Dual Fan Fiction ❯ Interstellar Dual! ❯ Jintaro ( Chapter 8 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
Dual! Parallel Trouble Adventure and its characters are the property of Pioneer and whoever, not me. Interstellar Dual! initially created by Will Rogers (Xtor49).


Italics: thoughts.
Bold: emphasized
<>: a mecha is speaking
Underlined: info from the author, such as definitions, clarifications, and the Author’s Note. Underlined text is not spoken by characters.


Chapter 8 Jintaro
By Thorin Blauvelt


The two years of the Skylight's journey were coming to a close. The planet they had chosen, based upon the Marikesan star charts, was only a few weeks away. Mitsuki and Kazuki's anniversary was even closer, and Travis was busy preparing the celebration with everyone in the conference room, "Alright, we've only got a few days to set this up. This party is for the entire crew, so it's gonna be a lot of work. What plans do you all have?"


Dee, now 17 and a half, raised her hand excitedly, "Can we have a big dance?" Dee had seemingly retained her naiveté and child-like innocence, but had grown into a beautiful young woman.


Travis hesitated, a look of concern crossing his face for a second, but nodded, "Yeah, that's a great idea, Dee. Everyone likes a dance."


"How about a buffet? I'll help with the cooking," Mitsuki Rara suggested.


"Then it's a guaranteed hit, gorgeous," Travis praised. Miss Rara beamed, rather than blush.


"I'll help too," Mitsuki Yotsuga entered the room with her husband Kazuki.


“Oh, no you don't! You two aren't gonna do a thing except make each other sick of the other's company while everyone else handles this! It's YOUR anniversary, for goodness' sake!" Travis protested.

There once was a time that the young woman would've gotten angry, but Kazuki's laid-back attitude had rubbed off on her over time. Instead, she merely sighed. Too bad we couldn't have made it a surprise party. But there's no way we could've hid it from them, Travis thought.


"I could never get sick of you, Mitsuki," Kazuki hugged her from behind. The dark brown haired woman closed her eyes and smiled, enjoying the embrace.


"Alright, you two. Out!" Ryla pushed the married couple back out of the room.


"We need decorations!" Mina stated.


"We could have a karaoke machine!" Alice offered.


"Sounds good," Travis nodded, "Anything else? Okay, then. Alice, you get the karaoke machine. Mina, get some of the crew to help you with decorations. Ryla, collect some music for the dance. Mitsuki, start on that buffet idea. Dee, tell the crew what's going on. I'll be getting the dance set up in Cargo Bay 3," Travis assigned, "Let's go, everyone!"


They all left the conference room, except Dr. Sanada, Akane, and Travis. "How's the surprise for Kazuki coming?" the young man asked.


"The blowhard says that the boys are coming. The Holographic Transceiver is set up," Dr. Sanada answered, talking about Professor Rara.


"I'm surprised you agreed to the dance, Travis. You tend to be as protective of Dee as anyone," Akane remarked.


"She's growing up. If we try to keep her isolated from boys, things will only turn out badly. A dance is a good way for her to learn, and we can keep an eye on her. Besides, if any of them touch her inappropriately, they won’t live to regret it," Travis stated.


* * *


The day of the party came, and almost the entire crew showed up. The gigantic Cargo Bay managed to hold everything quite well. Ryla was acting as DJ, Mina and Alice were serving food and drinks at the buffet with Mitsuki Rara, Dee had a swarm of boys out to dance with her, and Travis was drinking some punch against the wall. Kazuki and Mitsuki Yotsuga entered the room finally.


"Wow! It's amazing!" Mitsuki Y. looked around at the bright colors and people.


"Kazuki, I believe there are a couple of guys who want to talk to you over that way," Travis pointed.


"Hey Kazuki, over here!!" a strangely familiar voice called out from that direction.


Kazuki looked to figure out who was calling him. "Isawa?! Shiozaki?! Is that really you?" Kazuki shouted out in astonishment, walking over.


"Well not quite. Actually Dr. Rara arranged for us to say hi by using this transceiver thingamajig," Isawa answered.


"But hey, at least we get to say hi and everything," Shiozaki added.


"That's true. I've missed you guys," Kazuki replied, "I'm glad Dr. Rara came up with this idea."


