't dodge them that way!" Zurrelk ordered.

On the viewscreen, they could see the missiles heading for Tatsuma. The green mecha stopped and unleashed a Chain Lightning. The missiles were all so clustered together that Tatsuma's attack shorted out most of them. Those shorted out then blew up, getting a few more missiles. The remaining projectiles he shot down with his chest beam.

"All missiles destroyed, sir!" the weapons officer said.

"Kidun!!" Zurrelk smashed his fist on the wall, "How's the fleet doing?"

"We've lost all but 136 units, sir, and losing more fast. Those gravity shells wiped out much of our troops, and the human's new rifles are penetrating our armor easily. The red, orange and yellow human robots have been disabled, and the purple one hasn't returned from taking them back to their ship," was the answer.

"So it's 136 to 3, and we're still losing?!" Zurrelk broke his hand hitting the wall this time, "Aaaarrrgggghhh!!"

"Marikesan Battle Carrier Tenapudoi," Travis' voice came over their communications, "This is Lt. Commander Travis Ecks, pilot of the green robot Tatsuma. Surrender now, or I shall be forced to obliterate your ship, and everyone on board. You have five minutes to comply."

"Never! I will never surrender to that human! Fire the lasers again!" Zurrelk snarled.

"Belay that order!" Lt. Commander Quilish shouted.

"What?! You dare to go against me, a High Marikesan?!" the captain yelled.

"You're not the only High Marikesan on board, Captain. Two of our pilots are children of some of the most powerful of High Marikesans," Quilish retorted, "I won't be punished, not for saving so many lives from a madman like you!"

"Arrest him, and recall the fleet. I wish to talk with the green robot's pilot myself," she commanded. The security and weapons officers took Zurrelk away.

"This is Lt. Commander Quilish, aboard the Tenapudoi. Captain Zurrelk has just been relieved of duty. We are withdrawing our attack, and are surrendering."

"...Lt. Commander Quilish, I'm assuming you are in command now?" Travis checked.

"That is correct," she verified.

"Then I ask that you come over to the Skylight, our ship, to discuss terms of your surrender. Bring Captain Zurrelk with you, and no more than four others. No weapons," Travis told her.

"Of course. We shall be there as soon as we are ready," Quilish replied.

***

"Well done, Travis!" Dr. Sanada congratulated him upon his return to the Skylight.

"I never actually expected them to surrender. I just thought I should give them the option," Travis admitted.

"Well, I'm glad they did," Dee chimed in.

"Me, too, Dee. I really didn't want to have to kill so many people," Travis admitted.

"Dad, what are we going to do about their surrender?" Mitsuki Sanada wondered.

"Oh...Hmm...Well, I'll let Travis handle all of that!" Dr. Sanada patted him on the back.

"Great way to avoid the problem yourself, Dad" his daughter mumbled.

"Thanks a lot," Travis responded sarcastically.

"Don't mention it," the captain grinned.

"The Marikesans have arrived," Kauro informed them.

"Have them brought to the counsel room," Travis ordered.

***

Lt. Commander Quilish entered the counsel room a little later, followed by Captain Zurrelk and four others. Zurrelk had his hands shackled behind him and a collar around his throat. Two of the others looked human, and stayed with the captain as guards. The other two looked more like the captain; paper-white skin, four fingers, bald head, and black eyes. One was male, the other female. The ones that looked more human all had black eyes and hair. Travis was in the council room with four armed guards. Two guards stood at the entrance, and the other two stood behind Travis a couple yards away.

Travis stood as they entered, "Welcome. I am Lt. Commander Ecks." Captain Zurrelk tried to say something, but his collar seemed to be some sort of silencing device.

"I think the captain is surprised at your age," the female white-skinned one noted.

"I think he's more pissed off at his age," the male retorted.

Quilish herself was surprised, "Uh...(clears throat) Lt. Commander Ecks, I am Lt. Commander Quilish. These are our two best pilots, High Marikesans Lt. Esda and Lt. Seoutae." Esda was the male, and Seoutae was the female.

"Nice to meet you. I'm going to guess that the captain there is a High Marikesan as well?" Travis checked.

"That's correct," Quilish confirmed.

"Okay, then. Have a seat, and we can begin," Travis sat down. So did the Marikasans, except for Zurrelk and his guards; they all stood up on the opposite side of the room from Travis.

"First off, what is going to happen to your captain?" Travis asked.

Quilish began, "He will be tried for misuse of military property, needless endangerment of his cr-"

Seoutae interrupted her, "Excuse me, sir. The captain will be executed."

