Elfen Lied Fan Fiction / InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Elfen Lied Inuyasha ❯ Broken Dreams ( Chapter 19 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
Warm sunshine heated Kagome’s face as her eyes slowly fluttered open. It was later in the morning, probably 8 a.m. Inuyasha still laid lazily asleep upon the tree’s limb. Kagome could hear birds singing as she quietly slid from her bed.

She went to the window, gazing out. Cherry Blossoms drifted from their limbs, floating to the ground with grace. The tree’s leaves still shimmering with a light dew.

Kagome smiled as she studied the glorious image, Inuyasha fast asleep and unknowing of her presence. He laid against the tree’s trunk, his arms folded as he slept. His ear tweaked slightly as he snored. Only he could sleep through such a good morning. She thought. Kagome leaned on the window’s sill, resting her chin in her palm. At least he’s resting. It’ll do his wounds some good.

Inuyasha’s snoring died away as his consciousness began to surface. Lazily, he stretched, yawning. His amber eyes lifted open, watching Kagome.

"What’s up?" He asked, his voice still holding his sleepiness.

"Just looking at the morning." Kagome said. "It’s really lovely."

"Yeah?" He lifted himself off the trunk of the tree.

Kagome smiled, turning back into her room. "Of course, it’s not as pretty as your era." She said as she ventured to search for some fresh clothes.

Inuyasha didn’t reply. He watched quietly as the pink Cherry Blossoms danced within the warm summer’s breeze. The air was thick with their sweet scent.

Suddenly, something caught Inuyasha’s attention. Wanta was gone. He glanced down. His leash is gone too.

"Kagome." Inuyasha leapt through the window, landing softly in Kagome’s room.

"Yeah?" She asked, still rummaging through drawers.

"Wanta’s not outside." Inuyasha said stopping beside her.

"You mean Mayu’s dog?" Kagome asked straightening. "Mayu!"

Quickly, Kagome dropped the change of clothes, going to the door. Inuyasha followed, close behind. Kagome paused, Inuyasha bumping into her.

"What are y-?"

"Your hat." Kagome interrupted, yanking the cap from the hook by the wall. "Mayu still doesn’t know."

Inuyasha snatched it from her, his eyes narrowed.

"You know I’m getting really sick of hiding myself all the time."

"Well, if you didn’t look so weird maybe we wouldn’t have to." Kagome answered, teasing.

"Kagome." Inuyasha growled as she went out into the hall.

Nyuu’s eyes flew open curiously as Inuyasha and Kagome ran in. She still wore the hat that Kagome had given her yesterday to hide her horns. She wore a large loosed T-Shirt and a pair of old shorts that had belong to Kagome.

"Nyuu?"

"She’s gone." Kagome said, worried.

"Huh." Inuyasha lifted a small piece of paper from the bed. "What’s this?"

"Its-its a note." Kagome answered taking it from him.

"Nyuu." Nyuu said slipping from her bed and going to the two.

"A note?" Inuyasha watched as Kagome unfolded the paper. "What’s it say?"

Kagome read the note aloud, both Inuyasha and Nyuu listening with concern.


Dear Kagome, Inuyasha, and Nyuu


I am sorry for the trouble that I must have caused all of you. I am also sorry for calling you from the hospital. I enjoyed the company and excellent hospitality that you all have given me. I will promise to make it up to all of you. Somehow. Thank you.


Your friends,


Mayu and Wanta


"What do we do?" Inuyasha demanded. "We can’t just leave her out there!"

"I-I don’t know." Kagome said, worried.

"Nyuu." Nyuu said quietly.

"Maybe, we should go after her." Kagome suggested. "But, I don’t want to intrude on her."

"Intrude on her?" Inuyasha asked. "What’s there to intrude on? We already know she’s homeless."

"Yeah, I guess." Kagome answered.

"We have to go after her." Inuyasha announced, determined.

"Nyuu!" Nyuu answered, also determined.

Kagome studied their encouraging attitudes. If Mayu did need their help, then they would help her. Kagome smiled.

"Right!" She said. "Let’s do it!"


Mr. Kimuru stood gazing out his large window, his back to Kurama. Kurama stood in silence, his eyes upon the floor below him.

"This puts me in an awkward position, Dr. Kurama." Mr. Kimuru spoke still gazing out the window. "Do you realize, that if you hadn’t been so haste as to leave with Subject 9 that we may, very well, have captured Subject 13?"

"I do." He replied, his eyes still on the ground.

"Then, why?" Kimuru demanded. "Why abandon the very chance that we have been waiting for? The very mission we have so desperately tried to accomplish, just to bring Subject 9 back here!"

"She was dieing!" Kurama answered as his gaze jerked up, his eyes narrow.