"Well actually, my boy, I didn't," Hiroshi Rara stated coming into view. "If you want to thank someone, find my daughter and her boyfriend. They are the ones that came up with the idea." Kazuki, Shiozaki, and Isawa started catching up on events over the past two years. Mitsuki Y. just smiled before going off on her own.


As the collection of testosterone around Dee was rising to somewhat dangerous levels, Travis stepped in, "May I have the next dance?"


"Sure Travis. I'd love to. See you guys later," Dee said, smiling at the disappointed group of guys. She took Travis's hand and they walked out to the dance area. Dee smiled as Travis started dancing with her, "Thank you, Travis. I was getting rather bored dodging all of their advances."


He chuckled. "What's so funny?" she wondered.


"It seems like we haven't been giving you enough credit. No one really wants to admit you're growing up, but you certainly are. Any of them interest you yet?" Travis queried.


"I'm not sure. There's so many right now, I can't get to know any of them at all," Dee sighed.


"Well, it seems like you've been having fun, and that's what matters at a party. Try to go easy on them, eh? You've got more power over those boys than you know," Travis requested.


"Thanks for the dance, Travis. And I think I know exactly how much power I've got over them," with that Dee went back to the crowd of boys and started to flirt, lightly encouraging some and quite a bit of playing one guy off of another.


Travis went to the buffet tables for a snack. "Like a duck to water, isn't she?" Mitsuki Rara said quietly to Travis.


"She sure is. I just hope the water doesn't get too hot for her," he took a bite of a rice ball.


"I don't think there's much chance of anything happening to her," she assured him.


"Why not? Even nice girls like Dee can get in a lot of trouble with boys," Travis remarked between mouthfuls.


"You may not have noticed, but when you walked over there, those boys got scared. Since the Skylight doesn't have a commander, you're second-in-command around here. They also know you're a martial artist. And since Dee's also the adopted daughter of the captain..." Mitsuki trailed off.


"They should know better than to do something stupid," Travis finished.


"None of them are real troublemakers anyway. So you can relax a little," Mitsuki stated.


"Relax, huh? Then would you care to dance, gorgeous?" he raised an eyebrow.


"I'm kind of busy, Travis..." she wanted to, he could tell.


"Go on, Mitsuki! We can handle this!" Mina encouraged.


"That's an order, Lieutenant," Travis replied firmly with a smile.


"Well, I guess I have to then..." Mitsuki grinned.


* * *


A couple weeks later: "Captain, our destination is within scanning range," the scanning officer declared.


"Excellent!" Dr. Sanada exclaimed.


"Maybe not, sir! Scans are detecting a large number of ships around the planet. The database has no information on them, but they do seem to be warships!" the scanning officer told him.


"Raise the shields! Get the pilots up here right away, and tell the crew to get to battle stations; we may have a situation," the captain commanded.


"All robot pilots, report to the bridge immediately! Everyone else, prepare battle stations! Possible threat ahead!" the communications officer spoke into her console.


The pilots all got to the bridge promptly. "Holy shit!" Travis saw on the gigantic monitor the fleet of warships, "That's a fuckin' army! A huge army!"


"Captain, they're targeting us! Weapons fire closing in!" the scanning officer warned as blasts of energy hit the protective force field around the ship.


"Our shields can't hold long, Captain! There's too many of them!" Ms. Hayase proclaimed.


The familiar alien voice pounded into Travis' mind, "You...cannot...survive... this...assault. You must...push that...button." An image appeared in his mind of a bright orange button under a transparent plastic casing. Travis spotted it on the engineer's console.


"Shields down! Hull taking damage!" Ms. Hayase shouted as the ship rocked.


"You must...push...," the voice repeated.


Travis ran over, lifted the casing, and slammed his hand down on the orange button.


"Not that one!" Dr. Sanada protested, but it was too late.


The entire ship rattled, and it felt as if the ship had somehow jumped. Everyone on the ship that was standing, including the pilots, was knocked to the ground by the ship's movement.


Travis groaned as he slowly came around. Slowly looking around, he held his head in pain. His eyes immediately sought out Mitsuki R. He found her quickly, by looking in his own arms. He gently shook her. "Mitsuki, can you hear me?" He shook her gently again.


Mitsuki slowly came around. "Travis? What happened?" she asked groggily.