"Knowing my dad, probably as painfully as possible," Esda added.

Travis raised an eyebrow, "Your dad?"

"Their parents are powerful members of our government. Part of why I was finally able to relieve Captain Zurrelk of command," Quilish explained.

"Ah. Well, then, I guess that settles that issue. The next one is, can you assure us that we won't be attacked by any more Marikesan vessels, especially yours?" Travis queried.

"As long as I'm in command, the Tenapudoi won't attack you," Quilish stated.

"We'll talk to our parents, get them to issue orders for all Marikesan ships to leave you alone. Unless you attack us or something, of course," Esda assured.

"Excellent. Uh...now, we need a message withdrawing your threat towards our home planet. We would like to return some day, after all," Travis told them.

"That is easily arranged," Quilish said.

Yes! Travis thought, "Great. That just leaves star charts. We want copies of all data on planets and solar systems you have."

"Certainly," Quilish agreed, We just have to edit any top secret information out, but he doesn't need to know that.

"Well, then...I guess that's it. I do have your word on this, right?" Travis asked.

"Our word?" Quilish was confused.

"On your honor. You know, swear, promise? You aren't lying to us?" Travis clarified.

"Oh. That my translator understands. Yes, I promise," Quilish affirmed.

"Great. Well, then, I'll let you get back to your ship, and make the arrangements," Travis responded. Quilish, Esda, and Seoutae stood up and performed the M-Salute.

"Um..." the human was puzzled.

"This is our form of salute," Quilish enlightened.

"Ah. Well, this is Earths," Travis stood and saluted them. They all put their hands down. The Marikesans walked out, and Travis followed them to their shuttle.

***

Travis met the other pilots and Dr. Sanada in the conference room yes, it is different from the council room after seeing the Marikesans off.

"How did it go?" Mina was the first to ask.

"Practically too well. Lt. Commander Quilish is nothing like Captain Zurrelk. Highly reasonable. I got the feeling she, and the others, never really liked Zurrelk much. I doubt they'll try anything, but that doesn't mean we shouldn't be careful," Travis answered.

"Of course. So, they are going to withdraw the threat to Earth so we can go back?" Dr. Sanada checked. Travis nodded, and told them what all had been agreed on.

"Well, then...I guess the question is: do we go back right away? Or are we going to explore outer space for a while?" the captain looked at everyone.

"I think we'd all like to go back to Earth for a little bit, Dad," Mitsuki Sanada replied. Everyone concurred.

"I think there's another question to ask, of the whole crew. Who wants to leave the Skylight, and stay on Earth?" Kazuki wondered.

"Quite right, my boy. But, let's ask the answer to that one after we've returned," the doctor suggested, "Well, I guess that's it. Let's all just relax and enjoy ourselves for now. Dismissed."

***

Travis found that his body was very tense when he got back to his room, especially his back. Probably from Tatsuma getting hit by the Woreb's self-destruct. F---, that hurt! Like being skinned alive, he started trying to rub his back, groaning. His doorbell chimed. "Come in," he called.

In came Mitsuki Rara, "...You had me worried. I thought you would go into a coma again."

I did, for a bit, when I was hit by that explosion, "I'm sorry I worried you. It wouldn't have turned out that way again, if I had used the Final Discharge, though. I didn't have much of a choice, really. I mean, they took out Zinv before they surrendered. The Final Discharge was our only chance to survive," he reminded her.

"I know. I still don't like it...Are you sure you're okay? I heard you before I came in. You sounded hurt," Miss Rara checked.

"Yeah, it's just tension. My muscles are a bit of a mess. I was trying to work it out a bit," Travis explained.

"Oh. Well...I can fix that. Take off your shirt, and lie on your stomach," Mitsuki told him.

Travis did so, She never would've said that before. I love how she's growing up. Travis moaned happily as her hands kneaded the tension out of his back, "You're good at this."

"Thank you," she blushed.

Still has trouble taking a compliment, though, he noticed.

"I wish you would've told me about this. Your muscles are so tense, they're ready to snap," Miss Rara complained, "Promise me you will next time."

"Mmm...definitely," he smiled. After a while, Travis became so relaxed he fell asleep. When she noticed this, Mitsuki lay down next to him and closed her eyes.

Author's note: Are the Marikesans really no longer a threat to Earth and the Skylight? Will Earth really accept them back? Where will the Skylight go next? Find out, as Interstellar Dual! continues.