"Dieing." Kimuru echoed, thoughtfully. "Death hasn’t been kind to you, has it Dr. Kurama." Kimuru said, his expression unreadable.

Dr. Kurama’s fist tightened, his teeth clenching. "I had to save her." He surrendered, relinquishing his resentment.

"Your efforts are in vain." Kimuru said, turning to face Kurama. "She is a Subject of this facility and as such she belongs naturally, to me."

Kurama glared at Kimuru from behind his glasses, his nails digging into his palms. "You wouldn’t." He growled.

"She is of no longer any use to me." Kimuru confirmed. "Without her own legs or arms she is utterly useless."

"What about the prosthesis-"

"She would never be the same." He continued ignoring Kurama’s injection. "She would always lack her original abilities. Therefore, she must be put down." Kurama was silent, defeated.

"Now go." Kimuru commanded turning back to the window. "I’ll see that it is done right away, so as not to prolong her suffering." He finished before dismissing Dr. Kurama.


Bandit sat, seemingly patient on an operating bed as the doctor and nurse returned to his room. He had been transported back into town early that morning for the next operation. The procedure on his arm went extremely well, the facility’s technology proving greatly advanced.

Not only was Bandit’s arm reinforced with metal plates but the surgeons had also temporarily numbed the nerve endings so that pain wouldn’t be a factor for a while. Bandit, ignoring the present doctor and nurse, curled his palm into a fist, marveling at the ease in how he controlled this technology.

The doctor cleared his throat. "The operation should go quickly." He turned to the nurse taking some pills from her hands. "If you would just take these, we can soon begin."

"What are they?" Bandit asked suspiciously.

"Pain killers." The doctor replied as Bandit took them from his hands. "They won’t kick in for the next fifteen minutes or so. That’s why we recommend you take them now, while we prepare."

Bandit laughed awkwardly. "All for the best." He said before becoming serious. "You wouldn’t want to hurt me now would you? For your sake."

The doctor paused, caught off guard by Bandit’s threat. Suddenly, Bandit leapt up knocking the doctor to the floor with his newly acquired arm. The nurse ran to his aid, kneeling down beside him.

Bandit studied his arm, smiling. "I think I like my new toy. Yes. It’s very powerful." He glared down at the doctor and nurse.

"Don’t you come after me. Got it!" He threatened. "I’ve killed dozens of people over my years of service. Don’t think I’ll hesitate with you."

Then without hesitation, he turned. Thrusting open the room’s window, he leapt outside. Taking off down into an alley.

Bandit ran hard, trying to distance himself from the hospital. He knew is he was caught, he could very well face a penalty and could even lose his job. But I can’t just let that bitch get away for what she did. He glanced down at his arm. No. He’d make her pay. Nice and slow.


Dr. Kurama stood beside Nana’s trolley. Her limbs were tightly bandaged so as to slow and stop her blood loss. Nana’s eyes were barely open, only slits from her exhaustion and pain. They were left alone, in a large empty metal room. Nana’s clothes and bandages were soaked with her blood, some staining the trolley as well.

"Pa..pa." Nana choked weakly. "I’m sorry."

"Don’t be Nana." He replied, hot tears surfacing. "You did good. You were a good girl." He gently patted her head, remembering what she had said earlier.

"Oh, Papa!" She said excitedly. "I’ve never worn these clothes before!"

"I’m glad you like them." Dr. Kurama replied absently. "Nana, are you ready?"

She stopped her dancing and looked up at him. "Yes, Papa! I am." She said. "But, you have to remember to pat me on the head when I do a good job." She added.

"Yes, Nana. I will." He said.

Tears streamed from his eyes as he smiled down at Nana. She truly was a good girl. She had did everything within her power to make him proud. Even if it meant sacrificing her own life.

"Papa." Nana managed looking up at him. "Don’t be sad." She paused trying to regain some strength. "Papa."

"Yes, Nana." Kurama asked more tears coming.

"Your ribbon Papa." She turned her head. "Your ribbon."

"Nana you-"

"Take it Papa." Nana said. "I want you to have it back."

"Nana." Kurama watched her warmly.

"It was so pretty Papa." Nana said softly. "I tried to take care of it."

"You did a good job, Nana." Kurama said, stroking her hair.

Suddenly, Nana flinched. Her strength was quickly draining. "Papa!" She cried, her pain bringing her tears. "I’m so afraid."

"I know, Nana." He said, holding her head. "I’m here, Nana. I’m here."

Nana opened her eyes, taking him in for the last time. "Goodbye, Papa." She said before her head fell limp with his hands, her eyes slowly closing.

"I’m here, Nana" Kurama whispered within the empty room. "I’m here."