"I'm not sure, Mitsuki, but I think it had to do with that button I pushed," Travis answered. He slowly got up and helped Mitsuki to her feet. They looked out the window of the cockpit of the Skylight.


To their amazement they saw...trees. Lots of trees. "Travis, what's going on here?"


Mitsuki clutched his arm.


"I don't know. Tatsuma, can you hear me? What happened?" Travis asked the air.


the green mecha answered.


"What the fuck is a fold-space jump?" Travis wondered.


Tatsuma clarified.


"Like when Kazuki was sucked out of Hartzinen into Zinv's cockpit?" the young man checked.


Tatsuma explained.


Kazuki suddenly cried out, clutching his head. Mitsuki Y. was next to him, concerned, "Kazuki, what is it?"


"Zinv. He...keeps shouting something... 'We're home'," Kazuki groaned.


"Tatsuma, tell Zinv to quiet down!" Travis yelled.


Kazuki's pain faded a moment later, "Thanks." Travis relayed to Tatsuma what Kazuki said.


the green robot responded.


"Okay. Tatsuma, what does Zinv mean by 'we're home'?" the American queried.


A few seconds later,


"Okay, everyone, here's what's happened. Those aliens that gave me Tatsuma told me to push that orange button. It caused a space-fold jump that has made us travel about ten light years to the planet Jintaro. The planet that Zinv and Dee come from," Travis stated.


"So that’s what that button does! We never could figure it out!" Dr. Ken Sanada commented, "I'm glad they had you push it. We were about to be destroyed!"


"Yes...you were," the alien voice entered Travis' mind.


"Excuse me a bit," Travis went into the captain's office, "Who are you guys?!"


"Some call...us...the Overseers. We...try to...keep balance...in the...universe," the voice enlightened, "And...the universe...is not...in...balance."


"What do you mean?" the young man queried. "That army...you saw...is...only a...small...part...of a... much...larger whole. They...are trying...to...take over...everything. We...would've...told you...to push...the button...anyway...for a...nother reason. There is...someone here...who you...know well...to help. Seek...him out...as you... would a...friend," the Overseers voice faded out, and they were gone.


Travis came back out of the office, and told the others of his conversation with the strange alien voice. "What do they mean, 'seek him out as you would a friend'?" Mina questioned.


"I've got an idea. I'll be taking Tatsuma out to try and find this guy," Travis made for the door.


"I'll go with you," Mitsuki Rara followed.


"Not this time, gorgeous. This is something I need to do alone. I might not be back for a few days," he protested.


She grabbed him and gave him a long, fierce kiss. Finally, she let him go, "I needed that to last until you got back. You better not get hurt out there."


"I'll be fine, don't worry. I'll have Tatsuma to protect me. And your love," he squeezed her hand gently before leaving.


* * *


Tatsuma asked.


"The Overseers said to seek this guy out as I would a friend. I had a friend back home, a few years younger, kinda like a kid brother. He stayed in the woods, so it was hard to find him. What I would do is bring him to me, by climbing the tallest hill and lighting a fire. Josh'd always show up before nightfall, but this place is a lot bigger. I hope he's okay back on Earth..." Travis answered.


Tatsuma told him.


"Yeah. Let's go," Travis had Tatsuma start running in that direction, while he thought about his life on his original world.


Tatsuma wondered.


"No. I love Mitsuki, and I'd miss having you around. And not 'cause you're a giant robot, either. But I feel kinda guilty leaving Josh. He was a tough kid, but didn't really have any other friends. I haven't even thought about him once since coming to this universe," Travis explained.


Suddenly, Travis screamed out in pain as Tatsuma was struck by weapons fire. He looked around and spotted a black mecha the same size as Tatsuma or Zinv. Its fists were a bright red. Two sword hilts could be seen behind the shoulders. Strange spheres were embedded in its chest, five rows of five. A pair of pistol-like guns were on its thighs. It was apparently an artifact mecha, like Zinv, only it had two eyes and wasn't much bulkier than Tatsuma.


"A Marikesan?!" Travis exclaimed. He tried to make contact with the other robot, "This is Lt. Commander Ecks of the Skylight. Cease this hostile action, I mean you-" The black mech fired at Tatsuma, energy beams coming out of the orbs on its chest. Tatsuma was hit and knocked backwards.


