Fake Fan Fiction ❯ Only Hope ❯ Dawn ( Chapter 11 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Dawn's bright, rising light peeked through the little hospital window where its beam shone on two sleeping detectives. Dee had had spent the night singing to Ryo, cleaning the sweat off his body, holding him when he would wake up delirious, and holding his hand as he slept. The words Dee whispered to him were loving and comforting until finally exhaustion had taken over his body and he fell asleep nuzzled against Ryo's hand.
 
As the sunlight rose, it hit Dee right in the eyes causing him to awaken. He rubbed his blood shot eyes and unshaven face and cracked his neck which was aching from sleeping in such a bad position. He heard a soft moan come from his lover and darted his eyes over to him. Ryo's eyes were blinking open and his breathing was even.
 
“Ryo?” Dee said as he clasped Ryo's hands.
 
Ryo turned his glistening face to Dee and smiled through the oxygen mask.
 
“Hi Dee…” He said.
 
Dee's face broke out into a widened grin. Ryo wasn't tossing and turning, he recognized Dee and he seemed alert.
 
“Hey baby!” Dee said happily reaching over to touch Ryo's forehead. “How you feeling?”
 
Ryo shifted into a more comfortable position.
 
“Tired, but better.” He said sweetly, but when he got a look at Dee he giggled. “You look terrible though.”
 
“Well, sleeping in a hospital room isn't exactly luxurious.” He said. “You had us scared there for awhile.”
 
Just before Ryo could respond a nurse poked her head in.
 
“Well, well look whose up!” She said sweetly as she approached Ryo. There she took his temperature and performed a few basic tests.
 
“Look's like someone's fever has broken!” She said smiling. “I'll call Dr. Madison just to be sure!”
 
Then she looked over at Dee.
 
“You look like you could use some sleep young man!”
 
Ryo laughed as Dee glared.
 
“Gee thanks.” He said. The nurse left and Dee took Ryo's hand again.
 
“God you had me worried sick.” He said to Ryo. “That damn perp is gonna pay for hurting you like this.”
 
Ryo took off his oxygen mask, sat up slowly, and reached his hand up to caress Dee's face.
 
“It's okay Dee.” He said. “I'm sorry I had you worried.”
 
He smiled when he saw the guitar by the bed.
 
“I thought I was dreaming when I heard you singing.” He said.
 
Dee glanced over at his guitar.
 
“Well, I was just trying to make you comfortable.” He said. “That fever had you so out of it. You would wake up and not really know what's going on then you would go right back to sleep. Bikky and Carol were also here before and they took good care of you too. Fetching things when I asked, talking with you, trying to keep you relaxed.”
 
Ryo smiled.
 
“That's my boy.” He said. “Where is he? He didn't stay here either I hope!”
Dee shook his head.
 
“Nah, I sent them both home a little after midnight. I let him stay home from school one more day so he could come back to see you provided he got home and got some sleep.”
 
Ryo grimaced.
 
“I would have preferred he didn't miss school on the count of me, but knowing him, he would have skipped anyway to be with me.”
 
“Sounds like the brat to me.”
 
Just then the door opened and in popped a blonde head.
 
“RYO, YOU'RE UP!!!” It yelled.
 
Ryo's face lit up.
 
“HEY KIDDO!” He said and outstretched his arms to give his son a big hug.
 
“You okay Ryo!” Bikky asked as he held Ryo tight.
 
“I'm doing great now that you're here!” Ryo said. “Dee told me that you have been quite the trooper while I have been in here.”
 
Bikky smiled shyly.
 
“Well yeah, I wanted you to get better.” He said. “I was worried about you. You were really sick last night.”
 
Ryo rubbed his son's head.
 
“Well, you don't need to worry anymore.” He said kindly. “I'm feeling much better.”
 
He looked up at Ryo.
 
“Dude you're sweaty! You really need a shower!”
 
Ryo glared, but then laughed as he held his son in a warm embrace.
 
“I love you kid!” He said laughing for the first time in forty eight hours.
 
Dee smiled as he watched Bikky and Ryo catch up with each other. A half an hour later the kind face of Dr. Madison appeared.
 
“Well hello Detective Maclean.” He said kindly walking over to the bed. “Doing much better I see.”
“Thanks to my boys here.” Ryo said smiling.
 
The doctor performed a few tests including drawing some blood.
 
“Well you're temperature has indeed dropped.” He said grinning. “The blood test will tell us if any of the infection is still active, but by the looks of things the antibiotics got to it just in time!”
 
“So is he gonna be okay doctor!?” Bikky asked. “No more surprises like last night?”
 
Dr. Madison smiled and patted Bikky's head.
 
“Looks like it son.” He said.
 
“Thank God.” Dee said.
 
“I'll let you all alone for the time being.” The doctor said. “I should have the results of the blood test this afternoon.”
 
“Thank you doctor.” Ryo said.
 
The three were all smiles as the doctor left. Suddenly, a loud rumble broke the silence.
 
“Whups.” Bikky said and clutched his stomach laughing.
 
“Bikky!” Ryo scolded. “Did you skip breakfast!?”
“He he. Guilty.” The boy said sheepishly.
 
However, another rumble, a lot louder then Bikky's echoed in the room.
 
Dee turned his head and whistled.
 
“You too Dee?” Ryo asked cocking an eyebrow.

“I may have skipped a meal or two.” He said realizing he hadn't eaten since before he and Bikky had left for the hospital the previous day.
 
Ryo crossed his arms.
 
“OUT YOU TWO!” He said. “AND DON'T COME BACK UNTIL YOU HAVE EATEN SOMETHING SUBSTANTIAL AND DEE YOU HAVE TAKEN A SHOWER AND SHAVED!”
 
“Yep, Ryo's back.” Dee said.
 
“Uh huh.” Bikky said just as his stomach rumbled loudly again.
 
Ryo cocked an eyebrow and pointed to the door.
 
“NOW BOYS!”
 
“ALRIGHT, ALRIGHT!” Dee said. “WE'RE GOING! Come on Bikky we'll grab some food at the diner across the street. And I'll use the shower here after I eat. I brought my stuff.”
 
They were just about to leave when one more loud rumble echoed in the room. Dee and Ryo looked at each and then Ryo who was clutching his own stomach and blushed.
 
“Umm, maybe you can bring me back something too?” He asked sweetly.
 
Dee smiled and walked over to his lover and planted a warm kiss on his mouth. The first REAL kiss in twenty four hours.
 
“You got it beautiful.” He said holding Ryo close. “I love you.”
 
“I love you too Dee.” Ryo said gazing into the jade eyes.
 
“AND TAKE A SHOWER IN WHILE WE'RE GONE!” Bikky yelled interrupting the lover's reunion. “YOU STINK!”
 
He slammed the door just in time before Ryo's pillow hit him smack in the face.
 
Dee laughed as he put his head on Ryo's chest and wrapped his arms around him.
 
`Thanks Big Guy.” Dee silently prayed. “I owe ya one.”