Using the jets on his body, Tatsuma kept himself from falling over. "Damn! Combined, those spheres pack quite a punch," Travis' chest hurt.


Tatsuma warned. Another burst came from the black mech's torso. The green robot dropped backwards to dodge, using his jets to spin to the side and stand back up. The ebony machine drew its pistols, now firing with them and the blast spheres. Tatsuma jumped up into the air and performed a diving kick to the other robot's head. The emerald automaton flipped off the other's head and slammed a foot square into its back. The dark robot reeled, but didn't lose its balance.


The black mech turned and strafed, firing more shots. Tatsuma easily outran the energy beams. Tatsuma said.


"Huh? You mean that mech has a consciousness? And a pilot inside?" Travis blinked as he drove the giant robot.


Tatsuma answered.


"That changes things a bit..." Travis saw a decent sized rock on the ground and cartwheeled to pick it up. As he got back on his feet, Tatsuma threw the rock, striking the black machine right between the eyes. It was stunned momentarily, like a person would have been after being hit like that.

"Now!" Travis used the brief disorientation of his opponent to run up to it and take the pistols out of its hands. He used his opponent's own weapons to damage the orbs on its main body, so they couldn't fire anymore.


Tatsuma noticed.
Travis threw the pistols off to the sides, "Tell him, 'Welcome to the club. Now suck it up'."


Shinigami picked the less bulky robot up slightly and pushed him away. Tatsuma again used his jets to stay upright. The black robot drew a sword, apparently made of some strange metal.


"If we can handle a plasma blade, this thing shouldn't be a problem," Travis put the green mech into a fighting stance. Shinigami didn't move for a few seconds, as if his pilot was unsure. He charged at the emerald automaton, but not in some sort of mad rush. Tatsuma repeatedly struck the flat of the blade to safely block it.


This guy's good. Real good. I'm completely on the defensive, using all of Tatsuma's speed just to keep from getting hit, Travis thought.


Suddenly, as Tatsuma made to block it once more, Shinigami turned the weapon so its edge sliced through the other mechs right hand. Travis cried out in pain. The dark machine chopped off Tatsuma's left arm below the elbow and decapitated him. "Light Hawk Wings!" Travis ordered as he held his head, which was pounding with a massive migraine.

The grayish-white energy wings sprouted from Tatsuma's back, the power surge sending Shinigami soaring backwards. Tatsuma regenerated completely, and the familiar glow formed over his hands. Shinigami stood back up, sword ready. "That does it!" Travis yelled.


Shinigami drew his second sword as the green robot moved toward him with greater speed than before. Tatsuma was too fast for the artifact robot, and knocked his weapons away. Tatsuma's arms planted an onslaught of punches into the ebony mech, his glowing fists leaving deep dents in his opponent's protective casing. He was sent hurtling back as Shinigami sprouted Light Hawk Wings of his own.

"What?! How?!" Travis protested as the black automaton was repaired, "Okay...How do you like this?!" Tatsuma moved his hands to his chest, palms facing each other, and a ball of electricity formed. He pushed his hands outward, "Chain Lightning!"


The ball of electricity shot forward and hit Shinigami hard. His body crackled with the energy, and he was obviously in pain. Travis was amazed as the black mecha lost its Light Hawk Wings and fell over. "Shit! It overloaded his systems better than I expected," Travis moved Tatsuma over to check on the dark machine. He sat him up, "Tatsuma, can you tell if he and his pilot are okay?"


<...He says we should just kill them already,> Tatsuma stated. Travis picked up all of Shinigami's weapons, dropping all but one of the swords. He held the weapon up as if to stab it into the black robot's cockpit, yet he stabbed it into the ground next to him instead.


Tatsuma declared.


"Tell him my name is Lt. Commander Travis Ecks of the Earth ship Skylight, and that I want to speak to his pilot face to face, both of us unarmed, to ask him a few questions. That's all," the young man responded.


<...The pilot has agreed. He is coming out now,> Tatsuma said. "Good," Travis put the emerald machine in a better position to exit from.


* * *


The two mechs let their pilots out on the ground minutes later. Travis couldn't see the other pilot's face through his faceplate on his helmet. This other pilot wore a uniform similar to the Skylight's pilots, only black, and he stood a little shorter than Travis.

He's got five fingers. He's not a High Marikesan, at least, Travis removed his headgear as they got close to each other.


The other pilot halted with a jerk back, "Travis? Is that really you?"


The American raised an eyebrow, "Do I know you?"


The other pilot practically tackled Travis with a bear hug, "I don't believe it! It is you! How did you find me?!"


Travis could tell this person was crying. "Who are you?" Travis asked. The strange pilot removed his helmet, revealing an 18 year old boy with light blonde hair and striking blue eyes. "Josh! What're you doing here?!" Travis exclaimed.


"I...I never thought I'd see another human being again! I...well, I found your bike lying on the ground a long time ago. When I tried to pick it up, I was suddenly here, on this strange planet! Some voice said, 'Survive, Josh Lands. Survive and prosper, until you are found and needed'. It talked really slow, pausing every couple of words. I haven't heard any voice but Shinigami's since," Josh proclaimed.


The Overseers... "You've been here for three years?! What the fuck were those assholes thinking?!" Travis cussed.


"Has it been three years? I lost track of time. Damn, it's good to see you! I'm sorry I attacked you," Josh apologized.


"That's okay. Shinigami, huh? That means 'God of Death', right? They gave that name to the greatest of warriors," Travis looked at the black robot.


"Yeah! What's he called?" Josh pointed at the green mecha, "He's really fast!"


"His name's Tatsuma. And you haven't seen him when he really gets going. The Overseers, that voice that talked to you, brought me to this universe and gave him to me. Damn, is that a gravity shell cannon?!" Travis saw the shape of Shinigami's right arm was just like Zinv's.


"Yeah. Hey, let me show you my place!" Josh offered.


"How about I show you something first?" Travis replied.


“What is it?" the younger man queried.


"You'll see," Travis grinned.


* * *


Tatsuma ran back towards the ship, going slower than usual so Shinigami could keep up. Not that the black robot was slow, but rather that Tatsuma was just faster. "Holy shit!" Josh cried out as he saw the artifact space transport.


"That's the Skylight, the ship I came here on with my friends," Travis stated.


"It looks like something out of Dual!" Josh remarked.


Travis chuckled, "You have no idea."


"What do you mean?" Josh was puzzled.


"Just wait. You'll understand soon enough," Travis guided Tatsuma through the open door to the mech storage room. Shinigami followed.


Mitsuki Rara had decided to wait for Travis there, so she could get in Yuriko right away if something happened. Dee had stayed there with her to keep her company, at least for the time being. Travis and Josh rode the elevators down to the ground. Mitsuki Rara ran immediately to Travis and firmly locked his lips to hers.


"You're early," she noted.


"I lucked out," Travis grinned.


They look kinda familiar...like I've seen them before, years ago...especially the green-haired girl...I may not have seen any girls in years, but I know they're both hot, Josh thought.


"Hi! I'm Dee!" the green-haired girl held out her hand to the younger American.


"Hi. I'm, uh..." he stopped.


Travis held back a laugh, "This is my old friend Josh Lands, from my world. Judging by your expression, I'd say you've now got some idea of who these two are, Josh."


"No way. Dammit, no! I'm dreaming! You aren't real! I'm still alone and now I'm going crazy! You can't be real!" Josh tried to run.


Travis ran after him, easily reaching him and grabbing his arm, "Josh, it's okay! They're real, Josh. I'm real. It might take some time to get used to it, but we're all real. You're not alone anymore, pal. You're not crazy. Do you believe me?" Travis' soothing words and voice calmed down the younger man.


Josh looked at Travis for a long moment then nodded, "Yes bro, I do…." At that, Josh collapsed.


Travis caught him, and carried him back to the others, "He's half-starved and tired. I wouldn't have stopped him so easily otherwise. That run drained what was left in him."


"Is he going to be alright?" Dee was quite worried.


"He just needs a rest and some food. I'll take him to sick bay and keep an eye on him," Travis walked off. Mitsuki R. and Dee went with him. Travis was a bit startled at how worried Dee was.


* * *


Josh awoke a couple hours later. He sat right up, "Where am I?!"


Travis put a hand on his shoulder, "Calm down, bro. You're on the Skylight, in medical."


"So, I wasn't dreaming. You really did find me," Josh smiled lightly.


"That's right. And this is really Dee Sanada and Mitsuki Rara from Dual!. Three years after the last episode," Travis gestured to the two young women.


Josh looked towards Dee feeling embarrassed, "I'm sorry I reacted like that."


"That's okay. Travis told us you've been alone for all this time. It must've been terrible," Dee's hand rested on Josh's comfortingly.


He smiled lightly again, "I'm just glad I'm not crazy." Josh looked towards Travis, "I see what you meant earlier. I never suspected that Dual! could be real."


In came Kazuki and Mitsuki Yotsuga. "Oh, great! What, we have to deal with another American now?" Mitsuki Y. complained.


"Just don't hit him. If you think I'm bad about it...Josh's reflexes were always a little too wound up; he'd break your arm before either of you knew what he was doing. And if he's got a weapon like a sword of staff..." Travis warned.


Josh scowled at Travis as she backed off slightly. "Never fear, graceful maiden; I will never harm you. You are too precious a flower to ever cause harm to," he then gently took her hand and kissed it.


Mitsuki Y. laughed elegantly, and whispered to Kazuki, "I hope you were taking notes just then." Kazuki looked a touch confused, but didn't say anything.


"Josh Lands, Lieutenants Kazuki and Mitsuki Yotsuga," Travis had to keep from laughing, as he had overheard Mitsuki's words.


Josh looked at Travis with surprise. "Yeah, they got married. A lot can happen in three years," the older American replied.


Just then, another couple came in. "Josh Lands, Captain slash Dr. Ken Sanada and Akane Sanada," Travis pointed to them.


"So, you're from the same universe as Travis, eh?" Ken started bombarding Josh with questions on Shinigami and other things.


"Daddy! Just leave poor Josh alone! He's still tired, and I'm sure he's hungry. Mitsuki and Mitsuki, could you two prepare a meal for our guest? Travis, Kazuki, would you keep Dad away from him, so he leaves him alone? Josh, would you please come with me?" Dee led Josh out of the room.


As the door closed, Travis bust out laughing.


"What happened?" Dr. Sanada was confused.


"You're not used to her reacting like that, are you, dear?" Akane smirked.


"Dee showed off her spirit for once. It's about damn time, too," Travis stated.


"It's been a little while since I made anything..." Mitsuki Y. muttered.


"There's no way anything you would make anything that wasn't delicious," Kazuki complemented, holding her from behind.


“I guess you were taking notes, dear,” Mitsuki commented.


"Kazuki, would you take the captain to see Shinigami? You can use Zinv to talk with him," Travis requested.


"What about you?" Ken wondered.


Travis stepped over to Mitsuki Rara, "I've got to spend some time with a special someone."


Akane gently moved her 'daughter' to the exit, "We'll get started on lunch."


"I think I should go help them," Mitsuki R. commented reluctantly.


"Go on, dear. Travis, just be sure not to keep her too long," Akane called back as she and Mitsuki Y. left.


"I promise," Travis nodded.


"Let's go, Kazuki! I can't wait to tell that pompous windbag that I have a new subject to study that he can't touch!" Dr. Sanada walked out. His words didn't have the feeling they once would have to them; Travis knew that Ken missed his rival greatly.


"So what did you have in mind?" Mitsuki R. queried.


"There's something in my room I want to show you. As I promised, it won't take long," he answered.


"Well, we should hurry, then," she smiled.


At Travis's room, he stopped her, "Wait right here and close your eyes." Mitsuki did so, a little puzzled. Travis opened a drawer in his desk and pulled a small object out. It was a tiny black box. He opened it, held Mitsuki's left hand, and spoke, "You can open your eyes now."


Mitsuki gasped as she saw what was in the box. It was a ring, 24 karat gold studded with diamonds all around, with two large heart-shaped rubies sticking up on either side of the biggest diamond. Travis got down on one knee, "Mitsuki Rara, I love you more than I ever thought I could love anyone. I want to spend the rest of my life with you. So, I humbly ask...will you do me the honor of marrying me?"


A small tear of joy slid slowly down her cheek as she barely managed to whisper, "Oh Travis, of course I will. I love you with all my heart."


He slid the ring onto her finger, clasped her fingers in his as he stood, and kissed her with all he had. Through his closed eyes, a single tear formed and traveled down the side of his face.


The ring was really expensive, but she's worth everything to me, he thought.


As the kiss broke off, all Mitsuki could think of to say was, "I should go help make lunch now."


Travis chuckled, "Not exactly the response I expected...go ahead. Be sure and make extra, for the crew, since I'm sure they'll want some, too," And Josh eats like he's starving every time. Mitsuki nodded and took off, eager to show her ring to the others.


* * *


Meanwhile, Dee was giving Josh a tour of the ship, "I'm really sorry about my Dad. He shouldn't act like that."


"It's okay. I kinda expected it," Josh assured her.


"How did you find Shinigami?" Dee asked Josh.


"Well, he was almost destroyed in the last battle here. The cockpit itself was fully intact. The alien voice led me to it and told me to get in. I was like, 'well since I know I'm nuts, what the hell who cares' and got in. I recognized the orbs and put my hands on them. I know this may sound strange but immediately the Light Hawk Wings appeared, and Shin was completely restored. It was exhilarating. I didn't care anymore if I was crazy or not. That feeling made it worth it even if I was nuts so I just started to live. I would either excavate ruins for sealed food or small weapons for hunting. I am very lucky. At the time I was transported here I was packed for a week's worth of woods time so I had a couple of knives as well as clothes and survival gear. I still could have survived without them but it would have been much harder," Josh said, pausing to take a drink of the juice Dee had gotten for him.


"It sounds like the past three years have been hard for you," Dee said, holding his free hand gently.


Josh looked at her hand holding his and blushed deeply, "It wasn't too bad. I'm used to living like that. Though having Shin did help a lot though. He did make life much easier because of all we found. Besides the several hand held weapons that I am now in possession of there are dozens more back at our home. I installed the grav-shell cannon on his arm, as well as the orbs on his chest. The orbs shoot out energy beams. I've got another grav-shell cannon at home; maybe someone could use it."

Dee was still holding his hand. Josh smiled and squeezed her hand gently, his blush fading. Dee also smiled and squeezed back.


Shinigami stated.


"Which robot do you pilot?" Josh asked Dee.


"Suzue, CR3. She says she likes the new black one," Dee answered.


"Shinigami likes her, too," Josh looked deep into her eyes, and found himself calming down. Dee stared back into his. To both of their surprise, their faces drew in closer and their lips met. After a minute, they broke off, smiling.


"Would you go out with me, Dee?" Josh requested.


"Yes, Josh, I would love to," Dee accepted.


"Great! There are some really beautiful spots on Jintaro. Even among the ruined cities. I want to show them to you," Josh said.


"It sounds wonderful. I don't really remember anything about Jintaro. It's a new place for me," Dee stated.


Travis was standing behind them, smirking, "You're getting along a little better than I expected."


Dee and Josh were startled, not knowing he had been there.


Travis laughed, "I was asked to find you two. Lunch is just about ready. I guarantee it'll be the best meal you've had in three years, if not your entire life, Josh."


"Sounds good, bro! I'm starving!" Josh's stomach growled as he stood.


"You're always starving!" Travis retorted, "But I'm hungry, too, and they won't let me eat until I get you two to the mess hall. So, come on." Travis ran on ahead, I'll leave them alone some more.


As they walked to the cafeteria, Dee queried, "Why do you call him, 'bro'? I thought you two weren't related."


"Well, we're blood brothers. See this scar?" Josh showed her his left hand, which had once had a deep cut down the middle horizontally. Dee nodded. "He's got one, too. We cut our hands and clasped them together, our blood entering each other's body. We've got the same blood, so we're blood brothers," Josh explained.


"I get it. You two wanted to symbolize that you were more than friends," Dee replied.


"I'm...kinda surprised you don't find it offensive," Josh admitted.


"I think the emotion behind it is more important. I think it's charming," Dee held his hand in her own.


Josh smiled slightly, "I'm glad."


Will’s Note: While Thor wrote this, it has been heavily edited and changed slightly by me, so it’s about 80% his. Josh Lands, Shinigami, and the powerful new enemy were created by Thorin. In the next chapter, Josh shows everyone where he has been living all this time.